The Boston Consulting Group Summer Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #5 Best Consulting Internships  /  #19 Best Overall Internships

4.6 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 182 Intern Reviews)

Best development experience at an awesome company
San Francisco, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with great people and learning a lot

It was difficult finding housing for the summer

It's an amazing organization - highly supportive, fun, and challenging place to work.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Steep learning curve but a very rewarding experience
Toronto | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

-Lots of great social events to get to know both the full-timers and the other interns

-Firm worked hard to give a "real" case experience so that I could get a good idea of what I'd be signing on for in the long-run

-Continuous real-time feedback helped me learn tons throughout the summer

Originally wasn't a huge fan of the industry I was working in but the case turned out to be really interesting regardless.

Speak up early and often -- you'll be expected to contribute your ideas right away

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Learn a lot, start a career, have an awesome time
San Francisco, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Exposure to incredibly talented peers and inpressive clients

Truly had no complaints

Have a blast, take pride in your work, think about your client's perspective

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

A real glimpse into the roles and responsibilities of a BCG consultant, and the chance to add value to a functioning project team
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Project team interactions, exposure to senior office leadership, high client exposure, real responsibility, challenging/interesting work

Client service comes with its challenges

You spend a lot of time working in groups - people make the place

BCG trusts interns with tons of responsibility and ownership over work while providing amazing mentorship
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Tons of responsibilities and ownership

Amazing mentorship

Incredibly fun events

Challenging environment

Bright people all around

Sometimes the hours can get a bit intense

If you want to gain true business acumen while learning about multiple and diverse aspects of strategy and management in corporations from the brightest and most creative minds in the industry, BCG is the place to start your career

High-impact casework in the healthcare industry with an outstanding team
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Ability to generate meaningful content, numerous learning opportunities, structured social interactions with peers and greater office, work-life balance

Unfortunately, due to duration of the internship, was unable to see the end result of my work on my case.

Ensure that you request (and receive) timely feedback, push for opportunities to engage with the Partner(s) / Principal(s), and push for speed-to-output at maximal levels.

1.) Give an example of a time where you made an impact with the client / a team

Advice to Management

Perhaps more transparency on the social calendar to ensure adequate participation; planning more events on weekends to enable those on remote cases to participate.

A great learning opportunity to experience what consulting really is, in a great firm
Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Impressive access to high level management problems. Great coaching and support to help me succeed in my internship. Many opportunities to know the firm better.

The ownership I had of the problems was limited (probably because I was an intern).

It is important to take profit of the opportunities during the internship. This means working hard to get a full time offer, but also getting to know people, talk about their areas of expertise, and understanding what you like most and where you could fit. BCG offers great opportunities to do that during the internship.

What do you think that are the key drivers in the price of this product? What would be the key criteria for consumers before purchase?

What are your ideas to reduce costs in this scenario?

Advice to Management

Consulting is a hard job that requires long hours. BCG has a program called PTO that helps to make it sustainable. It makes an effort to give people flexibility: that way, the amount of hours would still be high, but people would be able to organize themselves better. My advice is to foster PTO even more and apply it uniformly in the different projects.

Fast paced, employee focused culture with real data analysis
Philadelphia, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great team, very smart people, fast paced, exciting to travel, interesting work

Repetitive - lot of powerpoint/excel/other programs. May feel too on rails for the more creative.

If you're good with a little more structure, appreciate a place where they do take care of their people, then BCG is great

Typical case interviews

Amazing experience, but be prepared to work hard!
San Francisco, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great people, great perks, and great investment in all the interns.

Long hours.

Best company. Don't think too much, just apply!

Great experience leads to full time offer
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was paired with a very good team for the summer. My PL was a great guy who is not only extremely smart but also cared about making sure I had a good summer. The other consultants I worked with were great as well. The work itself was interesting. I got paired with a partner sponsor for the summer; we checked in with each other fairly regularly and he was there to help make sure I was getting what I wanted out of the internship as well. Plus, there were a ton of really fun intern events (almost one per week), which were followed by bottle service at the club about 60% of the time.

I actually had fairly reasonable hours (~55/week) but if you're going to go into consulting, you just have to be aware that it can get a lot worse than that. After about 65 hours/week, I start to feel unbalanced and stop enjoying my work as much. Work at BCG, as in any consulting firm, has the potential to be like that. BCG has implemented PTO (google it) to help ensure life as a consultant is sustainable.

Meet as many people as you can from each consulting firm you're considering. BCG, Bain, and McKinsey do have different cultures, and it's important to find which one(s) you vibe with best. The work is fairly similar between MBB, so is the pay, and so are the exit opportunities. The cultures are different, so pay attention to that.