Awesome
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real work experience

Nothing at all

Think about where you want to be 5+ years from now and decide if this can get you there

Real work expeerience that test drives a career of building your own business.
Springfield, MO | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The training for this internship really gives its interns the development they need for the career. The work you do as an intern does not differ far from someone who is full-time so you really get to find out if this career is right for you through the internship.

The expected activity is tough and majority of the pay is commission. When you do the activity, it is really rewarding. If it was easy then everyone would be doing it.

The training for this internship teaches you how to build a business. Those skills can be applied to any career.

Advice to Management

Better communication upfront of what is expected of interns day to day. Many interns end up asking a lot of questions to full-time employees that do not want to be bothered from 9-5.

Northwestern Mutual provides the most valuable experience in the finance world of internships.
Minneapolis, MN | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The client interaction coupled with real life business ownership experience.

I just wanted to be done with school so that I could run a financial services practice fulltime.

This internship could lead to your first and last job of your life. It's absolutely worth trying.

Advice to Management

Diversity can always help any workplace in America. I see that as an area of opportunity.

Literally the best thing that has ever happenned to me. Absolutely life changing in the best way possible
Saint Louis, MO | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

the real world hands on experience; I learned more about the insurance/financial services industry in 3 months doing this internship than I did during 4 years of college business school.

You have to be self motivated and must be willing to work hard!

Only the strong survive and succeed in this internship/career. It is truly hands on real world experience; interns are doing the same thing that the full time reps do, the numbers expectations for interns is lower than full-time, but you do the exact same thing the full-timers do.

Advice to Management

Northwestern Mutual is such an amazing company that they have all aspects of management down to a science. Some offices will differ from others, but the network I am in I have zero complaints; I can always find help when I need it, the compensation is more than fair, and I decide my own hours. There is a fairly high turnover rate, but that is because most people can't hack it. This business is not easy, but nothing in life worth doing is easy. If you can rise above and succeed, I vehemently believe that this career can be the most satisfying career in the world.

Impact people's lives and your own for the better.
Knoxville, TN | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I just really loved the freedom it offered to run your own business with no overhead or real risk. Starting out that was a big deal to me in order to have best possible opportunity for longevity in this industry.

The fact that hte majority of the compensation was commission based was scary at first, but afterwards I wouldn't have it any other way.

Work as hard as you possibly can from the get go, don't waste a lot of time trying to learn out of a book. Spend your time learning out in the field in real life situations.

Advice to Management

I think more individual attention should be paid to the interns, because there is so much potential there for the future growth ofthe company's field force.

Work Hard, Become Eduacted, Learn to face adversity, Make a lot of money
Providence, RI | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexibility, Support, Didn't work under someone instead I had a mentor who helped guide me in the career.

The rejection.

Come in ready to work hard. The faster you start the more likely you will enjoy the internship.

Advice to Management

They honestly do a good job with being upfront with things.

A REAL CAREER TEST DRIVE
Newport Beach, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The fact that you had flexibility and could be compensated just like a full time advisor.

What i liked least was that it made me VERY uncomfortable at the time, much like any new business owner would. It was sink or swim, but in retrospect thats what made me who I am today and I'm happy with that.

The fact that this is an internship that you will grow in more than you could ever think possible. Its heavy duty and even if you dont find this career to be your passion, you will be a stronger human being.

Advice to Management

I would say it specific to the different offices. As a whole, we need to constantly improve on being great role models to our interns we bring on and make sure we have the infrastructre to support all that we promise.

The best opportunity that can be afforded to a college student.
Raleigh, NC | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Independence, Income, and Impact

There is nothing wrong that I would say here.

Take the leap!

Helping to impact the lives of others.
Boston, MA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working hands on with clients, and building strong relationships.

none that I can think of.

Come in to the internship with a strong attitude and great work ethic.

Northwestern Mutual develops college students into financially sound and successful entrepeneurs.
Seattle, WA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The office culture is great, with everyone striving to be the best versions of themselves. I love the drive within my office. I was compensated well and able to develop my own financial plan that will serve me well into the future. The perks of working in our office are great, and employee appreciation is clearly noted. Recognition is given often and when deserved. I love the relationships I have with my mentors, as I know I can go to them with any problem, professional or otherwise, and they will do their best to help me. My knowledge of personal finance has blossomed since being with Northwestern and this knowledge will serve me well going into the future.

This business has a lot of emotional up and downs, however this was mitigated by the presence of great mentors.

If you desire a future where you are largely your own boss, and able to have as much freedom as you wish, you should be willing to fight for this job.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)