Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

Best personal, professional and financial move I have made in my life. Continuous growth, freedom and development

Cleveland, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Continued growth both personally, professionally, educationally and financially.

There is a lot of gritty work that needs to be done but the perks are immense.

By far the best decision I could have ever made in my life.

Advice to Management

Continue to recruit great individuals who are open minded and ready to learn everyday. Lots of accountability.

Real world experience, accompanied by intentional help from mentors

Louisville, KY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

ownership of my own business
flexibility
having a mentor
good office culture
the company cares about you
its challenging
its rewarding
it keeps you busy

it can require a lot of time to get started
there is a lot of information to learn

you have to commit to it. There will be good days and bad days, so just keep moving ahead.

Impacting the lives of others and yourself with purpose.

Phoenix, AZ | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to help others achieve their goals as well as being able to reach mine. I'm defiantly a giver when it comes down to my core values but also being trained by the best in the business and making very good money along the way helps too. The training program is amazing and Northwestern reimburses all of the study material and costs for the exams. Right now I'm studying for my 6 & 63 and all of it will be reimbursed just like my life, health, and ltc exams were. They truly pour into their interns and give them a lot of attention. It's incredible to think that we are compensated at the same rates as the top reps in the company as well as we get undivided attention from them in training as well.

It is very difficult to run your own business and start your own financial practice as a full time student. As much as I don't like it at times I love it at the same time because it is extremely challenging and the ups and downs are fun, but exhausting at times.

You only get out of this internship what you put in. You have the ultimate freedom to work really hard, which will allow you to impact the lives of many while you make a lot of money, or you can slack off and get nothing out of the internship. I recommend that every intern work it like it's a 9-5 job as other finance internships are and put in the work because it really does pay off.

Advice to Management

I think that we could do a better job promoting our internship program. We have the best internship program in the country in my opinion and I think we just need to work on getting more people in the door for interviews.

It was over a year ago... but
Questions about personality
What goals and aspirations are
If you want this to be a career or if you're exploring
Questions about your current market and who you know
How much you are willing to work with others

Great expierence & culture, developed personally and professionally.

Chicago, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Entrepreneurial aspect of the program. Also is great to get real business experience where you can test drive a FT career.

Nothing bad about the internship.

Working hard and giving your full effort is the best way to grow. Seize every opportunity you have in life whether it is this opportunity or another.

Advice to Management

no advice

Best Company/ Best People

Tampa, FL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real Life Experience

nothing, it was great

This is the best sales experience

Advice to Management

nothing. perfect

The most challenging and rewarding college internship

Irvine, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

personal development, relationships

high amount of expectation initially placed upon interns

more about how rewarding the full time career could be

Test Driving a career as a Financial Advisor

Los Angeles, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture at NM is incredible and the professional development spills over into other areas of your life. I think that the internship is built how all internships are built. Instead of making coffee, making copies, and doing clerical admin work you're actually test driving a career. You're in the field meeting with clients and having all the responsibilities of a full time advisor. I think that's the purpose of an internship to learn about the career.

I had a long commute to DTLA and I was working a second job at the time. I think the internship is better suited if you can be focused on it.

Come into the internship prepared to learn a lot. I would say that organizational skills and time management skills are important in the internship. I also think that interpersonal skills are highly valued. The internship comes with a lot of freedom, but you have to use it to your advantage.

Advice to Management

I think that the internship is actually better suited for younger college students. From my experience the people that excel at the internship do it over multiple sessions and are better suited to learn the business over time. I think that they get off to a faster start when the convert full time.

Northwestern Mutual changes the lives of its clients as well as its employees

Saint Louis, MO | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Office culture, personal development, money potential

High difficulty

Stick with it and bite the bullet, it is well worth it

Advice to Management

The office is the best place to work

Explain what you're all about.

If you DON'T work, you WON'T know.

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexibility
Pay Structure
Opportunity for growth
Community Impact
The Pros outweigh the Cons

You are building a business.
You are an entrepreneur here.
It is not always fun; life never is.

WORK!
Listen to the leaders in your office.
They know what it takes.
I wish I would have known the potential of this opportunity sooner.
Work harder, show up earlier, stay later than everyone else.
Give yourself the opportunity to know whether this career is right for you or not by actually working. You won't know otherwise

Advice to Management

I wish our industry could keep more people around. We are always looking for people that are willing to work hard. I think the issues that interns have are put onto themselves. This is a business internship and an entrepreneurship internship. You are building your own practice. The perk is that it is through an internship and you don't have as much on the line when compared to a full time career with Northwestern Mutual.

What is a weakness that you have?
When did you show strength during a time of adversity?
What are you most proud of?

Hardworkers percievere and reap the rewards.

Lincoln, NE | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Helping people, being able to structure your time and business in your own fashion. Earn your way up, tenure doesn't matter.

Overwhelming, so much knowledge to take in at a time. You are literally test driving this career and doing the same thing full time guys are doing. Negative outlooks, before people see what you do they are very skeptical but once you take them through the process they realize you are there to help.

Build your habits to be successful. Develop good language. Make minimum 15 dials a day, minimum 2 meetings a day and you will be successful in your internship. Never assume someone's taken care of, a little tweak to an existing plan can make a massive impact on their future.

Advice to Management

Prepare the structure of full time a little more. The shift of freedom to checking in almost 4 times a week kind of diminishes the excitement behind running your own business.