Perella Weinberg Partners Advisory Summer Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #2 Best Investment Bank Internships  /  #11 Best Overall Internships

Perella Weinberg Partners offers a great internship experience with extensive training.
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great training, staffing on live deals, fun social activities, the ability to work across industry groups.

Long hours

Perella Weinberg Partners has a pretty unique culture: entrepreneurial but values-based

Perella Weinberg is one of the fastest growing elite boutiques that focuses on interns having access to senior management and more responsib
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Access to senior management, interesting work, flat culture, and the opportunity to work with some of the most intelligent people in finance

The hours can get rough at times but that is common in investment banking

One of the perks with working at Perella Weinberg is that you have access to both M&A and restructuring when you initially start which is not very common with other banks on Wall Street. The culture is very flat where everyone is willing to help and the level of responsibility you get as an analyst allows you to learn quicker than working at a bulge bracket firm. If you are looking for a great corporate culture and incredible learning opportunities Perella Weinberg is the place for you.

My experience at Perella was filled with diverse experiences and incredible relationships.
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Breadth of projects, ranging from internal briefings to live deals. The people I worked with took a sincere interest in my development and education.

I would have preferred to have been staffed on more live deals, and perhaps given more exposure to technical analysis.

Understand the founding principles of the firm; they really show in the day-to-day interactions between employees. Also be willing to step up, or step down and do what your team needs you to do. The firm isn't a place where you find a star culture. People punch above and below their weight class on a daily basis.

What gets you up in the mornings?

If you increase D&A over time, how might that effect a company's EBITDA multiple?

Advice to Management

One thing I certainly noticed was the general lack of diversity in the office. Needless to say the majority of bankers were white men, but it was an overwhelming majority. The firm should try to alter its recruiting efforts, such that they may better attract minority students who may be interested in finance.

Expected to perform like and was treated similarly to a full-time analyst.
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Staffer made a strong effort to get the interns on live deals. Summer analysts were pretty much expected to perform like a full-time analysts; personally I was given no "filler" work whatsoever. Towards the end of the internship I was frequently the only analyst on a team, sometimes working directly for a director, so the exposure in that regard was great.

No significant cons.

As an analyst at a boutique you will work on both the coverage and product side at the same time. As a result you will learn M&A or restructuring very well while maintaining flexibility across industries. At Perella Weinberg specifically, analysts start in a generalist pool and usually specialize in an industry (or in restructuring) about 6 months to a year in. There is no group placement process for summer analysts, so when you accept your offer you know exactly what you are getting into.

Accounting questions that involved effects on the three financial statements were very common.

Top program that provides an opportunity to work on live transactions, rigorous training and exposure to founders / senior bankers
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Ability to work with a wide range of people throughout the firm and contribute on deals and pitches, leading training program that was ongoing throughout the summer, exposure to founder and senior bankers and well planned social events.

I did not get to see the full cycle of the transactions that I worked on. However, this will be the case at most internships given the short duration.

Perella Weinberg Partners is a fast growing, entrepreneurial firm that provides an excellent internship program.

An environment with some of the smartest people in the business, which could not be a better place to grow in
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Greater responsibilities and expectations than my peers from other banks reported. This also meant greater exposure to senior bankers. On a few projects, I would be the only analyst staffed and would work hand-in-hand with associates and directors, and even a partner at one point. There were also many opportunities to socialize with senior bankers, with an emphasis placed on meeting partners of the firm.

Hours and work life balance could be a challenge given the high expectations put on our class. That said, I never found myself overwhelmed or unable to cope.

PWP has a very technical interview process and employs a small class. They expect a significant amount of technical knowledge and try to get the best candidates from the start.

Intense but rewarding with unparalleled learning opportunities
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Training and intensity of the expertise/ analysis partners are bringing to the table

The hours were intense, especially since most of my classmates in large banks had great work-life balance

Come knowing that you will work extremely hard, will get paid above street and will learn a ton more than your colleagues at other firms

Advice to Management

Please focus more on staffing/ hiring more juniors

Perella Weinberg provides a tremendous learning environment on a rapidly growing platform
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

-Substantial responsibility: financial modeling, client interaction

-Healthy environment: non-competitive, friendly, professional, respectful

-Culture: team-oriented, everyone gets along, great intern events (formal and informal)

-Above Street-average hours (no weekend protections for summers). This is banking, however, and it's important to suck it up and realize you're at the best possible place to build a career

-Over-determined homework assignments

Be enthusiastic and stay sharp and you will find success at PWP. Consider where the IB industry is headed. PWP is on a great trajectory, snapping up market-share from the bigger banks. It's a great place to build a career in banking, and the firm has plenty of connections to other opportunities.

Nothing too far out of the ordinary. Make sure you know what is appealing to you about the independent advisory model. Technicals can be more difficult than average.

Advice to Management

Re-align compensation to Wall Street (was higher than Street-average). Continue to make strides to improve the lives of junior bankers. Shorten the case studies given how busy interns were this summer.

Personal and Intellectual Development: A summer of continuing education
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Incredible exposure to senior partners on a personal level. Close-knit community that fosters teamwork. Environment fosters cooperation, not competition.

Long hours, but I guess it comes with the territory.

You need to be smart, but also personable. To get the most out of this internship, you need to be able to interact with senior management. It is a small and nimble team. You need to be a team player.

Work Hard; Play (kind of) Hard
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The training program is comprehensive and exposes you to many technical aspects of banking. The company facilitates the networking process, and it is easy to meet senior level bankers.

The work hours.

If you want to do banking, this is a great place to be. We don't do capital raising though, so if you are interested in capital markets this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Every place has room for improvement, but, comparatively, Perella Weinberg does pretty well in all of these categories. The hours might be a little above average.