Northwestern Mutual Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #1 Best Financial Services Internships  /  #5 Best Overall Internships

For those who are or want to be the best of the best, give Northwestern Mutual a shot. There's no downside.
Seattle, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The training is fantastic. Learning about such important topics like financial planning, budget analysis, and running a business can't be replaced. Whether or not an intern goes full-time with the company, they'll be a better person and more employable after the internship. The office culture is fantastic as well. I love the competitive nature because everyone wants to succeed as badly as they want to breathe, but they also want to see others succeed. They want to be the best by beating the best. Tons of great, fun people, and the internship strikes a perfect balance - for me - between professional and fun. The pay is unbeatable to.

It's such a copmetitive field, that there is a ton of turnover in the industry. It can be hard to befriend someone as you're watching them fail out of something that they want badly.

Some people simply aren't cut out for this career. It's extremely independent, and a lot of people don't like the fact that they're 100% responsible for their income and lifestyle. Others may not like that it's 100% commission based. I'd say try it and really submit yourself 100% to it before you decide it's not for you. The people who make this a career are really, really happy. It'd be a shame to not make the most of such a good opportunity.

First interview is very stereotypical, but less formal. Tell me about yourself. Strengths/weaknesses. What's your 5, 10, and 20 year plan. Tell me a time of adversity, etc. The second interview is super unique and really cool. They ask us to put together a powerpoint presentation covering a series of questions and trying to sell ourselves to the company. Things like: why this industry, why this company, what are your goals, what makes you different, what motivates you, what do you want from us, etc. This is where we ask them some questions as well to figure out if it could be a fit for us. The third interview is with our potential mentor to hear more about the career, expectations, and get a chance to really dig deep and as questions. They want to see from us the same things that anyone else does, but it's super cool to talk to a mentor rather than a recruiter during the interview process.

Advice to Management

Overall communication can be spotty sometimes. Whether it's requirements for a competition or conditions to get paid, they're not always as clear as possible. That's probably just a bureacracy issue, but it can be annoying. Other than that minor issue, I'd say keep doing what they're doing, finding great kids, and training them to be the best version of themselves.

Real work experience while building your own business.
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real experience, builiding a client base for myself, learning professional skills that can be applied to any industry, and being held accountable for my own business.

It was largely commission based, but there were other stipends and financial incentives.

This company and business rewards high work ethic. What you put into this, is what you will earn out of it. It is incredibly rewarding.

Tell me about a time you had to overcome something and what you did to do it?

What is your biggest fear?

Describe your dream job.

Advice to Management

Be more upfront about the dress code during the hiring process. It would also be helpful to have a different training/orientation for interns with a certain level of experience instead of resending them back through training with new hires.

A competitive, fun, and challeneging way to learn the indusrty
Pittsburgh, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I learned more than I did in school. I was able to grow up as an individual while getting real life experience. I didn't have to grab coffee or do administrative work.

It was stressful at times.

Everybody should at least give it a shot. I never thought of this as a career when I started, but I gave it a chance and now I am here.

What makes you a good fit?

Advice to Management

I think it is fine the way it is. As long as you take the internship seriously and are coachable you will learn more than in any other internship.

Got to have the menatlity to do whatever it takes to succeed.
Los Angeles, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The fact that you get to make your own schedule, training and development are top notch, and you really get the opportunity to see how life really works.

The fact that I had to call people everyday and try to set them up for meetings.

Do the work and make sure this is what you really want to do.

You're Options are Endless
Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting my experience before graduation was key, setting up my business to be a well oiled machine.

None, I had an unbelievable experience.

Don't let your fears get in the way of your potential.

Why did you apply for this internship?

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to get the freshman and sophmores in as AFR's to learn the business.

Great Opportunity
Harrisburg, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

No maximum earning potential, flexibility in schedule, real life learning experience.

There were no negatives about this internship.

Bestcompany in the financial services industry.

Growth: professionally, but more importantly personally
Minneapolis, MN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Starting your career before you graduate.

The internship is not easy. It can be difficult for others to take you serious in regards to their finances when they aren't sure if you will be here in 3 months.

If you are willing to work hard an create your own future and be 100% in control of your life there is no better place to be.

My interview process was based around my goals and dreams and Northwestern trying to make sure this was a good fit for me.

-what was a difficult event in your life and how did you overcome it.

Advice to Management

Based on industry averages our retention as a firm almost quadruples the chance of success if you come from our internship. We need to and are continuing to work on diversity within our firm.

Great oppritunity to meet and help a lot of people in a very meanigful career.
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

helping people and flexible schedual.

I dont really have something about the internship that i didnt like. i thought it was very well put together.

Dont hesitate ondoing this just becauseit is commision. This is an amazing experience!!!

Have you ever been in a management situation? If so, explain.

Advice to Management

I truely would noy improve my og\rganization at all!!! my advice to management would be to keep doing what your doing.

Rewarding
Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Experince

Training

Compensation Potential

Competitions

I cant think of anything I would improve

Do the advised work and this will be the best experince ever.

I saving important to you?
Indianapolis, IN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Growing personally and professionally

There are no cons. If you are motivated to succeed, it's hard not to

Come in open minded and prepared to work hard