Intern at A.T. Kearney Summer Consultant Program? Submit a Review

Professional development through apprenticeship-based learning in a collaborative environment, while helping US companies solve big problems

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with, and the others I networked with - the culture is extremely collaborative, and the ability to interact with a lot of very smart people who don't have a chip on their shoulder.

I had a great time, and there wasn't anything in particular that I did not like.

Learn about the firm's history and culture and how it defines the firm. The firm is very proud, as it should be, of its history and the collaborative nature is critical to their success. Also scour their website for lots of interesting articles on various areas, and on where the firm is headed in the future.

2 rounds of interviews: Round 1 had 2 case interviews; Round 2 had 1 case interview, 1 written/presentation case interview and 1 behavioral that was very conversational - they were trying to assess if I was someone that could hold an interesting conversation for a period of 45 minutes ("the airport test")

Fun professional growth

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great manager, great team, learning experience

Relatively low partner involvement

Collaborative culture, great people

A true consulting experience

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The fact that I got to experience the consulting industry first-hand on a real project where I was able to make an impact on the project and the client.

That not all of the interns were given the time necessary to attend the team-building intern events.

If you are looking to get a feel for the consulting industry and want to work with some great people then A.T. Kearney is a place to get that experience. I would say that have realistic expectations for the industry and realize that you will have to work hard.

Challenging but rewarding summer with great opportunities for a career changer

Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Well-organized/structured program with opportunities to pursue the types of projects/industry work I would be interested in the future. The networking opportunities and office activities also provided a fun environment to work in.

The travel and long-hours of a consulting lifestyle, but it's not any worse than any of the top consulting firms.

A.T. Kearney has a very open environment and the company prefers a collaborative culture. It's not just a consulting firm that swoops in, makes recommendations and leaves. The company takes it a step further and works with the clients to accomplish the results promised in the recommendations.

Developed and executed sourcing strategy for a fleet warranty recovery initiative at a global beverage company

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Project experience, training, people, networking opportunities

Long hours

The intern experience is a reflective of actual full-time project experience. You will have a genuine experience, which can be more demanding than the experience offered at other firms.

Hard work but a great and realistic learning experience

- Team dinner and events

- Summer events

- Being able to actually conduct interviews and own stakeholder management for my workstream

- Hours were long

- A lot of pressure from a tight project timeline

- Gives you a great and realistic view of what it means to be a consultant. It isnt all work and no play because you have a lot of fun too.

I dont remember.

Advice to Management

- Greater diversity

- Better and more consistent summer events

An internship where you are Involved with all aspects of team work and treated like a full time employee, not an intern

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The two best aspects of the internship was having my own work stream that was critical to the client. I wasn't given non-meaningful work, but actually worked on a project that was presented to the COO. In addition, the firm goes out of it's way to make sure you are networking/connected with anyone you want to meet. Whether it is a partner or an associate, everyone has an open door policy and is willing to talk.

The only part I did not like was, this being a consulting internship, I wanted to experience the travel. Unfortunately I was staffed on a local project. This only happened to 3/4 of 55 interns so very minimal. But the only negative from the summer

If you want to be thrown into the mix and experience what your day to day life will be like, then this is the internship for you. It is not an internship where you are treated like an intern doing 70% or 80% of the week. It is a great place to see if consulting is for you and you are given all the tools to succeed

- Why A.T. Kearney?

- Why Consulting?

- Tell us a time you worked in a team?

Advice to Management

The can do a little better on the hours. They can also try less travel moving to 3 days a week from 4.

Realistic experience and real responsibility

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was provided real responsibility and was doing the exact same thing as the experienced full-time employees on the project working with me were doing.

Feedback process could have been better.

The internship provides a realistic snapshot of what a full-time position would entail.

Valuable work experience in a friendly corporate environment

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Type of work performed, growth path, client exposure

Client location

The collaboration culture makes workdays much shorter

Shutdown a production plant or not

Profitability of a coffee shop

Advice to Management

Start a stronger job-rotation program among the difference functions

Trial by fire, but with lots of support

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I interacted with, both on the project and in the office, were great to work with. I could talk openly about my project and what I wanted to get out of my summer and they would go out of their way to make sure I hit my targets and goals.

It didn't seem like there was much advance thought on how someone around for only 10 weeks would fit into the project. The project hadn't started yet when my internship started, and it took several weeks before I knew exactly what I would be working on.

Make sure that your interests align with the strengths of the company. It is very easy to get onto an operations projects, since the company specializes in operations. Strategy projects are harder to come by, especially as an intern.