Symantec Internship Program

4.3 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 89 Intern Reviews)

A Great Learnign Experience
Mountain View, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Good environment to learn and get a feel for the workplace

Company shutdown was abrupt

A great internship program to consider

Software Backend Development
Mountain View, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Active participation in all discussions.

Great mentorship and guidance.

The working culture was not very flexible. Not enough chances were given to proof potential.

It is a great place to work in terms of learning but the intern program is not very sound and impressive.

Based on your previous employment or plan of study.

Advice to Management

More training events should be included.

Interns and cross team members/Managers should be engaged.

Amazing hands on experience applying school concepts to the working world.
Mountain View, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of this internship was the freedom to complete the project anyway that I deemed fit. There was no pre-ordained process that I had to follow. All of my managers, including the VP's, were extremely nice and helpful whenever I needed help.

The most frustrating aspect of my internship was the delay of response on certain documents. When requesting more information, or documentation, the processing turn around could be lengthy. This could be either a couple of hours, or until I reminded the person that I needed more information. This observation is understandable though. Symantec maintains a high workload and busy employee base. An intern's request is low on the necessities of a globally operating business, and I completely understand.

Work here. If you are looking at this company then you must know what it offers. A fortune 500 company is extremely intriguing to potential employers, and with the addition of a possible paid MBA program through Symantec, the ability to grow with the company is there. I absolutely love the colleagues that I work with, and they seem to be some of the most genuine people I have met. They operate at a high level with high integrity, and welcome everyone to the Symantec family.

I honestly can't remember. I think they really just asked me what interests me in marketing, and I mentioned data mining, automated marketing, and the potential mobile market. From my experience Symantec likes to higher people that they know, and gauge your ability to be a good employee as to how you work with the team.

Advice to Management

Not much to add. I love my internship. Perhaps assigning an intern to two managers would be better than one, in case one or the other is too busy to process the interns request in a specific time frame.

Great team, good company
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with the team in Boston

The compensation, although competitive, was not elite

Very solid company who seems to have a good future ahead

I pushed it to production on my first month of internship.

Autonomy, responsibilty, resources.

All people are not young.

If you want to go into security this is definitely your option.

Happy to work on sprints and participate in Stand ups and release planning.Have been a splendid experience and learned a big deal of things
Mountain View, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

real time coding and good mentoring from management.

Could use some feedback on regular basis so that it will help in improvising.

excellent management on top and good transparent system to see professional growth in company.

Advice to Management

Could be more helpful in case of more communication.

Lots of opportunities to work on real projects
Los Angeles, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great exposure to executives

Company reorganizations meant there was a degree of uncertainty as far as the project that I was going to work on as well as whether I would receive an offer.

The experience that you have will truly depend on what group you end up in. This is a big organization and the various groups will operate differently. Pay close attention to the team you will be joining and its role in the company when deciding on whether to accept an offer.

Advice to Management

It is important that the manager is fully informed about the internship process and has a plan in place to utilize the intern. Feedback is very important for interns as far as how they are performing and whether they are on track to receive an offer.

Nice Experience
Mountain View, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Work-life balance. Nice pay. Good company culture.

No perks beside salary.

Nice work and good people.

Great place to learn practical software skills and work on interesting projects.
Los Angeles, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people were friendly and willing to teach, and the projects were interesting.

The program was not as organized as I thought it would be.

Be ready to learn new material immediately. You will need to learn a lot throughout the internship, so don't be afraid to ask your mentor if you are stuck.

Write a function that takes as input the time (hours and minutes) and outputs the angle between the minute and hour hands.

Hands on Learning Experience Helps Me with Future Career
Mountain View, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The University Relations Program was very organized and well run. I liked the intern showcase and being able to meet other interns outside of Finance.

Working overtime

The company is in transition with an interim CEO, but the managers I met were all so passionate about their jobs.