The Boston Consulting Group Summer Internship Program

Date: 2013

Interns, royalty of the office

To list a few: - Frequent interactions with industry leaders within the firm - Emphasis on cultivating a culture of support - Opportunities to be an owner of a small part of the project, with support at hand if needed - Culture of constant feedback - Constant search for ways to make internship enjoyable - High (~100%) offer rates for full-time

Honestly, there was not a single part of the internship that did not meet of exceed expectations.

BCG provides great support in entering the management consulting industry and works really hard to cater to your growth needs.

Date: 2013

Wonderful experience with amazing people who care a great deal about people development

- Chance to work with really smart people - Interest BCG takes in your development (formal training, formal / informal mentoring and feedback, opportunities to do REAL work, etc.) - Awesome sponsored events - Great office culture

- Work can be cyclical--go from 0 to 60 really fast, and then back down, but that's not necessarily a negative as it just means thigns are changing all the time

Everyone is super nice, welcoming, and helpful. You learn a TON. The office culture is fantastic--at least half of all cases are local, everyone is very accommadating and cognizant of different work schedules/other committments, face time is not required--just have to get your work done.

Date: 2013

Consulting at BCG is fun, interesting, intellectually challenging

Real substantive work experience, mentorship, team collaboration

Traveling to client site each week

Great coworkers, intellectually interesting, very well organized internship program

Date: 2013

BCG delivers on recruiting promises

high-impact work, exposure to very senior partners/clients, impressive coworkers

nothing comes to mind

BCG has a more appealing culture than its competitor.

Date: 2013

Challenging and rewarding, with incredible responsibilities and opportunities from day one.

Getting to really dig into what consulting is like on a day-to-day basis

The specific project that I was working on

BCG is an incredibly well-run organization: everything from training to feedback to work environment is extremely polished. I have yet to work in an environment as impressive as this one.

awesome

engagement with managers at clients and a great team to work with at the firm

a few of the days had very long hours and difficult deadlines

consider how willing you are to travel and deal with uncertainty

Date: 2013

On your mark, get set....Go!

The people, stimulating projects, full-time responsibilities, predictable time off (PTO), team and company events

Long hours and sometimes relentless pace

The opportunities for personal development are great. The number of hours can be high.

Advice to Management

Manage expectations of long hours up front.

Date: 2013

BCG Summer Internships: Honesty over Selling.

The realistic nature of the work. Seeing my work presented to clients and being able to relly own my modules. The expectation for an intern is high, and they treat you like a full-time employee, making for a steep improvement in your performence in the first few weeks.

The summer experience depends heavily on the project manager and case that the intern is staffed on. Therefore, the intern must try to extrapolate an average of all the cases over the summer instead of referring to his/her own.

Find someone to trust in the company--someone who will be honest with you and walk besides you with your concerns and doubts. It makes for a much more comfortable experience.

Advice to Management

Training could be a bit more rigorous to lessen the learning curve.

Date: 2013

Unlimited learning and development potential at BCG

- availability of training, support, mentorship, and feedback - the 'real' nature of cases interns are staffed on

there is a lot of ambiguity in a staffing model with short cases

If you want to work very hard, learn a lot, and spend a summer with the smartest people you've ever met, this is the place to be.

Date: 2013

BCG's Internship Program: A Chance to Grow Immensely in a Supportive, Fast-Paced Environment, All While Helping Drive Tremendous Value

Ability to actually work on complex client issues, such as airline pricing, and constant in-depth feedback on everything from soft skills and teamwork style to analytical capabilities and client interaction. There were tons of internship events on the weekend to help bring the intern class together as well as let us bond with the rest of the office. Also, the amount of training given to us in the short period was huge.

The relatively short length of the internship, being only 10 weeks, by about the time you feel like you've gotten up to speed, it's already over.

If you are serious about learning about management consulting and you'd like to work for one of if not the best in the business, then try to secure this internship. I will caution that you should be prepared for 60+ hour weeks like in any management consulting job though.