PNC Pathways Summer Internship Program

Great Experience
Pittsburgh, PA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Work conducted, intern activities, people that you worked with

PNC not having programs already installed on our computers, access not being given at start of internship.

It was a great experience. The people you work with are great.

A valuable yet occasionally frustrating internship where I found myself as the only intern in a small wealth management office.
Paramus, NJ | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Going out with the Relationship Manager on prospect calls. This is what I have interest in for a career so I was able to shadow the RM at times and get a great outlook on what the job entails. Also, I feel as though the compensation for interns is very fair.

I'm the only intern in a small office in a location I do not enjoy. My manager passed me off to work under an Investment Advisor who was not very welcoming or excited to work with me. I find myself very bored often times due to lack of work given to me and most of that work being extremely tedious and mind-numbing. I feel as though my experience is not an accurate reflection of what a typical PNC internship offers.

PNC has impressed me as a company, and most of the PNC employees that I have met seem happy with their jobs and are excited for me as an intern to possibly become part of the "PNC family".

Advice to Management

It's hard for me to comment on PNC as a whole because I feel isolated in a small PNC Wealth Management Office as compared to being in their Pittsburgh Plaza headquarters, for example. Overall it seems like a very solid company with content employees.

Great Connections, Great People, Great Culture - The Experience You Won't Want to Pass Up
Pittsburgh, PA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best part was having the ability to work with other employees and managers within my segment, which gave me a lot of exposure to different projects and parts of PNC. Also, the people are very receptive to questions, helpful, and kind. It truly is a great environment to work in. The company culture is great. I loved the Grow-Up Great event for interns. The kickball tournament and other social aspects were great to get to meet other interns, who may end up being fellow co-workers at PNC full-time. The onboarding process was smooth, and the conference was great. The exposure to PREP was awesome.

The finance intern project was scheduled poorly because the meetings to learn about the goals and business segments had to occur during quarter end, which was frustrating for everyone. Also, the pre-arrival communication between the interns and PNC was poor. For example, I was told 3 different report times for orientation. It would have been nice to know that an e-mail on housing recommendation was coming, so I didn't have to stress about housing in January. Finally, management should ensure that managers are managing their interns and giving them work. Although this was not a personal issue, other interns did address this concern with me.

If you want a company that cares about its employees from their work productivity to health to work-life balance, PNC is by far the best choice. All members of the organization are very approachable and love helping interns. The experience taught me numerous lessons, such as the importance of talking on the phone instead of via e-mail. PNC cares about giving back to the communities that its in, so if you want to be a part of a company that takes root in each community it is in and improves it, choose PNC.

Advice to Management

The PNC compensation is comparable to smaller firms, so I feel that the lower hourly wage is a deterrent, especially in comparisoin to other financial institutions. The stipend should only be given to interns who are NOT living at home and need the money to be able to live in Pittsburgh. Hours are great, but I would be more clear as to what events should be considered "salaried" hours for intern events and to the rules behind overtime, etc. Also, it may be helpful if management or HR checks up on interns to ensure that they are getting along with their manager, since it would provide a third party to confide in. Promotion policies and the structure within the organization (i.e. Analyst, Senior Vice President) should be better explained, so interns understand that there are avenues of promotion available if a full-time off is extended and they accept. Training is great. The Hyperion trainig was helpful (Andy Schmidt is an amazing teacher). Diversity is prevalent at PNC and not an issue. Finally, it is wrong that younger interns are paid less than older interns, given that they may be as capable, if not more, than their older counterparts. However, if PNC elects to pay returning interns more, that is more logical and fair since they have proven their abilities and shown loyalty, while all new interns should be treated equally.

Great learning experience with a sizable company and mostly easy to work with people.
Saint Louis, MO | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Developing a breadth of knowledge on the processes involved in day-to-day and the broad concepts of banking.

It took a long time to get access to systems that I needed to use, and there were very slow points in the internship.

Make sure you like the city that you're in and try to meet people in the office to determine if you would enjoy working with them.

Advice to Management

Try to be less equal and more equitable with regards to how employees are treated and promoted.

Could have going a lot better.
Pittsburgh, PA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The interaction with other interns.

My team was not very welcoming. I felt isolated.

Learn exactly what the LOB you are entering does so you are not mislead.

Advice to Management

Nicer employees. I was not recieved well from day 1.

In depth but can vary from group to group
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

the hours weren't very long at all.

the hours weren't very long at all and everyone is very nice and are willing to give you work

they should give more work that a full time employee may recieve rather than just admin work that you don't learn much from at all

Advice to Management

give more work that a fulltime would actually do rather than just admin work

A great way to start your career journey and to get initial exposure to the corporate world.
Pittsburgh, PA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

You have the opportunity to meet many people in all lines of business.

A lot of down time. Pace is a bit slow here due to the approval process and going through all the “red tape” measures.

Be ready for the down time. Have a side project to work on during these waiting periods (ie. I taught myself coding languages). You can ask for more work from your manager, but if they don’t have anything for you, let it go and work on your side project. Some managers complained about having “overeager” interns this summer (sometimes they really don’t have anything you can work on, and you are just bothering them by constantly asking for work).

Advice to Management

Have more projects ready that interns can work on.

Complete asset management background.
Philadelphia, PA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

the learning and pay

lack of intern comraderie

be content with less glitzy markets

Intern-orientated and focused on training for future employment
Pittsburgh, PA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I greatly enjoyed the team members and other individuals in the office. Everyone was very welcoming and offered help when I needed it.

There wasn't enough work for me, which may have just been specific to my placement as other interns seemed to be kept busy.

The internship program is designed to train and bring in future employees, therefore researching the different areas and expressing a strong interest in a particular one can be very beneficial in the long run.

Busy
Cleveland, OH | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people and experience I had were alot better than I expected

Getting coffee every morning and being the intern that does all of the grunt work

Don't be afraid to have an opinion and ask alot of questions

Advice to Management

more transparency when it comes to intern performance