The Boston Consulting Group Summer Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #5 Best Consulting Internships  /  #19 Best Overall Internships

Phenomenal consulting summer experience
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people and the company culture.

I loved the people and the company culture.

Have a positive attitude.

Excellent Place to Learn and Grow with Great Co-workers
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

-Lots of opportunities for learning

-Expected to perform and given real tasks to complete

-Very fast pace, you'll never be bored

-Given a lot of responsibility, and interaction with people people at high levels of client organizations

-Hours could be long (typically 55-60), but that's a given for this type of job

Be mindful of what you're looking for, this is a great job but it's not a 9-5.

I got to experience what being a BCG consultant is like. It is a demanding but rewarding job.
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting an inside view of what the work really is. Interacting with the people you would be working on in the future and figuring it if you like them or not.

I worked on an organizational restructuring case and that is not my favorite topic.

Try to get to know people who work for the firm. It is very hard to evaluate the job in itself from the outside; it is easier to determine if you like the people that work at each firm.

Case interviews and behavioral questions.

Advice to Management

The hours are pretty demanding but I guess that is much more a function of the industry rather than of the firm. The employee base could be a little bit more diverse.

Fast paced, employee focused culture with real data analysis
Philadelphia, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great team, very smart people, fast paced, exciting to travel, interesting work

Repetitive - lot of powerpoint/excel/other programs. May feel too on rails for the more creative.

If you're good with a little more structure, appreciate a place where they do take care of their people, then BCG is great

Typical case interviews

A great learning opportunity to experience what consulting really is, in a great firm
Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Impressive access to high level management problems. Great coaching and support to help me succeed in my internship. Many opportunities to know the firm better.

The ownership I had of the problems was limited (probably because I was an intern).

It is important to take profit of the opportunities during the internship. This means working hard to get a full time offer, but also getting to know people, talk about their areas of expertise, and understanding what you like most and where you could fit. BCG offers great opportunities to do that during the internship.

What do you think that are the key drivers in the price of this product? What would be the key criteria for consumers before purchase?

What are your ideas to reduce costs in this scenario?

Advice to Management

Consulting is a hard job that requires long hours. BCG has a program called PTO that helps to make it sustainable. It makes an effort to give people flexibility: that way, the amount of hours would still be high, but people would be able to organize themselves better. My advice is to foster PTO even more and apply it uniformly in the different projects.

High-impact casework in the healthcare industry with an outstanding team
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Ability to generate meaningful content, numerous learning opportunities, structured social interactions with peers and greater office, work-life balance

Unfortunately, due to duration of the internship, was unable to see the end result of my work on my case.

Ensure that you request (and receive) timely feedback, push for opportunities to engage with the Partner(s) / Principal(s), and push for speed-to-output at maximal levels.

1.) Give an example of a time where you made an impact with the client / a team

Advice to Management

Perhaps more transparency on the social calendar to ensure adequate participation; planning more events on weekends to enable those on remote cases to participate.

Challenging work with dedicated team, realistic of the life of full-time consultants
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

People, colocating with team, office dynamic

Senior team was not always present / available - nature of their jobs

Get to know the people and learn through them what works best at the firm - you will feel the chemistry if it is the right fit.

Great people, interesting work, valuable exposure to client's and BCG's businesses
Seattle, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Quickly seeing how high performing teams function and being integrated into the workflow.

At times my experience was a bit isolated.

Very smart and nice people employed by a company that has their best interests in mind.

See 'BCG Case Interview' questions

Advice to Management

PTO will be an important consideration in my decision whether or not to accept my full-time offer to BCG; I felt lucky to have exposure to two case teams that leveraged this program and I think it is important that all summer interns are able to experience the same.

Strategy consulting
Seattle, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with, the ability to work autonomously with high-level client stakeholders

Not applicable

Take initiative and over-communicate

Advice to Management

Not applicable - great internship

Great place to work.
Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Hours. Comp. People.

Lots of travel.

Come prepared to add value.