Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

Incredible Experience

Columbus, OH | July 2016 | CURRENT INTERN

Great experience for anyone that is looking for a real life internship. This is not some internship that has you do everyone's dirty work and run errand. In this position, you are actually beginning your own business. This job is not for everyone though. You should be open to being uncomfortable and putting yourself out there. There is unlimited to potential to move up in the company through this internship and convert to full-time. The people here are incredible and I will take this experience with me forever. Not to mention that this is a top 10 internship nationally and it will look great on any resume. Not to mention the compensation is also limitless depending on how hard you work.

This is not a career path for everyone. You should be more on the extroverted side and open to being uncomfortable at times.

Comments

Make sure that you have people to reach out to for financial planning purposes. Anyone is a good candidate, just make sure you are more extroverted than introverted.

Get ready for an experience that will shape you personally, professionaly, and financially!

Irvine, CA | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The training and mentorship.
The challenge it brings forth.
Earn as much money as you work for.
The people we work with and are mentored by.
Values like integrity are frequently taught and are shown by example.
You learn soft skills (communication, prospecting, negotiation, etc.) and hard skills (building plans, learning about the insurance and investment world).

Requires a great amount of hours and hard work in order to make money doing it.
You are constantly challenged to push through the pressure asking for referrals.

You will learn so much if you just give it all you can in a minimum time span of 6 months.
Do what they tell you! It can be easy to second guess and go your own way. The firm is over 150 years old. Listen to their experience.
Pursue your goals, but never compromise the client's best interest!

Advice to Management

The supervisors should show a little more respect for the interns. Listen to the interns' concerns and help them with their perspective instead of just telling them to do the right things.

I really cannot remember much about their questions.
It is important to show you are personable, and can hold a conversation well.
Ask the interviewer questions.
Be engaging!

I took the challenge and it was the best decision of my life.

Minneapolis, MN | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexibility. Pay. Training. Building your own business. The people/culture.

Initially I did not like the fact that I had to do a lot of traveling. But that changed when I started scheduling meetings in the office. It also can get frustrating when people reschedule/cancel meetings on you last minute.

It takes a lot of hard work and dedication. But it is the best experience you could possibly ask for out of an internship.

Advice to Management

Better explanation/easier process through the onboarding/interview process (which I know is/was being worked on) to help get candidates through the process quicker.

What motivates me the most.
Where do I see myself in 3 years, 5 years, 10 years.
What was the biggest hardship/problem that I had to overcome and how did I do it? What did I learn from it? What would I have done differently?

A summer of personal and professional growth.

Minneapolis, MN | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Helping clients and learning a ton!

I worked a lot more than my other college friends.

Be ready to work harder than all of your friends.

Advice to Management

More help when transitioning from the internship to full-time.

Why would you be a good fit for this career and what are you most worried about?

Best Company in America Looking for Best and Brightest Interns in America !

Rochester, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

training, education, flexibility, comp.

nothing is bad

You get to run your own business and test drive a career. You will learn about your strengths and be coached by top class people.

Think outside of the mindset. Perfect

Tampa, FL | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

leadership excellence/commitment
the investment NM makes for its interns is outstanding
I found my family and can't thank them enough for their support

I hate making phone calls, but the training helped me get through it

Get ready to WORK.

Advice to Management

Hold the rest of the office as accountable as you do interns. Lead by example.

Best Real World Experience

Hartford, CT | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real World Experience

Extremely Difficult

Sell to your family!

Best internship ever.

Columbus, OH | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Freedom of schedule, skill development, getting to build my own client base, compensation.

Phoning for new appointments.

Really give it your all. Focus on dialing and prospecting.

Advice to Management

Making sure to keep promises on incentives.

A progam where you learn an important career while having a huge impact on your community, and still having fun!

Newport Beach, CA | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The compensation. The schedule structure. The culture. The opportunity to travel to company events.

The independence of it is hard at times.

To be a successful intern, give the tasks your all. Nothing is "given" to you in this internship, it is what you make it.

Advice to Management

Possibly to consider having higher stipends.

What obstacle/challenge did you overcome and how did you learn from it? What are your future career goals?

Learn to be comfortable being uncomfortable!

Stamford, CT | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Personal growth, challenge, unlimited income potential, real world experience

At first I was apprehensive to start calling prospects, but quickly learned the importance of meeting and helping strangers to impact their lives

Bring as many qualified suspects as you can, and view this as a full time job opportunity. View the long term potential, not the two or three months of your internship, as a full time career.