Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

A real trial, for real life!

Knoxville, TN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexability with time and no limit on compensation. It was commision based

I wish I would have known about it earlier.

Put in your best effort up front to really gauge if this is something you could do the rest of your life

Real work experience while building your own business.

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real experience, builiding a client base for myself, learning professional skills that can be applied to any industry, and being held accountable for my own business.

It was largely commission based, but there were other stipends and financial incentives.

This company and business rewards high work ethic. What you put into this, is what you will earn out of it. It is incredibly rewarding.

Tell me about a time you had to overcome something and what you did to do it?

What is your biggest fear?

Describe your dream job.

Advice to Management

Be more upfront about the dress code during the hiring process. It would also be helpful to have a different training/orientation for interns with a certain level of experience instead of resending them back through training with new hires.

The greatest opportunity of my life.

Raleigh, NC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I got to build my own buisness. I even hired my first employee while I was a senior in college. I also got to work face to face with clients and really help them.

You are starting a business and if you treat it as such it can take a lot of time.

Be open and willing to really give this a shot and put in the work to find out if this is a good fit for you.

Advice to Management

A little more training on specific contracts and products could not hurt.

You can create your future

Minneapolis, MN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The ability to be my own boss and control my schedule in addition to the amazing training

To be honest there really isn't any aspect of the internship I don't like. While there were aspects I liked better, there aren't any aspects I didn't enjoy

This opportunity is a fast paced and self motivated opportunity. This career is not going to be handed to you. It is hard work, but the hard work is worth it.

The process didn't feel like an interview, it felt like a conversation. The questions asked were more about what my dream job would be and what my goals are.

Advice to Management

I can't think of anything specifically to improve.

Maximize Your Ability To Succeed

Indianapolis, IN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture was incredible as well the leadership that I attained. It opened my mind to a different style of thinking.

Commission, but the stipend helped.

If you have an entrepreneurial spirit and want to work hard, this is the perfect experience.

Name a time that you have faced adversity?

Advice to Management

More incentives and competitions to make us work a bit harder.

You get what you put in.

San Francisco, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people in the office.

Not Hourly.

If you're not ready to work hard, turn away and run.

Don't recall.

Advice to Management

Compensation, bigger stipend for interns.

The Road to Achievement

Memphis, TN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect of the internship is the actual experience itself. Interns are able to work as a full time rep as a part time student. I outperformed the majority of my office as a student. Northwestern Mutual also has various contest for its interns such as Winter Camp for the top producing interns during the fall semester. I ranked #9 for the contest and was chosen to speak at the contest camp held at the home office!

There is nothing I would dislike about Northwestern Mutual's Internship!

The opportunity to build your business as a college intern and graduate with a full financial practice is a strong opportunity. You are able to help people achieve financial goals while making good money in the mean time.

Get outside of your comfort zone and think bigger!

Irvine, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Gaining real world experience by having the opportunity to meet with potential clients and building my own clientele.

I didn't like getting to the office at 7:30am

It is a great opportunity, you will receive first class training and development as well as getting the real world experience you need to determine if this is a career you are interested in pursuing.

Ho do you deal with and respond to disappointment.

Advice to Management

I feel the organization could make a greater impact in the community if we had a more diverse group of advisors.

excellent chance to test drive the career

Denver, CO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

great experience in real world

rejection with prospects

stick it out

For those who are or want to be the best of the best, give Northwestern Mutual a shot. There's no downside.

Seattle, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The training is fantastic. Learning about such important topics like financial planning, budget analysis, and running a business can't be replaced. Whether or not an intern goes full-time with the company, they'll be a better person and more employable after the internship. The office culture is fantastic as well. I love the competitive nature because everyone wants to succeed as badly as they want to breathe, but they also want to see others succeed. They want to be the best by beating the best. Tons of great, fun people, and the internship strikes a perfect balance - for me - between professional and fun. The pay is unbeatable to.

It's such a copmetitive field, that there is a ton of turnover in the industry. It can be hard to befriend someone as you're watching them fail out of something that they want badly.

Some people simply aren't cut out for this career. It's extremely independent, and a lot of people don't like the fact that they're 100% responsible for their income and lifestyle. Others may not like that it's 100% commission based. I'd say try it and really submit yourself 100% to it before you decide it's not for you. The people who make this a career are really, really happy. It'd be a shame to not make the most of such a good opportunity.

First interview is very stereotypical, but less formal. Tell me about yourself. Strengths/weaknesses. What's your 5, 10, and 20 year plan. Tell me a time of adversity, etc. The second interview is super unique and really cool. They ask us to put together a powerpoint presentation covering a series of questions and trying to sell ourselves to the company. Things like: why this industry, why this company, what are your goals, what makes you different, what motivates you, what do you want from us, etc. This is where we ask them some questions as well to figure out if it could be a fit for us. The third interview is with our potential mentor to hear more about the career, expectations, and get a chance to really dig deep and as questions. They want to see from us the same things that anyone else does, but it's super cool to talk to a mentor rather than a recruiter during the interview process.

Advice to Management

Overall communication can be spotty sometimes. Whether it's requirements for a competition or conditions to get paid, they're not always as clear as possible. That's probably just a bureacracy issue, but it can be annoying. Other than that minor issue, I'd say keep doing what they're doing, finding great kids, and training them to be the best version of themselves.