Intern at Symantec Internship Program? Submit a Review

Protect the internet with cutting edge technology and work with some incredibly knowledgable people.

Herndon, VA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning how to identify and handle incidents was the most interesting part of the internship for me.

That I wasn't able to work in the queue like a full time analyst but due to time restrictions this was entirely understandable.

This job is amazing if you are interested in seeing how a managed security provider protects hundreds of large companies world-wide from cyber threats.

Advice to Management

Not much, possibly come up with more hands on things to work on.

This internship provided practical, real-world experience, decent pay in a flexible environment, and valuable team building skills.

Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexible hours, opportunities to get involved to increase visibility for hire, nice perks (good food, free coffee, gym). Relaxed environment, but on a driven and supportive team. Respectful and caring to all employees and treat interns like full-timers.

Less pay and perks than forerunners of the computer science industry (Google, Microsoft, etc.). Not much face time with management (could be good or bad based on personal preferences).

As my first job in the industry (computer science), this internship was a dream for me, and if the pay is in your desired range, they have everything you might want. I felt like I was a trusted and respected part of the team, enough to be treated as any other full-time employee. Work moved at the pace I was going, and I was put on some great projects.

Advice to Management

I am having an extremely enjoyable time at Symantec, and I attribute that largely to the respect, trust, and patience management puts into their interns. Please continue to do such a great job in making me feel like a meaningful part of the team. The only criticism I would have is that some of management seemed either too distant or busy to get much face-time to sit down and talk about job prospects or tricks and tips of working at the company; this was not a big deal, as I'd rather be self-guided and working, but I think this would make the job a lot more personable.

Learning and professionalism

Mountain View, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Team work and new technologies

Sports events

Security is a vital part of organisation which is continuosly backed by innovative products supporting diverse learning experience.

A good place to learn good software practice and real-world solutions to common software challenges!

Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

-Ability to learn from experienced engineers

-Ability to improve coding skills

-Opportunity to communicate with people from different technical backgrounds

Having a well-defined project from the start would be better.

Your internship experience can only be great if you take initiative and make the most out of it.

Blossoming program manager

Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great culture, people, and location

Not enough work all the time

Be yourself. Don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for help.

Overall a great experience in which I learned a lot about MSS and incident handling. Great environment to work in.

Herndon, VA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

-The people

-Team building events

-Learning the system/workflow

-Being able to positively contribute to the team

-Not allowed to get completely hands on like full-time analysts

If you have an interest in incident detection / analysis this is a great place to start. You have great visibility into the system and how it works and get to see real-world attacks of all kinds on a daily basis. Corporate culture is much more relaxed and trusting than I thought it would be. You will work with a small/medium sized team and get to know everyone well.

Advice to Management

No issues with hours or compensation or anything like that. There is a bit of a steep learning curve when you are first hired and it seems a bit overwhelming at first. I found hands-on and mentor training to be the most valuable to getting up to speed.

Innovation

Mountain View, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Get a peep at the real business world and get to social with the people

We don't want pizza for lunch!!!!!!!!!!

Get prepared with your skill sets and really contribut to the position you are in. Don't just takt is as a summer camp and participate every unnecassary events.

Advice to Management

At the end of the intern program, it's good to have every intern to introduce their job and accomplishment to the other interns. Becaus some people may find that what they really want to/apt to do is another position.

Interned at a very difficult yet pivotal time for the company, such a rare opportunity to contribute to the company's transformation

Mountain View, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The hands-on learning opportunities they provided from attending meetings, facilitating meetings, to presenting at a worldwide conference.

First intern to start in my department on a newly formed team. I and the others established the structure for interns in the future.

take the initiative to keep yourself busy, your managers are busy and don't enjoy micromanaging interns as part of their day-to-day operations. They will provide the guidance to be productive while allowing you the freedom to be creative!

Advice to Management

On-boarding process (e.g. laptop, NPV, lots of accounts and passwords)

Great Environment, Awesome Experience

Orlando, FL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The environment was great, I didnt feel like what

I felt like I could do more, it wasnt assumed I could do as much as I could, so my work load was sometimes absurdly light and some of the work felt more like busy work, to take up time so I wasnt sitting around doing nothing. For example, sorting lists, that task requires one button click in Excel and has no learning value for me.

Working at Symantec was great, everyone was very helpful in the event I had an issue and friendly even when I didnt.

Advice to Management

I feel like being a manager of interns is different than being a manager of a typical employee. Managing interns I feel like should be a bit more hands on, my manager was sometimes very hands off and very hard to get in contact with when I needed something and communication wasn't always great. I would ask about getting a new project from my manager, but would get no reply so I would find work from someone else and get an email later from someone my manager spoke to about me without my knowing, so I then had two different assignments to complete that were often in opposite directions.

Project Manager Intern

Orlando, FL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working together as a team

Everything about this internship was fun and exciting

Great Team and everyone is nice and friendly