Intern at HP Intern Program - Americas? Submit a Review

Amazing Experience w/ Amazing People!

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I would say the chance to work with passionate people who want to do their best and who inspire you,

I moved to Houston for the summer, which took a significant bite out of my paycheck.

Do it! HP is an amazing place to grow your abilities and network!

Advice to Management

I honestly can't think of any.

Great hands-on learning experience for anyone interested in the technology industry.

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

- Learning how to build professional grade websites from scratch.

- Learning about systems for big data management and analysis.

- Working with incredibly intelligent individuals from a wide range of backgrounds.

- HP's intern project fair. Interns make connections with and receive feedback from senior level employees who come to see intern projects.

A benefit of the HP internship is that you really get to choose what you want to work on. The downside of this is that if you don't advocate for yourself sometimes you might run out of stuff to work on but if you are on top of things that won't happen.

If you are interested in the technology industry, particularly cloud computing hardware and software services, HP is a great place to be right now. You will have significant hands on learning opportunities and there is quite a bit of mobility in the company so you can really choose what you want to work on.

- Tell us about a time you were entrepreneurial

- Which programming languages are you most proficient in?

- Which factors do you believe are most important when market sizing and analyzing a potential business opportunity?

The Best Place To Work As An Intern

Other (International) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The complete department is really cool, and makes you feel from day 1 like one of the company, my duties where really nice and I learn a lot in this 6 months.

Just that the interns don't get the same benefits as a full time employee

You need to move fast, it's and intern job so you need to learn as much as you can and apply that knowledge to the work to shine

Background, work experience, and knowledge

Advice to Management

I Think in that way this organization it's ok and works with all of the information

I could do this forever.

Boise, ID | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was able to meet some great people through networking events and office chatting. I learned a lot about what it is like to work for an industry as opposed to acedemia. These past three months further strengthened my career choice. I truly do not feel like I worked even though I accomplished quite a bit. I also learned that working slowly but consistently is much more effective.

I had difficulty getting housing as many of the options given to me were unavailable for only 3 months. I ended up coming to the internship without housing for the first few days. I also had to get 3 offer letters because the first 2 were blank.

You will not regret a decision to join HP for your job. There is an element of freedom here and you are basically expected to do work. Coming a little late and working at different times is ok here. As an intern, I feel as though I learned many life skills in the past 3 months.

What would you do if you had data that needed to be secure and readily accessible?

Describe the basic elements of programming: Pointers, Data Types, recursion, etc.

Describe the basic ideals of programming: Coupling, Multithreading, synchronous vs asynchronous, etc

What have you done in computer science? Projects? Assignments? Classes?

Advice to Management

Since there was basically nothing that I disliked about my internship it is difficult to find things to improve. I do wish that it was made clear to me that there is a technical career path. I initially believed that to move up, you must go to management. As someone who likes doing technical things, this news was mindblowing.

A Company That Treats You Like Family and the Opportunity to do Great Things

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I love that I can walk up to anyone, literally anyone, and they'll be very willing to help me to whatever I need. I am allowed to create my own rules and not hold anything back. I am able to participate at a global level. I am trusted by my peers and my managers to do an exceptional job.

It is pretty disorganized. There aren't any clear goals, which is a pro and a con because you can make it your own but at the same time it is hard to really understand expectations.

It really is what you make of it, it can be the best thing ever or a really rough ride. make it what you will, but do everything well.

Endless Career Opportunities with Leader in the Technology Industry

Palo Alto, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

inclusive culture, the people/employees, work-life balance, competitive pay, room for growth and development, superior training and mentoring, valuable work experience

being one of the youngest interns and having less work experience going into the job

HP is a leader in the tech industry with 300,000 employees across the globe. They genuinely care about their employees, offer great benefits, and room to grow and develop your career in any direction you choose. There are many dedicated mentors here to help and support you.

how do you resolve conflict?

what do you not like to do at a job?

Advice to Management

help employees by paying for part of their education as they pursue their MBA

Internship Provides Education and Resources to Budding Business Leaders

Denver, CO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was allowed to study abroad in Australia and work remotely for my U.S. manager from an HP office in Australia. It was amazing to meet other HP employees in a different group & country. I have tremendous flexibility in my working hours, whether I want to work from home or not, and my time off.

Sometimes it's pretty vague what I'm responsible for, which results in some miscommunication and a little extra work once in a while. The internship is almost like a job share in some functions which can be pretty annoying and a little counterproductive.

Best business experience you could ever receive. The pay is excellent, and the management is VERY willing to work with you on any ideas you have. In the business departments, interns have very high exposure to top management.

What was your favorite subject in school?

What was a time you were under pressure and how did you handle that situation?

What would you like to do?

Advice to Management

There was a bit of a kerfuffle because one intern was getting paid four or five dollars an hour OVER what the other interns in the same department, on the same team were making. I would just say, pay everyone fairly. We all get paid really well, but it doesn't feel good to do a lot of great work and feel invested in the team to learn you are not as valuable as another intern of the exact same circumstances (Marketing, year in school, time at HP, etc). Not really about the money, just the principle of the thing.

An amazing experience that has not only utilized my skills and knowledge, but has contributed to it as well.

Boise, ID | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Amazing people to work with

Great work environment

Flexibility of hours

Ability to work from home/remotely

Nothing. This is a great place to work.

Take in all the information you can. The learning experience is invaluable.

Advice to Management

None

gain knowledge

Sao Paulo | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

gain knowledge

short time

new experience

how you see yourself in five years?

what you expect from HP

Advice to Management

get opportunities

My internship experience was very useful and I learned a lot along the way that will help me moving forward.

Sacramento, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect of the intership is the amount of technical learning that takes place. Along with this, the employees are very kind and knowledgable, leading to an informative and work-friendly atmosphere.

What I like least about the internship is that the products that my team works on are not very exciting to me. This is completely subjective, however.

Interns at this organization are expected to be savvy and confident. Interns may be asked to use software and programming languages that they are not too familiar with. Thus, it is important for interns to be ready to work hard and to have the experience and confidence necessary to investigate and problem-solve independently. In the end, an internship here is informative and helpful on both technical and career-development levels.

There were many questions about general computer science concepts:

Example: "How is dynamic memory allocated in memory? How is static memory allocated?"

There were many technical questions about data structures:

Example: "Which is more efficient for insertion: a singly linked list or a doubly linked list? Which is more efficient for deletion and which is more efficient for searching? Explain."

There were many technical questions about networking:

Example: "What are the differences between a router, a switch, and a hub?"

There were many behavioral questions:

Example: "What are your 3 biggest strengths? What are your 3 biggest weaknesses?"

Advice to Management

This is a great place to work and I cannot think of anything specifically for the organization to become better in this regard.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)