Intern at HP Intern Program - Americas? Submit a Review

*some process* Automation

Sacramento, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Exposure to real tech world problems. Access to powerful machines and intelligent minds. Opportunity to hone technical knowledge and skills and to progress into a career. Pay is also very good.

Lack of structure in the overall internship program. I feel like I missed the boat on information on participation and inclusion in the internship program because my school gets out a month later. Generally, the work ethic of the organization lacks energy. Parts of Roseville are pretty dumpy.

Work hard and don't let the generally slow pace of the company slow you down. Other places are more exciting and quick-paced, and you can do that on your own at this company.

"How comfortable are you with applying math in a very practical way?"

Advice to Management

More intern events, even if it's just pizza or groups lunches. I went weeks without interacting with other interns.

Fix it with Excel

Boise, ID | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I loved the flexible work schedule. You could go in whenever you wanted and could even work from home (if you went into the office at least some time during the day). Also there were a lot of activities for the interns throughout our time here and they were very welcoming and nice to work with.

Also loved the co-workers. They were very amiable and understanding.

A lot of the tasks require people to get back to you and the project comes to a standstill.

Not really that organized. There were no clear deadlines, purposes of employment etc. Kind of was just thrown in and given a couple tasks without much background information.

Make sure your hiring paperwork is done way ahead of time. There was some snags with my hiring process that delayed my start date by a week.

Be prepared to work by yourself without supervision.

Are you able to sort through and make sense of large data sets?

How would you grade yourself on your Excel proficiency?

What proof is there of how proficient you are in Excel?

Do you know how to do a vlookup and a pivot table?

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have a clear outline of what is expected of the interns during the time of their employment.

Have lots of backup projects ready just in case the interns get done with their projects sooner than expected.

A mix of boring days and very focused work. Everything happened all at once or not at all.

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting new people and finally understanding a lot of the technical jargon around me. I also had flexible working hours and was able to work from home when necessary.

A lot of people don't talk face-to-face all day. It's a lot of sitting alone in a cubicle, staring at a computer.

Ask as many questions as you can. There's so much to learn and people are always willing to help you if you just ask.

I was a re-hire from last year, I did not interview for this position this summer.

Advice to Management

There's not enough engagement with interns that are one of the only interns in their site. Partner with YEN or other local intern groups. I felt lost a lot because people would assume I was a full-time hire and my position would require me to ask a lot of other people to do things for me, so I often felt off, like I was pretending to belong here but never really did.

Meaningful work with great people

Sacramento, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meaningful work, pay, location, people, events

lack of networking

The people here are great but sometimes as an intern you aren't given sustainable projects. A lot of sitting around for a while

give examples of team work, your strongest qualities, weakest qualities, hardest situation and how you overcame it

Advice to Management

rank interns, pipeline jobs, network, weekly reviews

An excellant start to a growing career

Toronto | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Work life balance and good opportunities for professional development

Not as much support from HR as I would like, they appear to have a very constrained budget in supporting co-ops.

Follow your passion and interest, don't let the media influence your opinions on employment. HP is that bad compared to what is portrayed in the news

No case questions were provided. But, be prepared to know your resume and other credentials inside and out as they well comment on that.

Advice to Management

Encourage HR to have a more active role with the co-ops. Offer even more opportunities for training and growth as well as supporting the growth of the new grad programs

Boise summer camp

Boise, ID | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Very casual and flexible work environment, company clearly places high importance on work-life balance, community involvement, and similar factors.

Compensation & benefits were below comparable companies, internship program was heavily aimed at undergrads (see advice to management).

Felt like the company expected interns to convert to full-time hires, but did not seem to make strong effort to recruit or convince interns to come back.

Don't remember - only one interview, and it was a month with no contact before the made a hiring decision.

Advice to Management

Not having separate undergrad and graduate internship programs (at least in Boise) meant that for all intern activities, there were 2-3 other grad students and several dozen undergrads (and even some high school students!). Consequently, I found a lot of the activities, mentorship, etc underwhelming as they was geared heavily towards undergrads and were often not applicable to my situation as an MBA. Probably as a result, it felt more like a summer job than what I had expected of an MBA internship at this type of company -- despite receiving an offer, I never really felt like the company was trying to "woo" me or make a strong showing to convince me (or any other interns, although this may also be due to differing expectations of undergrads vs MBAs) to come back full-time after graduation.

very steep learning curve

Other (International) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

High level of responsibility, very diverse projects

Heavy workload

Almost unlimited opportunities

Nice city&wheather, much exposure to real business and flexible working style

San Diego, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

It is always good to work in a well know company since the organization is already established and you do not need to worry for anything that you can easily face in a start up company. The working hours are very flexible and I did not work for long hours in any time during my internship. To be honest, I learnt a lot in my project and found my chances to apply theory that I learnt in my MBA classes.

The content of my project was not defined clearly. That means that it changed some as the time passed. I did not feel that I received the support of the team very much during my project since the team was still in start up mode. In addition, no mentor assigned to me, so I could not discuss my career goals and get feedback in proper way.

HP is a good place to have internship to gain some experience about business. The department I was in was very good and was acting like a start up. They were good in their job. HP is a really big company, therefore suggest them to search the department they want to work in details, reach some people inside to understand the culture and business they play in.

Do you like working alone or team work? Do you want your manager to give you detailed job description? With these numeric information I share with you, do you think our business is profitable or not?

Advice to Management

The orientation program was disorganized. I think this is due to delegating some employees to manage the program instead of having HR people on the job. I did not feel that I got any benefit from the program. This may be due to my higher expectations about it, or I saw much better ones both in my professional and academic life. I advise them to revise the program, make it more structured, and more engaging.

Great working environment but less intern activities

Palo Alto, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexibility of working

Intern project fair and presentation

Learn some programming skills but not in a systematic manner

The intern activities are kind of boring.

Not much guidance receiving from this internship, almost working alone on the project.

If you can do independent research and enjoy the freedom of research, then it is a good place. If you enjoy teamwork and want guidance, then this place may a little bit disappoint you.

Fast paced learning experience! A good amount of skills learned

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

- Had many resources if I ran into any problem or needed programming suggestions

- Friendly Co-workers

- Enjoyed the project for the most part

- Learned a lot about databases that I had no experience with prior

- The overall organization of the internship.

- I felt like I was being treated like a child at Intern Events

- Not much training on areas of the project I worked on, so needed to work extra hard to understand while producing something in the time given.

Make sure that you understand the project that you will be given prior to accepting the internship. They expect you to have a working product, which is great, but you may not be adequate in producing a complete project.

Advice to Management

Organization of the overall experience would be better. I did not feel like we were trained properly and because of that we were not able to produce a product that they expected. I would suggest that even interns get a small training for anything involved in the project.