Symantec Internship Program

4.3 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 89 Intern Reviews)

Interesting as it gets with CSS
Mountain View, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The pay was good and the team I worked with was good

The work was really slow

Make sure you know what the project is you will be working on

Basic data structures questions

How to go about designing stuff

Advice to Management

Be more organized when giving projects to interns

it not a great place to be a intern at.
San Francisco, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

flexible people

pay is low

good for java developers

Great way to experience corporate business first-hand
Mountain View, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Increased responsibility, being treated as a full-time employee

Confusing policies, not being able to see results of projects

Get involved with as many projects as you can and express interest in the work early so your supervisors know your serious and that you have the drive and ambition to take on interesting projects.

Financial Functionality
Mountain View, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to work so close to the higher ups in the finance department was an enlightening experience, especially during the time period of a quarter close.

There were a few monotonous administrative tasks such as putting away office supplies, where I felt my skill set could have best been used elsewhere.

Symantec is the world's largest security company, and the inner workings of such a large company is very enlightening and informative. The rotation program that Symantec offers for new hires is outstanding, as one is able to see where they really fit best before making a full-time commitment

Advice to Management

It would be helpful to gain more advice on how to obtain a full-time position

Product Management - What You Need to Know About Making a Great Product
Saint Paul, MN | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexible work hours; many people to work with and learn from if their time is available

There seems to be a lack of training and/or information to understand Symantec and its products at the beginning of my internship. Most of what I learn about the Symantec organization and its products were through workplace interaction; which was a good experience.

Don't waste other people's time at work.

That means to consider what your work responsibilities are and what other people's responsibilities are before suggesting a course of action that may go against it.

Take the time to learn and know what an organization can do and how they work. It is an internship, you're paid for your work and time, make the best of it.

Advice to Management

I don't mind having fun people at work but seriously, what is with a lead intern wasting the workplace resources on cameras and balloons during the middle of a work day? Too much free time I suppose.

As copied from the original message:

Header: BALOON CAMERA yeah!!*%$! don't tell managers =)

"YO DOGS – I bought several huge helium balloons (they’re in my car) and we’re going to launch a small video camera, tied to these balloons, RIGHT NOW near the volleyball net.

The more people who are in the video the better, so if you could come outside within the next ten minutes, it would make me happy on the inside.

Baloon gets launched 1:50"

This was done with workplace resources. There should have been no cause for it. Please have the interns provide a daily summary of what they are doing if they are incapable of managing their own time and shared workplace resources.

At the very least, management should provide guidelines for what is expected from the interns they hire.

All work and not much play.
Mountain View, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I learned a lot, the team was willing to take time out and teach me, the manager was very nice and accommodating.

I didn't get to network as much as I wanted to, there weren't many perks like a lot of summer activities, the HR was very slow and unresponsive, my hours were not as flexible as I wanted them to be, the pay was a little on the lower end for the work performed, and the management didn't really have a plan to help mentor me.

Negotiating about the pay would be a good thing to do, try to network with people outside the organization to get a different view on things.

Advice to Management

Compensation was a bit of a problem for me. I was told it was a Masters level internship but I wasn't getting the Masters level pay. I was doing a lot of work, and I didn't feel like the compensation matched that. Training is amazing, so keep that up. The policy to have mandatory educational training is good. It would be nice to have some more events for interns, and employees in general.

It was cool, but a computer science internship at basically every other company is better.
Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I got to work with some of the top people in their field.

Symantec no longer attracts the top people in computer science or even computer security. So what you have is a bunch of people who think that they are top, but really aren't anywhere near there. Additionally Symantec does not have the perks or compensation available at basically every other computer science company.

Symantec isn't your typical computer science company. Don't expect any of the normal perks.

Advice to Management

Symantec really need to make the internship program more competitive. Applying is a pain, there should be a general application not a department specific one. Additionally when comparing the program to the internship programs at basically every other software company Symantec falls way behind. If you want to attract top talent then you need to have a top internship program. Additionally you need to work on fixing the company culture. It's not really conducive towards software development.