Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

A real trial, for real life!

Knoxville, TN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexability with time and no limit on compensation. It was commision based

I wish I would have known about it earlier.

Put in your best effort up front to really gauge if this is something you could do the rest of your life

Real work experience while building your own business.

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real experience, builiding a client base for myself, learning professional skills that can be applied to any industry, and being held accountable for my own business.

It was largely commission based, but there were other stipends and financial incentives.

This company and business rewards high work ethic. What you put into this, is what you will earn out of it. It is incredibly rewarding.

Tell me about a time you had to overcome something and what you did to do it?

What is your biggest fear?

Describe your dream job.

Advice to Management

Be more upfront about the dress code during the hiring process. It would also be helpful to have a different training/orientation for interns with a certain level of experience instead of resending them back through training with new hires.

For those who are or want to be the best of the best, give Northwestern Mutual a shot. There's no downside.

Seattle, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The training is fantastic. Learning about such important topics like financial planning, budget analysis, and running a business can't be replaced. Whether or not an intern goes full-time with the company, they'll be a better person and more employable after the internship. The office culture is fantastic as well. I love the competitive nature because everyone wants to succeed as badly as they want to breathe, but they also want to see others succeed. They want to be the best by beating the best. Tons of great, fun people, and the internship strikes a perfect balance - for me - between professional and fun. The pay is unbeatable to.

It's such a copmetitive field, that there is a ton of turnover in the industry. It can be hard to befriend someone as you're watching them fail out of something that they want badly.

Some people simply aren't cut out for this career. It's extremely independent, and a lot of people don't like the fact that they're 100% responsible for their income and lifestyle. Others may not like that it's 100% commission based. I'd say try it and really submit yourself 100% to it before you decide it's not for you. The people who make this a career are really, really happy. It'd be a shame to not make the most of such a good opportunity.

First interview is very stereotypical, but less formal. Tell me about yourself. Strengths/weaknesses. What's your 5, 10, and 20 year plan. Tell me a time of adversity, etc. The second interview is super unique and really cool. They ask us to put together a powerpoint presentation covering a series of questions and trying to sell ourselves to the company. Things like: why this industry, why this company, what are your goals, what makes you different, what motivates you, what do you want from us, etc. This is where we ask them some questions as well to figure out if it could be a fit for us. The third interview is with our potential mentor to hear more about the career, expectations, and get a chance to really dig deep and as questions. They want to see from us the same things that anyone else does, but it's super cool to talk to a mentor rather than a recruiter during the interview process.

Advice to Management

Overall communication can be spotty sometimes. Whether it's requirements for a competition or conditions to get paid, they're not always as clear as possible. That's probably just a bureacracy issue, but it can be annoying. Other than that minor issue, I'd say keep doing what they're doing, finding great kids, and training them to be the best version of themselves.

A competitive, fun, and challeneging way to learn the indusrty

Pittsburgh, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I learned more than I did in school. I was able to grow up as an individual while getting real life experience. I didn't have to grab coffee or do administrative work.

It was stressful at times.

Everybody should at least give it a shot. I never thought of this as a career when I started, but I gave it a chance and now I am here.

What makes you a good fit?

Advice to Management

I think it is fine the way it is. As long as you take the internship seriously and are coachable you will learn more than in any other internship.

Great oppritunity to meet and help a lot of people in a very meanigful career.

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

helping people and flexible schedual.

I dont really have something about the internship that i didnt like. i thought it was very well put together.

Dont hesitate ondoing this just becauseit is commision. This is an amazing experience!!!

Have you ever been in a management situation? If so, explain.

Advice to Management

I truely would noy improve my og\rganization at all!!! my advice to management would be to keep doing what your doing.

Real life experience

Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting with clients, learning what the actual career is like

A lot of training

If you want to own your own business and have face-to-face interaction with clients, also the coaching is great!

Do you want to be rewarded for your efforts/performance

Advice to Management

More activity on the campus

What is Your Maximum Potential?

Minneapolis, MN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The ability to make as much money as you could imagine. It is really nice to not have a salary cap. I love the flexibility that I have to take off from work whenever needed or to make my schedule work better with a prospects.

There wasn't anything I didn't like about my internship.

Work hard and you will reap the benefits early

The opportunity of a lifetime

Akron, OH | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

People, resources, learning, communication skills, workplace culture, fun

Inconsistent pay and down time. When you are struggling with finding clients or keeping a full schedule. You always have your tram to pick you up and help you rough tough times.

Know what you are getting into and if it is the right type of opportunity for yourself. Ask questions.

What is an example of failure that you have experienced in your life and how did you overcome it?

Advice to Management

No Comment

Unlimited opportunity to apply a financial education to a real world career while building a business and helping others

Buffalo, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The training and support from peers and home office coupled with the autonomy and unlimited opportunity to grow, continue your education and not have a corporate glass ceiling. Working for a company that puts investing in their employees and delivering value before anything else.

Our office was underdeveloped at the time so there was no director of the program or formal mentor structure like there is now.

Work hard, follow the trianing, ask for help and always keep learning.

What motivates you most in a career?

Tell me about a time where you were faced with adversity that you had to overcome?

Are you motivated by helping others?

Advice to Management

Have a better transitional structure from the employees that have success and hit early goals that continues while they are in the early stages of their career.

Great Opportunity to Test Drive a Career

Albany, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great on the resume. Realife & hands on experience.

nothing I didnt likeexceept I wish I started prior to senior year.

Seize this opportunity.

What do you want out of a career?

Advice to Management

Interns are like baby birds. They need attention or they will not make it. Continue to offer the excellent support servives.