Symantec Intern Program Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #3 Best Engineering Internships

Blossoming program manager

Great culture, people, and location

Not enough work all the time

Be yourself. Don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for help.

Date: 2013

Overall a great experience in which I learned a lot about MSS and incident handling. Great environment to work in.

-The people -Team building events -Learning the system/workflow -Being able to positively contribute to the team

-Not allowed to get completely hands on like full-time analysts

If you have an interest in incident detection / analysis this is a great place to start. You have great visibility into the system and how it works and get to see real-world attacks of all kinds on a daily basis. Corporate culture is much more relaxed and trusting than I thought it would be. You will work with a small/medium sized team and get to know everyone well.

Advice to Management

No issues with hours or compensation or anything like that. There is a bit of a steep learning curve when you are first hired and it seems a bit overwhelming at first. I found hands-on and mentor training to be the most valuable to getting up to speed.

Date: 2013

Interned at a very difficult yet pivotal time for the company, such a rare opportunity to contribute to the company's transformation

The hands-on learning opportunities they provided from attending meetings, facilitating meetings, to presenting at a worldwide conference.

First intern to start in my department on a newly formed team. I and the others established the structure for interns in the future.

take the initiative to keep yourself busy, your managers are busy and don't enjoy micromanaging interns as part of their day-to-day operations. They will provide the guidance to be productive while allowing you the freedom to be creative!

Advice to Management

On-boarding process (e.g. laptop, NPV, lots of accounts and passwords)

Innovation

Get a peep at the real business world and get to social with the people

We don't want pizza for lunch!!!!!!!!!!

Get prepared with your skill sets and really contribut to the position you are in. Don't just takt is as a summer camp and participate every unnecassary events.

Advice to Management

At the end of the intern program, it's good to have every intern to introduce their job and accomplishment to the other interns. Becaus some people may find that what they really want to/apt to do is another position.

Date: 2013

A good place to learn good software practice and real-world solutions to common software challenges!

-Ability to learn from experienced engineers -Ability to improve coding skills -Opportunity to communicate with people from different technical backgrounds

Having a well-defined project from the start would be better.

Your internship experience can only be great if you take initiative and make the most out of it.

Date: 2013

Slow start, but great finish. Loved the experience, want to do it again

Ended strong, felt like part of a real time in the end

The first half, i kept switching managers, never having a solid project to work on

Apply early! Stand out and be flexible, this is a great company

Great Environment, Awesome Experience

The environment was great, I didnt feel like what

I felt like I could do more, it wasnt assumed I could do as much as I could, so my work load was sometimes absurdly light and some of the work felt more like busy work, to take up time so I wasnt sitting around doing nothing. For example, sorting lists, that task requires one button click in Excel and has no learning value for me.

Working at Symantec was great, everyone was very helpful in the event I had an issue and friendly even when I didnt.

Advice to Management

I feel like being a manager of interns is different than being a manager of a typical employee. Managing interns I feel like should be a bit more hands on, my manager was sometimes very hands off and very hard to get in contact with when I needed something and communication wasn't always great. I would ask about getting a new project from my manager, but would get no reply so I would find work from someone else and get an email later from someone my manager spoke to about me without my knowing, so I then had two different assignments to complete that were often in opposite directions.

Excellent Summer Intern program at Symantec

Various opportunities to learn Excellent team coordination and interaction HR people willing to help and interact nicely Manager/Mentor ready to listen and understand things

Lack of technical and informative documents for internal purpose Lack of standard coding work Less work burden on Interns

If interested, ask for work, don't wait Try to be as much interactive with team as possible

Advice to Management

I am not aware too much about policies but yeah I would say I will love to work here any time. The only fact that can hinder this is the less work pays as compared to the same tier companies in the market.

Date: 2013

Symantec offers great work/life balance.

work/life balance

pay was a little low

Good work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Compensation could be better.

Date: 2013

Learned tons about Symantec, security and audit, met fantastic people and had a amazing experience.

The culture and business atmosphere is very optimistic and friendly. The employees are easy to work with and fun. Campus and facilities are pristine. Lots of events and activities for interns.

Expensive cafeteria, not paid enough compared to other similar firms.

Believe in the mission of Symantec and its vision. To protect the worlds information. Be committed to improving the security of all electronic devices.