Symantec Internship Program

4.3 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 89 Intern Reviews)

Great learning experience
Mountain View, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I learned lots of things during my internship. Learned new techniques, programming language and much more.

I didn't got relocation even though other interns got it.

Symantec is a great company to start and develop ur career.

Advice to Management

Compensation, Food plcaes

This internship provided practical, real-world experience, decent pay in a flexible environment, and valuable team building skills.
Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexible hours, opportunities to get involved to increase visibility for hire, nice perks (good food, free coffee, gym). Relaxed environment, but on a driven and supportive team. Respectful and caring to all employees and treat interns like full-timers.

Less pay and perks than forerunners of the computer science industry (Google, Microsoft, etc.). Not much face time with management (could be good or bad based on personal preferences).

As my first job in the industry (computer science), this internship was a dream for me, and if the pay is in your desired range, they have everything you might want. I felt like I was a trusted and respected part of the team, enough to be treated as any other full-time employee. Work moved at the pace I was going, and I was put on some great projects.

Advice to Management

I am having an extremely enjoyable time at Symantec, and I attribute that largely to the respect, trust, and patience management puts into their interns. Please continue to do such a great job in making me feel like a meaningful part of the team. The only criticism I would have is that some of management seemed either too distant or busy to get much face-time to sit down and talk about job prospects or tricks and tips of working at the company; this was not a big deal, as I'd rather be self-guided and working, but I think this would make the job a lot more personable.

The experience of a lifetime
Herndon, VA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Networking and experience. I learned so much about being an employer of a real business.

There was nothing I didn't like about it.

Be outgoing and productive

Innovation
Mountain View, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Get a peep at the real business world and get to social with the people

We don't want pizza for lunch!!!!!!!!!!

Get prepared with your skill sets and really contribut to the position you are in. Don't just takt is as a summer camp and participate every unnecassary events.

Advice to Management

At the end of the intern program, it's good to have every intern to introduce their job and accomplishment to the other interns. Becaus some people may find that what they really want to/apt to do is another position.

It has been awesome.
Mountain View, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with a great team on a great product, learning a lot, ownership of projects, knowing the impact of your work on the team.

Small cubical space (although this varies, because other interns have big offices), would've liked free snacks/lunches/drinks

It's a great company to work for, everyone is extremely courteous and it's a great workplace environment.

Advice to Management

Maybe a little higher pay, although it's definitely competitive with other places.

Blossoming program manager
Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great culture, people, and location

Not enough work all the time

Be yourself. Don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for help.

A good place to learn good software practice and real-world solutions to common software challenges!
Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

-Ability to learn from experienced engineers

-Ability to improve coding skills

-Opportunity to communicate with people from different technical backgrounds

Having a well-defined project from the start would be better.

Your internship experience can only be great if you take initiative and make the most out of it.

Overall a great experience in which I learned a lot about MSS and incident handling. Great environment to work in.
Herndon, VA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

-The people

-Team building events

-Learning the system/workflow

-Being able to positively contribute to the team

-Not allowed to get completely hands on like full-time analysts

If you have an interest in incident detection / analysis this is a great place to start. You have great visibility into the system and how it works and get to see real-world attacks of all kinds on a daily basis. Corporate culture is much more relaxed and trusting than I thought it would be. You will work with a small/medium sized team and get to know everyone well.

Advice to Management

No issues with hours or compensation or anything like that. There is a bit of a steep learning curve when you are first hired and it seems a bit overwhelming at first. I found hands-on and mentor training to be the most valuable to getting up to speed.

Excellent Summer Intern program at Symantec

Various opportunities to learn

Excellent team coordination and interaction

HR people willing to help and interact nicely

Manager/Mentor ready to listen and understand things

Lack of technical and informative documents for internal purpose

Lack of standard coding work

Less work burden on Interns

If interested, ask for work, don't wait

Try to be as much interactive with team as possible

Advice to Management

I am not aware too much about policies but yeah I would say I will love to work here any time. The only fact that can hinder this is the less work pays as compared to the same tier companies in the market.

Interned at a very difficult yet pivotal time for the company, such a rare opportunity to contribute to the company's transformation
Mountain View, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The hands-on learning opportunities they provided from attending meetings, facilitating meetings, to presenting at a worldwide conference.

First intern to start in my department on a newly formed team. I and the others established the structure for interns in the future.

take the initiative to keep yourself busy, your managers are busy and don't enjoy micromanaging interns as part of their day-to-day operations. They will provide the guidance to be productive while allowing you the freedom to be creative!

Advice to Management

On-boarding process (e.g. laptop, NPV, lots of accounts and passwords)