Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

Intern earns thousands by helping indivuals and families become more financially secure!

Salt Lake City, UT | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Personal growth and development. Opening the door to a rich, fulfilling carreer.

Selling - which involves a lot of rejection.

Northwestern mutuals corporate culture is unique. The culture is extremly proffessional and exudes doing the right thing. I can't imagine a better opportunity. I've been full time for a while and have a very strong income, freedom and flexibility over my time and most of all I make a positive difference in my clients lives.

Independence, real life training, professional development, and amazing income potential.

Des Moines, IA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Culture and relationships

getting used to being up so early

Hit the ground running to recieve full benefits of program.

Tell me your best accomplish and why it is your best.

How involved on campus were you.

Advice to Management

Make sure they know its a career, not a summer job you show up to 2 days a week.

excellent chance to test drive the career

Denver, CO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

great experience in real world

rejection with prospects

stick it out

A Life Changing Experience

Iowa City, IA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

You are in control of everything. What you learn, how you do, and the amount of money you make is alomst completely up to you.

It can be stressful.

If you are a goal-oriented person with good interpersonal skills this is a once in a lifetime opportunity that could change your whole perspective on life.

Describe yourself in three words. What are three words your best friends would use to describe you?

Advice to Management

I think that my office has mastered all of these things. There are other offices around the country that need to address the training and retention though.

young man gains invaluable experience while interning at Northwestern Mutual

Minneapolis, MN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Ability to learn the business and learn what is like to be your own boss.

Calling on prospective clients on a cold call basis

If you enjoy working with people and impacting their lives, this is an outstanding career to consider.

Advice to Management

More hands on training, more specific direct support of the representative as they are learning the business.

Beswt learning and jump start for my career i could have asked for.

Minneapolis, MN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

culture, compensation and learning.

It meant i was starting my career at a young age and had to grow up quickly.

dive in head first and give it everything you have.

Advice to Management

keep the internship as the crown jewel of the northwestern mutual. its our secret sauce!

Taking my shot at the most challenging, exciting, and rewarding career out there.

Nashville, TN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The fantastic people that you interact with on a day to day basis and the astonishing amount that you learn through experience with Northwestern.

How challenging it was. But there is no way around that. It's a challenging industry and only the best will survive.

It's the most amazing opportunity out there. They give you everything you could ever need to be successful. It's your job to go make it happen.

Has there ever been a time in your life where you have had to battle through adversity to accomplish something that was important to you?

Advice to Management

Possibly improving compensation in the early years, but the compensation for long time advisors is outstanding so it gives you something to strive for.

Want to be the only dad at 1:30pm soccer practice on Wednesday? Want to make a difference in peoples lives? Want to control income? Join NM.

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people within Northwestern Mutual actually cared to see us grow. They wanted the best for us.

The copy machine broke a lot...

Don't let the hard work scare you off. The amount of hard work anything in life takes is proportionally equal to the amount of return you get.

Most careers offer the same deal: Work hard, and if you want a promotion work harder. If you want more income and promotions work harder AND give up your time. If you still want more income and promotions work harder, give up your time, AND give up the option to be there for your family. As you go up the ladder you may gain money and career progression, but you sacrifice your personal and family success. it's painful any way you look at it. At NM, if you put your hard work in up front, you won't only gain income, you gain career significance, AND time to be there for your family. Do you want your pain now, or later? It's your choice.

To get offered my position I went through 4 interviews. I also took a aptitude test. I met recruiters, fiancial advisors, and my offices Managing Direct. They told me everything; the good, the bad. I saw ample plans, products. I learned how the company was structured.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in the company to make us relevant in the market place, so we can have more impact.

A real world test drive of a career in financial services.

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting with prospects and clients; training/education of financial products; leadership development; compensation

Nothing, really.

Be prepared to work hard and face rejection--but it is all well worth it.

Don't remember

Advice to Management

No recommendations

Personal and Professional Growth

Peoria, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting outside of my comfort zone.

There wasn't really anything I didn't like.

Northwestern Mutual is a company that lives their values. The client comes first in every situation.