Symantec Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #3 Best Engineering Internships

Blossoming program manager
Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great culture, people, and location

Not enough work all the time

Be yourself. Don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for help.

Overall a great experience in which I learned a lot about MSS and incident handling. Great environment to work in.
Herndon, VA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

-The people

-Team building events

-Learning the system/workflow

-Being able to positively contribute to the team

-Not allowed to get completely hands on like full-time analysts

If you have an interest in incident detection / analysis this is a great place to start. You have great visibility into the system and how it works and get to see real-world attacks of all kinds on a daily basis. Corporate culture is much more relaxed and trusting than I thought it would be. You will work with a small/medium sized team and get to know everyone well.

Advice to Management

No issues with hours or compensation or anything like that. There is a bit of a steep learning curve when you are first hired and it seems a bit overwhelming at first. I found hands-on and mentor training to be the most valuable to getting up to speed.

Innovation
Mountain View, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Get a peep at the real business world and get to social with the people

We don't want pizza for lunch!!!!!!!!!!

Get prepared with your skill sets and really contribut to the position you are in. Don't just takt is as a summer camp and participate every unnecassary events.

Advice to Management

At the end of the intern program, it's good to have every intern to introduce their job and accomplishment to the other interns. Becaus some people may find that what they really want to/apt to do is another position.

Interned at a very difficult yet pivotal time for the company, such a rare opportunity to contribute to the company's transformation
Mountain View, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The hands-on learning opportunities they provided from attending meetings, facilitating meetings, to presenting at a worldwide conference.

First intern to start in my department on a newly formed team. I and the others established the structure for interns in the future.

take the initiative to keep yourself busy, your managers are busy and don't enjoy micromanaging interns as part of their day-to-day operations. They will provide the guidance to be productive while allowing you the freedom to be creative!

Advice to Management

On-boarding process (e.g. laptop, NPV, lots of accounts and passwords)

A good place to learn good software practice and real-world solutions to common software challenges!
Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

-Ability to learn from experienced engineers

-Ability to improve coding skills

-Opportunity to communicate with people from different technical backgrounds

Having a well-defined project from the start would be better.

Your internship experience can only be great if you take initiative and make the most out of it.

Excel On All Task and You Will Be Given More; Never Underestimate the Little Things
Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Networking, Colleagues, and the opportunity to work on a meaningful project

At times I was unclear about what I should be doing, and how I could provide value to both my team or Symantec as a whole

Stay motivated, stay positive, and be an eager self-starter!

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have a clearer perspective of job prospects moving forward within the company and to have a more clearly defined set of tasks.

Challenging, educational, and rewarding internship, but the pay is middle-of-the-road
Mountain View, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I worked on a great team. I was trusted with extremely vital projects, and performed the exact same tasks as the full-time engineers.

They pay is good, but not great. Most importantly, there are not very many young people at the company, and not a rich company culture.

Negotiate when you receive your first offer; they will pay you more if you ask

Advice to Management

Symantec is paying interns a bit less than a lot of other companies, and this will drive away the best candidates with a lot of other competitive offers.

Symantec Intern Gets Great Internship Experience in Roseville Minnesota

- Learned a lot

- Not a lot of training

- Stuck on Perl 5.8 and 5.10

- Know how to code

Advice to Management

- Add squat rack to weight room and fix leg curl machine

- More detailed feedback

Symantec was an amazing experience that let me grow as a professional.
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The freedom to make my own schedule, ask anyone for help, learn real world software engineering skills, and being introduced to the higher up people in the company.

The team felt very disconnected and there were people sitting around me that I was never introduced to. The collaborative nature is there, but maybe because I was working on my own project I didn't really get to meet a lot of people.

This is an excellent software engineering internship. You will definitely learn about the current technology and work on products that will be released to into the real world. The commute is sometimes a hassle unless you have a vehicle, but there certainly is public transportation that will take you near the Waltham location.

Advice to Management

Definitely training. I still have no idea what exactly Symantec 4.0 is, yet it was brought up almost all the time. The videos used were outdated and contained the old CEO. They should be updated to the current Symantec standards.

A summer spent learning and having fun.
Minneapolis, MN | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The pay is excellent, and the people are even better. A real sense of community here.

I honestly can't state any cons at all about the internship.

Expect to be apart of something bigger than you originally anticipated and prepare to have fun and to gain a TON of experience while doing so.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)