Intern at HP Intern Program - Americas Internship? Log in to Submit a Review

Tough, but rewarding.

Learning Environment, Compensation, Experience, Corporate Culture

Balancing work and school.

HP has been a great experience. I would certainly recommend it to anyone who is willing to work hard and learn.

Great way to get experience working in a Fortune 500 company
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great exposure to complex issues that only arise in a large multinational corporation.

Work prodominately on one project instead of exposure to many different projects.

You'll receive better assignments if you demonstrate a basic working knowledge of the group's functional area.

Advice to Management

Be more open to hiring interns as full time employees.

As a Spanish person, I am very happy with the great opportunity that I have had with this internship
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Networking, deal with other cultures, other ways to work,

Most people work from home. Most of the time, I work alone in the office

It is a very big great company with a lot opportunities worldwide if you can be hired after the internship.

Advice to Management

team building. Since a lot of people work from home, the relation between co-workers is difficult.

Great opportunity, need more guidance and support.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of my internship so far have been the projects I received and the independence to think freely on how to complete them.

What I liked the least about my internship was the direction and guidance I received. Although, I understand it's important to be independent, I also believe the direction and support a manager provides an intern is key to their success.

Get to know who your hiring manager is and be thorough in your questions: what kind of training do you provide, how many resources will I have available to me for guidance, etc.)

Advice to Management

Compensation, hours, employees, promotion policies, and diversity are amazing at HP I have no complaints. Training I would say is the weakest link in my experience so far. A better thought out plan and refined schedule for an intern would be ideal. Also, I would highly recommend to not take many classes during your internship because this will put you at a disadvantage when trying to learn and become a part of team. I had a full time schedule at school along with the internship and it put me behind schedule, which in the end effected the training process.

HP Provides Opportunities for Grownth, Early Responsibility
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was able to take ownership of my projects, and received support from my supervisors. There was also schedule flexibility.

Was often asked to do benchmarking against other companies, which was difficult because much of the information needed wasn't publicly available.

HP Global Procurement provides a very down-to-earth culture.

Real world, hands-on training.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The better you did, the more you were challenged. You have to let your boss know that you want and can handle more. If you show potential and drive, they let you go with it.

I had a very hard schedule at school and at times it was challenging to drive to work. We were able to make arrangements but I wish, if I showed that I was trust worthy, to be able to work remote more do to the extenuating circumstances. My entire team was remote from other states.

HP is a great place to work for, but you need to be proactive. I was lucky to get a great boss who kept asking if I wanted more and kept my plate with a very reasonable load. However, I have seen interns slip under the radar and not work much due to the busy schedule of their supervisors. To grow, it is best to get a good boss that will mentor you and/or be very proactive.

Advice to Management

If intern performs well, work with remote vs. on-site. Also, check in on them to see what they are learning because tomorrow they may be your full time employees and you do not want to wait until then to get to know them. My boos was amazing at making me feel engaged!

Hands-on experience in solving real problems.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work that was given was actually a real world problem, not just an assignment to keep you busy. I felt very accomplished after the initial stage of the internship, and as I continue along, I am learning more each day.

The hiring process was a bit shaky.

The environment is definitely a strong point to the company, and there are many people that will help you. It is very team-oriented, and everyone works hard.

Advice to Management

The training could be more personal, versus using online modules.

An Innovative Step for the Future
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Generating objectives together with leadership.
The freedom to utilize my creativity while meeting my objectives.
The trust and respect of leadership to outline the desired result and allow me the opportunity to work independently to meet that desired result.
The openness of the team to collaborate and share information.
When I requested additional projects, the managers shared their projects and allowed me the opportunity to contribute to the team.

Some of the people were unwilling to share information, even with the project explained to them. They were not interested in collaborating with others. It took presenting the project as a desired project for the manager and using the manager's name to obtain the information. The people shared and were impatient at sharing the information for the project. They attempted to make the transfer of information difficult and confusing. They even made negative remarks in regard to the manager. As a developing leader for the future, I recognized the attitude and made a positive influence on the people. I have professional relationship with the people. I turned it around for the best interest of the business.

Be an Innovative thinker with influence. Understand your customer segment and their behaviors. Learn your customer's perception of your product. Manage your customer's expectation of your product. Be teachable. Be a contributor to your team.

Advice to Management

Provide an outline and instructions of the necessary things to be completed to begin work. Getting set up on the basics such as log in, computer, HR information (W9), necssary website and explaination of the purpose of each website, reports, etc.....
An established manager trainee program, career advancement planning, and onsite HR.

Enjoy an introduction into a real-life corporate environment that will give you good experience.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Quality of life--they don't kill you with the amount of work you have to do.

I least like the ambiguity.

Know how to model in excel very well.

The Greatest Experiance to Jump Start my Future
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I loved the people and I loved knowing that i was making a difference for my team.

I didnt like that i was working 40 hours while my freinds still didnt have jobs or if they did they worked nights. But i think thats a great con considering all things

Stay organized and dont pick a project outside of your ablities.