Symantec Intern Program Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #3 Best Engineering Internships

Date: 2013

Fast paced programming opportunity with many opportunities to explore new technology

Learning so many new technologies - and getting paid for it! Making me a better programmer, fluent in more languages. The culture at Symantec is awesome. It's very free, and everyone is happy to be here.

Company-wide reorganization gave me three different managers in the first two months. That left me (and my team) with no clear direction, and doubts about our future. Mostly just intra-office politics.

Don't be afraid to ask the people you work with for help. If you don't, you won't look intelligent floundering around.

Advice to Management

Be in contact with the interns. I only talked with my current manager about 2-3 times over the 12 week period. He's just way too busy, but it would help a lot if he could take the time to talk to his subjects.

Date: 2013

Real life, real people, real experience

Meeting people

Some aspects of a project was not very educational, rather time-consuming.

It is a great place to intern at, and experience is the most valuable thing one can reward oneself with.

Date: 2013

One of the best internships I could have hoped for

Great mentor and boss who was there to help me improve as an engineer and not use me for cheap labour; Very knowledgeable and helpful team; Very interesting work; I learned a ton and became a much better software engineer, it helped me a lot when finding a full time job after school

The pay was fairly bad, especially for Calgary

It all comes down to having a good boss and team, when you interview make sure to ask them lots of questions about the working environment and type of tasks you will be doing. What is most important here is the experience you will gain, and how you will learn and develop as a worker in the industry.

Advice to Management

My only complain was my pay, which was very low. I had internship job offers for over $30, 000 more a year then Symantec was paying me, only reason I took the Symantec job was because of the type of work and my boss.

Good First Internship With Solid Intern Program and Welcoming People

The team: they made a reasonable effort to make me feel like a part of the team. I learned and actively participated in the Agile development process. Solid intern program with many recruiters and events for interns.

My manager and mentor were too busy. I appreciated that my manager would swing by about once a week to check in with me, but it was sometimes hard to find him at other times. Partly my fault, but I probably should have been more assertive in picking out more work to do.

Get to know your manager and team -- a lot of them really care for your well-being and your happiness at the company, even if they may seem very busy. Stay in communication with the recruiters; they're really nice and they put together a lot of events for you. Try to define some more specific goals with your manager,

You’re the best! Around! Nothing’s gonna ever keep you down

people generally interesting work significantly different than anything i had previously experienced super flexible in terms of work hours

not too much training some jobs were less than enjoyable (really nitpicking) had to develop for internet explorer8

know how to code do not worry too much about interactions with people, just be natural

Advice to Management

communicate more than just a simple you are doing well throughout the internship

Date: 2013

Nice people, a bit boring work. Also, a bit too relaxed environment.

People are nice.

Too relaxed. Projects not clearly defined.

Make sure you have a project before you start and have a detailed description of the requirements. Also, meet with your manager weekly, you have to set it up.

Date: 2013

Helping to finance the protection of the world's internet, all while gaining new experience and having a great time

I have learned a lot, have enjoyed getting to know my team, and have had a well-rounded internship experience complete with networking events, community service, and fun events.

There is a lot of down time and I find myself constantly looking for things to do.

Be a self-starter / self-motivator. Much of the time your group will be busy and may not have the time to assign you projects. It is this time where you must challenge yourself to find value-adding projects of your own.

Financial Functionality

Being able to work so close to the higher ups in the finance department was an enlightening experience, especially during the time period of a quarter close.

There were a few monotonous administrative tasks such as putting away office supplies, where I felt my skill set could have best been used elsewhere.

Symantec is the world's largest security company, and the inner workings of such a large company is very enlightening and informative. The rotation program that Symantec offers for new hires is outstanding, as one is able to see where they really fit best before making a full-time commitment

Advice to Management

It would be helpful to gain more advice on how to obtain a full-time position

Learning experience guaranteed

Learning new things and understanding company ethics

Not given much important work or importance or recognition

It is a nice place to do an internship. Be sure that you will be doing meaningful work instead of just warming the bench

Advice to Management

Compensation is good. Would recommend to even provide trasnportation cost. Should give proper training in the first couple of weeks so that the intern is fully qualified to start properly without have self doubts.

Date: 2013

Opportunity to take part in various project from development through execution

-Meeting coworkers/fellow interns -Intern events -Opportunity to take charge of projects -Willingness of colleagues to answer questions and address concerns

Would like more structure in regards to a mentor relationship

To be an intern at Symantec, it is necessary to be independent, flexible, and willing to take on tasks that include information and processes you are not familiar with. But the learning experience through such projects is rewarding.