Intern at The Boston Consulting Group Summer Internship Program? Submit a Review

BCG rewards hard work with generous benefits, collaborative culture, and excellent development opportunities.

Houston, TX | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Stimulating work, supportive case team, fun intern events, our intern group, and home office network

Limited schedule flexibility while traveling and little client exposure

Be an active member of your case team, really "own" your work, communicate regularly with your manager to get feedback on your work, and take advantage of all of the events!

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your people. The work schedule can be difficult on employees and their families, but the opportunities for career and personal development and the benefits (compensation, health insurance, generous travel policies, case team and office events) make it an incredible place to work.

Great people, important work, and very nice benefits

Philadelphia, PA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

My team, flying first class, the events planned for interns

Being away from my family Monday - Thursday

Really think about what type of project you request

Advice to Management

Balance summer experiences across offices and interns - some interns worked far longer hours than others. Some offices had far greater entertainment budgets than others, etc.

Case on growth opportunity for a pharmaceutical company, written case on portfolio strategy for a pharma company, case on marketing strategy for a baby formula company, questions on experiences working in teams, challenges, walk through resume ,etc.

The best summer of my life

Chicago, IL | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people are amazing, the work is super interesting and high-impact, the BCG-planned events for the interns are unbelievable, everyone is willing to help and support you, and most of all, the leadership of the company truly cares that we are always learning and happy.

I have zero complaints about the internship.

Talk to everyone you can- these people are amazing and have such a depth of knowledge. Drive your work and don't be afraid to speak up, everyone wants to know what you're thinking. In fact, what you're thinking is essential to solving the problem at hand. But most of all, have fun. The team wants this to be something you'll never forget so make sure to participate in all the events and have as much fun as you can.

Like any other consulting firm, BCG will have a behavioral and case interview. Practice the cases!

Mentorship, experience, adventures -- oh my!

Jacksonville, FL | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The program is set in place so that you are bound to have a really, really good time while also getting a taste of what this job is actually like full-time. We as an intern class had an absolute blast with all of the events that BCG spoiled us with. I also really appreciated all the mentorship opportunities that were available on a regular basis, it provided the opportunity for me to decide if this was something I really wanted to commit to or not.

Ambiguity-- which I am sure will become easier with time. Making assumptions when I didn't have the confidence behind it. Dealing with data/numbers that either didn't make sense or were shaky... part of the job... but hard to handle when I was new and nervous to begin with!

Ask for feedback and respond to it in a strong way! From the start! BCG is very transparent in feedback, and if you can demonstrate that you can handle all kinds of feedback and excel, you'll be great!

Advice to Management

Better options at the intern breakfasts?

An intense 10 week deep dive into life as a management consultant

Los Angeles, CA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

- Interns were treated like real employees with high impact work
- Incredible support network that encompassed the scope of the 10 weeks and a potential future at BCG
- Fun-filled weekend events that highlighted importance of bonding with our class

- Due to the nature of the job, we only got to see our "summer class" once a week

For individuals looking for roles in the business world, there really is no better place than BCG to start your career. From the moment you begin the internship, you are treated as a high value asset, which means they are committed to helping you be successful via the resources and support networks within the firm. BCG is a place that also highly values an iterative and collaborative style, that is distinctly unique to the firm. Additionally, the firm is consistently invested in your success, both inside and outside of BCG; what this means is that there is great support for everything ranging from accomplishing day-to-day tasks to applying for graduate school. Finally, and most importantly, the people you will meet are some of the most intelligent yet kind and humble professionals I've ever met.

Great people, challenging and meaningful work, understanding culture and infinite learning opportunities

San Francisco, CA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Autonomy on my workstream, which allowed me to add value to the client immediately (rather than being overseen at every step of the way). Co-workers were very welcoming and a lot of fun to be around both at work and outside of work. Great intern events (Happy hours, weekend long intern retreat in San Diego, company wide west coast retreat in Palos Verdes, etc). Good work life balance.

Travel cases made it hard to get to know San Fransisco in 10 weeks. Limited help in finding accommodations for the summer in San Francisco, which is notoriously hard to do coming from out of state.

If you are interested in a great workplace culture, interesting people, great travel opportunities, small teams and autonomy from the get go, BCG is for you. If you are interested in the biggest brand name, a cutthroat workplace, or a frat like environment, its not right for you.

Advice to Management

Best workplace environment I have ever seen. Only advice would be help with relocation and finding housing.

The most interesting work I have ever experienced with great colleagues

New York, NY | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I worked on strategic problems that other firms simply would not have access to. The people I worked with were fantastic from associate level to partner and I had a great deal of client interaction. Treated extremely well over summer by BCG professionally and personally.

Hours can be long but this will be the case in any top tier firm

BCG cares greatly about it's people and make that clear at every available opportunity. Senior co-workers seemed very happy and BCG allows people to forge their own path in terms of what types of cases they want to work on. Exit opportunities appear to be numerous and lucrative

Learning Beyond Capacity

Boston, MA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with were extremely focused on helping me grow and supporting my needs. This allowed me to learn so much more than I ever anticipated. I also really appreciated the emphasis BCG places on work life balance and ensuring that I am neither overwhelmed nor bored.

My case was particularly difficult so my hours were not ideal. That being said the amount of work changes case to case, so it really varies among summer interns.

BCG is definitely a firm focused on personal growth. In order to succeed you need to be interested in learning about all different kinds of industries and functional practices. I learned more in 10 weeks than I ever imagined possible.

Advice to Management

My one critique of the structure of the firm is the lack of female partners. I was lucky enough to work very closely with a female partner; however, the ratio of male to female partners is a bit too skewed for my liking.

Interviews are comprised of two parts: behavioral questions (15 min) and a case (30 min). A few examples of behavioral questions I was asked are: Why are you interested in consulting? Why are you interested in BCG? How do you work in a team? How are you as a leader? The cases I worked through generally focused on profitability issues within firms of varying industry. I did have one case where I was to evaluate whether or not a firm should expand into a new country.

Learning all summer and making life long relationships

Dallas, TX | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Life long relationships, learning constantly, being treated as an actual member of the team vs. summer intern

At times the hours (after hours work), the pace of work unpredictable and hard to schedule around

You will have the greatest time working here, make great friends but you must know that your life is going to be molded around your work vs. your work be molded around your life.

Fast paced and impactful work with top notch colleagues who care about client impact

Boston, MA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

-People
-Development
-Compensation!!!
-Travel

The least favorite part of the internship was the inconvenience of travel. While BCG goest out of its way to make travel a convenient experience, sometimes the monday flight can be a bit early in the morning.

-Relax
-Be prepared to make a mistake or two, and don't be afraid to ask questions if you are confused
-Utilize both your case team and your summer cohort
-Speak up in CTMs, its hard at first but being involved in discussions can really make the case come alive (plus, they didn't hire you to be a statue)

Advice to Management

Focus on increasing the diversity of the firm overall, especially at the upper-levels (O/P/PL)

Most if not all the questions were elaborate cases. The specifics aren't really important, what's important is preparing and knowing HOW to handle the various kinds of cases you will see.