The Boston Consulting Group Summer Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #5 Best Consulting Internships  /  #19 Best Overall Internships

4.6 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 182 Intern Reviews)

Intellectually challenging work, supported by a great team
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The intellectual rigor, caliber of people, and teaming.

Working with ambiguity was challenging at first.

Fit with both management consulting and the distinct culture of the organization is critical to whether or not you will be happy in the job.

BCG summer internship: A choose-your-own-high-powered-analysis-and-engaging-teamwork adventure
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The personal, professional, and project support were beyond anything I'd seen before. Anything you wanted was at your disposal. The partners were fantastic: personable, nice, insightful, engaged, and quick.

There were times where I disagreed with my project leader, though she wouldn't move on with the project without hearing me out and weighing my arguments, even if she disagreed with them.

Figure out what you want, and you can have it. And even if you don't know what you want, there are dozens of people at BCG who are there and would really like to help you figure it out.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Best development experience at an awesome company
San Francisco, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with great people and learning a lot

It was difficult finding housing for the summer

It's an amazing organization - highly supportive, fun, and challenging place to work.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Great experience leads to full time offer
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was paired with a very good team for the summer. My PL was a great guy who is not only extremely smart but also cared about making sure I had a good summer. The other consultants I worked with were great as well. The work itself was interesting. I got paired with a partner sponsor for the summer; we checked in with each other fairly regularly and he was there to help make sure I was getting what I wanted out of the internship as well. Plus, there were a ton of really fun intern events (almost one per week), which were followed by bottle service at the club about 60% of the time.

I actually had fairly reasonable hours (~55/week) but if you're going to go into consulting, you just have to be aware that it can get a lot worse than that. After about 65 hours/week, I start to feel unbalanced and stop enjoying my work as much. Work at BCG, as in any consulting firm, has the potential to be like that. BCG has implemented PTO (google it) to help ensure life as a consultant is sustainable.

Meet as many people as you can from each consulting firm you're considering. BCG, Bain, and McKinsey do have different cultures, and it's important to find which one(s) you vibe with best. The work is fairly similar between MBB, so is the pay, and so are the exit opportunities. The cultures are different, so pay attention to that.

BCG trusts interns with tons of responsibility and ownership over work while providing amazing mentorship
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Tons of responsibilities and ownership

Amazing mentorship

Incredibly fun events

Challenging environment

Bright people all around

Sometimes the hours can get a bit intense

If you want to gain true business acumen while learning about multiple and diverse aspects of strategy and management in corporations from the brightest and most creative minds in the industry, BCG is the place to start your career

Amazing experience, but be prepared to work hard!
San Francisco, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great people, great perks, and great investment in all the interns.

Long hours.

Best company. Don't think too much, just apply!

Great place to work.
Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Hours. Comp. People.

Lots of travel.

Come prepared to add value.

Deep development and phenomenal network of support

Supportive management - Partners very involved in my development

At times longer hours - also traveling across the country to the client

Ask questions - everyone is there to support you.

What is your greatest weakness?

Advice to Management

Loved the team events - keep them coming!

A great learning opportunity to experience what consulting really is, in a great firm
Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Impressive access to high level management problems. Great coaching and support to help me succeed in my internship. Many opportunities to know the firm better.

The ownership I had of the problems was limited (probably because I was an intern).

It is important to take profit of the opportunities during the internship. This means working hard to get a full time offer, but also getting to know people, talk about their areas of expertise, and understanding what you like most and where you could fit. BCG offers great opportunities to do that during the internship.

What do you think that are the key drivers in the price of this product? What would be the key criteria for consumers before purchase?

What are your ideas to reduce costs in this scenario?

Advice to Management

Consulting is a hard job that requires long hours. BCG has a program called PTO that helps to make it sustainable. It makes an effort to give people flexibility: that way, the amount of hours would still be high, but people would be able to organize themselves better. My advice is to foster PTO even more and apply it uniformly in the different projects.

An excellent opportunity with a world-class team
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with an incredible team of extremely bright people

Workload was occasionally unpredictable, although my team was always mindful of those additional obligations.

There simply is no other organization that thinks as broadly and as open-mindedly as we do. If you have genuine intellectual curiosity about business and the world around you more generally, then this is the place to be.

Advice to Management

My team worked well, but I know that some others do not. I would appreciate it if upward feedback were a larger determinant of bonus/promotion decisions.