Northwestern Mutual Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #1 Best Financial Services Internships  /  #5 Best Overall Internships

Excitingly eye opening experience into the financial services industry
Providence, RI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

real world experience

I can't say that their was anything I disliked.

you own your own business

The greatest opportunity of my life.
Raleigh, NC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I got to build my own buisness. I even hired my first employee while I was a senior in college. I also got to work face to face with clients and really help them.

You are starting a business and if you treat it as such it can take a lot of time.

Be open and willing to really give this a shot and put in the work to find out if this is a good fit for you.

Advice to Management

A little more training on specific contracts and products could not hurt.

You can create your future
Minneapolis, MN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The ability to be my own boss and control my schedule in addition to the amazing training

To be honest there really isn't any aspect of the internship I don't like. While there were aspects I liked better, there aren't any aspects I didn't enjoy

This opportunity is a fast paced and self motivated opportunity. This career is not going to be handed to you. It is hard work, but the hard work is worth it.

The process didn't feel like an interview, it felt like a conversation. The questions asked were more about what my dream job would be and what my goals are.

Advice to Management

I can't think of anything specifically to improve.

Maximize Your Ability To Succeed
Indianapolis, IN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture was incredible as well the leadership that I attained. It opened my mind to a different style of thinking.

Commission, but the stipend helped.

If you have an entrepreneurial spirit and want to work hard, this is the perfect experience.

Name a time that you have faced adversity?

Advice to Management

More incentives and competitions to make us work a bit harder.

Great Opportunity
Harrisburg, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

No maximum earning potential, flexibility in schedule, real life learning experience.

There were no negatives about this internship.

Bestcompany in the financial services industry.

Got to have the menatlity to do whatever it takes to succeed.
Los Angeles, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The fact that you get to make your own schedule, training and development are top notch, and you really get the opportunity to see how life really works.

The fact that I had to call people everyday and try to set them up for meetings.

Do the work and make sure this is what you really want to do.

You're Options are Endless
Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting my experience before graduation was key, setting up my business to be a well oiled machine.

None, I had an unbelievable experience.

Don't let your fears get in the way of your potential.

Why did you apply for this internship?

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to get the freshman and sophmores in as AFR's to learn the business.

For those who are or want to be the best of the best, give Northwestern Mutual a shot. There's no downside.
Seattle, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The training is fantastic. Learning about such important topics like financial planning, budget analysis, and running a business can't be replaced. Whether or not an intern goes full-time with the company, they'll be a better person and more employable after the internship. The office culture is fantastic as well. I love the competitive nature because everyone wants to succeed as badly as they want to breathe, but they also want to see others succeed. They want to be the best by beating the best. Tons of great, fun people, and the internship strikes a perfect balance - for me - between professional and fun. The pay is unbeatable to.

It's such a copmetitive field, that there is a ton of turnover in the industry. It can be hard to befriend someone as you're watching them fail out of something that they want badly.

Some people simply aren't cut out for this career. It's extremely independent, and a lot of people don't like the fact that they're 100% responsible for their income and lifestyle. Others may not like that it's 100% commission based. I'd say try it and really submit yourself 100% to it before you decide it's not for you. The people who make this a career are really, really happy. It'd be a shame to not make the most of such a good opportunity.

First interview is very stereotypical, but less formal. Tell me about yourself. Strengths/weaknesses. What's your 5, 10, and 20 year plan. Tell me a time of adversity, etc. The second interview is super unique and really cool. They ask us to put together a powerpoint presentation covering a series of questions and trying to sell ourselves to the company. Things like: why this industry, why this company, what are your goals, what makes you different, what motivates you, what do you want from us, etc. This is where we ask them some questions as well to figure out if it could be a fit for us. The third interview is with our potential mentor to hear more about the career, expectations, and get a chance to really dig deep and as questions. They want to see from us the same things that anyone else does, but it's super cool to talk to a mentor rather than a recruiter during the interview process.

Advice to Management

Overall communication can be spotty sometimes. Whether it's requirements for a competition or conditions to get paid, they're not always as clear as possible. That's probably just a bureacracy issue, but it can be annoying. Other than that minor issue, I'd say keep doing what they're doing, finding great kids, and training them to be the best version of themselves.

Real life experience
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting with clients, learning what the actual career is like

A lot of training

If you want to own your own business and have face-to-face interaction with clients, also the coaching is great!

Do you want to be rewarded for your efforts/performance

Advice to Management

More activity on the campus

What is Your Maximum Potential?
Minneapolis, MN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The ability to make as much money as you could imagine. It is really nice to not have a salary cap. I love the flexibility that I have to take off from work whenever needed or to make my schedule work better with a prospects.

There wasn't anything I didn't like about my internship.

Work hard and you will reap the benefits early