4.6 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 182 Intern Reviews)

and Get 1 FREE DAY

BCG provides interns with an immersive experience in management consulting
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Intern bonding events (Miami trip, golf outing, Yankees box, and many more), opportunities to get involved with 'extracurriculars' (a few interns played for the New York BCG soccer team and will be able to travel to Madrid to play in the BCG World Cup), amazing perks (fancy dinners, expense accounts), supportive recruiting staff that ensures everyone is having a positive experience, quality of managers

Work life balance could sometimes be tough to manage

The primary difference between BCG and main rivals McKinsey and Bain are purely cultural differences. The actual work and lifestyle are similar at all of them. When comparing, pick based on personal fit. This is important because you want to like the people you spend most of your time with, especially when traveling.

The topics of my second round cases were:

1. An Australian bank is considering upgrading its IT infrastructure. Should it go forward with it?

2. A global appliance company's European division has seen it's competitors move production from Western to Eastern Europe. Should the client follow suit?

Advice to Management

Office-wide retreat would be great. More hands on Excel training would have been helpful.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

BCG: where people are more invested in your growth and happiness than even you are
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, including mentorship, quality, and affability; work-life balance (I never worked more than 55 hours in a week, and start time was flexible); high-quality experience (working for a Fortune 50 client in the precise industry and function I requested) and client exposure; generous compensation, expense policy, and office space; many activities for interns to get to know each other, the office, and the city

We at times had unpredictable work demands, but never on two consecutive days.

Try to meet a few BCGers before applying. You'll know whether it's a fit or not. Each company has a distinct personality. Make sure you know who you are and what you want, and be able to explain how BCG fits into that.

Why consulting? Why BCG?

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Best development experience at an awesome company
San Francisco, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with great people and learning a lot

It was difficult finding housing for the summer

It's an amazing organization - highly supportive, fun, and challenging place to work.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Amazing experience, but be prepared to work hard!
San Francisco, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great people, great perks, and great investment in all the interns.

Long hours.

Best company. Don't think too much, just apply!

A real glimpse into the roles and responsibilities of a BCG consultant, and the chance to add value to a functioning project team
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Project team interactions, exposure to senior office leadership, high client exposure, real responsibility, challenging/interesting work

Client service comes with its challenges

You spend a lot of time working in groups - people make the place

BCG trusts interns with tons of responsibility and ownership over work while providing amazing mentorship
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Tons of responsibilities and ownership

Amazing mentorship

Incredibly fun events

Challenging environment

Bright people all around

Sometimes the hours can get a bit intense

If you want to gain true business acumen while learning about multiple and diverse aspects of strategy and management in corporations from the brightest and most creative minds in the industry, BCG is the place to start your career

An excellent opportunity with a world-class team
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with an incredible team of extremely bright people

Workload was occasionally unpredictable, although my team was always mindful of those additional obligations.

There simply is no other organization that thinks as broadly and as open-mindedly as we do. If you have genuine intellectual curiosity about business and the world around you more generally, then this is the place to be.

Advice to Management

My team worked well, but I know that some others do not. I would appreciate it if upward feedback were a larger determinant of bonus/promotion decisions.

Great people, interesting work, valuable exposure to client's and BCG's businesses
Seattle, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Quickly seeing how high performing teams function and being integrated into the workflow.

At times my experience was a bit isolated.

Very smart and nice people employed by a company that has their best interests in mind.

See 'BCG Case Interview' questions

Advice to Management

PTO will be an important consideration in my decision whether or not to accept my full-time offer to BCG; I felt lucky to have exposure to two case teams that leveraged this program and I think it is important that all summer interns are able to experience the same.

I got to experience what being a BCG consultant is like. It is a demanding but rewarding job.
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting an inside view of what the work really is. Interacting with the people you would be working on in the future and figuring it if you like them or not.

I worked on an organizational restructuring case and that is not my favorite topic.

Try to get to know people who work for the firm. It is very hard to evaluate the job in itself from the outside; it is easier to determine if you like the people that work at each firm.

Case interviews and behavioral questions.

Advice to Management

The hours are pretty demanding but I guess that is much more a function of the industry rather than of the firm. The employee base could be a little bit more diverse.

Strategy consulting
Seattle, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with, the ability to work autonomously with high-level client stakeholders

Not applicable

Take initiative and over-communicate

Advice to Management

Not applicable - great internship