Northwestern Mutual Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #1 Best Financial Services Internships  /  #5 Best Overall Internships

Work hard and noting here is impossible...nothing.
Indianapolis, IN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The company invests a lot of time and resources in a college students growth, that may or may not make it...that astounds me. I learned from the top of the company and their success and failures. I was also recognized for my success. I had the opportunity to lead others in the internship. I also had the ability to change people's lives, as a college student. I don't know if it gets better than that.

the hard work. It takes a lot of work to be in this position.

Work hard and you will succeed...no matter who you are.

Advice to Management

I have seen nothing short of greatness from our management. I would not change a thing, they are the ones that inspire me to do the things I do everyday.

A Top 10 internship EVERY college student needs to consider!!!

Mentoring, Training, and Development

the growing pains of getting rejected

Go in with a open mind and be coachable on all aspects of training

N/A

Advice to Management

N/A

The ability to jump start your career and learn the skills necessary to succeed in life.
Tacoma, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The autonomy, resources, support, mentorship, continued education, and ability to make a difference in lives.

Delayed gratification from the time you meet someone to the time that you get paid on the recommendations you help them implement. The career is very difficult to get started in and build a network of clients. The learning curve is very steep because most of the things that are to be learned for financial planning are not taught in school.

If you are long term focused, self motivating, autonomous, hard-working, and persistent, this will be a good opportunity for you. However, if you need immediate results and lack the autonomy to act as a business owner this might be too much of a challenge. You will be asked to step outside of your comfort zone on the daily to continuously grow and learn and you should be okay with challenge.

How do you like to compensated? Monetarily, Recognition, Leadership opportunities?

Tell me about a time you had to overcome a personal struggle or tell me about a time you took on a lot of responsibility.

Advice to Management

I would prefer the recruiters to focus on the quality of potential interns rather than the quantity, as the more interns who have poor experiences because they are not cut out to handle the internship might have negative things to say about the internship when they were not suited for it all along.

In-depth look at a career. No other way to learn as much as by doing. Great chance to test drive what has become a phenomenal career.
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Seeing the industry from the inside out; gained more professioanal experience of learning how to treat others and be treated as a professional; by virtue of the role of a financial rep, you meet an incredibly large amount of people very quickly

There was less structure around my development at the time, but the program has evolved materially since then.

Everything my firm told me about this business has been true.

Expereince of a Lifetime
Rochester, MN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Hleping as many people as possible get their Financial house in order. The amount of money you can make is only limited by your success.

Having people say no to you.

Don't predetermine if you'll like this and want to do it forever. Get your feet wet, try it, be coachable, and see where it takes you.

Advice to Management

Don't oversell the Internship. Interns need to know that it is extremely hard but extremely worth while and fulfilling.

Intern earns thousands by helping indivuals and families become more financially secure!
Salt Lake City, UT | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Personal growth and development. Opening the door to a rich, fulfilling carreer.

Selling - which involves a lot of rejection.

Northwestern mutuals corporate culture is unique. The culture is extremly proffessional and exudes doing the right thing. I can't imagine a better opportunity. I've been full time for a while and have a very strong income, freedom and flexibility over my time and most of all I make a positive difference in my clients lives.

Top 10 Intership that will help you grow as a person and professionally
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Sky is the limit on where I want to take this thing. And the relationships that I've been able to take with me, being with my co-workers or the relations built within my clients.

Calling up people is one of the things that everyone in our industry dislikes at first, just got to power through.

Do the deed and you will succeed. People make this harder than what it really is, its all mental on most days just got to power through.

Great oppritunity to meet and help a lot of people in a very meanigful career.
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

helping people and flexible schedual.

I dont really have something about the internship that i didnt like. i thought it was very well put together.

Dont hesitate ondoing this just becauseit is commision. This is an amazing experience!!!

Have you ever been in a management situation? If so, explain.

Advice to Management

I truely would noy improve my og\rganization at all!!! my advice to management would be to keep doing what your doing.

Personal and Professional Growth
Peoria, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting outside of my comfort zone.

There wasn't really anything I didn't like.

Northwestern Mutual is a company that lives their values. The client comes first in every situation.

A real world test drive of a career in financial services.
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting with prospects and clients; training/education of financial products; leadership development; compensation

Nothing, really.

Be prepared to work hard and face rejection--but it is all well worth it.

Don't remember

Advice to Management

No recommendations