Intern at Mercer Talent Consulting Intern (fka Human Capital Consulting Intern)? Submit a Review

More instructive than college - the analysts are your dream teaching assistants and the associates/partners are approachable professors

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

As I mentioned in "why would you accept this offer" -

1. The people are wonderful. Sharp, but not in the least competitive or pretentious. Everyone is invested in helping each other succeed and understand the task at hand, so plenty of informal training is gladly offered. I have had a very busy associate say to me, 'I have thirty minutes of free time. Grab a chair and I'll teach you some modeling." without me asking. An office saying is that the biggest mistake you can make is a mistake you make alone. People here are highly driven, value competency, enjoy teaching, and have a good sense of humor.

2. The learning curve is incredible. I am entering senior year at an Ivy League university, and I have learned more in these past seven weeks about business than I have in my three years of college thus far. The focus on self development is huge.

3. Unlike many consulting firms, you can work on a variety of projects at the same time without traveling. This has a range of benefits. First, the knowlege transfer and bonds between colleagues are greater. Second, the range of projects and clients mean you won't get stuck doing repetitive tasks. Your learning curve will also be accelerated.

There is an intern case challenge. I personally enjoy case challenges, but being saddled with an extremely large intern team made the whole process very difficult. Furthermore, this took time away from immersing ourselves into analyst-level work or networking.

If you love to learn, dislike repetition, want to work on more than one client project over the course of your summer, enjoy collaborative work wtih highly driven people, and have an interest in human capital - APPLY. Mercer is wonderful.

Advice to Management

Compensation could be much better. This is the prime reason top people leave. This is also ironic because I am interning in a department that tells other Fortune 500 companies how to structure their compensation. Of all my internship offers, this one offered the least but I accepted it because I knew the learning curve/training would be unparalleled.

Also, Mercer needs to update their technology! It is 2013 and the NY office is working with Microsoft Office 2003. There is something wrong here.

A new project and a new challenge around every corner

Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

the variety of projects I got to work with, and the people

some projects felt like they were not projects I understood because I came into them in the middle or end, so it was difficult to understand everything going on in the process

be aware you will have to have good time management skills as well as be up to try your hand at anything and everything

Advice to Management

maybe a few more events where interns could get together and talk/network throughout the summer to build stronger relationships with our "intern class"