4.6 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 182 Intern Reviews)

Great oportunity to live a real consulting experience while actually delivering value to clients
Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great project team and very valuable mentoring.

Flexibility to manage time allocation to complete work

Various activities and events outside the case work to get to know the office, the people and the culture.

Staffing completely met interests for industry/function/location.

Learning about project a few more days in advance would help be better prepared for day 1

Great for fast paced learning of multiple industries and roles.

Great company to build a strong network of co-workers/friends/mentors.

Multiple opportunities to shape work to fit with other aspects of life such as family or social service.

BCG: where people are more invested in your growth and happiness than even you are
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, including mentorship, quality, and affability; work-life balance (I never worked more than 55 hours in a week, and start time was flexible); high-quality experience (working for a Fortune 50 client in the precise industry and function I requested) and client exposure; generous compensation, expense policy, and office space; many activities for interns to get to know each other, the office, and the city

We at times had unpredictable work demands, but never on two consecutive days.

Try to meet a few BCGers before applying. You'll know whether it's a fit or not. Each company has a distinct personality. Make sure you know who you are and what you want, and be able to explain how BCG fits into that.

Why consulting? Why BCG?

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Learn a lot, start a career, have an awesome time
San Francisco, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Exposure to incredibly talented peers and inpressive clients

Truly had no complaints

Have a blast, take pride in your work, think about your client's perspective

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

High-impact casework in the healthcare industry with an outstanding team
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Ability to generate meaningful content, numerous learning opportunities, structured social interactions with peers and greater office, work-life balance

Unfortunately, due to duration of the internship, was unable to see the end result of my work on my case.

Ensure that you request (and receive) timely feedback, push for opportunities to engage with the Partner(s) / Principal(s), and push for speed-to-output at maximal levels.

1.) Give an example of a time where you made an impact with the client / a team

Advice to Management

Perhaps more transparency on the social calendar to ensure adequate participation; planning more events on weekends to enable those on remote cases to participate.

Great experience leads to full time offer
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was paired with a very good team for the summer. My PL was a great guy who is not only extremely smart but also cared about making sure I had a good summer. The other consultants I worked with were great as well. The work itself was interesting. I got paired with a partner sponsor for the summer; we checked in with each other fairly regularly and he was there to help make sure I was getting what I wanted out of the internship as well. Plus, there were a ton of really fun intern events (almost one per week), which were followed by bottle service at the club about 60% of the time.

I actually had fairly reasonable hours (~55/week) but if you're going to go into consulting, you just have to be aware that it can get a lot worse than that. After about 65 hours/week, I start to feel unbalanced and stop enjoying my work as much. Work at BCG, as in any consulting firm, has the potential to be like that. BCG has implemented PTO (google it) to help ensure life as a consultant is sustainable.

Meet as many people as you can from each consulting firm you're considering. BCG, Bain, and McKinsey do have different cultures, and it's important to find which one(s) you vibe with best. The work is fairly similar between MBB, so is the pay, and so are the exit opportunities. The cultures are different, so pay attention to that.

A real glimpse into the roles and responsibilities of a BCG consultant, and the chance to add value to a functioning project team
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Project team interactions, exposure to senior office leadership, high client exposure, real responsibility, challenging/interesting work

Client service comes with its challenges

You spend a lot of time working in groups - people make the place

Great place to work.
Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Hours. Comp. People.

Lots of travel.

Come prepared to add value.

BCG trusts interns with tons of responsibility and ownership over work while providing amazing mentorship
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Tons of responsibilities and ownership

Amazing mentorship

Incredibly fun events

Challenging environment

Bright people all around

Sometimes the hours can get a bit intense

If you want to gain true business acumen while learning about multiple and diverse aspects of strategy and management in corporations from the brightest and most creative minds in the industry, BCG is the place to start your career

Strategy consulting
Seattle, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with, the ability to work autonomously with high-level client stakeholders

Not applicable

Take initiative and over-communicate

Advice to Management

Not applicable - great internship

A great learning opportunity to experience what consulting really is, in a great firm
Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Impressive access to high level management problems. Great coaching and support to help me succeed in my internship. Many opportunities to know the firm better.

The ownership I had of the problems was limited (probably because I was an intern).

It is important to take profit of the opportunities during the internship. This means working hard to get a full time offer, but also getting to know people, talk about their areas of expertise, and understanding what you like most and where you could fit. BCG offers great opportunities to do that during the internship.

What do you think that are the key drivers in the price of this product? What would be the key criteria for consumers before purchase?

What are your ideas to reduce costs in this scenario?

Advice to Management

Consulting is a hard job that requires long hours. BCG has a program called PTO that helps to make it sustainable. It makes an effort to give people flexibility: that way, the amount of hours would still be high, but people would be able to organize themselves better. My advice is to foster PTO even more and apply it uniformly in the different projects.