Intern's Greatest Opportunity for Success
San Francisco, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

My mentor, other interns, the whole Internship program staff, other CUDs, and my MD Michael Byrne are part of what makes this internship so great to me.

The experience I have in this industry surpasses almost anything my friends do or anyone as a college student. The real world experience is something I never dreamed of.

nothing. I really have no dilikes about the program.

If you are strong willed, dedicated to working for yourself, you are a people person, you want to learn, are open-minded, and you can step out of your comfort zone; then this is the job for you.

Advice to Management

bigger stipends for those who excel and teach other interns.

UNLIMITED POTIENTIAL TO MAKE AN IMPACT FROM YOUR CLIENT'S and YOUR FINANCIAL FUTURE
Scottsdale, AZ | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Opportunity to truly start your own business.

Hard, no income guearuentee

MAke sure the step has a long-term view in mind

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

A test drive of an incredible rewarding career. Northwestern's Internship offers endless potential for growth and income.
Boston, MA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

This business rewards individuals who are willing to put in the work. If you hate failing more than you love winning, this internship is an excellent fit, that will also provided substantial financial rewards.

If you are not overly social or driven this can be a hard career path to take.

You need to be respected by you peers and willing to reach out to individuals who are further along in their career than you are. You need to be comfortable with rejection, and willing to train until you know how to move past it.

Advice to Management

I honestly believe the internship could be more selective. Plenty of internships at top tier ibanks just feed busy work to the interns and then have them make one or two presentations on individuals research during the summer. This internships is very demanding from the start and requires serious initiative. Work is not going to be given, it must be sought out, which requires a specific type of individual.

The greatest opportunity to transform your life.
Manchester, NH | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Knowledge/education, training, real world experience, communication, marketing, sales, being part of a team.

I struggled on the income-side of the internship at first since it is a commission based job.

Imagine your life in 3,5, and 10 years. Imagine all of the things you want to accomplish, all the lives you want to impact, and all of the income you would want. It is like learning to drive a manual transmission. Fear of stalling in 1st gear is what makes us hesitant. Once you figure out how the clutch works, and you start giving it some gas, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th gear are all in front of you. Nothing can slow you down. The amount of pride and appreciation you will gain for yourself, as well as the attainable lifestyle you earn, cannot be summarized in a few words. Opportunity is something that is developed by good timing and hard work. You will need both of these to excel, and only you can do it for yourself and your family.

Advice to Management

More training for new hires/interns. Hands on, day to day teamwork and training. More education around process, products, and language.

A true testament of "Test Driving a Career" in Financial Services.
Little Rock, AR | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

- networking

- professional experience

- flexibility

- income potential

- industry knowledge

Although there is a lot of training and development, diving into a financial services career while being in college is daunting. My experience started out with me feeling in the dark about how to get the ball moving. In the end, you just have to jump in.

Northwestern Mutual's intership experience, if approached like a full-time job, will give you more professional and personal growth in the given time frame than any other internship opportunity. It will better you whether the career is meant for you or not.

Great experience
Fargo, ND | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

All the help you need

Learned a lot

did a great job

Advice to Management

hours and organization

Tampa Prodigy Becomes Financial Planning Rockstar With Miami's Northwestern Mutual Office
Miami, FL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Running your own business

Learning from the best advisors in the business

I had an assistant that the company paid for while I was in college because I am a top producer

Having class when I wanted to work instead

If you want to be a financial adviser or planner this is the best company to do it with. No matter what company you join, you must build your own client base. As an intern you take other advisers on appointments with you and learn the business from them. Their confidence in the business becomes your own.

Helping provide others with peace of mind
Birmingham, AL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Mentoring and resources available

Did not have much training

Do the homework in full

Advice to Management

The minimums are very high in order to challenge us

If you work hard, you can earn and develop yourself tremendously. If not, go somewhere else.
Charleston, SC | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning how to build a practice, mentoring, helping people, having a large impact on my clients and community, leaving college with a signing bonus, small client base, and skill to succeed in the industry.

You are responsible for your work and results, and there is no one else to blame. I wish I had worked harder, because now that I am in the industry full time I realize how much better use I could have made of the program. If you are not going to work hard, it is a terrible oppportunity.

NMFN is a great place to start a career, I decided to leave interning with another firm for them based upon the reccomendations from family, my mentors, and a current producer from another firm who said if he was going to start over he would have started here.

You will get to do holistic financial planning, and having a balanced practice including insurance is not only in the best interest of the client but also yourself as you are building your practice. As young as you are, many of your initial clients will have insurance before investment needs.

Work hard. If you do not want to, go somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Perfect. Go back in time and tell me to work harder(My mentor did).

It works if you do
Saint Paul, MN | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

opportunity, culture, challange

it was a bit of a scramble

it works if you do. Could be a blessing for you and your future family

Advice to Management

build relationships and recognize hard work.