Mercer Talent Consulting Intern (fka Human Capital Consulting Intern) Internship

4.1 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 17 Intern Reviews)

A new project and a new challenge around every corner
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

the variety of projects I got to work with, and the people

some projects felt like they were not projects I understood because I came into them in the middle or end, so it was difficult to understand everything going on in the process

be aware you will have to have good time management skills as well as be up to try your hand at anything and everything

Advice to Management

maybe a few more events where interns could get together and talk/network throughout the summer to build stronger relationships with our "intern class"

Experience the life of a Mercer Talent Consultant
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The environment and people around the office was great. The training program was strong and there were many opportunities to get involved in different areas of Talent

Some of the work was not the most rewarding and there were ebbs and flows to the workload. I could be extremely busy one day and then have some hours with little to do.

Reseach the Talent business and try to understand the different areas of business. Follow trends in compensation, and see if articles about Talent interest you.

Advice to Management

Interns can be given more responsibility and billable work. Mid-term evaluations can also be more honest. I appreciated the positive feedback but would have found some more negative feedback to be helpful. Compensation is also below average, and the moving bonus does not really help because much of it is taxed. It would be more helpful to just cover up to a certain dollar amount of expenses associated with moving.

More instructive than college - the analysts are your dream teaching assistants and the associates/partners are approachable professors
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

As I mentioned in "why would you accept this offer" -

1. The people are wonderful. Sharp, but not in the least competitive or pretentious. Everyone is invested in helping each other succeed and understand the task at hand, so plenty of informal training is gladly offered. I have had a very busy associate say to me, 'I have thirty minutes of free time. Grab a chair and I'll teach you some modeling." without me asking. An office saying is that the biggest mistake you can make is a mistake you make alone. People here are highly driven, value competency, enjoy teaching, and have a good sense of humor.

2. The learning curve is incredible. I am entering senior year at an Ivy League university, and I have learned more in these past seven weeks about business than I have in my three years of college thus far. The focus on self development is huge.

3. Unlike many consulting firms, you can work on a variety of projects at the same time without traveling. This has a range of benefits. First, the knowlege transfer and bonds between colleagues are greater. Second, the range of projects and clients mean you won't get stuck doing repetitive tasks. Your learning curve will also be accelerated.

There is an intern case challenge. I personally enjoy case challenges, but being saddled with an extremely large intern team made the whole process very difficult. Furthermore, this took time away from immersing ourselves into analyst-level work or networking.

If you love to learn, dislike repetition, want to work on more than one client project over the course of your summer, enjoy collaborative work wtih highly driven people, and have an interest in human capital - APPLY. Mercer is wonderful.

Advice to Management

Compensation could be much better. This is the prime reason top people leave. This is also ironic because I am interning in a department that tells other Fortune 500 companies how to structure their compensation. Of all my internship offers, this one offered the least but I accepted it because I knew the learning curve/training would be unparalleled.

Also, Mercer needs to update their technology! It is 2013 and the NY office is working with Microsoft Office 2003. There is something wrong here.

An internship with great people, real projects and stellar work-life balance for consulting.
Philadelphia, PA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people were all very friendly and easy to approach, all the way up to Partner level. Everyone is here to help as well.

Sometimes there is not much work to go around, which is sometimes the nature of a consulting business.

A good fit for someone that likes dealing with the people aspect of a company and/or likes analytics and finance. There is also non-analytical work that is interesting.

Advice to Management

Have some projects/work lined up for interns when they arrive for the summer. Perhaps set up shadowing days where they can shadow certain projects.

Insightful corporate experience with nice colleagues and challenging work.
Dallas, TX | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

pay, colleagues, and the personal mentoring

lots of down time and hours on the computer

It's a lot of writing! But its not necessarily creative writing, so a journalism degree is not required.

Advice to Management

Promote shadowing of associates and consultants. Provide lots of projects for the intern to do during down time.

integrative experience
San Francisco, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

busy nature of internship; being able to communicate with all levels of employees from newhire to partner; taking part in Marsh & McLennan company events

national intern project - lacked direction

people are busy - you go to them and reach out, ask questions even if you think it's bothersome

Advice to Management

compensation

Talent Communications Consulting Internship
Philadelphia, PA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Colleagues were supportive, good work experience, exposure to corporate life, learned a lot about health care and other relevant issues.

Could use more office camaraderie

Be willing to seek out opportunities.

Don't overlook the details.
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people were all very welcoming and open to talking about their background and experiences.

It seems a lot of people are selected through connections. Also I heard there was high turnover rate. At times work can be a bit bureacratic.

The people are definitely very friendly, collaborative, and open. The culture is definitely not as competitive as some other firms: people seem more to thrive on living peacefully than ambitions.

Advice to Management

No living stipend for students that live in the tri-state area or go to school in a tri-state area, failing to keep notice that everyone pays extra for summer housing anyways. Really makes it unfair for students that dont receive any living stipends who have to pay out of pocket to rent in NYC for this internship.

Fun learning environment that was challenging yet very rewarding
Dallas, TX | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I enjoyed the closeness of the group that I worked with, and the variety of the work that I was able to be a part of.

There was not a specific aspect that I disliked.

I would say to for sure evaluate company culture, because that was a big part of why I enjoyed Mercer so much.

Project diversity and fun culture
Chicago, IL | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Project variety

Limited feedback from supervisor

Mercer (at least the Chicago office) is a complete meritocracy, which makes people put in as much as they want to get out. It also runs very autonomously with extremely flexible hours, which for me was desirable.