Northwestern Mutual Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #1 Best Financial Services Internships  /  #5 Best Overall Internships

4.7 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 378 Intern Reviews)

Building an impactful business
Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexibility, mentorship and opportunity

You have to create your own consistency and accountability structures

Don't quit if you get frustrated or are forced outside of your comfort zone; quitting is a habit. It is impossible to grow if you don't push yourself.

Phenomenal
Syracuse, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

One of the best aspects of the internship is having the opportunity to test drive a full time career and obtain great work expereince. I have obtained a vast amount of skills that could be used in many other jobs and fields through my intenrship at Northwestern Mutual. Another great aspect of the internship is flexibility. Having the ability to set your owns schedule to work around your college schedule allows students to work year round and maintain their practice.

The most difficult thing about the internship is time managment. I had a very difficult managning my time with a high amount of responsibility and accountability expected.

If you are looking for an amazing opportunity to test drive a full time career and work with some of the best planners in the industry, there is no other place to be.

Advice to Management

There really isn't much that I would change. I think Northwestern Mutual is an amazing company and a great place to work. Compensation is great as long as you put in the work and effort. Northwestern Mutual has some of the best training and development programs I have ever seen. I would advise management to continue doing what they are doing!

Excitingly eye opening experience into the financial services industry
Providence, RI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

real world experience

I can't say that their was anything I disliked.

you own your own business

Northwestern Mutual: Endless Opportunities
Fort Wayne, IN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Challenged me personally and professionally to get outside of my comfort zone and to make a difference in people's lives.

I wish I could've done it longer.

If you are driven and want to push yourself to maximize your God given abilities this is a great opportunity for you.

Help others live courageously and with purpose
Salt Lake City, UT | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

1. Flexibility, I never have to miss something important because of work

2. Helping great people protect their family through insurance

3. Future potential for income is really high

Commission based jobs are very motivating but can be stressful on a family

Be willing to put in the time and effort to be successful, and look past the no’s

Start your own bussiness.
Little Rock, AR | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being my own boss.

The volatility of your work week.

Be prepared to work hard.

Advice to Management

More organization with the contracting process.

An amazing opportunity to build your own financial planning practice and gain real world experience.
Akron, OH | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship with Northwestern Mutual is the ability to gain real world experience of starting up and running your own financial planning business, with no personal capital needed to invest up front. Learning life/business skills that would help in any career path, such as enhancing communication and time management, increased self confidence, and finanical planning knowledge helpful in your own personal life and business. Interns have the same opportunities as fulltime representives in building their client base. The independence, control of schedule, positive impact of interactions with clients, and a limitless income potential.

I did not have any negative experiences with my two years as in intern with Northwestern Mutual.

Understand that this opportunity is not meant for everyone. Individuals who are open minded, willing/wanting to learn, and that are not afraid of working hard to get great rewards should apply. The company does a great job in supporting an interns growth and development, but it is meant for people striving for growth and experience.

What are you looking for in a career? Do you have aspirations of running your own business? What is your why?

Advice to Management

The company needs to continue to support it's representatives in training, education, and industry changes as it consistently does.

Enriching the lives of others and being paid well for it
Columbia, SC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Interacting with and improving the lives of people who know they need help.

Wearing a suit

Self discipline is the most valuable attribute for someone in our organization

Where are you in three years? What have you accomplished? What are you most proud of?

Advice to Management

Promoting the opportunity to more people

An opportunity to mature; personally, professionally & financially.
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Support, Office culture, Training, Entrepreneurial, Real life person to person interaction

It's hard work. If you're not ready to mature, it may not be a fit.

If you're looking for a career where income is relatively unlimited, you have the independence to design your own work calendar & make your own business decisions, & you want to make an impact on peoples lives, then the career at NM should be entertained. The internship program is the gateway into that career. We urge our college financial reps to testdrive this career to its maximum potential.

In-depth look at a career. No other way to learn as much as by doing. Great chance to test drive what has become a phenomenal career.
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Seeing the industry from the inside out; gained more professioanal experience of learning how to treat others and be treated as a professional; by virtue of the role of a financial rep, you meet an incredibly large amount of people very quickly

There was less structure around my development at the time, but the program has evolved materially since then.

Everything my firm told me about this business has been true.