Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

Incredible Experience

Columbus, OH | July 2016 | CURRENT INTERN

Great experience for anyone that is looking for a real life internship. This is not some internship that has you do everyone's dirty work and run errand. In this position, you are actually beginning your own business. This job is not for everyone though. You should be open to being uncomfortable and putting yourself out there. There is unlimited to potential to move up in the company through this internship and convert to full-time. The people here are incredible and I will take this experience with me forever. Not to mention that this is a top 10 internship nationally and it will look great on any resume. Not to mention the compensation is also limitless depending on how hard you work.

This is not a career path for everyone. You should be more on the extroverted side and open to being uncomfortable at times.

Comments

Make sure that you have people to reach out to for financial planning purposes. Anyone is a good candidate, just make sure you are more extroverted than introverted.

Launching pad for a life of flexibility and limitless opportunity while being able to serve others.

Lincoln, NE | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexibility, income, and being able to truly experience what a full time career would be like.

The hardest part for me was being in the people business and figuring out that people are very undependable from time to time. When you are trying to help improve someone's life financially and they don't follow through on what they tell you they want to do was frustrating for me initially.

This is a great opportunity to learn skills as an entrepreneur and how to build a successful business. If you are a motivated individual who dreams of a career with unlimited income potential, complete flexibility in your personal life, and values helping people you can not go wrong test driving this career.

Advice to Management

Help paint the picture for the interns to know what is really possible with this career. Share examples of career advisors who started out in the internship program and are having amazing success.

top 5 best choices I have ever made!

Dubuque, IA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to impact peoples lives in a life changing way

the Commission part of things can makes things rough but if you work hard and keep your head down it pays of in the long run

Look at it as a potential career not an internship

Advice to Management

encourage the interns to be in the office more and make them earn the freedom.

Become a financial advisor with training and mentorship from the top advisors in the business!

Minneapolis, MN | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The mentorship and guidance from the successful full time advisors
The ability to earn a substantial income even as an intern
The freedom to control my own schedule
Doing something that truly benefits people

Not knowing if you were going to make money that week or month to be able to pay your bills

Be willing to put the work in and you will be successful in the business and make more money then most people out of college in full time careers

Advice to Management

Keep interns more accountable so they don't develop bad habits before they take the career full time

The interview was pretty relaxed they just want to get to know you as a person to see if you'd be a good fit for the office culture as well as good at the career

REAL EXPERIENCE AT IT's FINEST!

Chicago, IL | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I learned about financial planning and that is something helpful for the rest of my life!

I would have enjoyed spending more time with the senior advisors, learning their perspective on why they made the recommendation they made!

identify IF a full time oppty really exists PRIOR to the start of the internship!!!??!!

Advice to Management

we could be more diverse!

how would you handle the following situation? what is the toughest situation you have been dealt with? whats your biggest strength and weakness?

When you know your why, you can endure any how.

Peoria, IL | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexibility, opportunity to test drive the career, ability to make an impact, opportunity to learn about insurance and personal financial planning

Phoning was the thing I least liked doing.

Never quit. Realize how big of an opportunity this is, embrace it, and remember: when you know your why, you can ensure any how.

Advice to Management

Training more in depth in all phases of the career.

What are your strengths?
What are your weaknesses?
What are you passionate about?

hard work will yield great rewards

Columbus, OH | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

test driving the actual career

it was hard!

if you're going to do this, give it your best shot and treat it like a full time career. only way you'll know if its right for you

A true experience of what it would be like to be full time.

Princeton, NJ | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Impact we had on people. Independence. Potential for income was big! Lots of training and hands on experience.

liked it all!

go through the interview process fully and they will help you determine if it is a good fit for you.

Real life experience, great training, great compensation program

Boston, MA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Paid program, working with people, out in the field a lot

no real draw backs from my experience, I wish I had come across them earlier in my college career

be coachable, they have a recipe for success, use it!

ask for "track record of success"

How do you define hard work? and what are some examples of how you display?

The best internship in the world with the biggest opportunity for growth, development, and income.

Minneapolis, MN | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Mentorship. Real world experience. Learning from senior advisors in all aspects of life. Culture.

There is nothing that I did not like. There were things that are hard work, but it's not that I didn't like them. Just like with any job, it was what I had to do to get the job done/be successful.

Come in with a good & hard work ethic, be coachable, utilize the experience/resources that are given.