HP Intern Program - Americas

VAULT RANKINGS >> #35 Best Overall Internships

4.4 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 772 Intern Reviews)

A unique learning experience in a mutlinational company while finishing my college studies.
Mexico City | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

You can from the professional life while you integrate the theory you are learning at college.

It's sometimes frustrating not knowing if you are going to be hired as a full time employee when your internship is going to end or not.

Hp sees your education as a priority so you can always count with their flexibility and support with school matters.

┬┐Why should Hp hire you?

Advice to Management

The compensation for the interns is not as competitive as other big companies, the interns retention is too low and the trainings and integration to the company is still not very clear.

Well compensated and Technically challenging
Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect was the quality of technical work. I was working on systems that are next generation, and will not see deployment for at least 2 years. I had the opportunity to work in a cutting edge field relevant to my area of study.

The intern programs were awful. There was little to no way to meet other interns either in or out of work hours. No camaraderie. Despite offering to host multiple events, intern events would not help me find a way to get the word out, and expressly forbade me from using anything other than word of mouth.

Hard to beat for pay and content. Would not be somewhere I would want to work long term. Even the other employees make remarks about the quality of products, and no one likes what the company does.

I honestly don't remember. I had a single phone interview and it was 3-4 months ago.

Advice to Management

Stop letting marketing run an engineering company. Tech companies are essentially resource development entities, where their resource is their engineers. This requires putting the engineers first, and the rest of the staff supporting them and the technologies they develop, not demanding engineers do things xyz. This is a horrible place to be an engineer.

Good resume builder and good experience working in a corporate environment.
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work environment is nice, and some of the people we work with are extremely smart.

My team members' schedule have them stretched very thin, and they have no available time to teach, instruct, or mentor me. I have found that there are no open full-time positions to apply for, in fact my division is undergoing drastic cost reduction initiatives and massive contraction as a whole, rather than expansion.

HP is a viable option to consider for an Internship, but realize that it is mostly useful as a resume builder. An intern here can expect to gain valuable workplace experience, but cannot expect to move into a full-time role at the completion of their internship.

Advice to Management

Offer some incentive to the senior team members to work with and mentor the interns. I see many brilliant engineers that are close to retiring, and the quality and caliber of work produced by HP is going to take a massive hit when their careers come to an end. If they would place more emphasis on cultivation of bright young people, they may have a better chance of replacing the retirees with competent, worthy personnel.

Boredom, belittlement, waste of a summer.
Houston, TX | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

There was nothing positive I gained from this internship outside of money.

Intern coordinators would rather belittle and talk down to intern than actually help. Work was neither stimulating nor challenging.

Do not accept a MBA internship with HP finance.

Advice to Management

COmpletely revamp the MBA intern program. We have too many activities aimed at undergrads and nothing of value. Intern coordinators talk to us like we are in high school, not people with as much or more work experience as them.