The Boston Consulting Group Summer Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #5 Best Consulting Internships  /  #19 Best Overall Internships

Pushing your mind where you never thought it could go to solve huge problems (with a great group of people).
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The project, the opportunity to stretch my mind, the people I got to work with every day, the opportunity to tackle big problems no-one has solved before.

I would have liked more opportunities to meet with the other interns.

Throw yourself in 100%. The more you engage in the internship the more you will get out of it. If you want to push your mind right to its limit and then take another step beyond that, this is the job for you.

A large producer of fertilizer has been losing money because of a new GMO that doesn't require fertilization. What do you do?

Advice to Management

I think it would be great to give the interns more opportunities to interact with each other. Increased flexibility on location/mobility (particularly as the economy continues to move towards a geographically dispersed workforce).

Great experience leads to full time offer
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was paired with a very good team for the summer. My PL was a great guy who is not only extremely smart but also cared about making sure I had a good summer. The other consultants I worked with were great as well. The work itself was interesting. I got paired with a partner sponsor for the summer; we checked in with each other fairly regularly and he was there to help make sure I was getting what I wanted out of the internship as well. Plus, there were a ton of really fun intern events (almost one per week), which were followed by bottle service at the club about 60% of the time.

I actually had fairly reasonable hours (~55/week) but if you're going to go into consulting, you just have to be aware that it can get a lot worse than that. After about 65 hours/week, I start to feel unbalanced and stop enjoying my work as much. Work at BCG, as in any consulting firm, has the potential to be like that. BCG has implemented PTO (google it) to help ensure life as a consultant is sustainable.

Meet as many people as you can from each consulting firm you're considering. BCG, Bain, and McKinsey do have different cultures, and it's important to find which one(s) you vibe with best. The work is fairly similar between MBB, so is the pay, and so are the exit opportunities. The cultures are different, so pay attention to that.

Excellent Place to Learn and Grow with Great Co-workers
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

-Lots of opportunities for learning

-Expected to perform and given real tasks to complete

-Very fast pace, you'll never be bored

-Given a lot of responsibility, and interaction with people people at high levels of client organizations

-Hours could be long (typically 55-60), but that's a given for this type of job

Be mindful of what you're looking for, this is a great job but it's not a 9-5.

Phenomenal consulting summer experience
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people and the company culture.

I loved the people and the company culture.

Have a positive attitude.

I got to experience what being a BCG consultant is like. It is a demanding but rewarding job.
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting an inside view of what the work really is. Interacting with the people you would be working on in the future and figuring it if you like them or not.

I worked on an organizational restructuring case and that is not my favorite topic.

Try to get to know people who work for the firm. It is very hard to evaluate the job in itself from the outside; it is easier to determine if you like the people that work at each firm.

Case interviews and behavioral questions.

Advice to Management

The hours are pretty demanding but I guess that is much more a function of the industry rather than of the firm. The employee base could be a little bit more diverse.

Strategy consulting
Seattle, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with, the ability to work autonomously with high-level client stakeholders

Not applicable

Take initiative and over-communicate

Advice to Management

Not applicable - great internship

Fast paced, employee focused culture with real data analysis
Philadelphia, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great team, very smart people, fast paced, exciting to travel, interesting work

Repetitive - lot of powerpoint/excel/other programs. May feel too on rails for the more creative.

If you're good with a little more structure, appreciate a place where they do take care of their people, then BCG is great

Typical case interviews

A great learning opportunity to experience what consulting really is, in a great firm
Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Impressive access to high level management problems. Great coaching and support to help me succeed in my internship. Many opportunities to know the firm better.

The ownership I had of the problems was limited (probably because I was an intern).

It is important to take profit of the opportunities during the internship. This means working hard to get a full time offer, but also getting to know people, talk about their areas of expertise, and understanding what you like most and where you could fit. BCG offers great opportunities to do that during the internship.

What do you think that are the key drivers in the price of this product? What would be the key criteria for consumers before purchase?

What are your ideas to reduce costs in this scenario?

Advice to Management

Consulting is a hard job that requires long hours. BCG has a program called PTO that helps to make it sustainable. It makes an effort to give people flexibility: that way, the amount of hours would still be high, but people would be able to organize themselves better. My advice is to foster PTO even more and apply it uniformly in the different projects.

BCG trusts interns with tons of responsibility and ownership over work while providing amazing mentorship
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Tons of responsibilities and ownership

Amazing mentorship

Incredibly fun events

Challenging environment

Bright people all around

Sometimes the hours can get a bit intense

If you want to gain true business acumen while learning about multiple and diverse aspects of strategy and management in corporations from the brightest and most creative minds in the industry, BCG is the place to start your career

10 week crash course on analysis and presence. Realistic window into life of FT consultant
Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Compensation, program structure, people

Less opportunity to interact with home office, given 4 day a week travel schedule

Good way to find out if you'd like the consultant life style