Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

Independence, real life training, professional development, and amazing income potential.

Des Moines, IA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Culture and relationships

getting used to being up so early

Hit the ground running to recieve full benefits of program.

Tell me your best accomplish and why it is your best.

How involved on campus were you.

Advice to Management

Make sure they know its a career, not a summer job you show up to 2 days a week.

You will grow tremendously personally, professionally, and financially this summer - all while helping people you care about

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

real world experience

making phone calls (but who likes that? :))

If you want to have REAL experience then do this. If you want to have a mindless "job" over the summer do not try it - you will be challenged and will regret this.

An amazing opportunity to build your own financial planning practice and gain real world experience.

Akron, OH | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship with Northwestern Mutual is the ability to gain real world experience of starting up and running your own financial planning business, with no personal capital needed to invest up front. Learning life/business skills that would help in any career path, such as enhancing communication and time management, increased self confidence, and finanical planning knowledge helpful in your own personal life and business. Interns have the same opportunities as fulltime representives in building their client base. The independence, control of schedule, positive impact of interactions with clients, and a limitless income potential.

I did not have any negative experiences with my two years as in intern with Northwestern Mutual.

Understand that this opportunity is not meant for everyone. Individuals who are open minded, willing/wanting to learn, and that are not afraid of working hard to get great rewards should apply. The company does a great job in supporting an interns growth and development, but it is meant for people striving for growth and experience.

What are you looking for in a career? Do you have aspirations of running your own business? What is your why?

Advice to Management

The company needs to continue to support it's representatives in training, education, and industry changes as it consistently does.

Expereince of a Lifetime

Rochester, MN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Hleping as many people as possible get their Financial house in order. The amount of money you can make is only limited by your success.

Having people say no to you.

Don't predetermine if you'll like this and want to do it forever. Get your feet wet, try it, be coachable, and see where it takes you.

Advice to Management

Don't oversell the Internship. Interns need to know that it is extremely hard but extremely worth while and fulfilling.

Impactful and eyeopening process

New Haven, CT | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

office culture, impact on everyday people, income potential.

daily ups and downs of the business in general

give it serious effort, do not fake it or waste valuable time

An opportunity to mature; personally, professionally & financially.

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Support, Office culture, Training, Entrepreneurial, Real life person to person interaction

It's hard work. If you're not ready to mature, it may not be a fit.

If you're looking for a career where income is relatively unlimited, you have the independence to design your own work calendar & make your own business decisions, & you want to make an impact on peoples lives, then the career at NM should be entertained. The internship program is the gateway into that career. We urge our college financial reps to testdrive this career to its maximum potential.

Building an impactful business

Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexibility, mentorship and opportunity

You have to create your own consistency and accountability structures

Don't quit if you get frustrated or are forced outside of your comfort zone; quitting is a habit. It is impossible to grow if you don't push yourself.

A professional is born!

Hartford, CT | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

developing a career and professionalism that will follow me for the rest of my life

the process can take quite a while from start to finish, including getting paid.

if you are hungry, hard-working, and devoted you will find nothing but success in this internship.

Work hard and noting here is impossible...nothing.

Indianapolis, IN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The company invests a lot of time and resources in a college students growth, that may or may not make it...that astounds me. I learned from the top of the company and their success and failures. I was also recognized for my success. I had the opportunity to lead others in the internship. I also had the ability to change people's lives, as a college student. I don't know if it gets better than that.

the hard work. It takes a lot of work to be in this position.

Work hard and you will succeed...no matter who you are.

Advice to Management

I have seen nothing short of greatness from our management. I would not change a thing, they are the ones that inspire me to do the things I do everyday.

Amazing Personal Growth!

Albany, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning the real world application of aspects from college! Actually doing it for myself, not having to file or do administrative duties for anyone else!

Nothing, my internship was exactly what I was looking for.

You actually get to do it for yourself! You're not an intern who is actually an administrative assistant like all the other internships I've heard about from friends. You not only grow personally, but professionally as well! They also pay for your licensing, which is something you have on your resume going forward.

Am I a self starter? Am I organized? What motivates me? What's my vision for the future?

Advice to Management

Everything is really good right now. I wouldn't change anything.