4.7 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 378 Intern Reviews)

Taking my shot at the most challenging, exciting, and rewarding career out there.
Nashville, TN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The fantastic people that you interact with on a day to day basis and the astonishing amount that you learn through experience with Northwestern.

How challenging it was. But there is no way around that. It's a challenging industry and only the best will survive.

It's the most amazing opportunity out there. They give you everything you could ever need to be successful. It's your job to go make it happen.

Has there ever been a time in your life where you have had to battle through adversity to accomplish something that was important to you?

Advice to Management

Possibly improving compensation in the early years, but the compensation for long time advisors is outstanding so it gives you something to strive for.

Awesome!
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with clients

I Liked all aspects of the internship program at Northwestern Mutual

Work hard and you will be rewarded. It was a great experience!

Enriching the lives of others and being paid well for it
Columbia, SC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Interacting with and improving the lives of people who know they need help.

Wearing a suit

Self discipline is the most valuable attribute for someone in our organization

Where are you in three years? What have you accomplished? What are you most proud of?

Advice to Management

Promoting the opportunity to more people

best professional decision i have made in my life
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

being full-time as an intern, you do exactly what you the full-time advisors do

the only downside of the internship is you have to get out of your confort zone immediately. that's why so many people fail at the internship becusae its not hard and nobody can make the calls or build your business for you. but if you do fight through those uncomfortable moments. paradise is on the other side.

this internship will never give you more out than what you've put into it. you have to be able to work hard and if you do you will be very successful

young man gains invaluable experience while interning at Northwestern Mutual
Minneapolis, MN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Ability to learn the business and learn what is like to be your own boss.

Calling on prospective clients on a cold call basis

If you enjoy working with people and impacting their lives, this is an outstanding career to consider.

Advice to Management

More hands on training, more specific direct support of the representative as they are learning the business.

In-depth look at a career. No other way to learn as much as by doing. Great chance to test drive what has become a phenomenal career.
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Seeing the industry from the inside out; gained more professioanal experience of learning how to treat others and be treated as a professional; by virtue of the role of a financial rep, you meet an incredibly large amount of people very quickly

There was less structure around my development at the time, but the program has evolved materially since then.

Everything my firm told me about this business has been true.

Incredible sales opportunity to become a financial advisor with Northwestern Mutual!
Boulder, CO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The independence while still getting a lot of training and development. The unlimited financial opportunity to make more than any other interhship in the world

It was all up to me!

Your resutls and compensation will be directly correlated to your hard work, skills/development, and coachability.

What is your 1 and 3 year vision personally, professionally and financially?

Advice to Management

Make sure they know it is a sales opportunity, that is why it is uncapped financially and why their is so much flexiblity

A life changing experience
Syracuse, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexibility, freedom, responsibility, training/mentoring, opportunity to be in leadership as an intern, pay

Hard to do while in school and taking classes

You have to give it a shot to believe anything you will hear or see about it.

Advice to Management

Not much that could be improved

Phenomenal
Syracuse, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

One of the best aspects of the internship is having the opportunity to test drive a full time career and obtain great work expereince. I have obtained a vast amount of skills that could be used in many other jobs and fields through my intenrship at Northwestern Mutual. Another great aspect of the internship is flexibility. Having the ability to set your owns schedule to work around your college schedule allows students to work year round and maintain their practice.

The most difficult thing about the internship is time managment. I had a very difficult managning my time with a high amount of responsibility and accountability expected.

If you are looking for an amazing opportunity to test drive a full time career and work with some of the best planners in the industry, there is no other place to be.

Advice to Management

There really isn't much that I would change. I think Northwestern Mutual is an amazing company and a great place to work. Compensation is great as long as you put in the work and effort. Northwestern Mutual has some of the best training and development programs I have ever seen. I would advise management to continue doing what they are doing!

An opportunity to mature; personally, professionally & financially.
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Support, Office culture, Training, Entrepreneurial, Real life person to person interaction

It's hard work. If you're not ready to mature, it may not be a fit.

If you're looking for a career where income is relatively unlimited, you have the independence to design your own work calendar & make your own business decisions, & you want to make an impact on peoples lives, then the career at NM should be entertained. The internship program is the gateway into that career. We urge our college financial reps to testdrive this career to its maximum potential.