PNC Pathways Summer Internship Program

4.4 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 157 Intern Reviews)

Finding Myself

The people

Amount of responsibility delegated to interns

The culture here is amazing and if you go up to anyone with a question, they will be willing to help you.

Advice to Management

There should be more responsibilities delegated to interns.

Internship Paves Way for Successful Career and Successful Life.
Lancaster, PA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the interhship was the exposure to upper management and the ability to be exposed to multiple lines of business. In addition, the overall culture was aligned with my personal character.

The lack of analyst & TMO resources within my market. There weren't any analysts in my market which means I wasn't specifically exposed to what analysts do on a day-to-day basis.

- Be proactive instead of reactive, ask for tasks to do in which you can help. Once task is done report to manager and have them give immediate feedback on your results.

- Ask questions!!!

- Take the time to interview as many people in different LOB to gain insight on what you may like or dislike.

Advice to Management

-Perhaps the ability to work from home maybe one day a week. (Not necessarily as an intern, just in general)

-Have designated quiet times in which people aren't able to interupt individuals so workers wont be distracted from their work.

Ex: Tuesdays & Thursdays between noon & 4:30PM is strict uninterrupted working time. No "ifs" "ands" or "buts" about it.

-Limit the amount of meetings per day/week and only have essential people that are actively involved in the meeting attend. Meetings are expensive.

Plenty to learn, excited to work.
Pittsburgh, PA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Job hours, inclusion, friendliness of department, career development, meaningful work.

The internship was too short, week wise.

Be ready to be competitive to work at the establishment.

Advice to Management

Make sure that it is clear if on track to get a job or not earlier on.

Pathway to Success to a new life
Pittsburgh, PA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of my intership was the exceptional leadership and mentorship that was provided me in my internship. I could not have been placed in a better opportunity with better professionals.

My Manager kept me busy and coached me on areas of opportunity to improve the overall effectiveness of my experience. I truly believe that this is an opportunity to "learn and grow".

My greatest experience in my internship was going out to the East Region and Allegheny Region posing as a customer to complete branch audits. I now understand why Human Sigma is so very important to PNC.

The least thing that I like about the internship is being uncertain of whether or not I will be selected for a full time opportunity with the corporation.

In reference to my experience in evaluating an organization as a potential employer I would advise a candidate to look for the qualities that "you" have that match the company's qualities. I had a great experience overall because I looked for the attributes of Integrity, Performance, and made sure that the company's vision matched my vision. Also look for a company who rewards hard work.

Advice to Management

Employee Retention is an area that I would directly address in reference to retaining the great employees and keeping them on board.

Path to a Bright Future
Raleigh, NC | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The independency, the people, the culture, and volunteerism.

The location.

Make sure that whatever you choose, you will ultimately be happy in because you will spend majority of your time there.

The best way to learn is through experience
Pittsburgh, PA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting first hand knowledge and experience.

Not knowing that I could not be hired into the position my managers and I wanted after I graduated.

Try to absorb as much information as you can.

Advice to Management

I think the internship went really well.

Easy going and balanced

Networking

Technology software took to long to get in order to be cleared, and not enough challenging work

Try really hard to get where you want to be first, and do not settle for what you think will be easiest to get. PNC is really good about helping you pursue any avenue in banking. All youhave to do is ask.

Advice to Management

Compensation is low along with the stipend when you consider taxes. Also please keep the interns busier with work in the department they are interning

PNC is all about development
Charlotte, NC | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

There are many opportunities for engagement and it was easy to feel like I was an asset to the relationship managers during my time. On that note, all of the employees in my market were extremely friendly and quick to mentor when applicable.

Sometimes it felt like I should have been doing harder work. I definitely had more bandwidth that could have been leveraged by the bank.

PNC is a great bank with a growing footprint and the future looks bright. One thing to keep in mind is that PNC lives by a moderate risk profile.

"Intern Gains Real-World Knowledge and Undergoes Tremendeous Personal Growth"
Pittsburgh, PA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

My team is great - I was placed very well. I learned a lot, and I really value the networking opportunities we have. That sent PNC apart from all of the other places I interviewed with.

- I want to know what my mid-process review overall score was. I also want to know what my final review overall score will be. I wish I could see where I am good and where I need improvement. I wouldn't get mad at my manager or be offended, I would try to grow from it. Honestly.

- I wish it had started earlier so that it could end sooner. I would have liked a bigger break between work and school than just 5 days.

PNC goes above and beyond for its interns. The Summer Summit, networking opportunities, placement decisions, Connections website, and campus recruiting team are all extremely valuable assets to the company and they are things that set PNC apart from nearly everyone else out there. They make you feel at home, appreciated, and valuable, even though you are a temporary employee.

Advice to Management

I've heard that the intern-to-development program retention is great, but that the development program-to-full-time retention is awful. I think that's because you spend so much time, effort, and money on impressing the young talent that your mid-level employees are totally overworked and underappreciated. I've spoken with my team, and other teams on my floor, and almost all of the middle-aged people in my department are REALLY unhappy. That's sad, and it's definitely not the route I want my life to go. You NEED to stop hiring based on head count and start basing it off of the budget. And the business needs to understand that it cannot function in today's day and age without technology. Technology NEEDS to be more appreicated. These men and women have so much on their plates, and yet they have completely unnecessary hoops to jump through on an almost hourly basis. These teams are dropping like flies - I've seen over 5 full-time employees leave the bank on my floor alone since I started in mid-June. That's terrifying for someone who is looking for a full-time, long-term job, especially in a field that is not going anywhere any time soon. If people are so unhappy here that they are leaving positions they've been in for multiple years to go to another company, it makes me wonder what is wrong with PNC. Even though I'm impressed by the lengths the company goes to in order to make interns feel appreciated and valued, I am disappointed that those feelings aren't being expressed to the people that actually make the bank run.

Own Your Development
Pittsburgh, PA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The freedom/responsibility given to each intern from day one. It helped foster growth amongst the interns and allowed people to seperate themselves in a positive way without having to take advantage of others.

At times there was not enough work for me.

People are the key to an organization and PNC has great people.

Advice to Management

Increase the level of technology, at times it feels a bit limited.