The Boston Consulting Group Summer Internship Program

Date: 2013

A snapshot of the education you'll receive as a management consultant, with the social support network to help you transition

The reality of my case experience, the sense of ownership I felt over my work, and the social connections the company helped facilitate

Most interns, including myself, were only exposed to one case experience--would be nice if timing worked out to get multiple, shorter experiences

This is definitely the best job you can have as a 22-year-old, and starting as an intern softens the transition to an extremely challenging profession

Date: 2013

Excellent introduction to consulting and life at BCG

all employees caring a lot about the interns intern events

Nothing in particular comes to mind

Getting to know the people is the best way to get a good feel for the company and what it is about.

Date: 2013

Amazing people; impactful work; excellent opportunities and growth

1. Quality of the people in the firm and the support they give interns 2. Development opportunities 3. Perks / benefits

It being client services

Try to get a sense for the firm and office culture

Date: 2013

Impactful experience at the highest levels of business while being surrounded by very intelligent people.

The particular office/system I was a part of had very friendly, personable, and intelligent people. The consultants on my particular team were very helpful and incredibly good at their job, which allowed me to learn from them. The problems we were solving were interesting and at the top of the senior management's agenda. The clients we were working with and presenting to were at the highest levels of major companies. The level of responsibility given to interns was substantial and allowed for a great learning curve. The resources were provided to us (feedback, training, knowledge teams) to help us succeed in the internship.

Anything here would be nitpicky, the internship is the best you can get in my opinion if you are interested in consulting, or business in general.

Work hard during the interview process to get the job - It is well worth it in the end. However, make sure you are truly passionate about consulting and the work consultants do, otherwise you may balk when hours get long.

Date: 2013

Perfect case experience, team and office culture. I couldn't have asked for a better summer experience.

The work is interesting and challenging. The internship class is diverse and bonded quickly. There were a lot of fun events throughout the summer.

There was nothing that I didn't like.

Make sure to engage with on-campus representatives early in the process. While breadth is important, get to know a couple people really well.

Date: 2013

Great people, real responsibility, unbelievable perks and invaluable learnings

You get staffed on an actual case, and are provided with the right amount of guidance and freedom to develop over the summer. The intern events, people, and perks were other aspects that were great.

Travelling means that you are not home often, so it is hard to settle in to a new city if you take up the internship in a different place.

Definitely apply for the Summer Associate program! while here, talk to as many people as you can, and make sure you try to take up some challenging projects so that you know how it would feel like to work here full time.

Advice to Management

Perhaps trying to match up interns better to their project preferences.

Date: 2013

Challenging yet fun learning experience

Level of responsibility Access to senior leadership Impact of my work Fun social events

Numbers of hours and travel

Talk to people, it really is the only way to figure out if you fit with a firm.

Date: 2013

Unlimited learning and development potential at BCG

- availability of training, support, mentorship, and feedback - the 'real' nature of cases interns are staffed on

there is a lot of ambiguity in a staffing model with short cases

If you want to work very hard, learn a lot, and spend a summer with the smartest people you've ever met, this is the place to be.

Greatest possible summer experience

Events with other interns, opportunities for development through formal and informal feedback, opportunities to engage with partners, principals, and more in relaxed environments

Can't decide, it's all good

Unparalleled opportunities for growth, incredible flexibility, extreme dedication to the summer intern experience (people will ensure that you learn a lot and are challenged, but also have tons of fun). The work-life balance is as good as it can get in an industry this intense and the culture is second-to-none.

Advice to Management

Better snacks, but that's not even an issue obviously

Living life as a management consultant for 10 weeks

Lots of responsibility very quickly, brought into team immediately as full team member, interesting work

Long hours, some busy work

Speak up early--you have a role on your team, and people want to hear your ideas/opinions!

Advice to Management

Nothing--they were great