Symantec Intern Program Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #3 Best Engineering Internships

Date: 2013

Good real life engineering experience at a solid software company.

Getting to work as part of the team, getting duties like a regular employee, and since the people are very helpful I got to learn good practices from them.

That it was not intense enough.

Ask a lot of questions and read the documentation/ white papers/ internal presentations to learn Symantec's technology. From this you'll get to know your role and also what parts of the company you're interested in.

Advice to Management

Give interns one big project to work on on top of their daily assignments to make it feel meaningful/ fulfilling.

Date: 2013

A starter in my career life.

valuable experience; knowledge on the real life work.

Discrepancy as full-time employees at some aspects.

Don't aiming too high level when looking for the internship opportunity.

Advice to Management

There should be some promotion policies and compensation increases to some interns who is doing beyond the expectation/requirement.

Date: 2013

Symantec Internship Provides Experience in Impactful Projects With Balancing Enjoyable Intern Activities

I felt this internship provided me a positive experience in tackling a project which would help the company in the long term. Every step of the way I was provided with help and guidance through the experience. I was provided a buddy to specifically work with me whenever I was struggling. In addition, the close knit group of interns in San Francisco improved my experience.

I felt not being in the main office hindered me from attending some of the activities. However, being in San Francisco, I was still able to ask to attend them and was recieved very well.

For me, I enjoyed the work I was doing as well as the friendly environment I was working in.

You’re the best! Around! Nothing’s gonna ever keep you down

people generally interesting work significantly different than anything i had previously experienced super flexible in terms of work hours

not too much training some jobs were less than enjoyable (really nitpicking) had to develop for internet explorer8

know how to code do not worry too much about interactions with people, just be natural

Advice to Management

communicate more than just a simple you are doing well throughout the internship

Date: 2013

Real life, real people, real experience

Meeting people

Some aspects of a project was not very educational, rather time-consuming.

It is a great place to intern at, and experience is the most valuable thing one can reward oneself with.

Date: 2013

Fast paced programming opportunity with many opportunities to explore new technology

Learning so many new technologies - and getting paid for it! Making me a better programmer, fluent in more languages. The culture at Symantec is awesome. It's very free, and everyone is happy to be here.

Company-wide reorganization gave me three different managers in the first two months. That left me (and my team) with no clear direction, and doubts about our future. Mostly just intra-office politics.

Don't be afraid to ask the people you work with for help. If you don't, you won't look intelligent floundering around.

Advice to Management

Be in contact with the interns. I only talked with my current manager about 2-3 times over the 12 week period. He's just way too busy, but it would help a lot if he could take the time to talk to his subjects.

Benefits in the High Tech Industry

The best aspect was being a small part of an incredible company that is set to thrive in a fascinating industry.

It didn't confirm or deny whether or not this is a career I'd like to pursue.

This is an excellent company going through exciting changes. Try to get an internship here!

Advice to Management

I think that a lot of the work happens via email, phone conference, etc. It might be helpful to have more collaboration in-person.

Good First Internship With Solid Intern Program and Welcoming People

The team: they made a reasonable effort to make me feel like a part of the team. I learned and actively participated in the Agile development process. Solid intern program with many recruiters and events for interns.

My manager and mentor were too busy. I appreciated that my manager would swing by about once a week to check in with me, but it was sometimes hard to find him at other times. Partly my fault, but I probably should have been more assertive in picking out more work to do.

Get to know your manager and team -- a lot of them really care for your well-being and your happiness at the company, even if they may seem very busy. Stay in communication with the recruiters; they're really nice and they put together a lot of events for you. Try to define some more specific goals with your manager,

Good Launching Pad Into a Software Career

lots of resources to use and gain experience with social events were enjoyable

too narrow of a focus, I would have like more diversity in my work lack of training/onboarding at the beginning of my internship

You will gain a lot of experience, but the scope of projects in such a large company is often difficult to grasp.

Advice to Management

My training was akin to being thrown into a pool without learning how to swim. I didn't feel very guided and did know what was to be expected of me for the first few weeks of my internship.

Date: 2013

Great networking opportunities; professional development through working on project was a hit or miss

Meeting a lot of different people and understanding what they do

Lack of focus on professional development

Company is at an interesting stage

Advice to Management

Try to create a more cohesive culture for the interns with the teams they become part of

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)