Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Log in to Submit a Review

The ability to build a business through real-life experience on a proven path for success. In business for yourself but not on your own.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people: I worked with (other interns), I was trained by (directors/mentors), prospects I met with, and the clients I was able to help. The overall satisfaction of making a significant difference and then being compensated appropriately.

Rejection is never fun. However, overtime you learn to embrace rejeciton as a necessary step in making progress. The more "No's" you hear, inevitable the more "Yes's" you receive.

Northwestern Mutual is in business to serve its clients, as a mutual company we are "owned" by our clients and thus every decision made has those we serve in mind. This thought process is central in the way our home office conducts business and is carried forward by our field force, our financial advisors. As an intern, you have the ability to carry our mission forward, to help people acheive financial security while learning a great deal about yourself. You will gain real-life experience in building a business and have the support of a world class company and a top 10 internship every step of the way.

Advice to Management

Spending more time in the beginning on the importance of managing time, being coachable, and handling rejection would be helpful. Not just explaing these three but discussing the "How-to's" invloved in managing your calendar, asking for and receiving feedback and embracing rejection.

I learned more from this internship than any other experience I have ever had.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people in leadership positions are very focused on helping me grow both as a professional and as a person. I love meeting with clients and potential clients to have a conversation about ways I may be able to help them.

Being in the office by 7:30am is an expectation.

There is a ;lot of hard work involved in this internship; it is not a copy-making, coffee-getting internship. You will be doing exactly what the full-time agents do. It is a great way to test drive this career to see if it is a good fit for you.

Difficult but rewarding
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexibility and the ability to get real life work experiences. Lots of opportunity for professional and personal growth.

Lots of training requirements, expenses of running your own business.

Its a fantastic company, but at the end of the day you have to go out and sell. That makes people uncomfortable. You need to buy into the system and it will be greatly rewarding.

Advice to Management

Make it clearer that this internship is about sales and learning on the job. You aren't going to analyze stocks all day.

Challengind opportunity to have real-world experience in the financial services industry.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

My professional development has greatly increased. I am a more confident professional and have discovered my potential to strive for goals, and map out a plan to reach them both in work, life, and school.

Rejection is always tough and it's hard to get used to.

This internship is for those who want to challenge themselves to reach a higher level of experience, confidence, and self-determination. This company does fantastic work for alot of people and can give you the opportunity to discover if this industry is right for you. No matter what, your experience will yield returns in all aspects of your everyday life.

Advice to Management

Employee retention is tough, though it could be greatly increased with a more stern interview process to assure the internship is right for them before they begin.

A fantastic company that gives you the chance to build your own practice while your in school.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Networking with professionals, the lifestyle of being able to set own schedule, only working with people I like.

You can sometimes go a couple weeks without a paycheck, which sucks while your in school.

Be prepared to work your tail off the first couple months / years. You have to be mentally prepared to take rejection from family and friends. You are going to recommend solutions that without a doubt fit your prospects situation and you know they have the means and the ability to take action, but you have to realize that only 33% of the people you ultimately talk to are going to become clients.

Advice to Management

I want more competitive people to work with. My peers are not competitve enough and I have not been able to reach my full potential as a result of lack of motivation to do ones absolute best.

Great way to test drive the career
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Knowing that you made a positive impact in someones life

I don't really have a thing that I disliked, but one regret that I have is not putting in the extra effort to network more locally since the internship was not in my home town. By not doing this in the internship it has made it harder to keep a full calendar as a full-time rep.

Make sure that you are self motivated. If you are not then the experience will most likely not be fun and you will not get a full picture of what a career with this company can mean for yourself and the people that you work with.

A great way to learn about the career of a financial planner
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The freedom and flexibility as well as the real world experience. No one made you do anything it was entirely on each individual.

No guaranteed income.

This internship is a great way to see if you want to be self employed and if you want to be in the financial planning business.

Great way to start a career young, make money and help others.

The pay.
The people
Learning finance
Helping others
Learning how to act professionally

Time consuming
Tough parts of the job

If you are a hard worker and willing to jump all the way in and really listen to your mento you can succeed.

Advice to Management

More product knowledge for interns that have been there for a long time.

Given opportunity to do the actual work of a full-time financial representative at a lower activity level.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The training and ability to do joint work with seasoned verterans in a company that is well respected in the industry. Was able to impact the lives of the people in my inner circle and those I was introduced to by providing them with a sense of financial security.

Overcoming rejection every step of the way in the sales cycle.

This internship is not for everyone but it is at the very least worth a try.

Test Drove A Career
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning about a career in this field with an Industry leader while learning a great deal about myself along the way.

It is hard work, if you are expecting a place where you don't do anything and just build your resume than this is not the place.

This career is an amazing career but it isn't for everbody. The internship gives you a great chance to test drive a career and learn if this is something to consider as a career or cross it off of your list of choices but at least have a great experience as an intern.