4.7 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 378 Intern Reviews)

Growth: professionally, but more importantly personally
Minneapolis, MN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Starting your career before you graduate.

The internship is not easy. It can be difficult for others to take you serious in regards to their finances when they aren't sure if you will be here in 3 months.

If you are willing to work hard an create your own future and be 100% in control of your life there is no better place to be.

My interview process was based around my goals and dreams and Northwestern trying to make sure this was a good fit for me.

-what was a difficult event in your life and how did you overcome it.

Advice to Management

Based on industry averages our retention as a firm almost quadruples the chance of success if you come from our internship. We need to and are continuing to work on diversity within our firm.

excellent chance to test drive the career
Denver, CO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

great experience in real world

rejection with prospects

stick it out

You're Options are Endless
Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting my experience before graduation was key, setting up my business to be a well oiled machine.

None, I had an unbelievable experience.

Don't let your fears get in the way of your potential.

Why did you apply for this internship?

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to get the freshman and sophmores in as AFR's to learn the business.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Want to be the only dad at 1:30pm soccer practice on Wednesday? Want to make a difference in peoples lives? Want to control income? Join NM.
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people within Northwestern Mutual actually cared to see us grow. They wanted the best for us.

The copy machine broke a lot...

Don't let the hard work scare you off. The amount of hard work anything in life takes is proportionally equal to the amount of return you get.

Most careers offer the same deal: Work hard, and if you want a promotion work harder. If you want more income and promotions work harder AND give up your time. If you still want more income and promotions work harder, give up your time, AND give up the option to be there for your family. As you go up the ladder you may gain money and career progression, but you sacrifice your personal and family success. it's painful any way you look at it. At NM, if you put your hard work in up front, you won't only gain income, you gain career significance, AND time to be there for your family. Do you want your pain now, or later? It's your choice.

To get offered my position I went through 4 interviews. I also took a aptitude test. I met recruiters, fiancial advisors, and my offices Managing Direct. They told me everything; the good, the bad. I saw ample plans, products. I learned how the company was structured.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in the company to make us relevant in the market place, so we can have more impact.

An amazing opportunity to build your own financial planning practice and gain real world experience.
Akron, OH | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship with Northwestern Mutual is the ability to gain real world experience of starting up and running your own financial planning business, with no personal capital needed to invest up front. Learning life/business skills that would help in any career path, such as enhancing communication and time management, increased self confidence, and finanical planning knowledge helpful in your own personal life and business. Interns have the same opportunities as fulltime representives in building their client base. The independence, control of schedule, positive impact of interactions with clients, and a limitless income potential.

I did not have any negative experiences with my two years as in intern with Northwestern Mutual.

Understand that this opportunity is not meant for everyone. Individuals who are open minded, willing/wanting to learn, and that are not afraid of working hard to get great rewards should apply. The company does a great job in supporting an interns growth and development, but it is meant for people striving for growth and experience.

What are you looking for in a career? Do you have aspirations of running your own business? What is your why?

Advice to Management

The company needs to continue to support it's representatives in training, education, and industry changes as it consistently does.

Work hard and noting here is impossible...nothing.
Indianapolis, IN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The company invests a lot of time and resources in a college students growth, that may or may not make it...that astounds me. I learned from the top of the company and their success and failures. I was also recognized for my success. I had the opportunity to lead others in the internship. I also had the ability to change people's lives, as a college student. I don't know if it gets better than that.

the hard work. It takes a lot of work to be in this position.

Work hard and you will succeed...no matter who you are.

Advice to Management

I have seen nothing short of greatness from our management. I would not change a thing, they are the ones that inspire me to do the things I do everyday.

Expereince of a Lifetime
Rochester, MN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Hleping as many people as possible get their Financial house in order. The amount of money you can make is only limited by your success.

Having people say no to you.

Don't predetermine if you'll like this and want to do it forever. Get your feet wet, try it, be coachable, and see where it takes you.

Advice to Management

Don't oversell the Internship. Interns need to know that it is extremely hard but extremely worth while and fulfilling.

Amazing Personal Growth!
Albany, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning the real world application of aspects from college! Actually doing it for myself, not having to file or do administrative duties for anyone else!

Nothing, my internship was exactly what I was looking for.

You actually get to do it for yourself! You're not an intern who is actually an administrative assistant like all the other internships I've heard about from friends. You not only grow personally, but professionally as well! They also pay for your licensing, which is something you have on your resume going forward.

Am I a self starter? Am I organized? What motivates me? What's my vision for the future?

Advice to Management

Everything is really good right now. I wouldn't change anything.

The real deal
Minneapolis, MN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Awesome mentors. Live bullet to the full time career. Positive energy and built in time for fun. Win for clients, win for the company/person if they choose to go full time, win for others who don't go full time as it leads them many times to their next career inadvertently!

People who don't stick in it the whole summer don't see the real picture of opportunity available

Mentors really do care about you, whether this is the career for you or leading you into your next job and being prepared for obstacles you might face

Harrison assessment

Test drive to a financial planning career
Ann Arbor, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real work experience

That I had to go to class with senioritis

Do as you're told. Work the system that has been in place for 150+ years.