Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

Northwestern Mutual College intern

Columbus, OH | July 2016 | CURRENT INTERN

Mentors
Great work environment
No cap on the amount of success you can have
Great personal/ business growth

Very little guaranteed income
A lot of prep to get done before you can start the internship

Comments

It is a great environment to grow and push yourself to step outside of your comfort zone. The best thing about the internship is the amount of growth you see in yourself. It is personal and professional growth. You also have access to so many resources to help you be successful. You are rewarded for ALL of your effort and there is no cap on the amount of success you can have!

You will gain an innate sense of time management as well as obtaining critical financial knowledge for future use.

Other (US) | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Conversing with others, building relationships, the flexibility to create your own schedule, when hard work pays off and you receive paychecks above and beyond what a typical college student can expect to earn.

Worrying that I'm giving the clients I work with the wrong impression and that they may think I'm in it for selfish reasons.
Dealing with the underwriting process.

Network, stay involved, continue to expand groups that you build relationships with and be a good person to everyone you meet.

Advice to Management

Clarifying and assisting in what needs to be done to jump through the hoops of the underwriting process.

3 Strengths, 3 Weaknesses
Why Northwestern Mutual?

A make-it what you want internship where success to driven my individual motivation.

Phoenix, AZ | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Joint work
Training
Office environment
Award Recognition

Little intern coordination (due to lack of interns)
Diversity of joint work

The biggest and most challenging aspect is whether you can drive yourself to do the activities even when they are no expected.

Self- Discovery leads to awareness, and awareness leads to positive action...

Atlanta, GA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Hands on experience in the business as a producing representative. It revealed so much about an individuals capacity to drive revenue and create a sustainable business. I loved helping clients and challenging myself

Honestly, I like everything about it. However, it was difficult managing my emotions as a non-traditional intern, being a 29 year old adult it was hard at times to reconcile the fact that I left a full time job to be an intern. It was definitely the right decision for me though.

Make the most of your opportunity. This is so much more than a resume builder; it is an exercise in self discovery...

Advice to Management

For the internship in particular, I believe the company could be better served by mixing in a few more non-traditional students. I believe it would elevate the energy, and increase the overall work capacity of the group.

Do you take naps? We don't need nappers...
What time do you generally wake up in the morning?
Are you willing to persevere when things get difficult?
How long do you stick with a difficult task before moving on to something else?

Build your own business and experience large personal and professional growth.

Ft. Worth, TX | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Knowledge gained. Skills gained. Personal growth and development. High compensation potential.

Difficult to get going.

Hit the ground running and don't hesitate. Learn to say next and realize rejection is not personal.

Advice to Management

Organizational/procedural process can be unorganized and confusing.

Defy the Odds

Princeton, NJ | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning how to run your own business and truly being treated as a new fulltime rep. While my friends were working in restaurants or doing unpaid internships where they get bossed around, I was running my own practice and building my book of business.

It was difficult to do something so drastically different compared to what everyone else was. The hours were long and I worked harder than anyone else I knew. However, it was well worth it and I'd do it all again. The only other downside was working with other interns that didn't take it as seriously as I did. I had to make sure that I separated from the group since most of them didn't take the job seriously and I didn't want to be brought down.

Treat it like a fulltime job. Find the people in the office who are really performing at a level that you want to be in 5 or 10 years and learn from them. Don't just do what everyone else is doing- think and act independently and like a real business owner.

Advice to Management

Weed out interns that aren't doing the job quickly. They are toxic.

What are you doing to do to set a new standard? Why will you change the world?

Build your best lifestyle

Washington, DC | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

the prospects of the future with the company

hours are long to be successful

don't come here if you don't want to work hard

Real World Experience, grow your own business while helping others achieve their dreams!

Milwaukee, WI | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexibility, income potential

It is hard work, but worth it.

IF you want to get paid what you are worth and are willing to work hard then this is a great fit for you.

Direct insight into life as an independent financial advisor

Albany, NY | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Full Control, independence, laid ground work for the opening of a buisness

It's uncomfortable calling people you haven't seen in years. But its something you simply have to deal with.

Have them sit in on a real meeting with a client of a successful rep (if the client agrees). This is all they'll need to see

Advice to Management

Having a mentor was an important factor in my success thus far.

It was all about my "Why" and what I want out of life. Achieving these things in a corporate, salary based setting would leave the outcome up to someone else.

Characteristic challenging and life changing

Milwaukee, WI | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people who supported me throughout and the team atmosphere. Talking about what makes clients happy and having deep relationship strengthening conversations.

The amount of work I put in just to get rejected every now and again.

Follow the granum numbers and listen to the leadership team. Never stop being yourself though. Your clients will buy you, not a fake you.

Advice to Management

All I would want to say is have case studies to help interns know exactly what to do in situations. And treat their clients like everyone else no matter how much money they have or how little you might get paid on it.