Greatest opportunity to get your feet wet in a career before graduating college.
Irvine, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being my own boss and having the flexibility with my schedule that I needed for school. Also having the chance to do the same work as other full time representatives.

It is difficult at times and can be stressful. Extremely challenging but helps you develop as a professional.

Don't be afraid of the challenge. One of the only opportunities that allows you to test drive a career while in college.

Become a leader in the community, at home and in life.
Fort Lauderdale, FL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning about human behavior

Learning that people are irrational beings and can be driven by emotions

You will learn how to always be financially secure.

Advice to Management

Be up front about the difficulties of a career in financial services

The real deal. You arn't the towel boy off to the side, you are the guy in the middle of the pack, doing the planning.
Rapid City, SD | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

No set hours, unlimmited earning potential, you learn more about personal finance than a college class can teach you, and you are actually the one helping the families, your job is to get out there and protect people while working with one of the strongest companies in the world to assist you.

There isn't a rigid structure, which some people can't handle. it is not easy work, this job is taxing.

Come in ready to work harder than you have with any job. Because you are truly doing the work a beginnning financial representative would do, you have to be ready to work as hard as one. This career is not easy, and succeeding in your intership isn't going to be either. Always do joint work with experienced reps in the office and read and learn as much as you can. When the summer comes, devote yourself to the work, and during the school year try to have at least 2 meetings with someone a week. Also, take the advice of the people who hired you, don't try to reinvent the wheel.

Advice to Management

Check on the interns numbers as much as possible, help them with calling and have them in your office when they are calling so you can help with their language. Take as big of an interest as you possibly can in the interns, they are the future.

Hands on, real life experience.
Princeton, NJ | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being out seing clients.

Mainly I had to focus only during summer, because when I went back to school I was an athelete.

Give it a shot, you will know if this is for you right away.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Real Experience, Real Accountability - you are 100% in charge of your where you take it!
Springfield, MA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Very practical learning and mentoring with an opportunity to launch into an incredibly lucrative career where you have a fantastic impact on people.

It is a challenge to get the ball rolloing.

Go all in and give it 100%, hit the goals you set for yourself - it is the only way to truly see if this is the career for you!

Advice to Management

Continue encouraging College Reps to use their networks (no yellow pages)!

A great way to test the waters in this career field.
Minneapolis, MN | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real life experience, head start on building your client base so if you do go full time you have a base to build off of.

The lack of knowledge as I got started, but the more I learned the better it got. I would assume this to be true anywhere with anything though.

I would reach out to veteran reps as much as possile to learn from them.

The best thing that ever happened to me
Albany, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

the flexiblity in my schedule along w my class schedule as well as the education and training and continous willing to push us beyond our limits and find out truly what we are looking for within a career.

nothing at all

do you see yourself ever being your own business owner? if yes this is the place to be an intern.

Advice to Management

creating an avenue which allows interns to go fulltime already investment licensed.

The experience was life changing, and I grew more in 1 year than I had in all of college.
Minneapolis, MN | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect was the continuing committment to bettering everybody in the organization. Everybody is different, and the company truly recognizes that. Northwestern Mutual realizes that you don't grow proffesionally by running to get coffee for your superiors, so I had never had to do any of that. The fact that I was able to actually run my own business and design my calendar to fit me best was amazing.

Occasionally, the hours were long, but ultimately the more you work, the more reward you got.

When looking at an internship with Northwestern Mutual, don't even concern yourself with the industry, just look at the amazing opportunity to help people and to grow in every aspect of your life. Be ready to work hard, but also know that this is a company that will truly compensate you based on your efforts.

Advice to Management

We lack some diversity in both gender and race, but it does not necessarily harm the workplace environment.

At Northwestern we will not help you get what you want, but we will help be who you want.
Virginia Beach, VA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The training. It's extensive and thorough. Otherwise the fact that you are running your own practice from day one with the help of mentors and not running to make coffee every day. You're doing the exact same thing as someone in the business for 5 years.

I loved it. It was hardwork, but it was extremely rewarding!

Do it! You will not regret it! Even people I have spoken with who did our internship, but are now with different companies, credit Northwestern for where they are today. That's huge!!

Advice to Management

I like that there was a minimum stipend, but we could earn as much money as we wanted as long as we put in the work to earn it. I will be with this company until the day I retire. This should be a space to thank management.

Test-driving a career as a finanancial representative for Northwestern Mutual
Milwaukee, WI | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

real life experience as a financial representative

difficulty of the process of getting started and gaining credibility as a young professional

the internship at Northwestern Mutual is a great way to experience the career on a part-time bases without having to take as much risk as starting full-time right off the get go.