4.7 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 378 Intern Reviews)

and Get 1 FREE DAY

Taking my shot at the most challenging, exciting, and rewarding career out there.
Nashville, TN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The fantastic people that you interact with on a day to day basis and the astonishing amount that you learn through experience with Northwestern.

How challenging it was. But there is no way around that. It's a challenging industry and only the best will survive.

It's the most amazing opportunity out there. They give you everything you could ever need to be successful. It's your job to go make it happen.

Has there ever been a time in your life where you have had to battle through adversity to accomplish something that was important to you?

Advice to Management

Possibly improving compensation in the early years, but the compensation for long time advisors is outstanding so it gives you something to strive for.

Amazing Personal Growth!
Albany, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning the real world application of aspects from college! Actually doing it for myself, not having to file or do administrative duties for anyone else!

Nothing, my internship was exactly what I was looking for.

You actually get to do it for yourself! You're not an intern who is actually an administrative assistant like all the other internships I've heard about from friends. You not only grow personally, but professionally as well! They also pay for your licensing, which is something you have on your resume going forward.

Am I a self starter? Am I organized? What motivates me? What's my vision for the future?

Advice to Management

Everything is really good right now. I wouldn't change anything.

best professional decision i have made in my life
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

being full-time as an intern, you do exactly what you the full-time advisors do

the only downside of the internship is you have to get out of your confort zone immediately. that's why so many people fail at the internship becusae its not hard and nobody can make the calls or build your business for you. but if you do fight through those uncomfortable moments. paradise is on the other side.

this internship will never give you more out than what you've put into it. you have to be able to work hard and if you do you will be very successful

Northwestern Mutual: Endless Opportunities
Fort Wayne, IN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Challenged me personally and professionally to get outside of my comfort zone and to make a difference in people's lives.

I wish I could've done it longer.

If you are driven and want to push yourself to maximize your God given abilities this is a great opportunity for you.

Awesome!
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with clients

I Liked all aspects of the internship program at Northwestern Mutual

Work hard and you will be rewarded. It was a great experience!

A real world test drive of a career in financial services.
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting with prospects and clients; training/education of financial products; leadership development; compensation

Nothing, really.

Be prepared to work hard and face rejection--but it is all well worth it.

Don't remember

Advice to Management

No recommendations

Personal and Professional Growth
Peoria, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting outside of my comfort zone.

There wasn't really anything I didn't like.

Northwestern Mutual is a company that lives their values. The client comes first in every situation.

Hard work pays off, incredibly rewarding!
Columbia, SC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

A chance to be your own business owner, learn way more than finance, sales, managment, etc.

lots of rejection, very tough

Not for the faint of heart

Advice to Management

Employee rentention is the toughest part, lots of folks don't know exactly what they're getting in to and it's very difficult

Life changing
Denver, CO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being my own boss, and in control of my success. So hands on and not being micromanaged.

Traveling to get in front of people.

This is the greatest company in the world, no company will do what Northwestern Mutual does for their clients and more importantly their reps.

Do you want to run your own business? This is a no brainer.

Advice to Management

Holding interns more accountable.

Want to be the only dad at 1:30pm soccer practice on Wednesday? Want to make a difference in peoples lives? Want to control income? Join NM.
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people within Northwestern Mutual actually cared to see us grow. They wanted the best for us.

The copy machine broke a lot...

Don't let the hard work scare you off. The amount of hard work anything in life takes is proportionally equal to the amount of return you get.

Most careers offer the same deal: Work hard, and if you want a promotion work harder. If you want more income and promotions work harder AND give up your time. If you still want more income and promotions work harder, give up your time, AND give up the option to be there for your family. As you go up the ladder you may gain money and career progression, but you sacrifice your personal and family success. it's painful any way you look at it. At NM, if you put your hard work in up front, you won't only gain income, you gain career significance, AND time to be there for your family. Do you want your pain now, or later? It's your choice.

To get offered my position I went through 4 interviews. I also took a aptitude test. I met recruiters, fiancial advisors, and my offices Managing Direct. They told me everything; the good, the bad. I saw ample plans, products. I learned how the company was structured.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in the company to make us relevant in the market place, so we can have more impact.