Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

Challenging yet rewarding, phenomenal professional and personal growth, and real world experience

Denver, CO | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Taking what I was learning in the classroom (as a financial planning major) and applying it to real clients scenarios. I can say none of my classmates had actual experience with clients like I did, they only knew how to deal with hypothetical fact patterns. It is obviously a lot different when there is a human being sitting across from you.

Having to balance it with school. It was tough to do both, but manageable when I set my mind to it and was efficient with my calendar. This was a growing experience as I learned to manage my time more effectively.

I wish I had known the scope of the company better. What I mean by this is the sound comprehensive planning this company does. I think many students see this internship as an insurance only deal, and while that is true in the beginning, it is so much more. For example, I passed my Series 6 and 63 in my senior year of college.

Advice to Management

Promoting Northwestern as a planning firm not just an insurance company like it used to be. Certainly insurance plays a big part in our company culture, but the opportunities here are endless and I don't think prospective students understand that.

I honestly can't remember since that was 2 years ago. They were pretty standard, such as "tell me about a time when".. things like that.

Real-life experience with a great company, great culture, great products, and great opportunity.

Chicago, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Opportunity to experience actual client meetings; significant training and development of sales skills and leadership qualities

Can't think of anything

Realize that this is a prospecting and promotion business whereby you'll face a certain level of rejection. However, the ability to help people is very gratifying if you stick with it.

Advice to Management

N/A

Describe a time where you found something more difficult to accomplish than you thought, but did it anyway.

Impactful

Harrisburg, PA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

freedom on when and what you make

Nothing I loved it

It is tough but worth it

Best Real World Experience

Chicago, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I get to run my own practice and meet with my own clients.

It can be mentally challenging to face rejection everyday

This should be a career worth looking at for a long term career.

Advice to Management

Keep building the internship program. It is excellent so far.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

What are your top 3 weaknesses?

Tell me about your family.

Life changing; best thing that happened to my professional career

Providence, RI | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everything

nothing was bad

do it... take advtange of opportunity

If you want an internship that will challenge you, help others, and has the potential for you to make a lot of money, this is for you.

Salt Lake City, UT | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The training is excellent. You start to build your own business, and the flexibility that allows you to go to school won't be found anywhere else.

Sometimes doing the phoning can be intimidating.

Just come in here and give it your all. The only people who end up not being successful are the people who aren't committed. If you commit yourself and just do what the trainers tell you, you will be successful.

Advice to Management

To be honest, I don't have any suggestions. It is a wonderful place to work.

Why is right now the right time to hire you?
They have you do surveys of people you know to get a sense of what people think of the industry, and to see how well you can network.

Start your own business with very little down side. Sounds too good to be true, but it's true!

Provo, UT | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Training, the time everyone spent on me, the pay, the independence, the culture.

Uncertainty of income.

That even if I wasn't going to choose this career path, it will open so many doors for you.

Learn to help other, grow a successful business, and become a better version of yourself.

Dayton, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real-life experience, compensation, culture, training, opportunity to grow.

Having to study and pass the insurance and investment licenses was a challenge that I wouldn't want to do again but was worth it.

Over prepare. Talk to other advisors and former interns that have had success. Listen to the advice others give because the system works.

Advice to Management

Opportunity to pass the investment license earlier in the process. Taking both investments and insurance right away rather than just the insurance up front.

What was a time in your life when you overcame an obstacle? How would you describe your ideal career where you are looking forward to work every day? What do you think your strengths and weaknesses are for a career in financial planning/

Greatest Opportunity in The World!

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture, development and training and the relationships that I've built with my colleagues and clients.

Dealing with rejection is the toughest part.

I wish I would have known that I was about to enter one of the greatest opportunities I ever will come across.

Advice to Management

There is absolutely nothing I would change in our internship program

Run a business as a college student

Toledo, OH | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The impact you can have on your community and school in your 20s as well as earning lots of money through hard work.

Strictly commission makes for some tough months

Work as hard as you can and you will be just fine

Advice to Management

Initial training could be a little more in depth