Symantec Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #3 Best Engineering Internships

Blossoming program manager
Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great culture, people, and location

Not enough work all the time

Be yourself. Don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for help.

Innovation
Mountain View, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Get a peep at the real business world and get to social with the people

We don't want pizza for lunch!!!!!!!!!!

Get prepared with your skill sets and really contribut to the position you are in. Don't just takt is as a summer camp and participate every unnecassary events.

Advice to Management

At the end of the intern program, it's good to have every intern to introduce their job and accomplishment to the other interns. Becaus some people may find that what they really want to/apt to do is another position.

Excel On All Task and You Will Be Given More; Never Underestimate the Little Things
Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Networking, Colleagues, and the opportunity to work on a meaningful project

At times I was unclear about what I should be doing, and how I could provide value to both my team or Symantec as a whole

Stay motivated, stay positive, and be an eager self-starter!

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have a clearer perspective of job prospects moving forward within the company and to have a more clearly defined set of tasks.

Challenging, educational, and rewarding internship, but the pay is middle-of-the-road
Mountain View, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I worked on a great team. I was trusted with extremely vital projects, and performed the exact same tasks as the full-time engineers.

They pay is good, but not great. Most importantly, there are not very many young people at the company, and not a rich company culture.

Negotiate when you receive your first offer; they will pay you more if you ask

Advice to Management

Symantec is paying interns a bit less than a lot of other companies, and this will drive away the best candidates with a lot of other competitive offers.

Great Environment, Awesome Experience
Orlando, FL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The environment was great, I didnt feel like what

I felt like I could do more, it wasnt assumed I could do as much as I could, so my work load was sometimes absurdly light and some of the work felt more like busy work, to take up time so I wasnt sitting around doing nothing. For example, sorting lists, that task requires one button click in Excel and has no learning value for me.

Working at Symantec was great, everyone was very helpful in the event I had an issue and friendly even when I didnt.

Advice to Management

I feel like being a manager of interns is different than being a manager of a typical employee. Managing interns I feel like should be a bit more hands on, my manager was sometimes very hands off and very hard to get in contact with when I needed something and communication wasn't always great. I would ask about getting a new project from my manager, but would get no reply so I would find work from someone else and get an email later from someone my manager spoke to about me without my knowing, so I then had two different assignments to complete that were often in opposite directions.

Good real life engineering experience at a solid software company.
Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to work as part of the team, getting duties like a regular employee, and since the people are very helpful I got to learn good practices from them.

That it was not intense enough.

Ask a lot of questions and read the documentation/ white papers/ internal presentations to learn Symantec's technology. From this you'll get to know your role and also what parts of the company you're interested in.

Advice to Management

Give interns one big project to work on on top of their daily assignments to make it feel meaningful/ fulfilling.

Challenging
Orlando, FL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

You get to have the opportunity to do real work as well as learn from qualified professionals.

Getting to do the less challenging manual every day tasks.

Give it your best and keep a positive attitude. Show enthusiasm and desire to work.

Benefits in the High Tech Industry
Mountain View, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect was being a small part of an incredible company that is set to thrive in a fascinating industry.

It didn't confirm or deny whether or not this is a career I'd like to pursue.

This is an excellent company going through exciting changes. Try to get an internship here!

Advice to Management

I think that a lot of the work happens via email, phone conference, etc. It might be helpful to have more collaboration in-person.

A starter in my career life.
Toronto | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

valuable experience; knowledge on the real life work.

Discrepancy as full-time employees at some aspects.

Don't aiming too high level when looking for the internship opportunity.

Advice to Management

There should be some promotion policies and compensation increases to some interns who is doing beyond the expectation/requirement.

One of the best internships I could have hoped for
Calgary | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great mentor and boss who was there to help me improve as an engineer and not use me for cheap labour;

Very knowledgeable and helpful team;

Very interesting work;

I learned a ton and became a much better software engineer, it helped me a lot when finding a full time job after school

The pay was fairly bad, especially for Calgary

It all comes down to having a good boss and team, when you interview make sure to ask them lots of questions about the working environment and type of tasks you will be doing. What is most important here is the experience you will gain, and how you will learn and develop as a worker in the industry.

Advice to Management

My only complain was my pay, which was very low. I had internship job offers for over $30, 000 more a year then Symantec was paying me, only reason I took the Symantec job was because of the type of work and my boss.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)