Intern at The Boston Consulting Group Summer Internship Program? Submit a Review

A great learning opportunity to experience what consulting really is, in a great firm

Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Impressive access to high level management problems. Great coaching and support to help me succeed in my internship. Many opportunities to know the firm better.

The ownership I had of the problems was limited (probably because I was an intern).

It is important to take profit of the opportunities during the internship. This means working hard to get a full time offer, but also getting to know people, talk about their areas of expertise, and understanding what you like most and where you could fit. BCG offers great opportunities to do that during the internship.

What do you think that are the key drivers in the price of this product? What would be the key criteria for consumers before purchase?

What are your ideas to reduce costs in this scenario?

Advice to Management

Consulting is a hard job that requires long hours. BCG has a program called PTO that helps to make it sustainable. It makes an effort to give people flexibility: that way, the amount of hours would still be high, but people would be able to organize themselves better. My advice is to foster PTO even more and apply it uniformly in the different projects.

Diverse experience with dedicated development

San Francisco, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Hands on experience, coaching

Work hours

Understand that you're getting into a competitive job with high expectations. It's tough, but very rewarding. If you're up for the challenge of continuously being developed in an honest way - then go for it! Feedback is big at BCG, and you need to be humble enough to accept it, while confident and dedicated enough to see the feedback through.

Tell me about a time when X happened (behavioral) and case interviews

Advice to Management

Better work-life balance, higher compensation, more PTO

Work with highly intelligent people on complex, challenging problems

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, the level of responsibility, the constant challenge and learning

The hours and the pace of work

If you enjoy learning and being challenged, you'll enjoy working at BCG

Learn to case interview

Own your experience and deliver the best solutions to the client

San Francisco, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great feedback culture allowed me to continously learn; high client interaction; high interaction with senior management at BCG; great opportunities to network and have fun with fellow interns

Long hours

BCG is a great place to continue learning and expanding your horizons. Boredom is impossible, since you will always be challenged. You will be empowered and encouraged to take ownership of your work.

Advice to Management

Hours could be more balanced amongst different projects

High impact project, which involved deep analysis, people skills, and dealing with ambiguity.

Mexico City | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

- Strong ownership

- Collaborative and smart team

- Interest from the company to grow its employees

- Fast learning curve, and many challenges

- Unpredictable hours / work load

- BCG is a place where employees will be challenged, no matter the project they are in. You will work with highly talented and collaborative individuals, providing the customer with impactful recommendations.

- BCG is also highly concerned with its employees develompent.

- Hours will be unpredictable, you have to be very flexible.

- Market sizing

- Project valuations

- New product introduction

- Turnaround challenges in a company

Advice to Management

- Keep on working towards improving work life balance. There is an ongoing effort to establish rules to respect this balance, which in my opinion is a good solution to this matter. Consultants will perform better as they improve their work life balance.

BCG-- Best Career Growth

-feedback

-social events

-incredible network of advisors and guides for summer interns

-majority culture of working more rather than working smart

Do you like the people?

Summer consultant learns a lot and makes a meaningful impact on a large corporation

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Responsibility and exposure, mentorship and learning, teaming

Work-life balance was not great, stressful at times

Focus on your fit with the people you meet - it makes a huge difference

Lots of travel with the same four people

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Best aspect was definitely the people, the benefits were also nice (not having to pay for meals, etc. was a big help in terms of $), the structure of the internship was great (they did a ton of intern events and tried really hard to help us meet other people in the office, explore the city, etc.)

The amount of work was definitely not something I enjoyed. I often worked until 11pm, midnight ish, and while that is certainly not bad compared to some other jobs, I found it exhausting and didn't really enjoy it. The travel was also difficult - I was traveling to Puerto Rico and leaving every Monday and returning every Thursday, and while it was fun/doable for the first few weeks, by the end I was pretty exhausted and shocked that the rest of my team had been doing that for months.

Definitely try to learn as much as you can about the actual cases that people are working on. People often think about consulting in general and theoretical terms, but in order to understand whether you'll enjoy the job/the work, you need to just ask as many people as possible what they actually do on a day to day basis.

Most cases are pretty standard - how to fix falling profits, whether a company should enter a certain market, etc. Most of the fit questions were also expected - name an experience when you felt like you failed, why consulting and not x industry that you've worked in previously, when have you had to make a difficult decision, etc.

Advice to Management

Honestly, not much - I think the issues I had with BCG (e.g. hours) are more a problem with the industry rather than BCG itself, and I don't blame BCG for having to work late some nights - it's expected with the job.