Mercer Talent Consulting Intern (fka Human Capital Consulting Intern) Internship

A new project and a new challenge around every corner
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

the variety of projects I got to work with, and the people

some projects felt like they were not projects I understood because I came into them in the middle or end, so it was difficult to understand everything going on in the process

be aware you will have to have good time management skills as well as be up to try your hand at anything and everything

Advice to Management

maybe a few more events where interns could get together and talk/network throughout the summer to build stronger relationships with our "intern class"

More instructive than college - the analysts are your dream teaching assistants and the associates/partners are approachable professors
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

As I mentioned in "why would you accept this offer" -

1. The people are wonderful. Sharp, but not in the least competitive or pretentious. Everyone is invested in helping each other succeed and understand the task at hand, so plenty of informal training is gladly offered. I have had a very busy associate say to me, 'I have thirty minutes of free time. Grab a chair and I'll teach you some modeling." without me asking. An office saying is that the biggest mistake you can make is a mistake you make alone. People here are highly driven, value competency, enjoy teaching, and have a good sense of humor.

2. The learning curve is incredible. I am entering senior year at an Ivy League university, and I have learned more in these past seven weeks about business than I have in my three years of college thus far. The focus on self development is huge.

3. Unlike many consulting firms, you can work on a variety of projects at the same time without traveling. This has a range of benefits. First, the knowlege transfer and bonds between colleagues are greater. Second, the range of projects and clients mean you won't get stuck doing repetitive tasks. Your learning curve will also be accelerated.

There is an intern case challenge. I personally enjoy case challenges, but being saddled with an extremely large intern team made the whole process very difficult. Furthermore, this took time away from immersing ourselves into analyst-level work or networking.

If you love to learn, dislike repetition, want to work on more than one client project over the course of your summer, enjoy collaborative work wtih highly driven people, and have an interest in human capital - APPLY. Mercer is wonderful.

Advice to Management

Compensation could be much better. This is the prime reason top people leave. This is also ironic because I am interning in a department that tells other Fortune 500 companies how to structure their compensation. Of all my internship offers, this one offered the least but I accepted it because I knew the learning curve/training would be unparalleled.

Also, Mercer needs to update their technology! It is 2013 and the NY office is working with Microsoft Office 2003. There is something wrong here.

Fun learning environment that was challenging yet very rewarding
Dallas, TX | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I enjoyed the closeness of the group that I worked with, and the variety of the work that I was able to be a part of.

There was not a specific aspect that I disliked.

I would say to for sure evaluate company culture, because that was a big part of why I enjoyed Mercer so much.

A great way to get insight into Human Capital Consulting work.
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The amount of responsibility I was given.

Sometimes the work I assisted with was not intellectually challenging, but then every job has aspects that are less interesting.

It's truly a meritocracy: if you work hard, you will be rewarded.

Great people. great opportunities
Chicago, IL | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people were great, i had a lot of exposure to upper level management.

The actual work can sometimes get very monotonous.

Talk to all the principles and partners and learn as much as you can from them.

Advice to Management

Try to give more feedback, be more specific with what I can improve.

An immersive, diverse, and rewarding experience of a specified consulting field.
Atlanta, GA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The variety of projects across a number of industries and fields was one of the best aspects of the internship. Being exposed to and learning about so many companies allowed for what I think to be one of the best internship or pre-work opportunities available. Though Mercer specializes in human capital consulting, the number of different areas that fall under the human cap umbrella kept the work very interesting. Additionally, the people at Mercer were very willing to help me learn and grow from the experience, while completely trusting me with as much work as I appeared to be able to handle.

The only con that I identified during the internship experience at Mercer was its lack of structure. While this lack of structure allowed me to work on a large variety of projects, if I had not been staffed on certain key projects I feel I would not have gotten nearly the same experience as I did.

If you are interested in exploring the consulting field, Mercer provides an excellent opportunity to gain hands-on experience in multiple industries. Though the program is a bit unstructured, having an entrepreneurial mindset going into the internship will provide great opportunity with the collegial atmosphere of the company.

Project diversity and fun culture
Chicago, IL | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Project variety

Limited feedback from supervisor

Mercer (at least the Chicago office) is a complete meritocracy, which makes people put in as much as they want to get out. It also runs very autonomously with extremely flexible hours, which for me was desirable.

Mercer creates a fun work environment with many opportunities for learning
Los Angeles, CA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people at the office were incredibly smart, fun, and supportive. I really enjoyed the office culture. I also learned so much from my peers and superiors about general strategy thinking and excel modeling.

The work-life balance isn't great. The hours can be long and not very flexible.

Mercer is a great place to learn and a fun place to work, so it's worth a small work-life balance sacrifice. You will learn more than you ever thought possible, and do it with great people!