PNC Pathways Summer Internship Program

Well-Rounded Experience in the Many Facets of Technology
Pittsburgh, PA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

My internship had many great aspects, the best being position experience and team involvement. As an intern on my team, I was able to experience several different roles (Project Manager, Business Systems Analyst, Quality Analyst). Several different people acted as my managers and gave me insight into their projects and positions within the team. Being on the team in general was also a great experience. The team involved me in weekly meetings, included me in discussions, expected my participation, and even included me on a team outing where we spent a day at a local museum.

Sometimes there wasn't work to do. There may be lags in projects or people may be overloaded with work. This depends on your team and was a minor issue.

Let your managers know you can take on more work. If you don't ask, they won't give you more. I have rarely heard of an intern having too much work because the managers do not want to overload you. Do not rush you work, keep good quality, ask for more when you're done if you are not handed another assignment.

Advice to Management

None

Learn Everything You Need To Know About Retail Banking, And Love Every Second Of It.
Pittsburgh, PA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with. They were all great, and I will stay in contact with quite a few of them.

Waking up early every morning.

Work hard, be open, and have a positive attitiude and everything will be fine.

Advice to Management

The independent project we needed to complete could have been managed better.

An Amazing Opportunity to Learn from Tenured Business Professionals
Washington, DC | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

-learning opportunities

-quality of projects

-opportunity to receive coaching

-access to many lines of business

I think this internship could have been improved with a review closer to the start date. This would allow interns to take better advantage of their first five weeks.

PNC wants to give their interns the best possible training and opportunities to succeed. Make sure you take the initiative early and take advantage of the opportunities given to you.

Became a valuable asset to a large corporation while creating the foundation of my initial business experience
Pittsburgh, PA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Wealth of knowledge and networking opportunities

I liked everything about the internship

The more you put into the internship the more you will get out of it. There are ways to stay under the radar, so don't become complacent and bring 110% everyday.

Advice to Management

nothing

A great way to expand your knowledge and gain insight into different areas of the financial service industry.
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I appreciated that I got exposed to many different areas of the bank and I was given ownership of the projects I completed. I was never bored and felt that my work had worth and benefit for my manager and team. I was trusted with important projects and brought along to client calls.

There isn't anything I didn't like about the internship.

Make sure that you network and utilize the resources around you. Now is the best time to ask any questions and put yourself out there. I have learned that it is important to have a manager or mentor who is involved in your development and success as your experience is what you make of it.

Advice to Management

N/A

Insight into Banking
Pittsburgh, PA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everyone was extrememly helpful and easy to work with. They made the interns feel welcomed and appreciated.

I did not like having to pay for my commute, but the stipend helped the expense.

Do a lot of research on every area within PNC and find what interests you the most.

Intern gains invaluable experience in the workplace he would not have recieved in shcool.
Pittsburgh, PA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship was actually being able to do something that will be used. Not jus busy documentation and writing. I was about to actually get into coding and I did it well.

I liked everything about the ienternship.

The first week of your internship is crutial for showing to your peers and managers that you can take on more tasks. For me, I wasn't given any coding projects but I asked about how to get involved with the projects and once they saw that I was a very good coder, they gave me even more tasks to complete.

Ideal Finance Internship
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best part of the internship is that I was given real-world assignments and felt that I provided value-added work.

Although minimal, I did have some down time.

I believe I had the ideal internship experience with PNC. In addition to the real world work, interns are exposed are exposed to senior management and given many networking opportunites and events throughout the summer.

More than just a place to deposit your money, PNC offers opportunities in invesment banking, wealth management, and sales and trading.
Philadelphia, PA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

PNC has the benefits of operating like a boutique day to day and as a bulge bracket bank in terms of its role within the financial industry.

I think the recruiting process is somewhat flawed in that they interview for very different positions together. (retail banking and investment banking for example)

Don't follow the crowd. Chasing the same banks/positions as everyone else just because everyone else is chasing those positions keeps you from exploring which opportunities are best fit for you which sets you back in the long run.

Working for a Bank is More Than Just Counting Money
Pittsburgh, PA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people! Everyone that I worked with was so friendly and helpful. They all were more than happy to answer my questions about anything. I also was given really awesome projects - and nothing was just busy work. Everything that I did was important and crucial to the department that I worked in, and to know that I was trusted with all of that responsibility was not only exciting but also gave me the chance to prove myself.

All of the interns on my team were in the same building except for me. It honestly wasn't really even that big of a deal because there's a shuttle that I would take over to their building for team meetings.

PNC is huge on networking. If you do not reach out to different people in your department, or even outside of your department for that matter, you are doing it wrong. I asked to meet with so many people just to talk to them about what their role in the company is and to tell them a little bit about what I was doing throughout my internship, and everyone was more than willing to meet with me!