Worth it no matter who you are
Des Moines, IA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

the cultural and mentors i was surrounded by

rejection! People telling you no

It's worth giving it a go...regardless if you get a full time opportunity you'll learn a ton about business/real world and yourself

One of the toughest, yet most rewarding opportunities I have ever been granted.
Omaha, NE | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The flexibility, the hands-on training, the people.

Getting used to a commission-based pay is difficult, but the opportunity to control my income outweighs this con significantly.

If you are going to take this opportunity, it is important to be 100% committed to do the work. If not, you will hate it. The effort you put into this internship directly relates to amount of experience you will get out of it.

Advice to Management

One thing I wish I would have known when I start was that I would be receiveing a 1099 tax form. I didn't know that we would be getting paid tax-free and would end up having business write-offs, deductions, and have to pay taxes/CPA fees!

Terrific
Rochester, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work-life balance

Lack of comfort

If you want balance, and a great environment, this is the place to be

Northwestern Mutual provided me with limitless possibilities. What do you want out of your internship?
Denver, CO | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Leadership, training, ability to build a business, performing the same tasks as full time reps, community impact and involvement, amazing culture, support, and role models.

I couldn't give it the time I feel it deserved. You can pour yourself into the job, and every hour in will come back to you ten-fold. It's like people talking about retirement: "I wish I could have done more, sooner". Once you see the outcome, you wish you had put everything else on hold to pour more of yourself into it. The dividends are amazing.

Dive in and believe the numbers. It all is a numbers game, and once you realize that, you can make it work to your advantage. The harder you work the luckier you get!

Advice to Management

Every point of contact is very important. The hardest part of the job is that you have just enough freedom to screw it up if you don't keep working hard. Everytime someone steps in and asks if you have hit your goals or asks how your day has shaped up, it helps keep you accountable!

The freedom to be as successful as you want to be.
Tulsa, OK | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Friendly culture. Real world experience.

Early mornings.

If you are willing to put forth the work and can keep yourself accountable, then you can be successful.

Advice to Management

Invest more into promotion which would allow potential clients to know we are a reputable company from the beginning.

Last, best opportunity in America
Albuquerque, NM | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Having an impact in people's lives.

Many of the interns did not realize the opportunity that they had been given.

Work hard. This is one of the most difficult jobs out there. Get used to being uncomfortable, but know that is is worth it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Great real world experience with real world income potential on a trial basis
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

real world experience

At times i didn't enjoy how difficult it was and fantasized about taking an internship that was less challenging - but I am SO GLAD I pushed through!

Do what they tell you to do and really give it 100% rather than skating through. If you want to do something easy do not even try this!

A great way to see if this is something you want to do as a career!
Seattle, WA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Professionalism, learning about the financial world and products, getting out of my comfort zone, doing exactly what I would be doing as a full time advisor.

The pay was not as high as other internship programs.

Understanding the sales cycle and the process that Northwestern Mutual takes compared to anyone else.

Advice to Management

Employee retention and compensation

My Greatest Experience in College
Dayton, OH | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Making some of the closest friends that I have as well as building a financial services practice so that when I officially became full-time, nothing changed except I no longer had to leave for school. I did a lot of joint work during the internship and learned a lot more about financial planning than I ever thought I would and it has greatly helped me in the long-run. Mostly, it feels great just to be able to make a difference in the lives of the people in my community. If anything were to ever happen to them that would leave them unable to work or leave their family without a spouse/parent, their finances would be one less thing they'd have to worry about.

Making phone calls (it's all part of the business thought)

Don't think, just make dials and do the activity!

The opportunity of a life time.
Indianapolis, IN | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

the best aspects are that you get to test drive the career before diving in head first.

The Paper work.

If you decide to to take the internship give it your all because the possibilities are unlimited.