Intern at The Boston Consulting Group Summer Internship Program? Submit a Review

A great learning opportunity to experience what consulting really is, in a great firm

Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Impressive access to high level management problems. Great coaching and support to help me succeed in my internship. Many opportunities to know the firm better.

The ownership I had of the problems was limited (probably because I was an intern).

It is important to take profit of the opportunities during the internship. This means working hard to get a full time offer, but also getting to know people, talk about their areas of expertise, and understanding what you like most and where you could fit. BCG offers great opportunities to do that during the internship.

What do you think that are the key drivers in the price of this product? What would be the key criteria for consumers before purchase?

What are your ideas to reduce costs in this scenario?

Advice to Management

Consulting is a hard job that requires long hours. BCG has a program called PTO that helps to make it sustainable. It makes an effort to give people flexibility: that way, the amount of hours would still be high, but people would be able to organize themselves better. My advice is to foster PTO even more and apply it uniformly in the different projects.

10 week crash course on analysis and presence. Realistic window into life of FT consultant

Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Compensation, program structure, people

Less opportunity to interact with home office, given 4 day a week travel schedule

Good way to find out if you'd like the consultant life style

An excellent opportunity with a world-class team

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with an incredible team of extremely bright people

Workload was occasionally unpredictable, although my team was always mindful of those additional obligations.

There simply is no other organization that thinks as broadly and as open-mindedly as we do. If you have genuine intellectual curiosity about business and the world around you more generally, then this is the place to be.

Advice to Management

My team worked well, but I know that some others do not. I would appreciate it if upward feedback were a larger determinant of bonus/promotion decisions.

BCG trusts interns with tons of responsibility and ownership over work while providing amazing mentorship

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Tons of responsibilities and ownership

Amazing mentorship

Incredibly fun events

Challenging environment

Bright people all around

Sometimes the hours can get a bit intense

If you want to gain true business acumen while learning about multiple and diverse aspects of strategy and management in corporations from the brightest and most creative minds in the industry, BCG is the place to start your career

Pushing your mind where you never thought it could go to solve huge problems (with a great group of people).

Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The project, the opportunity to stretch my mind, the people I got to work with every day, the opportunity to tackle big problems no-one has solved before.

I would have liked more opportunities to meet with the other interns.

Throw yourself in 100%. The more you engage in the internship the more you will get out of it. If you want to push your mind right to its limit and then take another step beyond that, this is the job for you.

A large producer of fertilizer has been losing money because of a new GMO that doesn't require fertilization. What do you do?

Advice to Management

I think it would be great to give the interns more opportunities to interact with each other. Increased flexibility on location/mobility (particularly as the economy continues to move towards a geographically dispersed workforce).

Challenging work with dedicated team, realistic of the life of full-time consultants

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

People, colocating with team, office dynamic

Senior team was not always present / available - nature of their jobs

Get to know the people and learn through them what works best at the firm - you will feel the chemistry if it is the right fit.

Great experience leads to full time offer

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was paired with a very good team for the summer. My PL was a great guy who is not only extremely smart but also cared about making sure I had a good summer. The other consultants I worked with were great as well. The work itself was interesting. I got paired with a partner sponsor for the summer; we checked in with each other fairly regularly and he was there to help make sure I was getting what I wanted out of the internship as well. Plus, there were a ton of really fun intern events (almost one per week), which were followed by bottle service at the club about 60% of the time.

I actually had fairly reasonable hours (~55/week) but if you're going to go into consulting, you just have to be aware that it can get a lot worse than that. After about 65 hours/week, I start to feel unbalanced and stop enjoying my work as much. Work at BCG, as in any consulting firm, has the potential to be like that. BCG has implemented PTO (google it) to help ensure life as a consultant is sustainable.

Meet as many people as you can from each consulting firm you're considering. BCG, Bain, and McKinsey do have different cultures, and it's important to find which one(s) you vibe with best. The work is fairly similar between MBB, so is the pay, and so are the exit opportunities. The cultures are different, so pay attention to that.

Phenomenal consulting summer experience

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people and the company culture.

I loved the people and the company culture.

Have a positive attitude.

Excellent Place to Learn and Grow with Great Co-workers

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

-Lots of opportunities for learning

-Expected to perform and given real tasks to complete

-Very fast pace, you'll never be bored

-Given a lot of responsibility, and interaction with people people at high levels of client organizations

-Hours could be long (typically 55-60), but that's a given for this type of job

Be mindful of what you're looking for, this is a great job but it's not a 9-5.

High-impact casework in the healthcare industry with an outstanding team

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Ability to generate meaningful content, numerous learning opportunities, structured social interactions with peers and greater office, work-life balance

Unfortunately, due to duration of the internship, was unable to see the end result of my work on my case.

Ensure that you request (and receive) timely feedback, push for opportunities to engage with the Partner(s) / Principal(s), and push for speed-to-output at maximal levels.

1.) Give an example of a time where you made an impact with the client / a team

Advice to Management

Perhaps more transparency on the social calendar to ensure adequate participation; planning more events on weekends to enable those on remote cases to participate.