Mercer Talent Consulting Intern (fka Human Capital Consulting Intern) Internship

Project diversity and fun culture
Chicago, IL | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Project variety

Limited feedback from supervisor

Mercer (at least the Chicago office) is a complete meritocracy, which makes people put in as much as they want to get out. It also runs very autonomously with extremely flexible hours, which for me was desirable.

An immersive, diverse, and rewarding experience of a specified consulting field.
Atlanta, GA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The variety of projects across a number of industries and fields was one of the best aspects of the internship. Being exposed to and learning about so many companies allowed for what I think to be one of the best internship or pre-work opportunities available. Though Mercer specializes in human capital consulting, the number of different areas that fall under the human cap umbrella kept the work very interesting. Additionally, the people at Mercer were very willing to help me learn and grow from the experience, while completely trusting me with as much work as I appeared to be able to handle.

The only con that I identified during the internship experience at Mercer was its lack of structure. While this lack of structure allowed me to work on a large variety of projects, if I had not been staffed on certain key projects I feel I would not have gotten nearly the same experience as I did.

If you are interested in exploring the consulting field, Mercer provides an excellent opportunity to gain hands-on experience in multiple industries. Though the program is a bit unstructured, having an entrepreneurial mindset going into the internship will provide great opportunity with the collegial atmosphere of the company.

Mercer creates a fun work environment with many opportunities for learning
Los Angeles, CA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people at the office were incredibly smart, fun, and supportive. I really enjoyed the office culture. I also learned so much from my peers and superiors about general strategy thinking and excel modeling.

The work-life balance isn't great. The hours can be long and not very flexible.

Mercer is a great place to learn and a fun place to work, so it's worth a small work-life balance sacrifice. You will learn more than you ever thought possible, and do it with great people!

Great people. great opportunities
Chicago, IL | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people were great, i had a lot of exposure to upper level management.

The actual work can sometimes get very monotonous.

Talk to all the principles and partners and learn as much as you can from them.

Advice to Management

Try to give more feedback, be more specific with what I can improve.

People are extremely helpful and friendly -- always asking if I needed anything. Great opportunities for exposure to human capital projects.
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

People are oustanding, you get what you put in, if you work hard and try to add value you are rewarded with ownership and new opportunities. Tons of learning opportunities. Everyone is always looking out for interns, department-wide social gatherings, interns are paid overtime, really manageable hours,

Research projects, not a ton of formal intra-office internship events

Demonstrate interest, constantly try to add value to the organization and you will find that your effort and ability is rewarded with additional responsibility and ownership opportunities.

Advice to Management

Less focus on research, more focus on client work. I understand that some offices might not have enough work for interns, but our office had ample opportunity to get involved in client work, and I wish I did not need to balance the research with requests to help with client deliverables.

Great internship experience in an industry I didn't want to remain in
Atlanta, GA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

- heavy interaction with supervisors/partners
- exposure to numerous clients and industries over summer
- opportunity to work directly with client execs
- good pay

- work was very repetitive
- very hierarchical organization
- too much downtime in between work/projects
- work not challenging

Great company that is best in industry for a reason. That said, be sure you want to stay in human capital consulting or go into HR management someday. Once you're in the industry, it is very hard to get out or change fields.

Boring work on interesting projects
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Compensation, hours, company culture

Lack of challenging work, no clear focus

Work as a consulting intern, not in human resources

Advice to Management

Based on the intern's interests, assign a research project that the intern can own