Northwestern Mutual Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #1 Best Financial Services Internships  /  #5 Best Overall Internships

4.7 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 378 Intern Reviews)

For those who are or want to be the best of the best, give Northwestern Mutual a shot. There's no downside.
Seattle, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The training is fantastic. Learning about such important topics like financial planning, budget analysis, and running a business can't be replaced. Whether or not an intern goes full-time with the company, they'll be a better person and more employable after the internship. The office culture is fantastic as well. I love the competitive nature because everyone wants to succeed as badly as they want to breathe, but they also want to see others succeed. They want to be the best by beating the best. Tons of great, fun people, and the internship strikes a perfect balance - for me - between professional and fun. The pay is unbeatable to.

It's such a copmetitive field, that there is a ton of turnover in the industry. It can be hard to befriend someone as you're watching them fail out of something that they want badly.

Some people simply aren't cut out for this career. It's extremely independent, and a lot of people don't like the fact that they're 100% responsible for their income and lifestyle. Others may not like that it's 100% commission based. I'd say try it and really submit yourself 100% to it before you decide it's not for you. The people who make this a career are really, really happy. It'd be a shame to not make the most of such a good opportunity.

First interview is very stereotypical, but less formal. Tell me about yourself. Strengths/weaknesses. What's your 5, 10, and 20 year plan. Tell me a time of adversity, etc. The second interview is super unique and really cool. They ask us to put together a powerpoint presentation covering a series of questions and trying to sell ourselves to the company. Things like: why this industry, why this company, what are your goals, what makes you different, what motivates you, what do you want from us, etc. This is where we ask them some questions as well to figure out if it could be a fit for us. The third interview is with our potential mentor to hear more about the career, expectations, and get a chance to really dig deep and as questions. They want to see from us the same things that anyone else does, but it's super cool to talk to a mentor rather than a recruiter during the interview process.

Advice to Management

Overall communication can be spotty sometimes. Whether it's requirements for a competition or conditions to get paid, they're not always as clear as possible. That's probably just a bureacracy issue, but it can be annoying. Other than that minor issue, I'd say keep doing what they're doing, finding great kids, and training them to be the best version of themselves.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Excitingly eye opening experience into the financial services industry
Providence, RI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

real world experience

I can't say that their was anything I disliked.

you own your own business

Financial Freedom is Glorious
Madison, WI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Freedom to fail.

Lack of structure in remote offices.

Network yourself so deep in groups of people, it doesn't matter what job you want or need; the network will help you find your groove.

Advice to Management

Slush fund for new interns to get out and market themselves would be helpful.

Rewarding
Dallas, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Experince

Training

Compensation Potential

Competitions

I cant think of anything I would improve

Do the advised work and this will be the best experince ever.

I saving important to you?
Indianapolis, IN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Growing personally and professionally

There are no cons. If you are motivated to succeed, it's hard not to

Come in open minded and prepared to work hard

Growth: professionally, but more importantly personally
Minneapolis, MN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Starting your career before you graduate.

The internship is not easy. It can be difficult for others to take you serious in regards to their finances when they aren't sure if you will be here in 3 months.

If you are willing to work hard an create your own future and be 100% in control of your life there is no better place to be.

My interview process was based around my goals and dreams and Northwestern trying to make sure this was a good fit for me.

-what was a difficult event in your life and how did you overcome it.

Advice to Management

Based on industry averages our retention as a firm almost quadruples the chance of success if you come from our internship. We need to and are continuing to work on diversity within our firm.

You get out what you put in
Springfield, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

You schedule your own time. Meet with the people you want to meet with. Whatever effort you put in is what you will get out of the internship

It takes time to get paid because of the cycle

Set a goal and decide to reach it. Then dont stop until you do

What is your willingness to ask for help from coaches and mentors?

Advice to Management

I would change nothing, perhaps more willingness to cover costs of Representatives, however the more skin I have in the game the harder I will be working

Creativity and Elegance required
Pittsburgh, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Pay, time flexibility, leadership, "open -doorness", expirence

Nothing

Be ready to become exposed to the real life of a CEO right away. Quick decisions that need to be good are required and you must become and expert at balance and efficiency.

Tell me about a time you failed at something and how did you learn from it.

Advice to Management

I don't believe the organization needs to improve here. Obviously you can always to do better with the aforementioned items but I believe NM's internship program truly should be ranked #1 in the company

The greatest opportunity of my life.
Raleigh, NC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I got to build my own buisness. I even hired my first employee while I was a senior in college. I also got to work face to face with clients and really help them.

You are starting a business and if you treat it as such it can take a lot of time.

Be open and willing to really give this a shot and put in the work to find out if this is a good fit for you.

Advice to Management

A little more training on specific contracts and products could not hurt.

Maximize Your Ability To Succeed
Indianapolis, IN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture was incredible as well the leadership that I attained. It opened my mind to a different style of thinking.

Commission, but the stipend helped.

If you have an entrepreneurial spirit and want to work hard, this is the perfect experience.

Name a time that you have faced adversity?

Advice to Management

More incentives and competitions to make us work a bit harder.