Northwestern Mutual Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #1 Best Financial Services Internships  /  #5 Best Overall Internships

4.7 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 378 Intern Reviews)

An amazing opportunity to build your own financial planning practice and gain real world experience.
Akron, OH | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship with Northwestern Mutual is the ability to gain real world experience of starting up and running your own financial planning business, with no personal capital needed to invest up front. Learning life/business skills that would help in any career path, such as enhancing communication and time management, increased self confidence, and finanical planning knowledge helpful in your own personal life and business. Interns have the same opportunities as fulltime representives in building their client base. The independence, control of schedule, positive impact of interactions with clients, and a limitless income potential.

I did not have any negative experiences with my two years as in intern with Northwestern Mutual.

Understand that this opportunity is not meant for everyone. Individuals who are open minded, willing/wanting to learn, and that are not afraid of working hard to get great rewards should apply. The company does a great job in supporting an interns growth and development, but it is meant for people striving for growth and experience.

What are you looking for in a career? Do you have aspirations of running your own business? What is your why?

Advice to Management

The company needs to continue to support it's representatives in training, education, and industry changes as it consistently does.

Incredible sales opportunity to become a financial advisor with Northwestern Mutual!
Boulder, CO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The independence while still getting a lot of training and development. The unlimited financial opportunity to make more than any other interhship in the world

It was all up to me!

Your resutls and compensation will be directly correlated to your hard work, skills/development, and coachability.

What is your 1 and 3 year vision personally, professionally and financially?

Advice to Management

Make sure they know it is a sales opportunity, that is why it is uncapped financially and why their is so much flexiblity

Phenomenal
Syracuse, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

One of the best aspects of the internship is having the opportunity to test drive a full time career and obtain great work expereince. I have obtained a vast amount of skills that could be used in many other jobs and fields through my intenrship at Northwestern Mutual. Another great aspect of the internship is flexibility. Having the ability to set your owns schedule to work around your college schedule allows students to work year round and maintain their practice.

The most difficult thing about the internship is time managment. I had a very difficult managning my time with a high amount of responsibility and accountability expected.

If you are looking for an amazing opportunity to test drive a full time career and work with some of the best planners in the industry, there is no other place to be.

Advice to Management

There really isn't much that I would change. I think Northwestern Mutual is an amazing company and a great place to work. Compensation is great as long as you put in the work and effort. Northwestern Mutual has some of the best training and development programs I have ever seen. I would advise management to continue doing what they are doing!

The oppertunity of a LIFE TIME
Portland, OR | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

You get to test drive a career

Being self empoyed and having to learn to organized my own day. Not having someone telling me when it was due.

Test drive the career and get to know the carecter of the organization and find out if it will be a fit for you.

Independence, real life training, professional development, and amazing income potential.
Des Moines, IA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Culture and relationships

getting used to being up so early

Hit the ground running to recieve full benefits of program.

Tell me your best accomplish and why it is your best.

How involved on campus were you.

Advice to Management

Make sure they know its a career, not a summer job you show up to 2 days a week.

Want to be the only dad at 1:30pm soccer practice on Wednesday? Want to make a difference in peoples lives? Want to control income? Join NM.
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people within Northwestern Mutual actually cared to see us grow. They wanted the best for us.

The copy machine broke a lot...

Don't let the hard work scare you off. The amount of hard work anything in life takes is proportionally equal to the amount of return you get.

Most careers offer the same deal: Work hard, and if you want a promotion work harder. If you want more income and promotions work harder AND give up your time. If you still want more income and promotions work harder, give up your time, AND give up the option to be there for your family. As you go up the ladder you may gain money and career progression, but you sacrifice your personal and family success. it's painful any way you look at it. At NM, if you put your hard work in up front, you won't only gain income, you gain career significance, AND time to be there for your family. Do you want your pain now, or later? It's your choice.

To get offered my position I went through 4 interviews. I also took a aptitude test. I met recruiters, fiancial advisors, and my offices Managing Direct. They told me everything; the good, the bad. I saw ample plans, products. I learned how the company was structured.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in the company to make us relevant in the market place, so we can have more impact.

Life impacting experience
Indianapolis, IN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Excellent training and joint work access. Ability to run my own business.

It can be frustrating running your own business at the age of 21.

Why not test drive a career with a company that always receives high accolades from those who have gone thru the intership?

Advice to Management

Either simiply the topics we can speak to prospects about or figure out how to get us licensed quicker.

Taking my shot at the most challenging, exciting, and rewarding career out there.
Nashville, TN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The fantastic people that you interact with on a day to day basis and the astonishing amount that you learn through experience with Northwestern.

How challenging it was. But there is no way around that. It's a challenging industry and only the best will survive.

It's the most amazing opportunity out there. They give you everything you could ever need to be successful. It's your job to go make it happen.

Has there ever been a time in your life where you have had to battle through adversity to accomplish something that was important to you?

Advice to Management

Possibly improving compensation in the early years, but the compensation for long time advisors is outstanding so it gives you something to strive for.

young man gains invaluable experience while interning at Northwestern Mutual
Minneapolis, MN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Ability to learn the business and learn what is like to be your own boss.

Calling on prospective clients on a cold call basis

If you enjoy working with people and impacting their lives, this is an outstanding career to consider.

Advice to Management

More hands on training, more specific direct support of the representative as they are learning the business.

Intern earns thousands by helping indivuals and families become more financially secure!
Salt Lake City, UT | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Personal growth and development. Opening the door to a rich, fulfilling carreer.

Selling - which involves a lot of rejection.

Northwestern mutuals corporate culture is unique. The culture is extremly proffessional and exudes doing the right thing. I can't imagine a better opportunity. I've been full time for a while and have a very strong income, freedom and flexibility over my time and most of all I make a positive difference in my clients lives.