Northwestern Mutual Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #1 Best Financial Services Internships  /  #5 Best Overall Internships

Taking my shot at the most challenging, exciting, and rewarding career out there.
Nashville, TN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The fantastic people that you interact with on a day to day basis and the astonishing amount that you learn through experience with Northwestern.

How challenging it was. But there is no way around that. It's a challenging industry and only the best will survive.

It's the most amazing opportunity out there. They give you everything you could ever need to be successful. It's your job to go make it happen.

Has there ever been a time in your life where you have had to battle through adversity to accomplish something that was important to you?

Advice to Management

Possibly improving compensation in the early years, but the compensation for long time advisors is outstanding so it gives you something to strive for.

Enriching the lives of others and being paid well for it
Columbia, SC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Interacting with and improving the lives of people who know they need help.

Wearing a suit

Self discipline is the most valuable attribute for someone in our organization

Where are you in three years? What have you accomplished? What are you most proud of?

Advice to Management

Promoting the opportunity to more people

Incredible sales opportunity to become a financial advisor with Northwestern Mutual!
Boulder, CO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The independence while still getting a lot of training and development. The unlimited financial opportunity to make more than any other interhship in the world

It was all up to me!

Your resutls and compensation will be directly correlated to your hard work, skills/development, and coachability.

What is your 1 and 3 year vision personally, professionally and financially?

Advice to Management

Make sure they know it is a sales opportunity, that is why it is uncapped financially and why their is so much flexiblity

A life changing experience
Syracuse, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexibility, freedom, responsibility, training/mentoring, opportunity to be in leadership as an intern, pay

Hard to do while in school and taking classes

You have to give it a shot to believe anything you will hear or see about it.

Advice to Management

Not much that could be improved

An opportunity to mature; personally, professionally & financially.
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Support, Office culture, Training, Entrepreneurial, Real life person to person interaction

It's hard work. If you're not ready to mature, it may not be a fit.

If you're looking for a career where income is relatively unlimited, you have the independence to design your own work calendar & make your own business decisions, & you want to make an impact on peoples lives, then the career at NM should be entertained. The internship program is the gateway into that career. We urge our college financial reps to testdrive this career to its maximum potential.

Top 10 Intership that will help you grow as a person and professionally
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Sky is the limit on where I want to take this thing. And the relationships that I've been able to take with me, being with my co-workers or the relations built within my clients.

Calling up people is one of the things that everyone in our industry dislikes at first, just got to power through.

Do the deed and you will succeed. People make this harder than what it really is, its all mental on most days just got to power through.

Personal and Professional Growth
Peoria, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting outside of my comfort zone.

There wasn't really anything I didn't like.

Northwestern Mutual is a company that lives their values. The client comes first in every situation.

Phenomenal
Syracuse, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

One of the best aspects of the internship is having the opportunity to test drive a full time career and obtain great work expereince. I have obtained a vast amount of skills that could be used in many other jobs and fields through my intenrship at Northwestern Mutual. Another great aspect of the internship is flexibility. Having the ability to set your owns schedule to work around your college schedule allows students to work year round and maintain their practice.

The most difficult thing about the internship is time managment. I had a very difficult managning my time with a high amount of responsibility and accountability expected.

If you are looking for an amazing opportunity to test drive a full time career and work with some of the best planners in the industry, there is no other place to be.

Advice to Management

There really isn't much that I would change. I think Northwestern Mutual is an amazing company and a great place to work. Compensation is great as long as you put in the work and effort. Northwestern Mutual has some of the best training and development programs I have ever seen. I would advise management to continue doing what they are doing!

Northwestern Mutual: Endless Opportunities
Fort Wayne, IN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Challenged me personally and professionally to get outside of my comfort zone and to make a difference in people's lives.

I wish I could've done it longer.

If you are driven and want to push yourself to maximize your God given abilities this is a great opportunity for you.

A real world test drive of a career in financial services.
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting with prospects and clients; training/education of financial products; leadership development; compensation

Nothing, really.

Be prepared to work hard and face rejection--but it is all well worth it.

Don't remember

Advice to Management

No recommendations