Booz Allen Hamilton Internship Program

Date: 2012

Learned a ton, had fun, and gained experience

Meeting new people, learning how to give presentations, and learning more about programming

Being stuck in a small room all day!

Be outgoing and meet people.

Advice to Management

More employee group get togethers.

N/A

Paid, in field I wanted, in desierable location, prestigious company, great program, great managers, great co-workers, great intern class

Wanted full week of Security+ training, not just class on the weekend

Network during your internship, talk with your manager and leadership team about your goals and opportunity for advancement, if you get an offer you'll be farther ahead than your peers when you begin full time

Advice to Management

Have more happy hours, possibly provide an area where other interns are living, work with apartment companies to get them to offer short term leases to your interns

Date: 2012

Great exposure to private sector and cybersecurity work

My involvement in multiple facets of my division (production and management). The number of options to self-improve outside of work (Security+ and CEH training offered, along with lectures).

Less involvement with other interns than I would have liked

Consulting work at Booz can be one of the most interesting career choices but only if when you get there you have the drive to chase after projects, get to know people in other divisions, and always try to self-improve.

Date: 2012

A ten week evaluation of my work abilities in a true working environment

The opportunity to work on software with a real world impact, and the experience of working with full-time employees to understand the culture and skills required.

Minimal flexibility in project choice

Treat the internship period as a 10-week paid job interview. You're not in the door yet, this is your chance to make the necessary impact to open up a world of opportunities.

Advice to Management

Offer close support, as needed, to your interns as they are young, inexperienced, and likely nervous about their ability to perform. With proper guidance many interns will have the opportunity to excel at their greatest potential.

Ten weeks of Brand new Experiences each week

Learn and Used many different technologies. Met a lot people and had many great experiences

Traffic coming home. The end of work came extremely quickly

Booz Allen Hamilton was a place where I was introduced to a wide range of different skills and technologies. My resume nearly doubled in my skills section because of the project that I had during the summer. Booz Allen Hamilton is a great place to for a young professional to be exposed to many different types of work all within one summer.

Advice to Management

Only advice I would give is to improve the response time of HR. It took a long time before the beginning of summer before the internship began.

Date: 2012

Real-world experience focused on subject matter relevant to your academic focus

Relevance to academic discipline/interesting work Attention received from current employees for questions and other issues

Projects were slow to start, which resulted in some wasted time at the beginning of the internship

Make sure that your assigned work will be in an area that is similar to your academic discipline

Advice to Management

Begin planning the intern projects earlier so that everything will be set up from the first day they arrive to work

Date: 2012

Valuable opportunity for career exploration in the field of technology and consulting

- Great Networking - Experience in a professional environment - Opportunity to get to know the consulting profession - Great, down to earth career advice - Encouraged to explore the company and ALWAYS ask questions

- I wish I had the opportunity to work with other interns or full-time employees more frequently, most of the time I was on my own

The program is what you make of it. I was able to explore different projects, and interact with different capabilities within the company because I took the initiative to do so. If you ask questions, and explore, you will have a great time!

Advice to Management

I didn't so much care for the hoteling process. It was difficult to form relationships with employers and other interns since contact was limited by the availability of space. I made it work though.

Date: 2012

An enjoyable and educational experience that gave me the experience and confidence to enter the workforce.

My fellow team members and the great atmosphere and morale at work.

There was some ambiguity related to my tasking in the beginning of the internship.

I was a co-op for a specific department, which is different than the regular intern program. But, my experience was that Booz Allen does an amazing job taking care of its interns. They give you lots of opportunities to meet higher-ups and access their firm-wide resources. They are known for their career mentoring program, and they definitely emphasize that for interns.

Advice to Management

When I first arrived in the summer, there was some confusion about my placement, which was frustrating, because I felt at one point like I had to interview for an internship that I was already supposed to have. That being said, the situation was resolved when one of my previous managers heard about it and brought me back to his team.

Excellent Corporate Culture and Collaborative Environment

Opportunities to be involved in all aspects of the firm and experience different potential career paths. We also had the chance to network and form relationships with many of the current employees and among thr intern group as well.

I intered there for two summers, my first summer I ended up not being able to do any external work on our project because of the timing for recieving a clearence and disagreements with the client on allowing an inter to charge to the contract. I think better planning and preparation could be helpful in avoiding this problem in the future.

Take advantage of all hte opportunities given to you as an intern. It may seem like a lot to get involved in everything, but its only one summer and the things you learn and the connections you make will pay off in the long run. Also, don't hesitate to ask any questions, everyone was always willing to anser questions and give advice.

Advice to Management

Overall I think the company did a great job at orienting and developing the interns. After completing two years of interships I was asked to sit down with the coordinators for our intern team and discuss my thoughts and opinions which I think is an integral part of continuing to advance and develope the program.

Date: 2012

Integrated into Booz Allen culture and mission via training, mentoring and on the job experience in computer security and pentesting

compensation, interesting work, project competition at end of summer

would have liked help finding apartment/living space

Be in communications with the person coordinating your portion of the internship program. Let them know specifically what you are interested in so you can pursue that area and don't get put into something you have no interest in. When in doubt, communicate.

Advice to Management

help with finding housing/apartment, possibility for interns to enter as Sr. Consultant instead of Consultant when coming back full-time