The Boston Consulting Group Summer Internship Program

Intern at The Boston Consulting Group Summer Internship Program? Log in to Submit a Review

Day in the life of a consultant at the top consulting firm
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to meet many people from the office during fun social events. Trying out the life of a consultant while being mentored by a project leader and having direct access to partners from the firm. Constant constructive feedback.

I liked everything about the internship!

Prepare well for case interviews. BCG only takes the best of the best. You should be ok with traveling a lot.

Fantastic place to spend the summer
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

High level of responsibility, supportive culture, strong mentorship

Less partner interaction on my case due to team structure

I was deciding between BCG and McK and went to the office where I felt a stronger cultural match. For me at least, that worked out well--you have to work with the people every day, so it's important that you like them.

Immediate exposure to and voice in solving the world's most complex business problems.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Amazing people, interesting work, great lifestyle, incredible training & development opportunities, plentiful mentorship and apprenticeship, well organized!

Social events sometimes too grueling (not a real con).

This internship is the MOST incredible opportunity an undergraduate can have if they are interested in learning more about business and working in an academic-like culture.

Advice to Management

Make sure the program isn't so focused on drinking events -- be a little bit more creative to be inclusive of everyone.

Skeptical student realizes the corporate world can be wonderful through many intellectual challenges and open bars
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

There is a constant push to become better, and everyone is rooting for you. The older colleagues were always around and supportive, helping you whenever necessary. I do feel like I really became a much more effective thinker over the summer, and became better at sharing my ideas. The social aspect was amazing, at least 1 very well planned social event per week paid for by the company, and all the interns went out with each other many weekends as well.

Honestly I dont have any specific qualms.

BCG will only open up avenues to you. If you're confused about what you want to do after college like I was, there's no better place to explore the business world.

Exceeding expectations

Project assignment

My lack of experience

Don't be afraid to ask questions

Rewarding and challenging, a BCG experience is everything (and more) an intelligent and ambitious college student could ask for.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Unbelievable amount of responsibility given to summer interns; Very supportive and friendly corporate culture where managers truly take an interest in your development and learning; Regular peer reviews and reviews from your manager to make sure you know how you're doing; plenty of social events over the summer to integrate us as a summer class and also with the rest of the firm - included a weekend in Miami!

The assignment of projects for the summer could've resulted in hit or miss cases for few of the interns. Since we are there only for 10 weeks, chances are we are staffed on one case for the entire summer so if you don't get a case/industry you are particularly interested in, it might not reflect a true BCG full time experience where the diversity of opportunity is greater.

BCG is a place that knows how to keep employees happy. This is important for anyone entering the corporate world. They keep you engaged with the work you do and with the sociable and friendly culture at the firm.

Advice to Management

I have absolutely no complaints.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Amazing and Accelerated Career Development: My Summer as an Associate with BCG
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The emphasis BCG puts on mentorship in the office and career development is exceptional. My case team and numerous people throughout the office really took the time to make sure I had a successful transition and successful summer, which really positively impacted my overall experiences. BCG also provided a lot of extremely helpful training, which was very helpful in transitioning the summer associates into the office and work culture.

For some people, it may have not been the most realistic representation for what it's like to work for the firm full-time. My project provided me with consistent work and was very representative, but some of the summer associates their work was slower and a bit more erratic (which was more due to the nature of the projects they were staffed on).

It's important to talk to people at the firm to get a sense of the work culture, but BCG is a really fantastic place to begin your career. It will provide you with exceptional training, mentorship, contacts/network, and also career assistance when you want to make your next career transition

Internship provides exceptional project responsibility, client interaction and partner engagement
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Interaction with partners, commraderie in the office, engaging work

short timeline means interns must get up to speed quickly

No place better to accelerate your understanding as a business leader.

A consulting experience that is as real as it gets. Great access to senior partners, genuine mentorship and custom-tailored experience
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

(a) Great access to senior partners - be it through scheduled events or informal ones like lunches and coffee chats; (b) mentorship: thorough process of evaluation and feedback that was genuinely aimed towards my self-development; (c) custom-tailored experience: giving me projects and work that I am excited about

Internship is usually just one or two projects - and given the duration of ten weeks, it is hard to evaluate consulting as a career choice

BCG"s core strength and differentiator is a people-oriented culture. Understand the strength of that culture and see if that appeals to you.

Incredible opportunity for learning, leadership and personal development in a challenging and dynamic work environment.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Firm culture, training and personal development, supportive work environment and challenging work

Travel Monday through Thursday

Research many similar firms, try to meet as many people as possible, and find which firm 'fits' you best.

Advice to Management

Limit travel to client to only times that are completely necessary