Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

Maturing & Growing as a Professional while Helping the People You Care about Most

Tucson, AZ | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Always learning, actively involved in meetings with other advisors, growing confidence to build a practice, helping others with creative solutions, designing financial plans for families and providing significant value and meaning to what I was doing

Needs a little more organization of curriculum on weekly meetings, but very good training so nothing too much

Very elite, over-dress rather than under-dress. Internship has been Top 10 for multiple years so impress and be proactive. Discuss with others what it is like as a career, especially those who were once interns as well

Advice to Management

Community Involvement

What does running a business look like?
How successful is successful to you?
What motivates you?
What's the most important thing to you?
What would you want to achieve here?

Northwestern Mutual Delivers a Superior Internship Experience....Far From Making Coffee in a White Collar World.

Fargo, ND | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The flexibility to build your business prior to graduation with the strongest firm in the industry at your back. Day to Day support is strong and unbiased.

I would like to have a clear picture of the huge impact of joint work as a new advisor intern.

This is a self-driven business. The average millennial needs to park the entitlement at the door and become an unassuming adult.

Advice to Management

Spend time with your interns as you would with your clients. Mature and grow their strengths for the greater good of your community and relationships.

This internship gives you real life experience on what it takes to run this business

Lincoln, NE | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Having a mentor to meet with every week

There is no guarantee that you will get paid every commission run.

This is a great opportunity to build a business and have the flexibility to do it on however hectic of a schedule you have. This give you the opportunity to build up a business and start a career while you are still in college.

Want an Internship that grows you as a businessperson as well as a better human being, while setting you up for unlimited sucess?

Other (US) | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Tremendous growth both personally and professionally. Obtain tremendous knowledge of industry

The only, Cons I feel, are the daily battles against yourself to stay motivated people aren't asking the phones or meetings cancel.

Great support and guidance. Great benefits and compensation opportunities. Freedom to grow your own practice, but support like an employee.

The internship is an incredible head start on my full time career as a financial advisor.

Cedar Rapids, IA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Schedule flexibility, income potential, office culture.

Nothing in particular that I disliked.

If you are going to do it, you have to be all in. This is not a halfway in type of business. If you want to set yourself up for a great career, or earn great experience for another career, you have to dive in full-hearted.

Advice to Management

Management did an incredible job training and setting me up for success. Nothing comes to mind that could have been done better.

How do you deal with rejection?
What are 3 words you would use to describe yourself?
What are 3 words your best friend would use to describe you?

It is less of an intership and more a jumpstart of a career!

Worcester, MA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real work with real clients. The mentoring was awesome and resources to learn more were everywhere.

It was a huge challenge to develop a client base in an area of the country where I didn't know many people outside of college. This did teach me that I did not want to rely on cold-calling for a successful career and taught me the value of relationship building.

If you are looking for an opportunity to explore owning your own Financial Services Firm, I can't imagine a better opportunity with better training, better pay and the jumpstart of your career while still in school.

Advice to Management

The more focus that can be made on developing relationships to network the better. I believe this has been address since I was an intern.

Very extensive testing to ensure there was a personality fit for the position. I do not remember specific questions

Win some or win big

Minneapolis, MN | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Hands on experience, even if this isn't the career for you, you will be better prepared for whatever path you take. One thing for sure is you will benefit over your lifetime from having had this experience, getting an early understanding of financial matters will pay big dividends for you and your family

Finding prospects, always trying to get favorable introductions

If your are interested in this career I believe Northwestern Mutual has the best platform to benefit the client. You have an exclusive to NM and at the same time can be independent. Risk management and wealth management tied to a financial plan customized to the client, its very powerful and can have a great impact on your clients lives.

Advice to Management

Make the focus on the platform to help advisors have the best technology and deliverable to the marketplace.

What is your why? Can you get to where you want to get to in your current opportunity?

Started from the bottom Now we're here!!!

Memphis, TN | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The flexibility, training, and growth opportunities.

It's commission based, but it allowed me to receive what I was worth!

I was able to grow from intern to the College Unit Director over the internship in 2 years!

Unlimited growth personally and professionally.

Other (US) | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Impact/Income/Independence

The rejection of prospects

We are looking for those motivated and ready to work hard.

Phenomenal career opportunity