Northwestern Mutual Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #1 Best Financial Services Internships  /  #5 Best Overall Internships

4.7 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 378 Intern Reviews)

Intern earns thousands by helping indivuals and families become more financially secure!
Salt Lake City, UT | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Personal growth and development. Opening the door to a rich, fulfilling carreer.

Selling - which involves a lot of rejection.

Northwestern mutuals corporate culture is unique. The culture is extremly proffessional and exudes doing the right thing. I can't imagine a better opportunity. I've been full time for a while and have a very strong income, freedom and flexibility over my time and most of all I make a positive difference in my clients lives.

Opportunity to help others while better yourself!
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The opportunity to run my own practice, do the marketing, prospecting, project managment, accounting, running the business. It really has helped me to be a better person and business person.

I only say this because it is true but I love the company and what they stand for. The hardest thing about the internship is that it is a difficult field!!

Take the leap of faith and give it all you have. You will not be disapointed.

Do you keep commitments?

Do you put others needs over your own?

Do you enjoy to work hard?

Advice to Management

The internship is managed very well. Keep it up please!

You get what you put in.
San Francisco, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people in the office.

Not Hourly.

If you're not ready to work hard, turn away and run.

Don't recall.

Advice to Management

Compensation, bigger stipend for interns.

You will grow tremendously personally, professionally, and financially this summer - all while helping people you care about
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

real world experience

making phone calls (but who likes that? :))

If you want to have REAL experience then do this. If you want to have a mindless "job" over the summer do not try it - you will be challenged and will regret this.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Help others live courageously and with purpose
Salt Lake City, UT | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

1. Flexibility, I never have to miss something important because of work

2. Helping great people protect their family through insurance

3. Future potential for income is really high

Commission based jobs are very motivating but can be stressful on a family

Be willing to put in the time and effort to be successful, and look past the no’s

Start your own bussiness.
Little Rock, AR | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being my own boss.

The volatility of your work week.

Be prepared to work hard.

Advice to Management

More organization with the contracting process.

Got me where I am
Pittsburgh, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

This internship was the reason I got into this business. I am forever grateful for the opporutnity and feel so luck for having been in this program.

I don't have a bad thing to say.

Go into it with and open mind and DO what your supervisors suggest. Worst case scenario you will learn a great number of skills you can do with your next endavour. If you half ass it you will be dissappointed with the experience.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

What is Your Maximum Potential?
Minneapolis, MN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The ability to make as much money as you could imagine. It is really nice to not have a salary cap. I love the flexibility that I have to take off from work whenever needed or to make my schedule work better with a prospects.

There wasn't anything I didn't like about my internship.

Work hard and you will reap the benefits early

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Unlimited opportunity to apply a financial education to a real world career while building a business and helping others
Buffalo, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The training and support from peers and home office coupled with the autonomy and unlimited opportunity to grow, continue your education and not have a corporate glass ceiling. Working for a company that puts investing in their employees and delivering value before anything else.

Our office was underdeveloped at the time so there was no director of the program or formal mentor structure like there is now.

Work hard, follow the trianing, ask for help and always keep learning.

What motivates you most in a career?

Tell me about a time where you were faced with adversity that you had to overcome?

Are you motivated by helping others?

Advice to Management

Have a better transitional structure from the employees that have success and hit early goals that continues while they are in the early stages of their career.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

For those who are or want to be the best of the best, give Northwestern Mutual a shot. There's no downside.
Seattle, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The training is fantastic. Learning about such important topics like financial planning, budget analysis, and running a business can't be replaced. Whether or not an intern goes full-time with the company, they'll be a better person and more employable after the internship. The office culture is fantastic as well. I love the competitive nature because everyone wants to succeed as badly as they want to breathe, but they also want to see others succeed. They want to be the best by beating the best. Tons of great, fun people, and the internship strikes a perfect balance - for me - between professional and fun. The pay is unbeatable to.

It's such a copmetitive field, that there is a ton of turnover in the industry. It can be hard to befriend someone as you're watching them fail out of something that they want badly.

Some people simply aren't cut out for this career. It's extremely independent, and a lot of people don't like the fact that they're 100% responsible for their income and lifestyle. Others may not like that it's 100% commission based. I'd say try it and really submit yourself 100% to it before you decide it's not for you. The people who make this a career are really, really happy. It'd be a shame to not make the most of such a good opportunity.

First interview is very stereotypical, but less formal. Tell me about yourself. Strengths/weaknesses. What's your 5, 10, and 20 year plan. Tell me a time of adversity, etc. The second interview is super unique and really cool. They ask us to put together a powerpoint presentation covering a series of questions and trying to sell ourselves to the company. Things like: why this industry, why this company, what are your goals, what makes you different, what motivates you, what do you want from us, etc. This is where we ask them some questions as well to figure out if it could be a fit for us. The third interview is with our potential mentor to hear more about the career, expectations, and get a chance to really dig deep and as questions. They want to see from us the same things that anyone else does, but it's super cool to talk to a mentor rather than a recruiter during the interview process.

Advice to Management

Overall communication can be spotty sometimes. Whether it's requirements for a competition or conditions to get paid, they're not always as clear as possible. That's probably just a bureacracy issue, but it can be annoying. Other than that minor issue, I'd say keep doing what they're doing, finding great kids, and training them to be the best version of themselves.