The Boston Consulting Group Summer Internship Program

Date: 2013

When everyone in the office including the partners say they're jealous of the interns, pay attention.

Summer Intern Events (happy hours, summer architectural boat tour, Second City, Partner Intern Dinner, Cubs Game, BBQ, etc.), Passport lunches (free lunches where you can take a partner or principle out to lunch), Office retreat to Mackinac Island in Lake Michigan, sponsored significant other visit during the summer, ability to take ownership on a module, ideas treated with respect and interest even though you are young, interesting intelligent and down-to-earth people surrounding you

Sometimes it is intimidating being surrounded by very competent, fast, and intelligent people on your case team who seem to know exactly what they are doing, where you find yourself struggling to keep up when usually things come easy. I feel very intellectually challenged, but I think that is a good thing too.

This job is both intellectually challenging, yet they really care about their people and try to make the job as sustainable as possible. They realize that getting the internship is very challenging and that gives you street cred as you walk in the door.

Advice to Management

N/A

Fun, Social, Intelligent People Solving High-Level Fortune 100 Company Problems

Challenging Work People Development Perks Social Events Career Opportunities Unbelievable Learning Experience

Unpredictable client interactions Unpredictability in general

Hard interview process, but once summer internship experience is the unrivaled--exceeded my expectations by 10X

Date: 2013

Challenging yet fun learning experience

Level of responsibility Access to senior leadership Impact of my work Fun social events

Numbers of hours and travel

Talk to people, it really is the only way to figure out if you fit with a firm.

Date: 2013

Learned a lot, helped a client, and did it all working with a team of incredible people

Steep learning curve, constant feedback and development opportunities, really great case team with people that not only wanted to help me but valued the experience I brought to the table.

Unfortunately with consulting, each case is different, so the downside is that you are making a full time decision based on just one small experience.

Make sure you spend time getting to know the personalities of the different offices. I spent a lot of time talking with consultants in the cities that I was considering moving to, and so I made a really informed decision and picked an office that I fit in well with culturally. I think many people assume all offices within a firm are the same, which is definitely not true, and cultural fit is really important if you're going to be spending so much time with them.

Advice to Management

I think the company could benefit from having trainings on giving cross-cultural reviews. Business Schools are becoming increasingly more international and because of that, intern classes are becoming more international. I found that some bosses assumed familiarity with American working norms, and training on expectations could have created earlier opportunities to level-set on expectations.

Date: 2013

Student with little business experience learns a lot

On the job experience

Realistically, it's tough to become an equal member of a team as a temprorary intern

It's hard work, but they truly respect you as a person

Date: 2013

Amazing people; impactful work; excellent opportunities and growth

1. Quality of the people in the firm and the support they give interns 2. Development opportunities 3. Perks / benefits

It being client services

Try to get a sense for the firm and office culture

Date: 2013

Impactful experience at the highest levels of business while being surrounded by very intelligent people.

The particular office/system I was a part of had very friendly, personable, and intelligent people. The consultants on my particular team were very helpful and incredibly good at their job, which allowed me to learn from them. The problems we were solving were interesting and at the top of the senior management's agenda. The clients we were working with and presenting to were at the highest levels of major companies. The level of responsibility given to interns was substantial and allowed for a great learning curve. The resources were provided to us (feedback, training, knowledge teams) to help us succeed in the internship.

Anything here would be nitpicky, the internship is the best you can get in my opinion if you are interested in consulting, or business in general.

Work hard during the interview process to get the job - It is well worth it in the end. However, make sure you are truly passionate about consulting and the work consultants do, otherwise you may balk when hours get long.

Date: 2013

Amazing learning experience, got everything I wished for and more

People, challenge, fun.

I didn't like the LA traffic so much

Demanding job, challenging and requires a lot of soft skills.

Date: 2013

Excellent introduction to consulting and life at BCG

all employees caring a lot about the interns intern events

Nothing in particular comes to mind

Getting to know the people is the best way to get a good feel for the company and what it is about.

Date: 2013

A snapshot of the education you'll receive as a management consultant, with the social support network to help you transition

The reality of my case experience, the sense of ownership I felt over my work, and the social connections the company helped facilitate

Most interns, including myself, were only exposed to one case experience--would be nice if timing worked out to get multiple, shorter experiences

This is definitely the best job you can have as a 22-year-old, and starting as an intern softens the transition to an extremely challenging profession