Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

Best internship ever.

Columbus, OH | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Freedom of schedule, skill development, getting to build my own client base, compensation.

Phoning for new appointments.

Really give it your all. Focus on dialing and prospecting.

Advice to Management

Making sure to keep promises on incentives.

A progam where you learn an important career while having a huge impact on your community, and still having fun!

Newport Beach, CA | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The compensation. The schedule structure. The culture. The opportunity to travel to company events.

The independence of it is hard at times.

To be a successful intern, give the tasks your all. Nothing is "given" to you in this internship, it is what you make it.

Advice to Management

Possibly to consider having higher stipends.

What obstacle/challenge did you overcome and how did you learn from it? What are your future career goals?

Learn to be comfortable being uncomfortable!

Stamford, CT | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Personal growth, challenge, unlimited income potential, real world experience

At first I was apprehensive to start calling prospects, but quickly learned the importance of meeting and helping strangers to impact their lives

Bring as many qualified suspects as you can, and view this as a full time job opportunity. View the long term potential, not the two or three months of your internship, as a full time career.

Real life experience

Albany, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

I learned real life financial planning. Not just how to photocopy like many of my friends in other internships

nothing. Turned into a full time career.

Be ready to grow and embrace growth.

Advice to Management

We are constantly growing and seeking advice from our employees on how to do so.

What are you passionate about?
Tell me about a time you overcame a major obstacle.

Great culture, support, and environment at Northwestern Mutual leads to greater intern success.

Salt Lake City, UT | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Independence, good compensation, and high quality training.

Nothing. There was nothing I didn't like about the internship.

Do it. It's tough, and scary at times, but worth it if you work hard.

Thrust into the shoes of a full-time wealth management advisor.

Columbus, OH | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real Life Experience. You are literally starting your own business and you have to think like a business owner, because you are one. Potential of great pay. The best part of the internship is the impact you will have on your clients and their families. When they thank you for meeting with them and you develop those relationships, that is the most rewarding part.

Some aspects are not fun to do such as dialing for clients, but you are building a practice. A good thing is that they do not encourage cold calling at all. It can be long hours, but the work is rewarding.

Go into the internship with a mindset of being a business owner. Every decision you make has to be from that mindset and give it everything you have. Put yourself in uncomfortable situations and you will grow more as a person, personally and professionally and even financially.

Advice to Management

Stick with training and keep the interns accountable. Keep up the good work overall.

"the beginning of my career-my internship"

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

the training

the compansation

make sure that you are able to work in a career that doesnt have immediate gratification

Advice to Management

compensation

1.why do you get up in the morning?

Learn about the real world of finances with NM!

Little Rock, AR | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Got paid to be trained by top Advisors.

I wish I would have started it sooner in my college career.

Take the advice from the management teams, it will help you more than you can see at time of internship.

Advice to Management

I enjoyed time with higher management, wish I could have spent more time with them.

What do you dream about your professional life becoming? What is your most magnificent future look like? Personally? Professionally? Financially?

I wouldnt be who i am today without Northwestern Mutual

Denver, CO | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

-mentoring
-support
-flexibility
-income potential
-my own business

-stipend amount was low

Be willing to give it 100%. If you aren't willing to do so, you will have a subpar experience and wont enjoy the career

Advice to Management

Competitive signing bonuses
continue to work on diversity
Similar culture across office nationally

What does integrity mean to you

Hard, meaningful, and relational work

Minneapolis, MN | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Having the ability to effect another's life in a positive way, versus worrying about grabbing someone coffee or be treated as an "intern". I designed my own schedule, met the people I wanted to, and had a lot of fun "working"

The job is hard, and with the wrong attitude it can cause the daily tasks to feel really difficult.

Based on my experience, put faith in the people who mentor you and continue to work -- even when it gets tough to do that.

Advice to Management

Continue to do the things you do. Perhaps from a recognition standpoint, put a little more emphasis on clients attained, and really emphasis the importance of T20 by making that a mandatory accomplishment.

How do you act in the face of adversity.