Northwestern Mutual Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #1 Best Financial Services Internships  /  #5 Best Overall Internships

Top 10 Intership that will help you grow as a person and professionally
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Sky is the limit on where I want to take this thing. And the relationships that I've been able to take with me, being with my co-workers or the relations built within my clients.

Calling up people is one of the things that everyone in our industry dislikes at first, just got to power through.

Do the deed and you will succeed. People make this harder than what it really is, its all mental on most days just got to power through.

Personal and Professional Growth
Peoria, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting outside of my comfort zone.

There wasn't really anything I didn't like.

Northwestern Mutual is a company that lives their values. The client comes first in every situation.

Great Opportunity to Test Drive a Career
Albany, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great on the resume. Realife & hands on experience.

nothing I didnt likeexceept I wish I started prior to senior year.

Seize this opportunity.

What do you want out of a career?

Advice to Management

Interns are like baby birds. They need attention or they will not make it. Continue to offer the excellent support servives.

Life impacting experience
Indianapolis, IN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Excellent training and joint work access. Ability to run my own business.

It can be frustrating running your own business at the age of 21.

Why not test drive a career with a company that always receives high accolades from those who have gone thru the intership?

Advice to Management

Either simiply the topics we can speak to prospects about or figure out how to get us licensed quicker.

Independence, real life training, professional development, and amazing income potential.
Des Moines, IA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Culture and relationships

getting used to being up so early

Hit the ground running to recieve full benefits of program.

Tell me your best accomplish and why it is your best.

How involved on campus were you.

Advice to Management

Make sure they know its a career, not a summer job you show up to 2 days a week.

Creativity and Elegance required
Pittsburgh, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Pay, time flexibility, leadership, "open -doorness", expirence

Nothing

Be ready to become exposed to the real life of a CEO right away. Quick decisions that need to be good are required and you must become and expert at balance and efficiency.

Tell me about a time you failed at something and how did you learn from it.

Advice to Management

I don't believe the organization needs to improve here. Obviously you can always to do better with the aforementioned items but I believe NM's internship program truly should be ranked #1 in the company

You get out what you put in
Springfield, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

You schedule your own time. Meet with the people you want to meet with. Whatever effort you put in is what you will get out of the internship

It takes time to get paid because of the cycle

Set a goal and decide to reach it. Then dont stop until you do

What is your willingness to ask for help from coaches and mentors?

Advice to Management

I would change nothing, perhaps more willingness to cover costs of Representatives, however the more skin I have in the game the harder I will be working

A competitive, fun, and challeneging way to learn the indusrty
Pittsburgh, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I learned more than I did in school. I was able to grow up as an individual while getting real life experience. I didn't have to grab coffee or do administrative work.

It was stressful at times.

Everybody should at least give it a shot. I never thought of this as a career when I started, but I gave it a chance and now I am here.

What makes you a good fit?

Advice to Management

I think it is fine the way it is. As long as you take the internship seriously and are coachable you will learn more than in any other internship.

Growth: professionally, but more importantly personally
Minneapolis, MN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Starting your career before you graduate.

The internship is not easy. It can be difficult for others to take you serious in regards to their finances when they aren't sure if you will be here in 3 months.

If you are willing to work hard an create your own future and be 100% in control of your life there is no better place to be.

My interview process was based around my goals and dreams and Northwestern trying to make sure this was a good fit for me.

-what was a difficult event in your life and how did you overcome it.

Advice to Management

Based on industry averages our retention as a firm almost quadruples the chance of success if you come from our internship. We need to and are continuing to work on diversity within our firm.

An amazing opportunity to build your own financial planning practice and gain real world experience.
Akron, OH | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship with Northwestern Mutual is the ability to gain real world experience of starting up and running your own financial planning business, with no personal capital needed to invest up front. Learning life/business skills that would help in any career path, such as enhancing communication and time management, increased self confidence, and finanical planning knowledge helpful in your own personal life and business. Interns have the same opportunities as fulltime representives in building their client base. The independence, control of schedule, positive impact of interactions with clients, and a limitless income potential.

I did not have any negative experiences with my two years as in intern with Northwestern Mutual.

Understand that this opportunity is not meant for everyone. Individuals who are open minded, willing/wanting to learn, and that are not afraid of working hard to get great rewards should apply. The company does a great job in supporting an interns growth and development, but it is meant for people striving for growth and experience.

What are you looking for in a career? Do you have aspirations of running your own business? What is your why?

Advice to Management

The company needs to continue to support it's representatives in training, education, and industry changes as it consistently does.