A.T. Kearney Summer Consultant Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #10 Best Consulting Internships

Hands on Operations Consulting Engagement
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Responsibilities were similar to that of a full time associate

Working in Lakeville MN

Seek out regular feedback to understand your progress and areas for improvement

Immediately impactful, limitless opportunities for personal growth
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The amount of responsibility given and the chance to run with a discrete piece of the puzzle. Really outstanding people that I can't help but to look up to.

The experience depends heavily on the specific project to which you get assigned and the people staffed on that project. I feel like I lucked out a bit and enjoyed both thoroughly.

Be comfortable with autonomy - you will be expected to lead, suggest, and direct your part of the work.

Advice to Management

ATK takes training and diversity very seriously, and should be proud on both fronts. I feel like it can improve as an organization in the areas of recruiting, non-work related opportunities (i.e. externships, pro bono opportunities), and branding. Right now I feel ATK punches below its weight in marketplace perception.

A true consulting experience
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The fact that I got to experience the consulting industry first-hand on a real project where I was able to make an impact on the project and the client.

That not all of the interns were given the time necessary to attend the team-building intern events.

If you are looking to get a feel for the consulting industry and want to work with some great people then A.T. Kearney is a place to get that experience. I would say that have realistic expectations for the industry and realize that you will have to work hard.

Challenging but rewarding summer with great opportunities for a career changer
Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Well-organized/structured program with opportunities to pursue the types of projects/industry work I would be interested in the future. The networking opportunities and office activities also provided a fun environment to work in.

The travel and long-hours of a consulting lifestyle, but it's not any worse than any of the top consulting firms.

A.T. Kearney has a very open environment and the company prefers a collaborative culture. It's not just a consulting firm that swoops in, makes recommendations and leaves. The company takes it a step further and works with the clients to accomplish the results promised in the recommendations.

An internship where you are Involved with all aspects of team work and treated like a full time employee, not an intern
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The two best aspects of the internship was having my own work stream that was critical to the client. I wasn't given non-meaningful work, but actually worked on a project that was presented to the COO. In addition, the firm goes out of it's way to make sure you are networking/connected with anyone you want to meet. Whether it is a partner or an associate, everyone has an open door policy and is willing to talk.

The only part I did not like was, this being a consulting internship, I wanted to experience the travel. Unfortunately I was staffed on a local project. This only happened to 3/4 of 55 interns so very minimal. But the only negative from the summer

If you want to be thrown into the mix and experience what your day to day life will be like, then this is the internship for you. It is not an internship where you are treated like an intern doing 70% or 80% of the week. It is a great place to see if consulting is for you and you are given all the tools to succeed

- Why A.T. Kearney?

- Why Consulting?

- Tell us a time you worked in a team?

Advice to Management

The can do a little better on the hours. They can also try less travel moving to 3 days a week from 4.

Developed and executed sourcing strategy for a fleet warranty recovery initiative at a global beverage company
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Project experience, training, people, networking opportunities

Long hours

The intern experience is a reflective of actual full-time project experience. You will have a genuine experience, which can be more demanding than the experience offered at other firms.

Summer program provides real-feel for consulting lifestyle
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Travelling to various offices and meeting other summer consultants from across the country

The pressure

Have a specific reason for the type of internship and job you are looking for. Do not follow the herd or go to an industry simply because your friends are. Once you've selected the right industry for you, really do your homework to see which firm is the best fit for you (may or may not be the highest ranked firm)

Advice to Management

More training on basic skills required for success (specifically Excel & PowerPoint and the unique ways they will be utilized)

Great people doing great work
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

- Friendly down to earth people

- Market competitive pay packages

- As possible work life balance

- Training can be made more interesting (maybe in a different office than home)

- Better on campus presence is required

- Get to know the people and the work that is being done

- Being relatively smaller can mean more opportunities to grow

- Leverage size to make a more prominent personal brand

Advice to Management

- Better on campus presence

- More events and greater participation by consultants

Trial by fire, but with lots of support
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I interacted with, both on the project and in the office, were great to work with. I could talk openly about my project and what I wanted to get out of my summer and they would go out of their way to make sure I hit my targets and goals.

It didn't seem like there was much advance thought on how someone around for only 10 weeks would fit into the project. The project hadn't started yet when my internship started, and it took several weeks before I knew exactly what I would be working on.

Make sure that your interests align with the strengths of the company. It is very easy to get onto an operations projects, since the company specializes in operations. Strategy projects are harder to come by, especially as an intern.

Hard work but a great and realistic learning experience

- Team dinner and events

- Summer events

- Being able to actually conduct interviews and own stakeholder management for my workstream

- Hours were long

- A lot of pressure from a tight project timeline

- Gives you a great and realistic view of what it means to be a consultant. It isnt all work and no play because you have a lot of fun too.

I dont remember.

Advice to Management

- Greater diversity

- Better and more consistent summer events