Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

Best internship for professional experience and lifelong skills

Minneapolis, MN | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Leadership we had access too, experience, financial planning education.

The pressure of knowing what it takes to get the full time offer and being pushed to do so.

Relize early on that this is a great opportunity and if you want to take advantage of it you must do so as soon as possible.

Advice to Management

Some interns give northwestern mutual a bad name after the fact. Because of how they pushed something on someone who didn't want it.

Put something in your presentation that shows how you're different. Ex: travel

Unparalleled opportunity for independence, impact, and income

Nashville, TN | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Independence, impact, income, superior training, career vision, and incredible people work beside and learn from.

There was nothing that can fit this category

Be sure to try to meet as many people at the firm as you can during the interview process- you'll be struck by their knowledge, integrity, and people skills.

Advice to Management

Communication from the top down could be slightly improved

What makes you an especially hard worker?

Do you ever quit things? Why or why not?

Inspire. Build. Achieve.

Boulder, CO | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The ability to connect and develop relationships with clients and add value to their financial situation regardless of the age and experience that I had.

People procrastinate and we must always be proactive

This is for the person who wants their hard work and skill development to dictate their trajectory and income. It is also for the person who wants to be affiliated with an incredible world class company, but have the opportunity to build their own practice and clientele.

Advice to Management

Continue to educate them on the aspects of the career that are hard for most people to attract the right person.

Describe a challenge that you have faced and how you handled and overcame it.

Life changing

Iowa City, IA | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being around successful, competent, and motivated people, and learning that I was capable of more than I thought I was.

It was a lot of work.

If you are a self-motivated individual that wants to succeed, this is a great place.

A life changing experience, while bringing out the best in yourself.

Other (US) | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Making friends, flexibiliy, personal freedom, accountability to ensure we aren't being complacent, Having the leverage of working for the best company, lucrative income, a business you don't have to buy into

$100/week stipend should be $200/week BUT with more stringent requirements to the activity(ies) complete in the meetings.

"Great career for the right person" is what you'll hear a lot,
This is a great career for any person who decides to make themselves great.

Advice to Management

Get the young reps aware of more than the basics early on, so their productivity can climb with more efficiency, in less time.

3 greatest strengths
3 greatest weaknesses

Opportunity to test drive an amazing career, while still in college and learn amazing life and professional skills in only one summer!

Milwaukee, WI | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Experience gained, compensation, respect within the organization and career opportunities

Scheduling was hard - I had to get used to long days and working long hours if I wanted to succeed.

For anyone who likes to help people, is hard working and wants to be their own boss with no ceiling on their growth, our company and internship is an amazing opportunity. Even for those intern colleagues of mine who didn't continue their career with Northwestern Mutual after their internship credit the skills they learned during their summer program for the success they have found later in life

Advice to Management

Geographic issues with where interns office are the main thing that needs to change.

Great career opportunity

Providence, RI | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

helping people plan for their future

having to find my own clients

if being an advisor/planner is something that is of interest, then this will suit you well

Work was harder than I thought and enjoyed the outcomes

The Woodlands, TX | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

you are treated like a regular employee

working on schedule I was not use to.

the job is real work and you get the real world

Advice to Management

always want more training, the hours are what you make of them.

what impact do you want to have on the people you touch

Impact, Independence, Income I was able to test drive a career that has been extremely fulfilling and enjoyable.

Salt Lake City, UT | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Freedom and learning

cancellations

This gave me such a great way to test drive a career and realize that I could do this for the duration of my life.

Best decision of my life

Minneapolis, MN | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Gave me an HONEST feel for the career - would I like it? would I be good at it?

Hard work!

Make sure you have a great work ethic and strong desire to succeed and help people.

Advice to Management

More diversity! Women and minorities. More support on how to be a business owner, not just on how to do financial planning with clients.