Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

An opportunity to mature; personally, professionally & financially.

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Support, Office culture, Training, Entrepreneurial, Real life person to person interaction

It's hard work. If you're not ready to mature, it may not be a fit.

If you're looking for a career where income is relatively unlimited, you have the independence to design your own work calendar & make your own business decisions, & you want to make an impact on peoples lives, then the career at NM should be entertained. The internship program is the gateway into that career. We urge our college financial reps to testdrive this career to its maximum potential.

Beswt learning and jump start for my career i could have asked for.

Minneapolis, MN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

culture, compensation and learning.

It meant i was starting my career at a young age and had to grow up quickly.

dive in head first and give it everything you have.

Advice to Management

keep the internship as the crown jewel of the northwestern mutual. its our secret sauce!

Amazing Personal Growth!

Albany, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning the real world application of aspects from college! Actually doing it for myself, not having to file or do administrative duties for anyone else!

Nothing, my internship was exactly what I was looking for.

You actually get to do it for yourself! You're not an intern who is actually an administrative assistant like all the other internships I've heard about from friends. You not only grow personally, but professionally as well! They also pay for your licensing, which is something you have on your resume going forward.

Am I a self starter? Am I organized? What motivates me? What's my vision for the future?

Advice to Management

Everything is really good right now. I wouldn't change anything.

In-depth look at a career. No other way to learn as much as by doing. Great chance to test drive what has become a phenomenal career.

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Seeing the industry from the inside out; gained more professioanal experience of learning how to treat others and be treated as a professional; by virtue of the role of a financial rep, you meet an incredibly large amount of people very quickly

There was less structure around my development at the time, but the program has evolved materially since then.

Everything my firm told me about this business has been true.

The oppertunity of a LIFE TIME

Portland, OR | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

You get to test drive a career

Being self empoyed and having to learn to organized my own day. Not having someone telling me when it was due.

Test drive the career and get to know the carecter of the organization and find out if it will be a fit for you.

Northwestern Mutual: Endless Opportunities

Fort Wayne, IN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Challenged me personally and professionally to get outside of my comfort zone and to make a difference in people's lives.

I wish I could've done it longer.

If you are driven and want to push yourself to maximize your God given abilities this is a great opportunity for you.

Phenomenal

Syracuse, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

One of the best aspects of the internship is having the opportunity to test drive a full time career and obtain great work expereince. I have obtained a vast amount of skills that could be used in many other jobs and fields through my intenrship at Northwestern Mutual. Another great aspect of the internship is flexibility. Having the ability to set your owns schedule to work around your college schedule allows students to work year round and maintain their practice.

The most difficult thing about the internship is time managment. I had a very difficult managning my time with a high amount of responsibility and accountability expected.

If you are looking for an amazing opportunity to test drive a full time career and work with some of the best planners in the industry, there is no other place to be.

Advice to Management

There really isn't much that I would change. I think Northwestern Mutual is an amazing company and a great place to work. Compensation is great as long as you put in the work and effort. Northwestern Mutual has some of the best training and development programs I have ever seen. I would advise management to continue doing what they are doing!

A real world test drive of a career in financial services.

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting with prospects and clients; training/education of financial products; leadership development; compensation

Nothing, really.

Be prepared to work hard and face rejection--but it is all well worth it.

Don't remember

Advice to Management

No recommendations

Independence, real life training, professional development, and amazing income potential.

Des Moines, IA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Culture and relationships

getting used to being up so early

Hit the ground running to recieve full benefits of program.

Tell me your best accomplish and why it is your best.

How involved on campus were you.

Advice to Management

Make sure they know its a career, not a summer job you show up to 2 days a week.

Want to be the only dad at 1:30pm soccer practice on Wednesday? Want to make a difference in peoples lives? Want to control income? Join NM.

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people within Northwestern Mutual actually cared to see us grow. They wanted the best for us.

The copy machine broke a lot...

Don't let the hard work scare you off. The amount of hard work anything in life takes is proportionally equal to the amount of return you get.

Most careers offer the same deal: Work hard, and if you want a promotion work harder. If you want more income and promotions work harder AND give up your time. If you still want more income and promotions work harder, give up your time, AND give up the option to be there for your family. As you go up the ladder you may gain money and career progression, but you sacrifice your personal and family success. it's painful any way you look at it. At NM, if you put your hard work in up front, you won't only gain income, you gain career significance, AND time to be there for your family. Do you want your pain now, or later? It's your choice.

To get offered my position I went through 4 interviews. I also took a aptitude test. I met recruiters, fiancial advisors, and my offices Managing Direct. They told me everything; the good, the bad. I saw ample plans, products. I learned how the company was structured.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in the company to make us relevant in the market place, so we can have more impact.