Intern at HP Intern Program - Americas? Submit a Review

Not what you thought Release Engineering was.

Worcester, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working directly with engineers as just another (albeit, entry-level) engineer.

Projects sometimes were initially broadly given such that it was difficult to get started.

HP honestly doesn't really pay well compared to other companies of similar size and prestige. The reason to work there is the environment.

HP doesn't grill its interns. They simply ask you for your education, experience, and skillset. They take you at your word for internships mostly.

Advice to Management

More compensation, other big companies pay more than $10 more per hr.

Well guided Learning Experience

Seattle, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Opportunity to work and explore an independent project

The onboarding process

I would happily encourage any one to take up the internship with HP. Expect to work on individual projects. Be confident on your skills

1. Explain about the observer pattern. ( the question asked was not straight. He provided me with a scenario which basically deals with subscriptions)

Advice to Management

Please make the onboarding and background check procedures fast.

Amazing opportunity to learn in a real world setting!

San Diego, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The project you work on matters to HP and is applicable to their everyday business. The people and the environment were very welcoming and relaxed.

I would have appreciated a little more guidance from my manager in the beginning of my internship.

From my experience, HP would be a wonderful company to work for. The people are great, from top-line managers to fellow employees. HP makes sure that every employee knows they matter.

A taste of the SoCal life

San Diego, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great manager, great company culture, location, the people

Lack of intern events/gatherings

I can't vouch for the whole organization, only the San Diego location, but it has been by far the absolute best place to work.

Tell me about your releveant classes/coursework

Tell me about previous internship expierence

Advice to Management

Help better with relocation for people from out of state

Learning what you will actually be doing with your computer science degree.

Boise, ID | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I got to apply what I have learned in a way that made me responsible for what I create (more so than when you are just working on a project for a grade). I've picked up two languages and a new design pattern. My project wasn't just something to entertain an intern, but is something that will actually be used. I got to be responsible for every aspect of it, and learned the process of software engineering from the infancy (project description) stage, all the way to testing.

I learned a lot in twelve weeks, and had a great time. My mentor was fantastic at knowing how to teach. When I was wide-eyed terrified he offered help and guidance; when I (thought I) knew what I was doing, he would let me go off on my own and get things done. The rest of the team was amazingly supportive and eager to help when I had a specific question in an area they were known to excel in, going as far as to take time out of a really busy day to sit and work through a problem or bug.

This is minor, but I think a little more help finding short term housing would be a good idea. I ended up having to search on Craigslist, which is a bit scary.

Calm down (don't be nervous). Everyone knows that you are here to learn, and the only wrong thing to do here is to NOT ask questions. Don't understand your project description immediately? Ask questions. Your mentor and fellow team members are amazing resources of knowledge.

Get involved! Seriously. Go to lunch with the group of interns that go out once a week. Go out on the weekend trips and the crazy adventures. Spend off hours times with the people on your team, and got o lunch with them. Join a club or two (volleyball is amazing). Get to know your mentor. Go to the newbie lunch on Wednesdays to meet other employees. Seriously, this internship can be AMAZING, but only if you let it.

The best co-op job I've ever had

Other (International) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being given responsibility for projects. Being challenged. Having flexibility with projects and working hours. Being able to work from home on occasion. Networking.

Day-to-day work that could better be done by a permanent employee.

HP will open doors for you. You can make as much of your internship as you like.

HP internship is a both an enriching and degrading experience.

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was provided many opportunities to learn new technologies and learn professional skills.

People are degrading. While not all permanent employees display such crude nature, you are openly told that you are not important enough, ignored, and encouraged not to ask questions.

Permanent employees think they are better than you from the get go.

What sort of projects have you worked on in the past?

Advice to Management

Stop hiring ****, degrading people.

political

Flexible, engaging, nice people

Stressful, politilcal, old atmosphere

Definitely a great place to have a first internship, with just the brand name of the company itself. Full-time is up to each person's individual preference.

Much Wanted Experience

Lansing, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best part of my internship is that I got to and get to create custom software to help everyone and increase productivity, I also enjoyed getting the chance to lead some meetings to demonstrate my software to my bosses.

I liked everything a lot with my internship but what I least liked is testing, because of the monotony, but I was warned in the interview that it would be so I can't complain to much about that.

Work hard and don't be afraid to ask your bosses for more work if you really are there to gain experience.

Part of the HP Team

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working directly on a real software project with experienced engineers. Intern and employee events. Flexible hours. Good pay. Was able to take time off when needed. A positive culture and very friendly people.

I was not assigned a specific mentor, although most HP interns are. Some disorganization within my team about what I should be doing and who should be helping me.

I would recommend this company to anyone. I enjoyed my time here and it seems like a great place to begin a career in technology.

Have you ever worked on a team project and what was your experience (if positive, why was it positive? If negative, why and what did you do about it?)?