A.T. Kearney Summer Consultant Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #8 Best Internships for MBA Candidates

Ten weeks of rapid education in how to derive business insights and how to manage a team
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

1) Simply the wealth of opportunities this job offers - the variety of the work, both across functions, industries, and geographies.

2) The great people here, and the amount of effort they put into mentorship

There seems to be quite a variety of working conditions/hours between summer consultants, but that is largely expected with the territory.

See if you can talk to one of the partners that leads an office, and ask them what makes Kearney different, and ask them to provide examples. Kearney wins in the marketplace because it is unique - find out why.

Best learning experience of my life! I can't wait to get back into it and grow even more.
San Francisco, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The amount of learning and impactful work I was able to accomplish n such a short time.

Long distance travel.

Dive into everything you do and you'll find that your expereince will be even more rewarding.

The best summer experience I could have asked for: the best people to work with, interesting job, and great company culture
Other (International) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning, team, company culture

Long hours

The company does its best to make you feel comfortable and cares about you. People want you to learn about the company, and its culture. The summer events are very fun and they facilitate networking.

Stellar Consulting Internship Experience
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The extremely high quality of the consultants, and the tightly-knit culture.

Only negative aspects are those that are a part of consulting in general; living out of a hotel, etc.

Deliver pristine work, but also make a real effort to meet as many people as possible.

fast pace. fully engaged. so fun.
San Francisco, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Traveling to train and meet the other interns.

Hours can get long.

Know the firm and culture.

Advice to Management

More perks like at high tech firms.

Get the most realistic and transparent view of strategy consulting, the firm's culture and what impact the firm can drive for its clients.
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

1. learn about the firm event. the firm flew in all the interns to new york for a weekend of interactions with firm's leaders, fine dining, partying and team-building.

Almost all weeknds were jam-packed - either with intern activities or with client work. part of the reason being that the firm tried to make the most of the weekends. There were certain weekends when the client committments took over. Balancing the two was definitely a challenge.

1. Firm- culture might be the most overused word across firms, but where it really matters. It translated to how the firms approaches strategy consulting, how collaborative is the firm with clients and how they hire, develop and retain their consultants.

2. Each firm is unique into expertise across industries and functions. Some of the ares ATK has unmatched expertise are retail, CPG, Energy & process industries, operations and procurement. This list varies across firms. If you are interested in specific industries from the get-go instead of being a generalist for too long, then research the firms in detail during the recruiting process. That wil definitely help in selecting the best fit.

Advice to Management

none

Streamlining a 10-week RFP process to 3 weeks
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I had a great team and a great client

Ten weeks is actually a pretty short time to make a big impact

Don't worry about "brand name" when evaluating organizations - evaluate organizations based on the people you meet and the work they do

Great opportunity to develop your business skillset and advance your professional career, working with great people while also getting paid!
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The opportunity for independence within my workstream to drive deliverables toward completion, and learning/developing week upon week.

The unknown feeling of where you are going to be staffed before you actually find out.

Firm takes an interest in developing your skills, provides feedback to help you succeed, and recruits full-time consultants out of the Summer Associate program.

Rewarding opportunity to learn more than I ever thought possible
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Compensation and benefits, smart people, good career prospects

Long hours and a steep learning curve

Structure is paramount

Embrace change

There is a steep learning curve, but it is rewarding

Advice to Management

Mentor managers to provide more appropriate oversight of work streams

The intersection of strategy, procurement, and client change management.
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

ATK takes training and mentorship seriously -- you will be equipped with the skills you need to succeed.

Joined a project at a very busy time -- no babying -- asked to step up and take on full associate load and then some. Very, very busy work schedule. Project specific - but tough quality of life.

Great organization to spend a summer with -- you will learn, grow, and meet some very impressive people. High recommendation.

Advice to Management

Intern project selection is key.