Date: 2013

Real world experience in the financial planning arena.

The amount of learning and hands on Experience

The constant battle to have clients take action in what they know they need to do.

Be ready to work hard and see what life in this career is all about

Advice to Management

Everything is done very well here at Northwestern Mutual and it seems as if they have a great process.

Real World Experience

The skills I learned were vast- I matured alot because of the internship.

It's a very challenging business- sometimes it's hard to get people to talk finances with you when you're only 22 years old.

If you are self-driven and disciplined, this is a great opportunity. If not, look elsewhere.

Hands on experience.

Potential compensation

Pushes you outside your comfort zone.

Although it comes off as a sales position, you are really working to help others.

Date: 2013

Learn to be a financial planner

You were able to really try out the career to see if it is something that you enjoy and have the ability to excel at.

I live further away from the office so I had an hour commute each way

The internship is a great opportunity to see if this is a career path for you. Give it everything you have and you won't be dissappointed because you will either continue on or have invaluable experience in whichever field you choose to pursue

Advice to Management

Higher expecatations of performance so that interns can truly gauge if they will be able to make it a career and support a family

Date: 2013

It allowed me to have a fast start after college

I learned about the pro's and con's of working in the world of finance long before I graduated college

Initially you feel as if you work a lot for very little compensation but that changes in time if you do as they train you.

I would tell them to work jointly with the resources in their office. They are young and have inadequate knowledge so this is not something they can do on their own. The quickest way to learn is to watch the professionals around you.

Advice to Management

I would encourage them to be more selective in who they choose so they don't hurt the reputation of the company.

Date: 2013

The way to find a career not just a job

Build something based on the work you put in, the harder you work the more you make.

commission

work hard, use your resources and you WILL succeed Study the Granum system

Advice to Management

Be patient

Date: 2013

It was a very full-filling experience because of the hands-on learning an intern obtains!!

the flexibility of schedule and the people I worked with were definitely the best parts

It is a bit difficult to build up a business at Northwestern but it is a very fullfilling challenge!

Northwestern Mutual gives you all of the tools you need to be successful if you are willing to work hard! Its also the cheapest way you can start a business!

Advice to Management

Maybe provide a base salary/compensation for employees starting out. As well as more in-depth training on the products

Date: 2013

Help people build a foundation of financial security without the ups and downs of the market

The opportunities that are ahead. Some interns do not have the foresight for what this career brings. It enables the ones that stick out the tough/beginning years with opportunities unimaginable, relating to future lifestyle, flexibility and freedoms

Calling people on the phone is always tough. But it is necessary in order to be successful

Know that you bring 100% value when you work at Northwestern Mutual. Focus on getting in front of people early on and use joint work. Always do what is best for the client. But mostly focus on meeting with people everyday.

Advice to Management

I believe some of the training needs to be updated and that new advisors must realize that this business is slow growing and takes a while to get going

Date: 2013

Impact people's lives and your own for the better.

I just really loved the freedom it offered to run your own business with no overhead or real risk. Starting out that was a big deal to me in order to have best possible opportunity for longevity in this industry.

The fact that hte majority of the compensation was commission based was scary at first, but afterwards I wouldn't have it any other way.

Work as hard as you possibly can from the get go, don't waste a lot of time trying to learn out of a book. Spend your time learning out in the field in real life situations.

Advice to Management

I think more individual attention should be paid to the interns, because there is so much potential there for the future growth ofthe company's field force.

Work Hard, Become Eduacted, Learn to face adversity, Make a lot of money

Flexibility, Support, Didn't work under someone instead I had a mentor who helped guide me in the career.

The rejection.

Come in ready to work hard. The faster you start the more likely you will enjoy the internship.

Advice to Management

They honestly do a good job with being upfront with things.