Mercer Talent Consulting Intern (fka Human Capital Consulting Intern) Internship

Experience the life of a Mercer Talent Consultant

The environment and people around the office was great. The training program was strong and there were many opportunities to get involved in different areas of Talent

Some of the work was not the most rewarding and there were ebbs and flows to the workload. I could be extremely busy one day and then have some hours with little to do.

Reseach the Talent business and try to understand the different areas of business. Follow trends in compensation, and see if articles about Talent interest you.

Advice to Management

Interns can be given more responsibility and billable work. Mid-term evaluations can also be more honest. I appreciated the positive feedback but would have found some more negative feedback to be helpful. Compensation is also below average, and the moving bonus does not really help because much of it is taxed. It would be more helpful to just cover up to a certain dollar amount of expenses associated with moving.

integrative experience

busy nature of internship; being able to communicate with all levels of employees from newhire to partner; taking part in Marsh & McLennan company events

national intern project - lacked direction

people are busy - you go to them and reach out, ask questions even if you think it's bothersome

Advice to Management

compensation

Date: 2013

Insightful corporate experience with nice colleagues and challenging work.

pay, colleagues, and the personal mentoring

lots of down time and hours on the computer

It's a lot of writing! But its not necessarily creative writing, so a journalism degree is not required.

Advice to Management

Promote shadowing of associates and consultants. Provide lots of projects for the intern to do during down time.

Date: 2013

An internship with great people, real projects and stellar work-life balance for consulting.

The people were all very friendly and easy to approach, all the way up to Partner level. Everyone is here to help as well.

Sometimes there is not much work to go around, which is sometimes the nature of a consulting business.

A good fit for someone that likes dealing with the people aspect of a company and/or likes analytics and finance. There is also non-analytical work that is interesting.

Advice to Management

Have some projects/work lined up for interns when they arrive for the summer. Perhaps set up shadowing days where they can shadow certain projects.

Talent Communications Consulting Internship

Colleagues were supportive, good work experience, exposure to corporate life, learned a lot about health care and other relevant issues.

Could use more office camaraderie

Be willing to seek out opportunities.

Date: 2012

People are extremely helpful and friendly -- always asking if I needed anything. Great opportunities for exposure to human capital projects.

People are oustanding, you get what you put in, if you work hard and try to add value you are rewarded with ownership and new opportunities. Tons of learning opportunities. Everyone is always looking out for interns, department-wide social gatherings, interns are paid overtime, really manageable hours,

Research projects, not a ton of formal intra-office internship events

Demonstrate interest, constantly try to add value to the organization and you will find that your effort and ability is rewarded with additional responsibility and ownership opportunities.

Advice to Management

Less focus on research, more focus on client work. I understand that some offices might not have enough work for interns, but our office had ample opportunity to get involved in client work, and I wish I did not need to balance the research with requests to help with client deliverables.