Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Log in to Submit a Review

Life changing experience. Knowing full well from the years of interning that this is what I want to do for the rest of my life.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I got to be my own boss and had all the coaching and mentorship I needed. Worked with clients and helped people on a day to day basis.

The only negatives from the internship came from me (whether I didn't do the right amount of activity). Interns are definitely dealing with rejection on a daily basis, which may be hard for some to overcome.

Amazing opportunity that may only happen once in a lifetime. You are learning real world skills and can impact people on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Maybe more accountability to interns who go back to school during the fall and spring semester.

Testdriving a full time career with unlimited potential. Training is immaculate.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning experience. Deciding what I wanted to do with my future. Becoming a financial advisor and dealing with financial planning everyday excites me.

Structure. I was basically my own boss from day 1. It is tough coming in as a college student and not having any structure or anyone telling you what to do from 7am-3pm. I basically set my own hours, and appointments.

The sky is the limit. If you want to make $50,000+ right out of college, this is the best place to start.

Advice to Management

Strucutre. It was difficult to stay on task or decide what exactly I wanted or needed to do each day. It was hard to motivate myself. Might be different for others.

Internship experience creates unimaginable impact on friends and family
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Freedom to build a business and be respected like an adult.

Calling on the phones can be hard.

It's a wonderful program for a hard working person looking to create their own success.

Advice to Management

Larger stipend up front as not all college kids can rely on their families to buy a suit, put gas in the car, etc.

Incredible platform to become a financial advisor!
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Doing what I would be actually be doing if I made this my full-time career.

So much to learn, which is also why it was awesome!

Even if it is not the right career fit, you will learn more about yourself that will help you exponentially in whatever you choose. You will also build professional relationships at a young age that is hard to replicate elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Retention

Financial planning internship
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Helping the people that I care about with their financail plans.

Wanting to work full time while in school was difficult

You will get out of the internship what you put in, work hard and follow the Granum system.

Real world experience with an opportunity to significantly impact lives.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Compensation potential, actual experience, prestige and resume building.

No local office at the time.

The financial servies career is the most amazing opportunity for the right person. The internship allows you to test drive the career without the downside of the entrepreneurial risk one experiences

An amazing learning opportunity while making a meaningful impact.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

All the training and personal development.

Dealing with people telling me no when I knew they needed what I had to offer.

It isn't easy, but it is very rewarding.

It doesn't get more real than this! By the time I graduated I was off and running with an amazing company with a limitless future.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

You actually do what full-time reps do. There's no front desk/paper crunching about this. You work side by side with some of the most successful advisors in the nation. The education and experience is invaluable.

Can't say there were to many things a didn't like. Cold calling would have to be the one thing I didn't like

Well from a company stand point, Northwestern Mutual is viewed as a top company in the financial services industry. You don't have to wory about company recognition. The name speaks for itself. Everyone I've met that works here will do everything they can to make you successful. They really care about you and your future. Just an overall great experience.

A real life, hands on experience, providing impact, independence, personal/professional growth and some nice compensation!
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

It was not a desk or paper pushing internship, it was very hands on and by the end of it you knew if you wanted to continue to full time or not.

To be young in the industry was a challenge

This internship will prepare you for any full time career, even if it does end up being with Northwestern Mutual. You wil grow tremendously as a personal and professional. However, you will only get back as much as you put into the internship.

This internship was the equivalent of a Masters Program in 6 months.

Culture, personal growth.

There were not any cons I can remember about the internship.

This internship is rewarding; however, it is the road less travelled. Take the challenge!

Advice to Management

Better development once involved in the program.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)