Date: 2013

The best life changing experience any college student will ever experience

The opportunity to change people's lives, change your focus to helping others, planning for the future in a self fufilling way

Would have liked more from my mentors, at times, but overall it was a good experience

You have to work your tail off in the beginning, but once you lay the groundwork you will be set for life

Advice to Management

I think they are doing a great job, if people leave this business it's because they didn't want it bad enough, not because they couldn't do it.

Date: 2013

Learn to be a financial planner

You were able to really try out the career to see if it is something that you enjoy and have the ability to excel at.

I live further away from the office so I had an hour commute each way

The internship is a great opportunity to see if this is a career path for you. Give it everything you have and you won't be dissappointed because you will either continue on or have invaluable experience in whichever field you choose to pursue

Advice to Management

Higher expecatations of performance so that interns can truly gauge if they will be able to make it a career and support a family

Date: 2013

Learn to run a business and master the science and art of making connections with people everyday

-The culture of my office was so welcoming, exciting, and motivating -We have some of the best mentors and leaders that money can by. You can help but be motivated after leaving a one-on-one meeting with your mentor.

-Some weeks you may put in 5-20 hours and only be compensated a $100 stipend. The sales cycle is so long it is important to understand that the work you are putting in this week, you might not see the financial rewards for 2, 3, 4 weeks down the line.

This career is a rollercoaster. The internship allows you a glimpse of what a full-time career will be like with Northwestern Mutual as a financial representative. However, the only way to truly test drive the opportunity that this company is giving you is to put in the work. It is not enough to put in one solid day of work per week. You must be commited to truyly emerse yourself in the career. Many people will say that this business is not for them, and for some that is true. But the only way to truly know is to commit to the daily activity (dials, initial meetings, closing meetings, emails back promptly, scheduling, running analysis).

Advice to Management

As an intern, I wish I would have gotten a little more face-time with the upper management officials in my network office. Also, I wish I would have gotten more than $100 stipend per week, even though I did receive commission on my sales (but they didn't come every week)

Real World Experience

The skills I learned were vast- I matured alot because of the internship.

It's a very challenging business- sometimes it's hard to get people to talk finances with you when you're only 22 years old.

If you are self-driven and disciplined, this is a great opportunity. If not, look elsewhere.

Amazing opportunity for the top company in Financial Services

Tons of support, great pay, extreme personal and professional growth.

Had to get out of comfort zone, always maintaining professional atmosphere.

Why not start with the best?

Date: 2013

It allowed me to have a fast start after college

I learned about the pro's and con's of working in the world of finance long before I graduated college

Initially you feel as if you work a lot for very little compensation but that changes in time if you do as they train you.

I would tell them to work jointly with the resources in their office. They are young and have inadequate knowledge so this is not something they can do on their own. The quickest way to learn is to watch the professionals around you.

Advice to Management

I would encourage them to be more selective in who they choose so they don't hurt the reputation of the company.

Date: 2013

My internship experience was the best experience of my life.

The best aspects of my internship was the flexible work schedule while having no income cap.

I least liked the turnover of assistants in the office.

Take the internship and look at it as the beginning of your career.

Advice to Management

Have strict work requirements on the interns.

Date: 2013

Tired of filing paperwork? Get out there and make a substantial impact on your community and your career as a financial Rep with NML

Hands on training with senior staff and advisors, we are laying the foundation for a career not just making coffee and shuffling paperwork

Nothing to speak of. It was all soo good

If you are looking to work at NML be ready to dive into a internship where you will learn valuable lessons in regards to personal finance, communication, and hard work. The principles taught will serve you well no matter what field you decided to pursue.

Advice to Management

Northwestern Mutual's internship program is top-notch. They invest so much into their interns and the program as a whole. I have nothing to change. Keep it exactly the way it is.

Independence, impact and income

Everyone is very helpful and open to give you guidance. You are actually doing what a full-time person would be doing, not just getting coffee and making copies.

The only con is that you need to dedicate a lot of time into the internship and you can't always do that while in school.

It may seem really difficult, but don't give up.

Date: 2013

Best choice I have ever made

Making your own schedule

phone calls

You determine your own success