Great Colleagues, Fantastic Fit for My Schedule, Significantly Better Benefits Vs. Working for School
Boise, ID | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Able to work less hours on more meaningful work and make more money than working for school as a graduate research assistant. Provides much more time to complete thesis work.

It's worth the hassle of finding a position, applying, and then dealing with the corporate entry stuffs.

Advice to Management

I'll cut and paste my "cons" comments here: "Finding the internship and the online application process/interface is not user friendly. There is a big disconnect as a new hire between the valuable work you can start on with your team and the corporate level training you have to complete. It took two months to get payroll sorted out primarily because it's based in Mexico and no one on site can field HR related issues."

A lot of learnings
Houston, TX | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Mentorship, Interaction with senior managers and a lot of new learning experience.

Finance team gets lots of attention.

A great company to work for and lots of opportunity for growth

Advice to Management

May be compensation

Rigorous system research: where theory can be applied to practice
Palo Alto, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

learning new stuffs, working together in the team

heavy commute overload

Good employer with open and friendly environment

HP offers a great internship experience.
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The scope of the internship work was well defined. The support from the project mentor and supporting staff is excellent. The internship program itself does a good job of creating a supporting atmosphere for all interns, especially those who are not from the local region.

Under the short amount of time for the poject, it is difficult to take advantage of the training sessions that are offered.

There are many internship survey's, ratings and other tasks that you are encouraged to take that are distracting from the intended work.

Be sure to have a well defined project and investigate the amount of time and scope of training\ as the project is defined. Waiting to learn how do accomplish tasks while the official project comes together can greatly increase your efficency.

An opportunity to grow.
Denver, CO | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The flexible hours and the challenging work assignments.

There was nothing I didn't like about the internship.

I can not think of anything at the moment.

Advice to Management

Have more training for new hires that goes over the basics of the company as well as there organization and how they fit into things, it would also help to know all the lingo the company uses.

So Much To Learn, So Little Time
Austin, TX | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being exposed to and working with various technologies

Assignments were not meaningful, felt like I did not contribute to anything

Make sure your potential manager has an idea of what he or she wants you to do

Advice to Management

Make sure you have an idea of what you want the intern to do

An opportunity to gain exposure in the corporate workforce and learn the dynamics of the corporate culture
Sacramento, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The experience in a Fortune 500 company working with people globally

There is some downtime and you may feel pressured to find more to do on your own.

Develop your soft skills. Be cognizant of your environment and watch how others act. Learn appropriate business etiquette and apply it.

Advice to Management

More focus on the interns and the work they are doing.

My internship provided a lot of growth and a realistic look at what the engineering world is like.
Vancouver | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The assignment and being able to get advice and insight from my mentors and other engineers.

The peer pressure to participate in the non-work related intern activities. I came to HP to work and have a very busy life outside of HP. I find it counter intuitive and a more than a little frustrating that there was a constant pressure to ditch work for intern activities that would not help me grow as an engineer. HP is supposed to be flexible and understanding of their engineers lives because that is how you get the best people. Not by pressuring them into things that they are either not interested in or do not have time for. If someone wants to work, let them work.

In my internship, the engineers treated me as an equal which provided the structure for accelerated growth and valuable experience as to what it is like to be an actual engineer.

Advice to Management

I really like HP thus far as a company.

Good experience! Good formation! Good ambiance! Good communication! Good organisation! Nothing bad but good!
Montreal | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Quality of life and Career Development

compensation and interview process

Flexibility hours, helpful mentor, good learning area and also, good team spirit.

Advice to Management

Interns should have a raise in their paycheck as they are gaining more and more experience at work and at school. (Apply only to interns who work long term before become an employee)

Beneficial lessons of "Real World Business" and great pay.
Houston, TX | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everyone here is very friendly and willing to help you grow, learn, and actually benefit from the experience. HP also has a great intership program that organizes social events, and executive panel discussions, for fun, networking, and an opportunity to receive great advice from executive management.

I had a little too much down-time.

HP Houston is a very friendly place and I highly recommend working there! However, if you do not already have living arrangements close by such as family you could stay with, apartments around here are a little pricy.