Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

Real Life, hands on internship!

Princeton, NJ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

the training and hands on learning by doing joint work with veteran reps.

Hard to keep up while back at shcool. More for summer.

tyr it and you will know if the career is for you.

A competitive, fun, and challeneging way to learn the indusrty

Pittsburgh, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I learned more than I did in school. I was able to grow up as an individual while getting real life experience. I didn't have to grab coffee or do administrative work.

It was stressful at times.

Everybody should at least give it a shot. I never thought of this as a career when I started, but I gave it a chance and now I am here.

What makes you a good fit?

Advice to Management

I think it is fine the way it is. As long as you take the internship seriously and are coachable you will learn more than in any other internship.

Real life experience

Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting with clients, learning what the actual career is like

A lot of training

If you want to own your own business and have face-to-face interaction with clients, also the coaching is great!

Do you want to be rewarded for your efforts/performance

Advice to Management

More activity on the campus

The internship with endless opportunities.

Minneapolis, MN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Independence, success manual, camaraderie, opportunity

When meetings would not show up.

Work hard, stay committed, and listen to leadership/veteren representatives.

Questions around what motivates me?

What is my biggest accomplishment?

A time where I faced conflict and how I overcame it.

Excitingly eye opening experience into the financial services industry

Providence, RI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

real world experience

I can't say that their was anything I disliked.

you own your own business

If you want safety, go else where, but remember nothing ever grows in a place of comfort.

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Pay can be great. Ability to network. control of schedule.

Not being understood by people not in the field or who have no prior knowledge of it.

Take this opportunity seriously, you will be playing with live ammo.

excellent chance to test drive the career

Denver, CO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

great experience in real world

rejection with prospects

stick it out

Help others live courageously and with purpose

Salt Lake City, UT | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

1. Flexibility, I never have to miss something important because of work

2. Helping great people protect their family through insurance

3. Future potential for income is really high

Commission based jobs are very motivating but can be stressful on a family

Be willing to put in the time and effort to be successful, and look past the no’s

Growth: professionally, but more importantly personally

Minneapolis, MN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Starting your career before you graduate.

The internship is not easy. It can be difficult for others to take you serious in regards to their finances when they aren't sure if you will be here in 3 months.

If you are willing to work hard an create your own future and be 100% in control of your life there is no better place to be.

My interview process was based around my goals and dreams and Northwestern trying to make sure this was a good fit for me.

-what was a difficult event in your life and how did you overcome it.

Advice to Management

Based on industry averages our retention as a firm almost quadruples the chance of success if you come from our internship. We need to and are continuing to work on diversity within our firm.

For those who are or want to be the best of the best, give Northwestern Mutual a shot. There's no downside.

Seattle, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The training is fantastic. Learning about such important topics like financial planning, budget analysis, and running a business can't be replaced. Whether or not an intern goes full-time with the company, they'll be a better person and more employable after the internship. The office culture is fantastic as well. I love the competitive nature because everyone wants to succeed as badly as they want to breathe, but they also want to see others succeed. They want to be the best by beating the best. Tons of great, fun people, and the internship strikes a perfect balance - for me - between professional and fun. The pay is unbeatable to.

It's such a copmetitive field, that there is a ton of turnover in the industry. It can be hard to befriend someone as you're watching them fail out of something that they want badly.

Some people simply aren't cut out for this career. It's extremely independent, and a lot of people don't like the fact that they're 100% responsible for their income and lifestyle. Others may not like that it's 100% commission based. I'd say try it and really submit yourself 100% to it before you decide it's not for you. The people who make this a career are really, really happy. It'd be a shame to not make the most of such a good opportunity.

First interview is very stereotypical, but less formal. Tell me about yourself. Strengths/weaknesses. What's your 5, 10, and 20 year plan. Tell me a time of adversity, etc. The second interview is super unique and really cool. They ask us to put together a powerpoint presentation covering a series of questions and trying to sell ourselves to the company. Things like: why this industry, why this company, what are your goals, what makes you different, what motivates you, what do you want from us, etc. This is where we ask them some questions as well to figure out if it could be a fit for us. The third interview is with our potential mentor to hear more about the career, expectations, and get a chance to really dig deep and as questions. They want to see from us the same things that anyone else does, but it's super cool to talk to a mentor rather than a recruiter during the interview process.

Advice to Management

Overall communication can be spotty sometimes. Whether it's requirements for a competition or conditions to get paid, they're not always as clear as possible. That's probably just a bureacracy issue, but it can be annoying. Other than that minor issue, I'd say keep doing what they're doing, finding great kids, and training them to be the best version of themselves.