Symantec Intern Program Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #3 Best Engineering Internships

Date: 2013

Symantec was an amazing experience that let me grow as a professional.

The freedom to make my own schedule, ask anyone for help, learn real world software engineering skills, and being introduced to the higher up people in the company.

The team felt very disconnected and there were people sitting around me that I was never introduced to. The collaborative nature is there, but maybe because I was working on my own project I didn't really get to meet a lot of people.

This is an excellent software engineering internship. You will definitely learn about the current technology and work on products that will be released to into the real world. The commute is sometimes a hassle unless you have a vehicle, but there certainly is public transportation that will take you near the Waltham location.

Advice to Management

Definitely training. I still have no idea what exactly Symantec 4.0 is, yet it was brought up almost all the time. The videos used were outdated and contained the old CEO. They should be updated to the current Symantec standards.

Date: 2013

Challenging, educational, and rewarding internship, but the pay is middle-of-the-road

I worked on a great team. I was trusted with extremely vital projects, and performed the exact same tasks as the full-time engineers.

They pay is good, but not great. Most importantly, there are not very many young people at the company, and not a rich company culture.

Negotiate when you receive your first offer; they will pay you more if you ask

Advice to Management

Symantec is paying interns a bit less than a lot of other companies, and this will drive away the best candidates with a lot of other competitive offers.

Date: 2013

Learned tons about Symantec, security and audit, met fantastic people and had a amazing experience.

The culture and business atmosphere is very optimistic and friendly. The employees are easy to work with and fun. Campus and facilities are pristine. Lots of events and activities for interns.

Expensive cafeteria, not paid enough compared to other similar firms.

Believe in the mission of Symantec and its vision. To protect the worlds information. Be committed to improving the security of all electronic devices.

Date: 2013

Symantec offers great work/life balance.

work/life balance

pay was a little low

Good work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Compensation could be better.

Great Environment, Awesome Experience

The environment was great, I didnt feel like what

I felt like I could do more, it wasnt assumed I could do as much as I could, so my work load was sometimes absurdly light and some of the work felt more like busy work, to take up time so I wasnt sitting around doing nothing. For example, sorting lists, that task requires one button click in Excel and has no learning value for me.

Working at Symantec was great, everyone was very helpful in the event I had an issue and friendly even when I didnt.

Advice to Management

I feel like being a manager of interns is different than being a manager of a typical employee. Managing interns I feel like should be a bit more hands on, my manager was sometimes very hands off and very hard to get in contact with when I needed something and communication wasn't always great. I would ask about getting a new project from my manager, but would get no reply so I would find work from someone else and get an email later from someone my manager spoke to about me without my knowing, so I then had two different assignments to complete that were often in opposite directions.

Date: 2013

Great experience with a great company

Ability to network Great project

Bureaucratic, slow decision making

Work hard and you will be rewarded, especially with the new culture

Advice to Management

Hire interns and full-time prospects for specific positions, not a listing of where they might end up

Date: 2013

Company is truly invested to help interns succeed!

Mentorship from senior-level leaders, supportive team members, open culture

Onboarding process can be streamlined

Consider whether this is the right industry/function for you

Challenging

You get to have the opportunity to do real work as well as learn from qualified professionals.

Getting to do the less challenging manual every day tasks.

Give it your best and keep a positive attitude. Show enthusiasm and desire to work.

Project Manager Intern

Working together as a team

Everything about this internship was fun and exciting

Great Team and everyone is nice and friendly

Date: 2013

Excel On All Task and You Will Be Given More; Never Underestimate the Little Things

Networking, Colleagues, and the opportunity to work on a meaningful project

At times I was unclear about what I should be doing, and how I could provide value to both my team or Symantec as a whole

Stay motivated, stay positive, and be an eager self-starter!

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have a clearer perspective of job prospects moving forward within the company and to have a more clearly defined set of tasks.