Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

Learn about the real world of finances with NM!

Little Rock, AR | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Got paid to be trained by top Advisors.

I wish I would have started it sooner in my college career.

Take the advice from the management teams, it will help you more than you can see at time of internship.

Advice to Management

I enjoyed time with higher management, wish I could have spent more time with them.

What do you dream about your professional life becoming? What is your most magnificent future look like? Personally? Professionally? Financially?

I wouldnt be who i am today without Northwestern Mutual

Denver, CO | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

-mentoring
-support
-flexibility
-income potential
-my own business

-stipend amount was low

Be willing to give it 100%. If you aren't willing to do so, you will have a subpar experience and wont enjoy the career

Advice to Management

Competitive signing bonuses
continue to work on diversity
Similar culture across office nationally

What does integrity mean to you

Hard, meaningful, and relational work

Minneapolis, MN | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Having the ability to effect another's life in a positive way, versus worrying about grabbing someone coffee or be treated as an "intern". I designed my own schedule, met the people I wanted to, and had a lot of fun "working"

The job is hard, and with the wrong attitude it can cause the daily tasks to feel really difficult.

Based on my experience, put faith in the people who mentor you and continue to work -- even when it gets tough to do that.

Advice to Management

Continue to do the things you do. Perhaps from a recognition standpoint, put a little more emphasis on clients attained, and really emphasis the importance of T20 by making that a mandatory accomplishment.

How do you act in the face of adversity.

Best internship for professional experience and lifelong skills

Minneapolis, MN | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Leadership we had access too, experience, financial planning education.

The pressure of knowing what it takes to get the full time offer and being pushed to do so.

Relize early on that this is a great opportunity and if you want to take advantage of it you must do so as soon as possible.

Advice to Management

Some interns give northwestern mutual a bad name after the fact. Because of how they pushed something on someone who didn't want it.

Put something in your presentation that shows how you're different. Ex: travel

Unparalleled opportunity for independence, impact, and income

Nashville, TN | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Independence, impact, income, superior training, career vision, and incredible people work beside and learn from.

There was nothing that can fit this category

Be sure to try to meet as many people at the firm as you can during the interview process- you'll be struck by their knowledge, integrity, and people skills.

Advice to Management

Communication from the top down could be slightly improved

What makes you an especially hard worker?

Do you ever quit things? Why or why not?

Inspire. Build. Achieve.

Boulder, CO | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The ability to connect and develop relationships with clients and add value to their financial situation regardless of the age and experience that I had.

People procrastinate and we must always be proactive

This is for the person who wants their hard work and skill development to dictate their trajectory and income. It is also for the person who wants to be affiliated with an incredible world class company, but have the opportunity to build their own practice and clientele.

Advice to Management

Continue to educate them on the aspects of the career that are hard for most people to attract the right person.

Describe a challenge that you have faced and how you handled and overcame it.

Life changing

Iowa City, IA | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being around successful, competent, and motivated people, and learning that I was capable of more than I thought I was.

It was a lot of work.

If you are a self-motivated individual that wants to succeed, this is a great place.

A life changing experience, while bringing out the best in yourself.

Other (US) | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Making friends, flexibiliy, personal freedom, accountability to ensure we aren't being complacent, Having the leverage of working for the best company, lucrative income, a business you don't have to buy into

$100/week stipend should be $200/week BUT with more stringent requirements to the activity(ies) complete in the meetings.

"Great career for the right person" is what you'll hear a lot,
This is a great career for any person who decides to make themselves great.

Advice to Management

Get the young reps aware of more than the basics early on, so their productivity can climb with more efficiency, in less time.

3 greatest strengths
3 greatest weaknesses

Opportunity to test drive an amazing career, while still in college and learn amazing life and professional skills in only one summer!

Milwaukee, WI | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Experience gained, compensation, respect within the organization and career opportunities

Scheduling was hard - I had to get used to long days and working long hours if I wanted to succeed.

For anyone who likes to help people, is hard working and wants to be their own boss with no ceiling on their growth, our company and internship is an amazing opportunity. Even for those intern colleagues of mine who didn't continue their career with Northwestern Mutual after their internship credit the skills they learned during their summer program for the success they have found later in life

Advice to Management

Geographic issues with where interns office are the main thing that needs to change.

Great career opportunity

Providence, RI | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

helping people plan for their future

having to find my own clients

if being an advisor/planner is something that is of interest, then this will suit you well