Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

Opportunity of a Lifetime

Louisville, KY | January 2018 | CURRENT INTERN

Being able to put together plans for individuals and families. I am able to impact their lives while still being an intern. I am able to test drive this career and make sure it is something I want to keep doing. I may be an intern by label but you really don't feel like one. Great support system with other advisors and a team that supports you and helps you through anything you need.

If I had to pick a downer about this internship it would probably be the roller coaster of emotions that comes with it. BUT that's just part of it. If you can handle it you can be successful.

Comments

This is absolutely the opportunity of a lifetime. You are going to find so much out about yourself and at the very least will know whether or not this is the right career path for you.

Best for Personal Growth and Professional Devlopment

WI | October 2017 | CURRENT INTERN

Northwestern Mutual was able to surround me with great people that cared about my personal development. The growth that I saw during the internship was immense. Not only did I see growth in myself but also those around me.

Rejection that is a part of any sales position. Learn to push past objection

Comments

Be confident and coachable. Look to challenge yourself and understand that it may not be easy at the start. Trust in the process and success will follow

The most elaborate Internship in America

Orlando, FL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

You find yourself

The calling

Come ready to work hard and network a lot within and outside of the office

An incredible opportunity with unlimited benefits

Albany, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture within company is amazing. You receive education and mentoring from successful Financial Services professionals. You can make a lot of money. You bringing incredible value to the people that you meet with.

It is tough to emerge as a financial representative as an intern. You faced a lot of adversity, as with anything in life.

I wish I knew that the organization desperately desires for me to be successful and to continue on with them.

Advice to Management

The company could increase its employee retention rate.

Build your Career

Memphis, TN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The flexibility, compensation, and recognition.

It takes driven individuals

It's very flexible

Interns grow personally and professionally while having an impact on their clients' future

Chicago, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting with clients and developing language and sales skills to encourage taking action towards financial security.

The fact that a lot of interns don't give it their all and end up leaving so much growth on the table.

I wish I knew about how accountable the leadership was. They want to see you succeed because they have a direct interest in your success. They are great people. You can be skeptical all you want, I was too, but in the end the impact we have is the real work that we do, and you will get to see that.

Advice to Management

Retention is tough with this internship, I would engage the interns through accountability structure with the new interns.

What do you want to get out of this internship?

Living the career, not observing somebody else doing it.

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

There was no easing in period, the internship is the career.

The freedom to do create your own calendar might be a little too lax for many students.

I think the NM training program is perfect.

Best real world experience to know if you want to become a financial planner, without the financial stress of being out of school.

Provo, UT | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

paid, flexible hours, great mentors, real life learning (not stapling and scanning), learning about a job before the social pressures of being graduated come.

It was hard seeing so many people filter themselves out of the internship as they realized it wasn't for them. But I made a lot of friends along the way!

Don't anticipate getting paid for 3-6 months because you can't force people to make decisions right away. Therefore, if you need money, come in with a 3-6 month emergency fund already built up.
Make friends with someone who has been successful, so that you can go to them with questions and they can have empathy when you are going through hard times.
Find as many ways to set goals and hold yourself accountable to those goals as possible
Do as much joint work as possible

Advice to Management

They should stress more shadowing experiences advisors to learn how to work with wealthy people earlier on.

I can't remember, that was 9 years ago

Best Internship in the U.S. that is open to all Students

Chicago, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

the training and development

waking up early :)

Treat this like a full-time opportunity from day 1, it could be the best decision you make in your life

Advice to Management

nothing

Tell me about your journey thus far

start your own business today

Hartford, CT | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

the ability to have your own clients and build your own practice

commission can be hard in college

this internship was by far way better than expected. you play the role of a full time rep while still in school. it allows you to build up your client base before even graduating.