Symantec Intern Program Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #3 Best Engineering Internships

Blossoming program manager

Great culture, people, and location

Not enough work all the time

Be yourself. Don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for help.

Innovation

Get a peep at the real business world and get to social with the people

We don't want pizza for lunch!!!!!!!!!!

Get prepared with your skill sets and really contribut to the position you are in. Don't just takt is as a summer camp and participate every unnecassary events.

Advice to Management

At the end of the intern program, it's good to have every intern to introduce their job and accomplishment to the other interns. Becaus some people may find that what they really want to/apt to do is another position.

Date: 2013

Challenging, educational, and rewarding internship, but the pay is middle-of-the-road

I worked on a great team. I was trusted with extremely vital projects, and performed the exact same tasks as the full-time engineers.

They pay is good, but not great. Most importantly, there are not very many young people at the company, and not a rich company culture.

Negotiate when you receive your first offer; they will pay you more if you ask

Advice to Management

Symantec is paying interns a bit less than a lot of other companies, and this will drive away the best candidates with a lot of other competitive offers.

Date: 2013

Excel On All Task and You Will Be Given More; Never Underestimate the Little Things

Networking, Colleagues, and the opportunity to work on a meaningful project

At times I was unclear about what I should be doing, and how I could provide value to both my team or Symantec as a whole

Stay motivated, stay positive, and be an eager self-starter!

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have a clearer perspective of job prospects moving forward within the company and to have a more clearly defined set of tasks.

Date: 2013

Good real life engineering experience at a solid software company.

Getting to work as part of the team, getting duties like a regular employee, and since the people are very helpful I got to learn good practices from them.

That it was not intense enough.

Ask a lot of questions and read the documentation/ white papers/ internal presentations to learn Symantec's technology. From this you'll get to know your role and also what parts of the company you're interested in.

Advice to Management

Give interns one big project to work on on top of their daily assignments to make it feel meaningful/ fulfilling.

Challenging

You get to have the opportunity to do real work as well as learn from qualified professionals.

Getting to do the less challenging manual every day tasks.

Give it your best and keep a positive attitude. Show enthusiasm and desire to work.

Great Environment, Awesome Experience

The environment was great, I didnt feel like what

I felt like I could do more, it wasnt assumed I could do as much as I could, so my work load was sometimes absurdly light and some of the work felt more like busy work, to take up time so I wasnt sitting around doing nothing. For example, sorting lists, that task requires one button click in Excel and has no learning value for me.

Working at Symantec was great, everyone was very helpful in the event I had an issue and friendly even when I didnt.

Advice to Management

I feel like being a manager of interns is different than being a manager of a typical employee. Managing interns I feel like should be a bit more hands on, my manager was sometimes very hands off and very hard to get in contact with when I needed something and communication wasn't always great. I would ask about getting a new project from my manager, but would get no reply so I would find work from someone else and get an email later from someone my manager spoke to about me without my knowing, so I then had two different assignments to complete that were often in opposite directions.

Date: 2013

A starter in my career life.

valuable experience; knowledge on the real life work.

Discrepancy as full-time employees at some aspects.

Don't aiming too high level when looking for the internship opportunity.

Advice to Management

There should be some promotion policies and compensation increases to some interns who is doing beyond the expectation/requirement.

Good First Internship With Solid Intern Program and Welcoming People

The team: they made a reasonable effort to make me feel like a part of the team. I learned and actively participated in the Agile development process. Solid intern program with many recruiters and events for interns.

My manager and mentor were too busy. I appreciated that my manager would swing by about once a week to check in with me, but it was sometimes hard to find him at other times. Partly my fault, but I probably should have been more assertive in picking out more work to do.

Get to know your manager and team -- a lot of them really care for your well-being and your happiness at the company, even if they may seem very busy. Stay in communication with the recruiters; they're really nice and they put together a lot of events for you. Try to define some more specific goals with your manager,

Date: 2013

Symantec Internship Provides Experience in Impactful Projects With Balancing Enjoyable Intern Activities

I felt this internship provided me a positive experience in tackling a project which would help the company in the long term. Every step of the way I was provided with help and guidance through the experience. I was provided a buddy to specifically work with me whenever I was struggling. In addition, the close knit group of interns in San Francisco improved my experience.

I felt not being in the main office hindered me from attending some of the activities. However, being in San Francisco, I was still able to ask to attend them and was recieved very well.

For me, I enjoyed the work I was doing as well as the friendly environment I was working in.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)