Intern at The Boston Consulting Group Summer Internship Program? Submit a Review

A great learning opportunity to experience what consulting really is, in a great firm

Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Impressive access to high level management problems. Great coaching and support to help me succeed in my internship. Many opportunities to know the firm better.

The ownership I had of the problems was limited (probably because I was an intern).

It is important to take profit of the opportunities during the internship. This means working hard to get a full time offer, but also getting to know people, talk about their areas of expertise, and understanding what you like most and where you could fit. BCG offers great opportunities to do that during the internship.

What do you think that are the key drivers in the price of this product? What would be the key criteria for consumers before purchase?

What are your ideas to reduce costs in this scenario?

Advice to Management

Consulting is a hard job that requires long hours. BCG has a program called PTO that helps to make it sustainable. It makes an effort to give people flexibility: that way, the amount of hours would still be high, but people would be able to organize themselves better. My advice is to foster PTO even more and apply it uniformly in the different projects.

Strategy consulting

Seattle, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with, the ability to work autonomously with high-level client stakeholders

Not applicable

Take initiative and over-communicate

Advice to Management

Not applicable - great internship

An excellent opportunity with a world-class team

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with an incredible team of extremely bright people

Workload was occasionally unpredictable, although my team was always mindful of those additional obligations.

There simply is no other organization that thinks as broadly and as open-mindedly as we do. If you have genuine intellectual curiosity about business and the world around you more generally, then this is the place to be.

Advice to Management

My team worked well, but I know that some others do not. I would appreciate it if upward feedback were a larger determinant of bonus/promotion decisions.

BCG trusts interns with tons of responsibility and ownership over work while providing amazing mentorship

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Tons of responsibilities and ownership

Amazing mentorship

Incredibly fun events

Challenging environment

Bright people all around

Sometimes the hours can get a bit intense

If you want to gain true business acumen while learning about multiple and diverse aspects of strategy and management in corporations from the brightest and most creative minds in the industry, BCG is the place to start your career

High-impact casework in the healthcare industry with an outstanding team

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Ability to generate meaningful content, numerous learning opportunities, structured social interactions with peers and greater office, work-life balance

Unfortunately, due to duration of the internship, was unable to see the end result of my work on my case.

Ensure that you request (and receive) timely feedback, push for opportunities to engage with the Partner(s) / Principal(s), and push for speed-to-output at maximal levels.

1.) Give an example of a time where you made an impact with the client / a team

Advice to Management

Perhaps more transparency on the social calendar to ensure adequate participation; planning more events on weekends to enable those on remote cases to participate.

I got to experience what being a BCG consultant is like. It is a demanding but rewarding job.

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting an inside view of what the work really is. Interacting with the people you would be working on in the future and figuring it if you like them or not.

I worked on an organizational restructuring case and that is not my favorite topic.

Try to get to know people who work for the firm. It is very hard to evaluate the job in itself from the outside; it is easier to determine if you like the people that work at each firm.

Case interviews and behavioral questions.

Advice to Management

The hours are pretty demanding but I guess that is much more a function of the industry rather than of the firm. The employee base could be a little bit more diverse.

Pushing your mind where you never thought it could go to solve huge problems (with a great group of people).

Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The project, the opportunity to stretch my mind, the people I got to work with every day, the opportunity to tackle big problems no-one has solved before.

I would have liked more opportunities to meet with the other interns.

Throw yourself in 100%. The more you engage in the internship the more you will get out of it. If you want to push your mind right to its limit and then take another step beyond that, this is the job for you.

A large producer of fertilizer has been losing money because of a new GMO that doesn't require fertilization. What do you do?

Advice to Management

I think it would be great to give the interns more opportunities to interact with each other. Increased flexibility on location/mobility (particularly as the economy continues to move towards a geographically dispersed workforce).

10 week crash course on analysis and presence. Realistic window into life of FT consultant

Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Compensation, program structure, people

Less opportunity to interact with home office, given 4 day a week travel schedule

Good way to find out if you'd like the consultant life style

Fast paced, employee focused culture with real data analysis

Philadelphia, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great team, very smart people, fast paced, exciting to travel, interesting work

Repetitive - lot of powerpoint/excel/other programs. May feel too on rails for the more creative.

If you're good with a little more structure, appreciate a place where they do take care of their people, then BCG is great

Typical case interviews

Deep development and phenomenal network of support

San Francisco, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Supportive management - Partners very involved in my development

At times longer hours - also traveling across the country to the client

Ask questions - everyone is there to support you.

What is your greatest weakness?

Advice to Management

Loved the team events - keep them coming!