Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

Life changing experience. It is a chance to develop professional skills, real world experience, and positively impact people's lives.

Cleveland, OH | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Personal & Professional Growth - enhanced communication skills, improved time management, financial planning knowledge, and confidence to work in the professional market.
Impact - working with clients on reaching their goals and insuring their families
Independence - control of own schedule
Income - No cap and got compensated based off of the effort I put forth.
Culture - Developed friendships and relationships with staff, fellow interns, management, and fulltime advisors that will last a lifetime ( Family & Fun)

What I liked least about the internship is the rejection. No one likes hearing no. It was hard to overcome at first, but once I understood that not everybody is ready to do planning and how the front end activity worked it all made sense. Now, I strive to hear more no's then everyone else (it leads to more yes's).

If you are looking for an internship that will both challenge you to grow both professionally and personally than this is an opportunity for you. It is meant for the individuals who have the drive and motivation to succeed and want to build something that is all the result of their effort.

Advice to Management

I believe that the company just needs to continue to educate and offer people the chance to enter a career that will be life changing.

The interview questions asked we very focused on my vision for the future and helped me identify what my internal motivation was. The first interview was a lot like other interviews, asking me about my strengths, goals, challenges, etc. But, the second interview was different. I got the chance to reverse the table and interview a former college intern and director of the college program. There were no questions that I could not ask.

Indendant growth opportunity.

Boston, MA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

ability to be your own boss and really get a good feel for the corporate environment.

position can be stressful

this is a great internship just may not be for everyone.

Advice to Management

more infrastructure within the program.

Are you a leader

I became a better version of myself and grew more in my internship experience than I had anywhere else, even as a collegiate athlete.

Newport Beach, CA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

the ability to ACTUALLY do what a full time advisor does and get compensated as such. It was FUN and found myself uncomfortable frequently which provided the greatest growth as well.

I didn't like at the time that I had to get really uncomfortable and be 'ok' with not being an expert yet, but helping people with their finances. in retrospect, I realize that was the point and thankful for it.

I would highly recommend to interns seeking opportunity because it allowed me to not only test drive this career, but also see many other careers intimately because of the process we take clients through. obtaining a client in other careers gives you insight to whatever industry you may want to go into as well.

Advice to Management

I would advise more specific income projections early on to get more excited about long term opportunity.

I cant remember exactly questions. I do remember however a very impactful experience I went through during the interview process of the managing director taking 10 of us prospective interns in a room and discussing a client he had that he paid a death claim on. I really saw how valuable the work is that we could do as interns.

Impacting the community around you while discovering your true potential

Grand Rapids, MI | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

No pay cap - the hardest workers have the highest incomes
Team atmosphere - from the veterans of the company to the new reps, every person here wants to help you hit your goals
Entrepreneurial design - your impact is truly defined by your integrity, attitude and work ethic
Huge leadership opportunities

You will work harder than most to get to where you want to be
It can be difficult to balance personal life vs professional life

This career allows you to maximize your potential more than anything out there; but, it comes at a price. That price is the work ethic you bring to the table. Not everyone is cut out to start their own financial practice alongside Northwestern Mutual, but the ones who do reap endless benefits. You need to have drive, motivation, and confident; the ones who do are the ones who rise to the top.

Advice to Management

Younger leaders in the company to act as mentors (similar ages are more relateable)

Give me an example of the toughest thing you've had to overcome.

Open your own financial planning practice backed by a fortune 100 company.

Irvine, CA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The ability to seek out and grow my own client base.

Initially hard to balance school and work. The support staff worked really well with me to help create an ideal calendar.

Show up every day and give it all you've got. Keep your head down for the first few months then reflect and see if you enjoy where your at. If so, repeat. If not, find a field that you will enjoy more personally.

Your possibilities are limitless...are you ready?

Milwaukee, WI | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Incredible training and options for growth. Super fun and potential for great income.

Sometimes the early hours can be challenging for interns.

If you have a thirst for person growth and love helping people. you couldn't look to a better place

Advice to Management

None

What are your personal Professional and financial goals over the next 3 years?

great experience, cannot lose situation

Savannah, GA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

got to actually do the work

nothing. it was great

do the internship. best case you love the business and go into it, worst case you have received a great experience and put it on your resume

Advice to Management

get licensed early

best fit if in sales

Complete freedom to make it whatever you want. Challenging and stimulating. Tons of potential.

Iowa City, IA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Ability to make money. Freedom. Challenges.

Phoning was hard to learn and get comfortable with.

Don't take this lightly! Grow yourself and dive in 100%.

The Road to Success

Little Rock, AR | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being surrounded by a great group of individuals who genuinely care about your overall well-being.

Commission based pay can be overwhelming and stressful.

Be motivated!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

Real world internship, real world experiences.

Omaha, NE | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with the many representatives in our district and being able to work with my own clients.

How difficult it is to pull other interns into the office.

Come in with a work hard mentality and this career will be extremely rewarding for you.

Advice to Management

The only thing I would like more out of the internship is more team functions. The more you bring the team together and have fun outside of the office, the more productive you become because it doesn't feel like work.

Why do you feel this internship suits you?
What do you want to gain out of this internship?
If you were to be offered a position, how would you move forward?
Are you hardworking and open to learn?