Symantec Internship Program

4.3 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 89 Intern Reviews)

Ah, um, That's a hard question, you know?
Saint Paul, MN | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

flexible hours

interesting works

good coworkers

n/a n/a n/a n/a n/a

Good place to work, you should do it.

Wonderful experience interning at Symantec
Saint Paul, MN | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Welcoming environment, project variety, real-world experience

Working 40-hour weeks but earning no PTO

Symantec in Roseville is an excellent place to work, with a good work/life balance and plenty of opportunities to meet coworkers and network (and get free food!). The work is interesting, and I felt like a valued part of the team.

Advice to Management

Especially for lengthy internships (longer than just the summer), it would be nice to earn at least some vacation to take a day off here or there.

This internship provided practical, real-world experience, decent pay in a flexible environment, and valuable team building skills.
Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexible hours, opportunities to get involved to increase visibility for hire, nice perks (good food, free coffee, gym). Relaxed environment, but on a driven and supportive team. Respectful and caring to all employees and treat interns like full-timers.

Less pay and perks than forerunners of the computer science industry (Google, Microsoft, etc.). Not much face time with management (could be good or bad based on personal preferences).

As my first job in the industry (computer science), this internship was a dream for me, and if the pay is in your desired range, they have everything you might want. I felt like I was a trusted and respected part of the team, enough to be treated as any other full-time employee. Work moved at the pace I was going, and I was put on some great projects.

Advice to Management

I am having an extremely enjoyable time at Symantec, and I attribute that largely to the respect, trust, and patience management puts into their interns. Please continue to do such a great job in making me feel like a meaningful part of the team. The only criticism I would have is that some of management seemed either too distant or busy to get much face-time to sit down and talk about job prospects or tricks and tips of working at the company; this was not a big deal, as I'd rather be self-guided and working, but I think this would make the job a lot more personable.

It has been awesome.
Mountain View, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with a great team on a great product, learning a lot, ownership of projects, knowing the impact of your work on the team.

Small cubical space (although this varies, because other interns have big offices), would've liked free snacks/lunches/drinks

It's a great company to work for, everyone is extremely courteous and it's a great workplace environment.

Advice to Management

Maybe a little higher pay, although it's definitely competitive with other places.

Blossoming program manager
Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great culture, people, and location

Not enough work all the time

Be yourself. Don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for help.

A good place to learn good software practice and real-world solutions to common software challenges!
Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

-Ability to learn from experienced engineers

-Ability to improve coding skills

-Opportunity to communicate with people from different technical backgrounds

Having a well-defined project from the start would be better.

Your internship experience can only be great if you take initiative and make the most out of it.

Innovation
Mountain View, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Get a peep at the real business world and get to social with the people

We don't want pizza for lunch!!!!!!!!!!

Get prepared with your skill sets and really contribut to the position you are in. Don't just takt is as a summer camp and participate every unnecassary events.

Advice to Management

At the end of the intern program, it's good to have every intern to introduce their job and accomplishment to the other interns. Becaus some people may find that what they really want to/apt to do is another position.

Overall a great experience in which I learned a lot about MSS and incident handling. Great environment to work in.
Herndon, VA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

-The people

-Team building events

-Learning the system/workflow

-Being able to positively contribute to the team

-Not allowed to get completely hands on like full-time analysts

If you have an interest in incident detection / analysis this is a great place to start. You have great visibility into the system and how it works and get to see real-world attacks of all kinds on a daily basis. Corporate culture is much more relaxed and trusting than I thought it would be. You will work with a small/medium sized team and get to know everyone well.

Advice to Management

No issues with hours or compensation or anything like that. There is a bit of a steep learning curve when you are first hired and it seems a bit overwhelming at first. I found hands-on and mentor training to be the most valuable to getting up to speed.

Symantec was an amazing experience that let me grow as a professional.
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The freedom to make my own schedule, ask anyone for help, learn real world software engineering skills, and being introduced to the higher up people in the company.

The team felt very disconnected and there were people sitting around me that I was never introduced to. The collaborative nature is there, but maybe because I was working on my own project I didn't really get to meet a lot of people.

This is an excellent software engineering internship. You will definitely learn about the current technology and work on products that will be released to into the real world. The commute is sometimes a hassle unless you have a vehicle, but there certainly is public transportation that will take you near the Waltham location.

Advice to Management

Definitely training. I still have no idea what exactly Symantec 4.0 is, yet it was brought up almost all the time. The videos used were outdated and contained the old CEO. They should be updated to the current Symantec standards.

Project Manager Intern
Orlando, FL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working together as a team

Everything about this internship was fun and exciting

Great Team and everyone is nice and friendly