Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

Real Life, hands on internship!

Princeton, NJ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

the training and hands on learning by doing joint work with veteran reps.

Hard to keep up while back at shcool. More for summer.

tyr it and you will know if the career is for you.

Real life experience

Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting with clients, learning what the actual career is like

A lot of training

If you want to own your own business and have face-to-face interaction with clients, also the coaching is great!

Do you want to be rewarded for your efforts/performance

Advice to Management

More activity on the campus

The internship with endless opportunities.

Minneapolis, MN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Independence, success manual, camaraderie, opportunity

When meetings would not show up.

Work hard, stay committed, and listen to leadership/veteren representatives.

Questions around what motivates me?

What is my biggest accomplishment?

A time where I faced conflict and how I overcame it.

For those who are or want to be the best of the best, give Northwestern Mutual a shot. There's no downside.

Seattle, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The training is fantastic. Learning about such important topics like financial planning, budget analysis, and running a business can't be replaced. Whether or not an intern goes full-time with the company, they'll be a better person and more employable after the internship. The office culture is fantastic as well. I love the competitive nature because everyone wants to succeed as badly as they want to breathe, but they also want to see others succeed. They want to be the best by beating the best. Tons of great, fun people, and the internship strikes a perfect balance - for me - between professional and fun. The pay is unbeatable to.

It's such a copmetitive field, that there is a ton of turnover in the industry. It can be hard to befriend someone as you're watching them fail out of something that they want badly.

Some people simply aren't cut out for this career. It's extremely independent, and a lot of people don't like the fact that they're 100% responsible for their income and lifestyle. Others may not like that it's 100% commission based. I'd say try it and really submit yourself 100% to it before you decide it's not for you. The people who make this a career are really, really happy. It'd be a shame to not make the most of such a good opportunity.

First interview is very stereotypical, but less formal. Tell me about yourself. Strengths/weaknesses. What's your 5, 10, and 20 year plan. Tell me a time of adversity, etc. The second interview is super unique and really cool. They ask us to put together a powerpoint presentation covering a series of questions and trying to sell ourselves to the company. Things like: why this industry, why this company, what are your goals, what makes you different, what motivates you, what do you want from us, etc. This is where we ask them some questions as well to figure out if it could be a fit for us. The third interview is with our potential mentor to hear more about the career, expectations, and get a chance to really dig deep and as questions. They want to see from us the same things that anyone else does, but it's super cool to talk to a mentor rather than a recruiter during the interview process.

Advice to Management

Overall communication can be spotty sometimes. Whether it's requirements for a competition or conditions to get paid, they're not always as clear as possible. That's probably just a bureacracy issue, but it can be annoying. Other than that minor issue, I'd say keep doing what they're doing, finding great kids, and training them to be the best version of themselves.

Got me where I am

Pittsburgh, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

This internship was the reason I got into this business. I am forever grateful for the opporutnity and feel so luck for having been in this program.

I don't have a bad thing to say.

Go into it with and open mind and DO what your supervisors suggest. Worst case scenario you will learn a great number of skills you can do with your next endavour. If you half ass it you will be dissappointed with the experience.

Start your own bussiness.

Little Rock, AR | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being my own boss.

The volatility of your work week.

Be prepared to work hard.

Advice to Management

More organization with the contracting process.

Starting your own business, determine your own pay.

Springfield, MO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

You make as much money as you work for. You have an opportunity to start a business early on.

It's heavily commission based. No set pay. This is also the biggest benefit, for there is no cap on your income.

YOu have to be driven, self motivated, willing to put up with a lot of pressure, and becoming comfortable being uncomfortable.

My biggest role model; why

Advice to Management

NONE

If you want safety, go else where, but remember nothing ever grows in a place of comfort.

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Pay can be great. Ability to network. control of schedule.

Not being understood by people not in the field or who have no prior knowledge of it.

Take this opportunity seriously, you will be playing with live ammo.

The oppertunity of a LIFE TIME

Portland, OR | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

You get to test drive a career

Being self empoyed and having to learn to organized my own day. Not having someone telling me when it was due.

Test drive the career and get to know the carecter of the organization and find out if it will be a fit for you.

The Road to Achievement

Memphis, TN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect of the internship is the actual experience itself. Interns are able to work as a full time rep as a part time student. I outperformed the majority of my office as a student. Northwestern Mutual also has various contest for its interns such as Winter Camp for the top producing interns during the fall semester. I ranked #9 for the contest and was chosen to speak at the contest camp held at the home office!

There is nothing I would dislike about Northwestern Mutual's Internship!

The opportunity to build your business as a college intern and graduate with a full financial practice is a strong opportunity. You are able to help people achieve financial goals while making good money in the mean time.