Northwestern Mutual Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #1 Best Financial Services Internships  /  #5 Best Overall Internships

Great Opportunity
Harrisburg, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

No maximum earning potential, flexibility in schedule, real life learning experience.

There were no negatives about this internship.

Bestcompany in the financial services industry.

Got to have the menatlity to do whatever it takes to succeed.
Los Angeles, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The fact that you get to make your own schedule, training and development are top notch, and you really get the opportunity to see how life really works.

The fact that I had to call people everyday and try to set them up for meetings.

Do the work and make sure this is what you really want to do.

Real Life, hands on internship!
Princeton, NJ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

the training and hands on learning by doing joint work with veteran reps.

Hard to keep up while back at shcool. More for summer.

tyr it and you will know if the career is for you.

excellent chance to test drive the career
Denver, CO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

great experience in real world

rejection with prospects

stick it out

Excitingly eye opening experience into the financial services industry
Providence, RI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

real world experience

I can't say that their was anything I disliked.

you own your own business

Get outside of your comfort zone and think bigger!
Irvine, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Gaining real world experience by having the opportunity to meet with potential clients and building my own clientele.

I didn't like getting to the office at 7:30am

It is a great opportunity, you will receive first class training and development as well as getting the real world experience you need to determine if this is a career you are interested in pursuing.

Ho do you deal with and respond to disappointment.

Advice to Management

I feel the organization could make a greater impact in the community if we had a more diverse group of advisors.

Life changing experience, able to experience real work taks
Orlando, FL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Time flexibility

Building a client data base on people you know

Have to manage your time responsibly in order to take advantage of the internship

Why you choose the finance industry

Advice to Management

More training

For those who are or want to be the best of the best, give Northwestern Mutual a shot. There's no downside.
Seattle, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The training is fantastic. Learning about such important topics like financial planning, budget analysis, and running a business can't be replaced. Whether or not an intern goes full-time with the company, they'll be a better person and more employable after the internship. The office culture is fantastic as well. I love the competitive nature because everyone wants to succeed as badly as they want to breathe, but they also want to see others succeed. They want to be the best by beating the best. Tons of great, fun people, and the internship strikes a perfect balance - for me - between professional and fun. The pay is unbeatable to.

It's such a copmetitive field, that there is a ton of turnover in the industry. It can be hard to befriend someone as you're watching them fail out of something that they want badly.

Some people simply aren't cut out for this career. It's extremely independent, and a lot of people don't like the fact that they're 100% responsible for their income and lifestyle. Others may not like that it's 100% commission based. I'd say try it and really submit yourself 100% to it before you decide it's not for you. The people who make this a career are really, really happy. It'd be a shame to not make the most of such a good opportunity.

First interview is very stereotypical, but less formal. Tell me about yourself. Strengths/weaknesses. What's your 5, 10, and 20 year plan. Tell me a time of adversity, etc. The second interview is super unique and really cool. They ask us to put together a powerpoint presentation covering a series of questions and trying to sell ourselves to the company. Things like: why this industry, why this company, what are your goals, what makes you different, what motivates you, what do you want from us, etc. This is where we ask them some questions as well to figure out if it could be a fit for us. The third interview is with our potential mentor to hear more about the career, expectations, and get a chance to really dig deep and as questions. They want to see from us the same things that anyone else does, but it's super cool to talk to a mentor rather than a recruiter during the interview process.

Advice to Management

Overall communication can be spotty sometimes. Whether it's requirements for a competition or conditions to get paid, they're not always as clear as possible. That's probably just a bureacracy issue, but it can be annoying. Other than that minor issue, I'd say keep doing what they're doing, finding great kids, and training them to be the best version of themselves.

Test drive a career and begin my practice with a running start.
Kalamazoo, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Experience, personal growth, connections made, and education.

Studying for the state licensing exams. No fun!

Give it a try. If you're interested in investments, insurance, sales, or financial planning, it's a great way to test drive a career.

Why do you want to work in an organization? What do you see as your upward mobility in your career path?

Advice to Management

Nothing

Starting your own business, determine your own pay.
Springfield, MO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

You make as much money as you work for. You have an opportunity to start a business early on.

It's heavily commission based. No set pay. This is also the biggest benefit, for there is no cap on your income.

YOu have to be driven, self motivated, willing to put up with a lot of pressure, and becoming comfortable being uncomfortable.

My biggest role model; why

Advice to Management

NONE

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)