HP Intern Program - Americas

VAULT RANKINGS >> #35 Best Overall Internships

4.4 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 772 Intern Reviews)

Not what you thought Release Engineering was.
Worcester, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working directly with engineers as just another (albeit, entry-level) engineer.

Projects sometimes were initially broadly given such that it was difficult to get started.

HP honestly doesn't really pay well compared to other companies of similar size and prestige. The reason to work there is the environment.

HP doesn't grill its interns. They simply ask you for your education, experience, and skillset. They take you at your word for internships mostly.

Advice to Management

More compensation, other big companies pay more than $10 more per hr.

Well guided Learning Experience
Seattle, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Opportunity to work and explore an independent project

The onboarding process

I would happily encourage any one to take up the internship with HP. Expect to work on individual projects. Be confident on your skills

1. Explain about the observer pattern. ( the question asked was not straight. He provided me with a scenario which basically deals with subscriptions)

Advice to Management

Please make the onboarding and background check procedures fast.

Amazing opportunity to learn in a real world setting!
San Diego, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The project you work on matters to HP and is applicable to their everyday business. The people and the environment were very welcoming and relaxed.

I would have appreciated a little more guidance from my manager in the beginning of my internship.

From my experience, HP would be a wonderful company to work for. The people are great, from top-line managers to fellow employees. HP makes sure that every employee knows they matter.

Taking the role of a customer and providing demonstrations of my experience
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everyone here is extremely glad to help out. There is a large team feeling here

Some of the work was extremely easy and brainless, but when I asked for a more complex project it seemed overwhelming

Asa first internship I had no idea what to expect. But this work environment is something I can get used to

(I was the head lead of a team creating an autonomous robot for my school's competition)

-What do you do as the head lead?

-How are you planning to test your robot

-Next time what would you do better?

Advice to Management

More mentoring for the interns

HP is a great company to intern for and they do their best to help you succeed.
Sacramento, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to take a project as my own and design/implement it as I saw best fit.

It can be difficult to find others who know about what you are working on.

Communicate with your manager your desires instantly after being hired. If you want to work through the school year: tell them. If you want to work after your graduate: MAKE SURE THEY KNOW.

HP internship is a both an enriching and degrading experience.
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was provided many opportunities to learn new technologies and learn professional skills.

People are degrading. While not all permanent employees display such crude nature, you are openly told that you are not important enough, ignored, and encouraged not to ask questions.

Permanent employees think they are better than you from the get go.

What sort of projects have you worked on in the past?

Advice to Management

Stop hiring ****, degrading people.

Came in with an open mind, came out with a bigger mind
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everyones positive attitude around the office and willingness to help eachother

Working in what feels like an old/antiquated building

Ask a lot of questions, never sit there wondering what you should or need to do. Sitting on one problem and not asking for help is not the way to go.

"Tell me about inheritance in an object oriented language" , "Tell me about a time when you had to make a hard decision that did not please everyone that it affected"

Advice to Management

Make getting 3par and HP accounts set up a lot easier, maybe get rid of cubicles?

political
San Diego, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexible, engaging, nice people

Stressful, politilcal, old atmosphere

Definitely a great place to have a first internship, with just the brand name of the company itself. Full-time is up to each person's individual preference.

Learning what you will actually be doing with your computer science degree.
Boise, ID | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I got to apply what I have learned in a way that made me responsible for what I create (more so than when you are just working on a project for a grade). I've picked up two languages and a new design pattern. My project wasn't just something to entertain an intern, but is something that will actually be used. I got to be responsible for every aspect of it, and learned the process of software engineering from the infancy (project description) stage, all the way to testing.

I learned a lot in twelve weeks, and had a great time. My mentor was fantastic at knowing how to teach. When I was wide-eyed terrified he offered help and guidance; when I (thought I) knew what I was doing, he would let me go off on my own and get things done. The rest of the team was amazingly supportive and eager to help when I had a specific question in an area they were known to excel in, going as far as to take time out of a really busy day to sit and work through a problem or bug.

This is minor, but I think a little more help finding short term housing would be a good idea. I ended up having to search on Craigslist, which is a bit scary.

Calm down (don't be nervous). Everyone knows that you are here to learn, and the only wrong thing to do here is to NOT ask questions. Don't understand your project description immediately? Ask questions. Your mentor and fellow team members are amazing resources of knowledge.

Get involved! Seriously. Go to lunch with the group of interns that go out once a week. Go out on the weekend trips and the crazy adventures. Spend off hours times with the people on your team, and got o lunch with them. Join a club or two (volleyball is amazing). Get to know your mentor. Go to the newbie lunch on Wednesdays to meet other employees. Seriously, this internship can be AMAZING, but only if you let it.

Learning
Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to discuss things with my Mentor and receiving that sort of guidance.

A few intern events seemed a bit pointless

Helpful coworkers and adaptive experience

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)