Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

Test driving the career of a lifetime!

Chicago, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to get a head start on the career in college and understand if it was for me at a young age

The difficulty of how hard it was but knowing it would make me stronger.

Honestly just give it your all. It's the only way to get the full experience on the program.

Life changing for the best

Kansas City, MO | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Prepares you for the real world in professional, personal, and financial ways that other internships cannot offer.

Not any cons

Take full advantage of this life changing experience.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest time and effort into your inters. They are the future.

Impact Forever

Greensboro, NC | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real life situations! No mock meetings no paperwork for full time advisors, real experience that was impactful!

Nothing, it was fantastic!

Go all in! Do not waste time and look at this opportunity as a "resume booster"!

Great, forced me to grow significantly and learn the business so I can be successful

Newport Beach, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

tons of learning, lots of leadership and flexibility. Was able to help many people and build my clientele.

I don't know of any cons, you get what you put into it.

Do what others tell you to do. They have been in your shoes before.

Get paid to learn and impact others at the highest level possible

Boston, MA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

learning, independence, unlimited income, culture, national culture and inner office culture

needed to work extremely hard to succeed and many other interns did not perform well

How much of an impact I would have on the lives of others.

Advice to Management

Continue the learning opportunities and invest in the highest quality individuals to promote the internship program and help the interns succceed

Had to interview family and friends regarding internship experience and report to employer on how it went

Owning/Building a business

Nashville, TN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting paid according to my worth

It is hard work - not everyone is cut out to build a business.

Start as early as possible and see if it is a good fit.

Advice to Management

Keep interns engaged and add more incentive to perform.

Think you have got what it takes? This is your chance to find out!

Los Angeles, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The relationships I built and impact I left on people.

The negative connotation that exists towards financial services.

do not try to reinvent the wheel!

The best internship out there!

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

-meeting people
-something different every day
-tons of education and continued growth as an individual
-flexibility
-work hard play hard mentality
-Annual meeting in Milwaukee WI where we got free tickets to see Imagine Dragons

I least liked having to call on my family and friends. I wish that I could use our products with premanaged list.

How incredibly hard you are going to have to work. If you aren't someone who wants to work hard for their money this is not the job for you. If you are not a competitive person this is not the job for you.

Advice to Management

Nothing NWM is awesome

Can't remember any

Northwestern Mutual's Internship is the Stepping Stone to Endless Opportunity and Impact

The Woodlands, TX | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The internship is the job. There is no difference from what you do as an intern than what the senior advisors are doing 10-20-30 years in.
Commission. You choose how much you earn.
Training in life skills and systems. Even those who chose not to/ or were not accepted into the full/time opportunity, have gone to use the skills here to do great things. Many are running their own businesses.

This was one of the hardest things I have done. I thought about quitting multiple times. I wouldn't change a thing about it. It is character building.

Be prepared to work hard. This is not an internship where you do nothing all summer and you get to put it on your resume. That doesn't benefit you or the culture of the firm.
Do your best to call everyone you know within the first two days of the internship. The fastest you can accomplish that, the happier and more efficient you will be.

Advice to Management

The employee retention is very low within the first 5 years of someone starting the business. Somewhere around 80-90% quit within their first 5 years. However, those that stay past the 5 year benchmark typically stay for life. (80-90%)
Some things that could be done differently to change the first number is give some reality checks in the interview process. Make sure people know what they are getting into. Additionally, have some strict early minimums. I think it would cause people to produce faster, or get out sooner.

They asked about strengths and weaknesses. They ask if you have a network in or close to the location of your internship.
I had a 3 interview process.
1st interview is really making sure the recruiter/firm likes you.
2-3 interview was a time for you me to ask my questions. Seemed like it was so I liked the company. Each of the people interviewing me answered my questions honestly and directly.

The hardest internship you'll never regret

Albany, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Lots of support from leadership, real life experience, tons of personal & professional growth, unlimited opportunities, growth in personal finance management, great expansion of personal network, continuing education, opportunities to go on trips, unlimited compensation potential, stipends for guaranteed income, high expectations of leadership.

While there is a lot of flexibility because you design your own schedule, you must work long hours in order to really be successful during the summer. If you have the opportunity to continue during the semesters (like I did), leadership is very careful to prioritize school/work balance.

You must be a self-motivated individual to be successful. You don't have to be particularity smart, extroverted, or clever. You do need to be determined, have good social skills, and a big network (or the ability to develop one).

Advice to Management

Honestly, not a lot if anything. We work hard and play hard. We have a very collaborative & competitive culture that stems from an abundance mentality.

"Who is your role model?"