Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Log in to Submit a Review

Run your own financial practice business while in college.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being treated and trained just as much as any full time employee. Having all the flexibility in the world as far as income, independence, and impacting people. You really get an oppurtunity to change other peoples lives. Not many college internships give you that oppurtunty.

Starting out it is frightening to start within your own market. Friends/Family but with our product and strength of the company. You quickly realize how impactful you can be.

Be very driven, and committed to excellence. Listen to all the advice and trainging you recieve and follow it blindly until you fully understand it.

The Best Real World experience as a college student that blends Marketing, finance and sales.

Running my own Business.

Nothing. The Internship was a lot of work but the culture and people we amazing and the experience was definitely worth the hours.

Do the appropriate background research.

The most impactful, smartest decision in my life I have ever made was to join Northwestern Mutual as an intern in May of 2007
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Impact on peoples lives and bell-being, Freedom and Flexibility to be running your own business at such a young age, and unlimited income potential. This internship made me who I am as a person and helped me realize that I can get anything I want from life from focus and drive to help others

If you don't work hard, you don't get paid

If you want a rewarding career in life that will give you everything you've ever wanted in life, Northwestern Mutual is the place to be at.

Opportunity of a lifetime!
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting my "hands dirty" by acutally doing the job. I got to see first hand what financial planning entails for families and business because I got to do it.

Nothing. everytihng was great.

Do research into different companies and the lifestyle you want to have one day and see if they match up.

Advice to Management

Nothing, everything was great.

Ultimate Challenge and Rewarding Experience
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

building my own business. Being my own boss. Flexibility, hours and pay.

There was nothing I didnt like

If you are looking for a challenging opportunity to see what your full potential is, this is the best internship to find that out while growing more personally and professionally

Real life experience internship
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting with clients an impact their life

Stress of lot of stuff to learn

It's a great internship if you are hard worker that have great desire do better life

Advice to Management

Have more space and room

I pushed myself to be comfortable being uncomfortable. I am a different person today because of this experience.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

the REAL DEAL - you are really doing what a full time rep does for a 10 week period. I learned from some successful, goal-driven, business owners. Learned how to delegate and use staff to leverage my time. The potential to make good $ was there (I made $6200 in the summer months in 2002 during my internship. My whole senior year college career was so much more impactful after i had real world experience in the field - i was the only one in the case studies class in my financial planning major with real cases in my mind while we were going through hypothetical situations in class. I learned how to manage myself - there are expectations, but you are on your own to manage your time - nobody telling you what to do and when throughout the day.

There were certainly times that it was challenging and I felt like I should have taken an easier internship ... but by the end of the summer when I realized how much I grew as a person, and made 3x the amount of money as my other friends who had paid internships, it was definitely worth it!

give the internship 100% - think of it as a career from day one. You truly get out of it what you put into it - both financially and in personal development. I developed personally by learning how to manage myself, make phone calls even when i didn't feel like it, sit in front of people making 7 figures a year and try to help them make some decisions to help their family ... the biggest regret i hear from interns is that they didn't apply themselves enough over the summer. Because of the independent nature, it is easy to "hide" - if you do that, you will make very little money, less of an experience, and probably leave with some regrets and "what if's" going through your mind.

A launching pad into an incredibly rewarding and dynamic career!
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Growth through real-life experiences.

Trying to balance with school and baseball.

Simply put, if you're wondering if the financial services world might be for you, this is the internship to really answer the question!

Advice to Management

Help interns understand that sometimes working smarter, not just harder, leads to bigger results.

The Real Deal - Fully Embrace the Career of A Financial Representative while you're still in school
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

-autonomy, personal and professional growth, learning in the financial field, experience different opportunities, career opportunity, professional friendships

I least liked the compensation structure as an intern - it was a difficult adjustment from waitressing, however I grew to love it.

It would be helpful to come in knowing you have a lot of self dicipline and a great work ethic and if not learning to have it!

Great opportunity to feel out an industry and what a financial services business involves
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real world experience. Either sink or swim in the industry. Great training and professional development

Time commitment, to being successful in the industry.

Great training and unlimited opportunity as well as income potential.

Advice to Management

More training on the understanding of certian bonuses as well as benchmarks. Also base salary for full time agents would be helpful.