Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

Serious impact with serious opportunity

Salt Lake City, UT | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Because the pay was commission based I was able to work and focus on working with individuals that would bring me the desired income potential. The freedom to work with who I want to is great.

I had to learn to tolerate rejection.

This is a great opportunity to really discover how individuals, families, and businesses manage financial lives. It is very eye-opening to see what the reality is for most of the population. IT is very rewarding to be able to help people achieve real financial security.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide opportunities to grow and develop in specific specialties.

What is something that you have done in your life that really was difficult? How did that turn out for you?

An opportunity to enrich lives, impact communities and build legacies.

Hartford, CT | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The fact that I had fun while doing it. I did more than create financial plans for people, we did many other things as well. I went skiing and zip lining for the first time. Both experiences I would've never imagined getting anywhere else.

The fact that not as many people care about their financial future as I expected.

It is difficult to start but 100% worth it. The opportunities you'll create for yourself as remarkable.

Advice to Management

We can certainly do better on diversity and inclusion, we are heavily lacking.

Do you consider yourself an entrepreneur?

Make Money while Helping People Financially

Philadelphia, PA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learned a lot on how to handle my finances, learned how to dress appropriately, and develop good relationships with coworkers and clients

It is difficult to sell but anyone can do it if they work hard

Have to be outgoing and cannot be shy

Advice to Management

More promotion

Where do you see yourself in 5 years, 10 years, 20 years?
How much do you want to make this year, in 5 years, in 10 years?

I was able to test out a career as a Financial Representative.

Grand Rapids, MI | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning, independence, potential compensation, and the unrestricted access to incredible financial planning resources.

Very few cons, one would be that throughout the internship we are constantly told and shown how successful people are doing this. This can sometimes lead interns to set unrealistic expectations. It is harder work than sometimes it is made out to be.

Advice to potential interns would be to set realistic goals and work hard. It will pay off.

Advice to Management

We have had a top internship here for a while now, and it is still continuing to improve. Retention would be something to focus on more.

I honestly don't remember many of them. A few however included questions about passion, motivation, and goals.

Life changing experience. It is a chance to develop professional skills, real world experience, and positively impact people's lives.

Cleveland, OH | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Personal & Professional Growth - enhanced communication skills, improved time management, financial planning knowledge, and confidence to work in the professional market.
Impact - working with clients on reaching their goals and insuring their families
Independence - control of own schedule
Income - No cap and got compensated based off of the effort I put forth.
Culture - Developed friendships and relationships with staff, fellow interns, management, and fulltime advisors that will last a lifetime ( Family & Fun)

What I liked least about the internship is the rejection. No one likes hearing no. It was hard to overcome at first, but once I understood that not everybody is ready to do planning and how the front end activity worked it all made sense. Now, I strive to hear more no's then everyone else (it leads to more yes's).

If you are looking for an internship that will both challenge you to grow both professionally and personally than this is an opportunity for you. It is meant for the individuals who have the drive and motivation to succeed and want to build something that is all the result of their effort.

Advice to Management

I believe that the company just needs to continue to educate and offer people the chance to enter a career that will be life changing.

The interview questions asked we very focused on my vision for the future and helped me identify what my internal motivation was. The first interview was a lot like other interviews, asking me about my strengths, goals, challenges, etc. But, the second interview was different. I got the chance to reverse the table and interview a former college intern and director of the college program. There were no questions that I could not ask.

Indendant growth opportunity.

Boston, MA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

ability to be your own boss and really get a good feel for the corporate environment.

position can be stressful

this is a great internship just may not be for everyone.

Advice to Management

more infrastructure within the program.

Are you a leader

I became a better version of myself and grew more in my internship experience than I had anywhere else, even as a collegiate athlete.

Newport Beach, CA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

the ability to ACTUALLY do what a full time advisor does and get compensated as such. It was FUN and found myself uncomfortable frequently which provided the greatest growth as well.

I didn't like at the time that I had to get really uncomfortable and be 'ok' with not being an expert yet, but helping people with their finances. in retrospect, I realize that was the point and thankful for it.

I would highly recommend to interns seeking opportunity because it allowed me to not only test drive this career, but also see many other careers intimately because of the process we take clients through. obtaining a client in other careers gives you insight to whatever industry you may want to go into as well.

Advice to Management

I would advise more specific income projections early on to get more excited about long term opportunity.

I cant remember exactly questions. I do remember however a very impactful experience I went through during the interview process of the managing director taking 10 of us prospective interns in a room and discussing a client he had that he paid a death claim on. I really saw how valuable the work is that we could do as interns.

Impacting the community around you while discovering your true potential

Grand Rapids, MI | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

No pay cap - the hardest workers have the highest incomes
Team atmosphere - from the veterans of the company to the new reps, every person here wants to help you hit your goals
Entrepreneurial design - your impact is truly defined by your integrity, attitude and work ethic
Huge leadership opportunities

You will work harder than most to get to where you want to be
It can be difficult to balance personal life vs professional life

This career allows you to maximize your potential more than anything out there; but, it comes at a price. That price is the work ethic you bring to the table. Not everyone is cut out to start their own financial practice alongside Northwestern Mutual, but the ones who do reap endless benefits. You need to have drive, motivation, and confident; the ones who do are the ones who rise to the top.

Advice to Management

Younger leaders in the company to act as mentors (similar ages are more relateable)

Give me an example of the toughest thing you've had to overcome.

Open your own financial planning practice backed by a fortune 100 company.

Irvine, CA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The ability to seek out and grow my own client base.

Initially hard to balance school and work. The support staff worked really well with me to help create an ideal calendar.

Show up every day and give it all you've got. Keep your head down for the first few months then reflect and see if you enjoy where your at. If so, repeat. If not, find a field that you will enjoy more personally.

Your possibilities are limitless...are you ready?

Milwaukee, WI | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Incredible training and options for growth. Super fun and potential for great income.

Sometimes the early hours can be challenging for interns.

If you have a thirst for person growth and love helping people. you couldn't look to a better place

Advice to Management

None

What are your personal Professional and financial goals over the next 3 years?