Intern at HP Intern Program - Americas Internship? Log in to Submit a Review

Global Finance Intern Supporting PSG Product P&L and Product Forecasting
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I had the opportunity to learn more than most students at their internships.

It is about a 30 minute drive which can be somewhat time consuming.

Ask as many questions as possible. It is impossible for you to know how to do all of this just coming. Ask questions early so often so you do not get lost.

Student receives an internship that allows unlimited potential growth!
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Opportunity, flexible schedule, and great compensation.

Not one to list.

Be part of a growing field, never chase after a position that will lead to a limit of your abilities.

Advice to Management

Offer 401K to year-round interns.

Great Intern program with tremendous learning oportunities and many intern specific social events
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The pay is much higher than any previous job I have had. The culture is very supportive of interns. Getting to work with some extremely bright people is a privilege.

Often I feel lost and overwhelmed with the project I am working on and how incredibly complex the technology is.

HP is a great place to meet some extremely bright people. Be prepared for an extremely large company culture. You may find yourself feeling like a tiny drop in an ocean of people way smarter than you. Use this as motivation instead of discouragement.

Advice to Management

A more structured training program for the specific project the interns will be working on would be nice. For example, how to use certain software or certain pieces of lab equipment.

Communication
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The team that I worked with. Each member was a great role model.

Traffic/ commute to/from work.

This is a great place to gain experience and surround yourself with great people!

Advice to Management

Assign interns official and unofficial mentors early, and give them a diverse set of projects

Wonderful Experience Leading to the Start of a Career
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to know the company culture and obtaining a full time position

Too many teambuilding activities amongst interns that took away from the work that needed to be done.

Knowing the ever-changing structure of the company is important to know prior to accepting a position.

Advice to Management

Communication from HR is in dire need of improvement.

HP Networking internship provides outstanding experience and career opportunities
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The challenges presented during the testing process, including working with engineers to track down root causes of software defects, have provided invaluable experience. Flexible hours and convenient location were definite advantages, as well.

Exclusion from certain employee benefits (paid time off, 401k).

Realize that your role within the company is unlikely to be static; you may stay within the same group for the duration of your internship, or you may be reassigned based on your particular skill set or the needs of the company. Be flexible, and always be willing to learn something new.

Exellent Experience
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with were great. Very helpful and willing to develop my learnings throughout my internship.

Social Activities with other interns were limited

The company culture is great. Everyone is very supportive and willing to help.

Opportunity of your Life
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

speaking to people from all over the world. interning for a global company.

decision making process

If you want a challenge and opportunity to grow, HP is the right place. The only catch is you have to be ready to put in long hours and be frlexible.

LGBT Student finds safe workspace with opportunity for career advancement.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning experience, HP intern inclusiveness, granted many responsibilities

Some tasks proved above my level of experience

Working in engineering is not for the lazy, give it your all and love what you do

Advice to Management

Needs better entry into workspace, getting started was awkward. Needs more defined tasks doled out to interns.

Great flexibility and career development opportunities.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

My managers were phenomenal. They were very active in mentoring me and preparing me for future career growth, be it at HP or somewhere else. Their goal wasn't to woo me in, but to instead help me make the most out of my experience. They gave me invaluable advice on how to choose my first full time job after college, and things to do to advance my career.

I also got great experience with SAP, a system used by many large companies that few people have experience with fresh out of college. Being able to add that too my resume was a great boost.

Perhaps most important is the flexibility. HP is a very spread out company. My team had members in Austin, Houston, several different cities in California, and a few in random other cities in the U.S. Thus, they rely heavily on conference calls and online meetings. This made it easy for me to continue my internship when I went back to school in a different city. My managers allowed me to extend the internship past the normal 10-12 weeks and work from home. How many interns get to work from home? This was also nice the few times I had 8 a.m. meetings. I usually didn't get into the office at 9:30, so those days I'd roll out of bed, turn on my computer, and join the meeting. After it was over, I could get dressed and go to the office. How many internships allow that kind of flexibility? My management team trusted me to do the work I needed to get done, so if I wanted to work 10-6:30 with a shorter lunch break I could, as long as I didn't miss any meetings, of course. Some teams don't have as much flexibility because they have to coordinate with people in extremely different time zones, among other reasons. It just depends.

The events for all of the interns at the site weren't always the most coordinated. The Austin site is fairly new though, so it'll take some time to work out the kinks, I guess. They didn't start really having those events until the second half of the internship, so the first half there were hardly any times where you saw all of the interns together. It would be nice to have a weekly meeting with all the interns, to allow everyone to get to know each other better, ask any questions they may have, etc. I'm going to propose this for next summer, especially if I'm able to be an intern coordinator as a full time employee.

HP has had some bad press in the past year or two. Don't let that turn you away at ALL. Meg Whitman is a phenomenal CEO, and has only been there about a year now. She and her leadership team are dedicated to bringing HP to where it needs to be. The individuals I worked with on my team were very dedicated to the company, and proud to be a part of it. Whether or not you end up as a full time employee, the internship is a great chance to gain career experience and network with outstanding people in the industry.