Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

Financial Rep Intern

11580, NY | April 2015 | FORMER INTERN

Name brand recognition, good resume builder, learn some sales training and techniques

It's a sales position, you are forced to call your close family and friends and feed off of their contacts, have to make cold calls, don't really learn to many skills transferable out of sales. Plus it is basically unpaid with no base earnings, but you do get to earn commission off of any sales you make.

Comments

Definitely considering taking their internship for name recognition, if you are interested in insurance they have a pretty good reputation in the industry.

An opportunity for real world experience and professional development

Chattanooga, TN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real world experience

Gain a lot of knowledge in the financial services industry

Mentors to help you

The way some people view you after calling on them

Make sure that you have a strong market and a lot of connections

Advice to Management

Training was repetitive. Have new topics and seperate the ones that are ahead of others so they can continue to learn new things

AWESOME

Tampa, FL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Applicability

cold calling

If you want to learn business, this is the only thing you need to know!

Advice to Management

none

Decent sales training, had the opportunity to learn alot about the insurance industry. There are better opportunities for talented grads.

San Francisco, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Amazing office culture with talented sucessful and driven people. Great place to learn about financial services and get your foot in the door as a young grad or college student. You will recieve very good sales training and communcations skills.

The contracting process takes FOREVER. Interns must know that they cannot get paid on stipends for up to 2 months of working at the firm. 100% commission pay structure makes it difficult for recent college grads to stick around. Those who succeed here will likely get far better and more competative offers for sales positions in other firms. Managment needs to be realistic with interns about expectations regarding payment.

After fasttrack, the firm didnt provide too much on going learning, this responsibility falls on the intern's mentor. While my mentor was fantastic and taught me alot, other interns have had a drastically differant experiance.

The lack of retention is not good for moral.

If you are in college and dont have to pay too much out of pocket, then this is a fantastic place to work. Dont expect to make much if any money at all. Use it as an opportunity to learn about financial services and sales. This is NOT for everyone, you need to have a type A personality and be comfortable with people.

Advice to Management

Training is the most polished and proffesional part of the program, I am assuming it is this way because they have to do it so often given the poor intern/full time retention. The nature of this industry lends itself for a long sales cycle, it can be tough for a new grad to handle this without any form of compensation. Most wealth managment firms and sales organizations provide a base salary for at least the first 6 months. I would highly reccomend a small base after some metrics are met (power 10) in order to increase retention and boost moral. If you want to retain your talent, you MUST step it up with some kind of base salary compensation.

Diversity is great with plenty of differant people from differant backrounds. The hours are what you make them. You can show up 7am-6pm or from noon until 4pm, its really up to you.

It can get exhausting calling on friends and family and can be damaging to relationships.

Some form of call training and lead generation services for new interns can help.

Great opportunity for personal and professional growth

Other (US) | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting new people

Phoning is the worst part of the day

Just do it

Advice to Management

Its already a great organization

it's is a preview of what it would be like to work as a full time rep at NMFN. I's about 1/4 of the work a full time rep has to do.

Los Angeles, CA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

wintercamp and attending the Annual Meeting in Milwaukee.

I personally had a mentor that was not as expirience as i would have desired. He had me do a lot on my own because he didnt want to waste time on small cases like mine.

they must have a set schedule amount of time each day solely dedicated for the intership program, aside from trainig meetings. Set time to phone, set time slots for apppointments, etc.

Advice to Management

I think that there is no diversity in the whole company in general, as a 'non- caucasion ' person i felt very secluded throughout all of the events I attended. I found myself alone a lot of the time and had no one to really open up to. I think i would have done a lot better if i would not have felt so secluded from the office and the company in general. Diversity is definaatly something that is holding Northwertern Mutual back from growing into different markets and developing people with so much drive. Ipersonally was successfull but only because I am self motivated not because i ever felt motivated by anyone in my office.