Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

Northwestern Mutual College intern

Columbus, OH | July 2016 | CURRENT INTERN

Mentors
Great work environment
No cap on the amount of success you can have
Great personal/ business growth

Very little guaranteed income
A lot of prep to get done before you can start the internship

Comments

It is a great environment to grow and push yourself to step outside of your comfort zone. The best thing about the internship is the amount of growth you see in yourself. It is personal and professional growth. You also have access to so many resources to help you be successful. You are rewarded for ALL of your effort and there is no cap on the amount of success you can have!

Fast track to a great career

Lincoln, NE | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning different ideas and strategies and also growing and developing as a person.

It is tough to get the business started when you are 19, but that's my age not the company issue.

If you are hard working and have the drive to be successful you will succeed.

Realistic experience

Albany, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Training, experience and financial potential

Hours commitment, meeting clients at night

Real life experience before committing to a career

Advice to Management

They have made many changes in recent years, adding support staff for interns which was lacking when I was an intern

Real life training and growing a business while in college

Lincoln, NE | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Compensation
Ability to start your business while in school

The variable pay structure compared to a salaried position.

If you do not want to work hard but get fairly compensated for your hard work do not elect this career. Sit in a cubic,e and file papers for someone doing the real job.

Advice to Management

Better excitement around out of office activities.

Why should we hire you?
What will you add to the team?

Financially helping others to help themselves

Milwaukee, WI | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

lots of training
great sales experience
good compensation if you are writing business

weekly training was an hour and a half away, but that was remedied in the school semester by having training via webinars

if you are thinking about taking this internship or making a career as a financial adviser then be prepared for a grind the first few years. It is not easy getting people to openly talk about their finances, especially when they are talking to young people. However, you are encouraged to do joint work to help you gain experience and become more knowledgeable about certain planning areas.

Advice to Management

employee retention is really hard in a position that is 100% commission. If there was a base pay it might help keep people around longer because they don't have to go through such severe ups and downs of the sales cycle.

Asking what I wanted in my life. They were focused on what I wanted to achieve and helped build the career as a vehicle to get there.

learning how to sell

Tampa, FL | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

great company

loved it all

its hard work, but well worth it!

Advice to Management

none

Northwestern Mutual: Personal growth by getting outside your comfort zone

Madison, WI | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Personal and professional growth

Hard to manage time with conflicting demands

Do your best

You will gain an innate sense of time management as well as obtaining critical financial knowledge for future use.

Other (US) | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Conversing with others, building relationships, the flexibility to create your own schedule, when hard work pays off and you receive paychecks above and beyond what a typical college student can expect to earn.

Worrying that I'm giving the clients I work with the wrong impression and that they may think I'm in it for selfish reasons.
Dealing with the underwriting process.

Network, stay involved, continue to expand groups that you build relationships with and be a good person to everyone you meet.

Advice to Management

Clarifying and assisting in what needs to be done to jump through the hoops of the underwriting process.

3 Strengths, 3 Weaknesses
Why Northwestern Mutual?

A make-it what you want internship where success to driven my individual motivation.

Phoenix, AZ | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Joint work
Training
Office environment
Award Recognition

Little intern coordination (due to lack of interns)
Diversity of joint work

The biggest and most challenging aspect is whether you can drive yourself to do the activities even when they are no expected.

Self- Discovery leads to awareness, and awareness leads to positive action...

Atlanta, GA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Hands on experience in the business as a producing representative. It revealed so much about an individuals capacity to drive revenue and create a sustainable business. I loved helping clients and challenging myself

Honestly, I like everything about it. However, it was difficult managing my emotions as a non-traditional intern, being a 29 year old adult it was hard at times to reconcile the fact that I left a full time job to be an intern. It was definitely the right decision for me though.

Make the most of your opportunity. This is so much more than a resume builder; it is an exercise in self discovery...

Advice to Management

For the internship in particular, I believe the company could be better served by mixing in a few more non-traditional students. I believe it would elevate the energy, and increase the overall work capacity of the group.

Do you take naps? We don't need nappers...
What time do you generally wake up in the morning?
Are you willing to persevere when things get difficult?
How long do you stick with a difficult task before moving on to something else?