Last, best opportunity in America

Having an impact in people's lives.

Many of the interns did not realize the opportunity that they had been given.

Work hard. This is one of the most difficult jobs out there. Get used to being uncomfortable, but know that is is worth it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Date: 2013

A great way to see if this is something you want to do as a career!

Professionalism, learning about the financial world and products, getting out of my comfort zone, doing exactly what I would be doing as a full time advisor.

The pay was not as high as other internship programs.

Understanding the sales cycle and the process that Northwestern Mutual takes compared to anyone else.

Advice to Management

Employee retention and compensation

Date: 2013

Greatest opportunity to get your feet wet in a career before graduating college.

Being my own boss and having the flexibility with my schedule that I needed for school. Also having the chance to do the same work as other full time representatives.

It is difficult at times and can be stressful. Extremely challenging but helps you develop as a professional.

Don't be afraid of the challenge. One of the only opportunities that allows you to test drive a career while in college.

Date: 2013

Worth it no matter who you are

the cultural and mentors i was surrounded by

rejection! People telling you no

It's worth giving it a go...regardless if you get a full time opportunity you'll learn a ton about business/real world and yourself

Date: 2013

Stories of success of the road less traveled

Being able to have the resources and tools to build a clientele, and the leadership that I was able to utilize

In my experience I only disliked things while they were happening. I feel I am a better person now and see the stressful situations as monuments of my success.

Follow the direction of your peers while making the pathway your own and you cannot fail.

Date: 2013

The experience was life changing, and I grew more in 1 year than I had in all of college.

The best aspect was the continuing committment to bettering everybody in the organization. Everybody is different, and the company truly recognizes that. Northwestern Mutual realizes that you don't grow proffesionally by running to get coffee for your superiors, so I had never had to do any of that. The fact that I was able to actually run my own business and design my calendar to fit me best was amazing.

Occasionally, the hours were long, but ultimately the more you work, the more reward you got.

When looking at an internship with Northwestern Mutual, don't even concern yourself with the industry, just look at the amazing opportunity to help people and to grow in every aspect of your life. Be ready to work hard, but also know that this is a company that will truly compensate you based on your efforts.

Advice to Management

We lack some diversity in both gender and race, but it does not necessarily harm the workplace environment.

Date: 2013

impact others. own boss. unlimited growth.

Freedom. Impact. Help people. Money. Fun

Nothing a atll

Be an entreprenuer and others focused mindset

Date: 2013

Build your own business under the guidance of a Fortune 200 company, and learn valuable skills which you will retain for life.

The recognition at the end of the year after succeeding. The guys at Northwestern are really big on praising individuals who do well, and being recognized for doing so is an immeasurable feeling. The guidance and education that they provide is unparalleled as well. During my internship I took my Series 6 and 63, and earned a designation. I have yet to turn 20 years old and have a designation at the end of my name, all thanks to the folks who believed in me and pushed me to stretch my goals.

As ironic/silly as it may sound, the independence. While we have the flexibility to set our own schedules and work whenever we want, this comes with a lot of responsibility that can easily be abused if no one holds you accountable. There is plenty of it in the beginning, but once they saw that I was doing the right things and was responsible, they tapered me off the corporate accountability, and I had to be accountable to only myself. This was difficult to do.

This business is not for everyone. There is a lot of rejection and a lot of activities which will be unpleasant, tiring, and emotionally draining. If you can get over that, however, the rewards that come from productive activity and doing the right things will far outweigh whatever negativity you may be feeling during the "down" days. If you have a good head on your shoulders, diligent, and see the big picture, this career may very well be for you.

Advice to Management

Some more accountability, even for the individuals who look very promising and successful, would definitely be appreciated.

Date: 2013

Launching pad to an unbelievable business!!

People, people, people.

Phoning for sure...somewhat uncomfortable in the beginning before i realized the value proposition we were creating for our clients.

If you're open-minded and willing to work very hard, you'll have a great experience and a chance to make this work.

Date: 2013

Great head start to an even better full time career.

Real life experience.

a small number of other interns who had a bad attitude.

you get exactly waht you put into this internship. treat it like a full time job and take it serioulsy.

Advice to Management

Double down on the internship.