Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Log in to Submit a Review

It allowed me to test drive the career before signing on full time and develop a base knowledge in my field while starting to build clients
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture and the learning relevant to my field as well as the chance to help people.

I didn't have a natural market yet, so it was hard to build that right out of the gate

Give it a chance and give your best efforts and you will not be disappointed on what it can turn into.

Advice to Management

Develop the rising starts and spend time with people you see having longevity.

Northwestern Mutual provides its interns with the experience of working as a full-time financial representative with 100% support.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I love the company culture and the support staff behind it. With this internship, the only reason one could have problems is if they get in their own way.

The job itself is not the easiest as you have the same responsibilities as full-time representatives, but there are no complaints about the internship program itself.

No matter what, Northwestern Mutual will give all interns the opportunity to gain professional business experience working with clients of any caliber. The flexibility of the schedule and the additional growth opporutnities that they offer will constantly keep you on your toes and always learning.

Gateway to a full-time career in finance
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being surrounded by veteran guys who would help and train you and willing to do joint work. I wan't an errand boy and I would get out of the internship what I put into it.

Wish we were held more accountable for poor performance

You will get out of it what you put into it. It is not a cakewalk

Advice to Management

Nothing comes to mind

An internship that puts you miles ahead of your peers whether you want to continue on in this field or another field.

Flexibility, Pay, Social, Skill Building

Lack of initial sales skills

Great company with top teir training.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

At Northwestern Mutual, I was taught at an early age in my college career how to be a professional.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The professionalism demonstrated from our Leadership Team.

I have zero negativity towards this internship program.

Working Hard in the early months will pay off later.

The amazing Northwestern Mutual Internship allowed me to come out of the military, replace my pay and benefits, and go to school full time.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The freedom to choose my hours and work with the types of clients I wanted to work with. The pay was great because it was a reflection of the work I did. The harder I worked, the better my pay is. I also really loved the professional culture at Northwestern Mutual, it is truely great and everyone really cares about my success. The recognition and opportunity for advancement are great, I am now in a leadership role and get to work alongside the top leadership and still be an intern.

I only wished that more students would take the opportunity and see if this is a fit for them.

Even if you do not think that this is the right internship for you I would give it a shot anyway. The company makes such an investment in you as an intern and you will gain more experience in a few months than you would have anywhere else. This is real business experience here.

Advice to Management

I have already worked with management in our office to get more internship contests and opportunities out to our group. From big Northwestern Mutual, I would love to see a contest for the Spring Semester.

Real world experience with the best on the job training and support from one of the best companies in the world
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was able to work in a role that was nearly the same as the full time role I have now and have had for nearly 10 years. The mentoring and support was amazing and I truly learned what it was like to be in our industry.

nothing in particular, I accepted a full-time position and I'm still with the company. I will be with Northwestern Mutual the rest of my career.

If someone wants an internship that is based on real world work and gain true experience in the financial advisory field, there isn't a better place to work.

Best Place to Launch Your Career
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The experience of learning how to run my own business and to push myself to things I never thought I could do.

Nothing. I loved everything about my internship.

Northwestern Mutual, in my opinion, is by far the best company to work for in the financial services industry. When they say they care about their clients, they really mean it on the adviser level as well as on the corporate level.

Advice to Management

I cannot think of anything at this time.

Best business and professional experience with superior pay
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The support and motivation I receive from clients, and colleuges.

Rejection and knowing that there was somebody out there that I may not have been able to help

Know that it is a tough business to start in, but it is also probably the most rewarding.

Advice to Management

I feel that as interns we are unable to use some useful tools that the company has which would make us more productive as interns.

Real world work experience that can change the course of your life!
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The flexibility of the program along with a limitless opportunity!

I didnt like being painted as someone who was going to hound people to buy life insurance.

Great opportunity for a self starter who wants control of their future.

Advice to Management

clearer leadership outlines, cirriculum, and benefits.