Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

College Financial Representative Review

Troy, MI | June 2015 | FORMER INTERN

You learn a lot in training, and it is not only a great resume builder, but a great opportunity to learn a lot about financial products.

It's a lot more sales than made out to be, very much like selling insurance as that is their bread and butter

Comments

It is a great experience, but you really have to be prepared to be in a sales mode far more so than an analytical mode.

Success is waiting for Everyone Who is Willing to Work for It

New Orleans, LA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best parts of the internship are the fact that I have the ability and capability to run my own business. I set my own appointments, do my own amount of work, and am compensated accordingly. I can hire and fire employees, and I can market my business to the public, all driven by myself. Nobody tells me how much I make, or what I'm worth on the balance sheet this year. I make my own income, build my own relationships, and love life and people more every day because of it.

This internships is often marketed as a "you can get rich fast" deal. Thats the impression given. While you certainly can build wealth faster than almost any other profession, the reality is, if you don't put the time or effort into it you simply can't "get rich fast".

If you're trying to get an internship just for the sake of your resume, pass this one up. This is a time consuming, life changing internship. It can only be that if you put forth serious, mature, tenacious effort consistently for at least 6 months.

1. What are your goals?

2. What are you passionate about besides school?

Advice to Management

Management and training has been world class. If there isn't success in this company, it is due to the lack of effort on the intern or financial representative.

Once in a lifetime opportunity for growth and development.

Minneapolis, MN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

A management team that has no conflicting interests, and wants to do everything to help you grow in your specific talents.

The challenge of not knowing what tomorrow might bring.

If you work with integrity and ethics, this could be a very good fit.

What differentiates you from your peers that would make you an asset to our team.

Advice to Management

Make sure to evaluate the uniqueness of each intern early on in their internship.

Real world experience

Minneapolis, MN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting successful people

Payed on the back end of production.

Work really hard up front and don't slack.

Ideal career and life.

Advice to Management

More staff is always helpful and newer equipment.

Grow as a person as you grow your career

Salt Lake City, UT | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexibility. It also really helps you to become more accountable, more self-motivated, and more responsible as a person. I also loved meeting with different types of people! I became better at holding conversations, and it made me realize that there are an infinite number of ways to live a life.

Honestly, the pay isn't great at first. You have to build up your clientelle through your own personal connections, and while the formula for success is simple, it's not easy! It would have been much easier if there were more of a cushion there to alleviate the stress of low, volatile income upfront.

Do this internship. There's no way to lose-- either you find it's not a good fit, and you move on to something else (but with a top-ten internship to put on your resume), or you find that you love it, and you now have the ability to lock in a career (a phenomenal career at that!). Also, once you do sign on as an intern, DON'T take everything your trainers/mentors tell you with a grain of salt. They really do know what they're talking about when it comes to this business, and the sooner you learn to bite the bullet and follow their recipe for success, the better you'll do and the more fun you'll have.

I don't remember. I did have to do a presentation on one aspect of the company that stood out to me during one of my interviews.

Advice to Management

I think that the internship should be part FR, part AFR based. It would give interns a better idea of where their skillsets lie, and what they enjoy the most.

Flexibility with the ability to make unlimited in one and impact many lives

Jacksonville, FL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to make long lasting relationships

Commissions only

It takes total transformation to believing in the system

Advice to Management

Better training and follow up

Amazing

Seattle, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Helping people everyday. I love meeting new people and the sence of pride i get when i help them reach their goals. The freedom to create your own scheule was perfect becasue i was able to work around school and homework and still have a home life.

The only downfall to this internship was the pay. You do recive weekly stipends to take clients out and cover expenses but i didn't actualy generate an income. It would have been nice to recieve some additonly compensation for the hours i put in. I did recieve comissions but with the limited time i had to with work and school it didn't cover any life expenses just business expenses.

If you are looking for a career where you are your own boss, and get to help people everyday than this is the job for you.

Life Changing Experience

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

the personal and prefessional development. Made me the man I am today.

100% Commision

Utilize people that are better than you at your weakness'

Helping people realize and reach their personal, professional and financial goals while building strong relationships.

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to provide a solution and help people feel self satisfaction and progress in life. Meeting and making new friends through the relationships you build with clients.

Having to be so self disciplined to make sure i did my daily activity. Not a huge con but was the hardest thing for me to do at first.

Make sure you have confidence, self discipline and mental toughness.

Opportunity is here

Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Training and development

calling people

If you want to grow as a person, this is the internship for you.