Intern at The Boston Consulting Group Summer Internship Program? Submit a Review

Fantastic summer, no regrets

New York, NY | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Interaction with my senior management - mentorship, development and friendship

It was too short

Out of MBB, BCG cares the most about your personal development and growth

Collaborative work style, great coworkers, challenging and interesting material

Boston, MA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The collaborative working style (and of course, having coworkers who were great to collaborate with!)

The hours can be pretty long. You don't have that much free time for exercise, friends, etc during the week.

You will constantly get feedback on how you are doing - learn how to quickly incorporate that feedback into your work.

BCG: from slides to spreadsheets, the biggest impact I could have had in 10 weeks.

Houston, TX | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Team dynamic was excellent. Highly intelligent people pushing really hard on work. High level discussion about important issues daily. Team had excellent bonding outside of the actual work, going to dinners, exploring the surrounding area.

Office culture and the intern cohort was interesting and fun to hang out with outside of work. Definitely expect to stay in touch with most (if not all) of the interns I got to know.

Intern events didn't pack the weekends, but they were timed such that it was little difficult to take advantage of the other aspects of the job, such as alternate travel, team time or Fridays working outside the office.

Get to know the people in your office. The people you're around will make a huge difference in terms of the quality of your experience. Ask for a project that is related to your interests, and work hard! It's not an easy job.

You're working for a cruise line. How would you help them boost their on-ship photo sales? They currently print out all the photos, and passengers purchase the photos as they walk by the store. How would you improve their margins?

Interesting, challenging, and engaging experience- as good as an internship gets

Atlanta, GA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Access to anyone in the organization, real picture of the job, great opportunities to develop relationships with intern class

Nothing comes to mind

BCG is a place where you can be yourself, but be prepared to develop and have people around you to support you in that!

Advice to Management

Continue to emphasize PTO conversations

Amazing internship with broad exposure to numerous industries, types of work and people.

Boston, MA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The level of responsibility and trust I was given as an intern.
Compensation
Exposure to the true life of a full time employee

Length, could've been longer.

Ensure you like problem solving, inconsistent hours and mental challenges.

Advice to Management

Compensation could always be higher.
There could be more integration activities (not only among interns)

Tell me of an activity where you took a leadership position.
Within that group, tell me of a time you had to convince others to do something they did not want to do
Within that group, tell me of a time others had to convince you to do something you did not want to do

Steep Learning Curve in a Positive, Intellectual Environment

New York, NY | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Steep learning curve, responsibility (that represented what I could expect as a full-time employee), flat hierarchy, PTO (a program that helps with team dynamics and work-life balance), the people, summer events for interns (opportunities to network, etc.)

Somewhat long hours (but not outrageous by any means, and a 9-5 job is obviously unrealistic)

When considering top management consulting firms, I think cultural fit is probably the most important consideration. To a large extent, the work you'd be doing at MBB is pretty much the same, but there are definitely different cultural "vibes" associated with each institution. Since you'll be working very closely with your team, it's important to make sure that you feel the "fit" is good between yourself and the people at the firm.

Focus on practicing for case interviews. It's well-known that BCG likes to use charts/graphs in their interviews, so that's always good to practice as well.

The Ultimate Summer Learning Experience

Chicago, IL | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The internal-networking via dinners, parties and events was probably my favorite part of the internship. We were taken to private dinners every week (mostly at Michelin start restaurants), a partner's home for a day-time networking event, a suite at a Cub's game, a city-wide boat tour, Lollapalooza and so much more!

I honestly cannot think of any cons for the internship.

Consider what your organization can provide for you. Choosing a company that highly values their people and invests dividends in your personal growth and comfort, will make you a much more fulfilled employee.

Advice to Management

The amount of detail that BCG spends on work-life balance, is remarkable. If at any point I began to feel exhausted, there was an event to pick up your spirits and a self-evaluation to discuss work-life balance, weekly. I have not advice as far as improvement is concerned.

All interviews are case-studies so just be prepared for what that entails.

I was challenged to think differently about a problem and brainstorm creative solutions, while being supported by incredible mentors.

Boston, MA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship included client exposure, individual ownership over a specific part of the client project, and mentorship from supportive and intelligent individuals.

The work was challenging and there was significant pressure to deliverable the best quality to our clients. BCG did a great job of pushing strong communication to ensure everyone was working as effectively as possible in a positive environment.

BCG's strong culture stood out to me when recruiting. BCGers were extremely intelligent and thoughtful, but also had a fun quirkiness that was unique.

Everything you could want in your first job after college.

Chicago, IL | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The quality and diversity of the people in the firm.
The ability to shape your own career.
Constant feedback that allowed for quick learning and professional development.
A meritocratic organization - you are valued based on your contributions to the team and the client.

The nature of client work makes your schedule somewhat unpredictable, but managers make an effort to mitigate this.

Talk to the people to learn about the culture - fit is extremely important!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

Intern still amazed that his work was presented to CEO of multi-national tech company.

Washington, DC | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Access to people with such great diversity of backgrounds (professional and cultural) and opinions, including access to alumni who were willing to speak to an intern about future career paths. The amount of responsibility we were given was highly rewarding and enriching. The summer events they planned for us were off the charts fun - and they have similar events year round!

While the intern salary was pretty amazing, I was surprised at the difference between it and other top firms in industries like banking and tech.

A lot of the cases require travel, though it's definitely possible to stay local if you want. You should be excited to work in different industries with different teams, though you can choose to specialize to a certain degree from day one. You should be comfortable with ambiguity when it comes to data and research. The company is full of intellectually curious people.

Get Our Career Newsletter

Interview, resume and job search tips emailed directly to you.