Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

An internship that allows you to help people solve complex problems they can't solve on their own. Huge Impact!

Orlando, FL | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The mentorship

Heavy insurance related training.

The training is unmatched and will put you in a position of power whether you choose this as your full time career or not.

Advice to Management

I think we could improve our technology platform. but also understand this can't happen over night for client security reasons.

Where do you see yourself over the next 5 years?

Excellent, Real World Experience

Birmingham, AL | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Training
Real Life Experience

There was really nothing I didn't like

This career is rewarding but also very challenging. Trust in the activity expectations and do the activity necessary. Keep your head down and keep working.

Great on the job training with caring mentors

Dallas, TX | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Client meetings and earning good money ...

Prospecting for new clients is tough but you have to be good at it to succeed

Be honest and willing to work hard like a medical residency. The payoff is years later

American Hero

Boston, MA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning, compensation, adding value, having a purpose, exposure to top advisors

Can be stressful

Must be willing to work hard

Advice to Management

Technology.

Had to talk to family and friends about their experiences with financial planning

Most amazing and real life experience you can have, with the opportunity to start building a business while still in school.

Indianapolis, IN | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I learned more in just 3 months doing this internship than I did while in college.

There is nothing that I didn't like about the internship.

Come ready to work and have the mind set that entering this career you are building a business and working for yourself. This is not just another 9-5 job that you will find somewhere else.

Autonomy, Recognition, and Professionalism are to had.

Portland, OR | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Having full autonomy, if I felt like working I did, if not then I simply did not show up. I've never been one for the typical 9-5, and being able to set my on schedule was a huge priority for me.

This is more of office issue, but since we are located in downtown Portland we have to pay for our own parking. It can get really expensive at 10-15 dollars a day.

Work hard, this is an amazing opportunity with limitless potential in he future. If you were to flush this down the drain it would be like the career that got away.

Advice to Management

I've got no advice for management, they are doing everything in their power to make it the best possible experience for those that actively participate.

How do you feel about self guided work?
Are you self motivated?

I can't remember any more, i've been here for two years and don't remember any exact questions from my interview.

Maturing & Growing as a Professional while Helping the People You Care about Most

Tucson, AZ | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Always learning, actively involved in meetings with other advisors, growing confidence to build a practice, helping others with creative solutions, designing financial plans for families and providing significant value and meaning to what I was doing

Needs a little more organization of curriculum on weekly meetings, but very good training so nothing too much

Very elite, over-dress rather than under-dress. Internship has been Top 10 for multiple years so impress and be proactive. Discuss with others what it is like as a career, especially those who were once interns as well

Advice to Management

Community Involvement

What does running a business look like?
How successful is successful to you?
What motivates you?
What's the most important thing to you?
What would you want to achieve here?

Northwestern Mutual Delivers a Superior Internship Experience....Far From Making Coffee in a White Collar World.

Fargo, ND | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The flexibility to build your business prior to graduation with the strongest firm in the industry at your back. Day to Day support is strong and unbiased.

I would like to have a clear picture of the huge impact of joint work as a new advisor intern.

This is a self-driven business. The average millennial needs to park the entitlement at the door and become an unassuming adult.

Advice to Management

Spend time with your interns as you would with your clients. Mature and grow their strengths for the greater good of your community and relationships.

This internship gives you real life experience on what it takes to run this business

Lincoln, NE | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Having a mentor to meet with every week

There is no guarantee that you will get paid every commission run.

This is a great opportunity to build a business and have the flexibility to do it on however hectic of a schedule you have. This give you the opportunity to build up a business and start a career while you are still in college.

Want an Internship that grows you as a businessperson as well as a better human being, while setting you up for unlimited sucess?

Other (US) | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Tremendous growth both personally and professionally. Obtain tremendous knowledge of industry

The only, Cons I feel, are the daily battles against yourself to stay motivated people aren't asking the phones or meetings cancel.

Great support and guidance. Great benefits and compensation opportunities. Freedom to grow your own practice, but support like an employee.