HP Intern Program - Americas

VAULT RANKINGS >> #35 Best Overall Internships

4.4 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 772 Intern Reviews)

An excellant start to a growing career
Toronto | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Work life balance and good opportunities for professional development

Not as much support from HR as I would like, they appear to have a very constrained budget in supporting co-ops.

Follow your passion and interest, don't let the media influence your opinions on employment. HP is that bad compared to what is portrayed in the news

No case questions were provided. But, be prepared to know your resume and other credentials inside and out as they well comment on that.

Advice to Management

Encourage HR to have a more active role with the co-ops. Offer even more opportunities for training and growth as well as supporting the growth of the new grad programs

Fix it with Excel
Boise, ID | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I loved the flexible work schedule. You could go in whenever you wanted and could even work from home (if you went into the office at least some time during the day). Also there were a lot of activities for the interns throughout our time here and they were very welcoming and nice to work with.

Also loved the co-workers. They were very amiable and understanding.

A lot of the tasks require people to get back to you and the project comes to a standstill.

Not really that organized. There were no clear deadlines, purposes of employment etc. Kind of was just thrown in and given a couple tasks without much background information.

Make sure your hiring paperwork is done way ahead of time. There was some snags with my hiring process that delayed my start date by a week.

Be prepared to work by yourself without supervision.

Are you able to sort through and make sense of large data sets?

How would you grade yourself on your Excel proficiency?

What proof is there of how proficient you are in Excel?

Do you know how to do a vlookup and a pivot table?

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have a clear outline of what is expected of the interns during the time of their employment.

Have lots of backup projects ready just in case the interns get done with their projects sooner than expected.

*some process* Automation
Sacramento, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Exposure to real tech world problems. Access to powerful machines and intelligent minds. Opportunity to hone technical knowledge and skills and to progress into a career. Pay is also very good.

Lack of structure in the overall internship program. I feel like I missed the boat on information on participation and inclusion in the internship program because my school gets out a month later. Generally, the work ethic of the organization lacks energy. Parts of Roseville are pretty dumpy.

Work hard and don't let the generally slow pace of the company slow you down. Other places are more exciting and quick-paced, and you can do that on your own at this company.

"How comfortable are you with applying math in a very practical way?"

Advice to Management

More intern events, even if it's just pizza or groups lunches. I went weeks without interacting with other interns.

Boise summer camp
Boise, ID | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Very casual and flexible work environment, company clearly places high importance on work-life balance, community involvement, and similar factors.

Compensation & benefits were below comparable companies, internship program was heavily aimed at undergrads (see advice to management).

Felt like the company expected interns to convert to full-time hires, but did not seem to make strong effort to recruit or convince interns to come back.

Don't remember - only one interview, and it was a month with no contact before the made a hiring decision.

Advice to Management

Not having separate undergrad and graduate internship programs (at least in Boise) meant that for all intern activities, there were 2-3 other grad students and several dozen undergrads (and even some high school students!). Consequently, I found a lot of the activities, mentorship, etc underwhelming as they was geared heavily towards undergrads and were often not applicable to my situation as an MBA. Probably as a result, it felt more like a summer job than what I had expected of an MBA internship at this type of company -- despite receiving an offer, I never really felt like the company was trying to "woo" me or make a strong showing to convince me (or any other interns, although this may also be due to differing expectations of undergrads vs MBAs) to come back full-time after graduation.

A mix of boring days and very focused work. Everything happened all at once or not at all.
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting new people and finally understanding a lot of the technical jargon around me. I also had flexible working hours and was able to work from home when necessary.

A lot of people don't talk face-to-face all day. It's a lot of sitting alone in a cubicle, staring at a computer.

Ask as many questions as you can. There's so much to learn and people are always willing to help you if you just ask.

I was a re-hire from last year, I did not interview for this position this summer.

Advice to Management

There's not enough engagement with interns that are one of the only interns in their site. Partner with YEN or other local intern groups. I felt lost a lot because people would assume I was a full-time hire and my position would require me to ask a lot of other people to do things for me, so I often felt off, like I was pretending to belong here but never really did.

Meaningful work with great people
Sacramento, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meaningful work, pay, location, people, events

lack of networking

The people here are great but sometimes as an intern you aren't given sustainable projects. A lot of sitting around for a while

give examples of team work, your strongest qualities, weakest qualities, hardest situation and how you overcame it

Advice to Management

rank interns, pipeline jobs, network, weekly reviews

very steep learning curve
Other (International) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

High level of responsibility, very diverse projects

Heavy workload

Almost unlimited opportunities

Nice city&wheather, much exposure to real business and flexible working style
San Diego, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

It is always good to work in a well know company since the organization is already established and you do not need to worry for anything that you can easily face in a start up company. The working hours are very flexible and I did not work for long hours in any time during my internship. To be honest, I learnt a lot in my project and found my chances to apply theory that I learnt in my MBA classes.

The content of my project was not defined clearly. That means that it changed some as the time passed. I did not feel that I received the support of the team very much during my project since the team was still in start up mode. In addition, no mentor assigned to me, so I could not discuss my career goals and get feedback in proper way.

HP is a good place to have internship to gain some experience about business. The department I was in was very good and was acting like a start up. They were good in their job. HP is a really big company, therefore suggest them to search the department they want to work in details, reach some people inside to understand the culture and business they play in.

Do you like working alone or team work? Do you want your manager to give you detailed job description? With these numeric information I share with you, do you think our business is profitable or not?

Advice to Management

The orientation program was disorganized. I think this is due to delegating some employees to manage the program instead of having HR people on the job. I did not feel that I got any benefit from the program. This may be due to my higher expectations about it, or I saw much better ones both in my professional and academic life. I advise them to revise the program, make it more structured, and more engaging.

A good opportunity to master networking
Montreal | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

- Access to information is centralized which makes it helpful for me to learn more networking fields

- Some tasks become annoying

- Try to learn as much as you can on your field, by practicing

Intern Created Database to Increase Understanding of Small Business Use
Herndon, VA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was able to create something of my own. I wasn't told to shadow somebody or do a bunch of busy work.

Not having a great understand of the subject matter I was trying to work in made the technical aspects harder.

Work Hard. Ask questions. Achieve, don't do.

What's your major?

Do you have experience with [this software]?

Do you think you could do [this]?