Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

The most elaborate Internship in America

Orlando, FL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

You find yourself

The calling

Come ready to work hard and network a lot within and outside of the office

An incredible opportunity with unlimited benefits

Albany, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture within company is amazing. You receive education and mentoring from successful Financial Services professionals. You can make a lot of money. You bringing incredible value to the people that you meet with.

It is tough to emerge as a financial representative as an intern. You faced a lot of adversity, as with anything in life.

I wish I knew that the organization desperately desires for me to be successful and to continue on with them.

Advice to Management

The company could increase its employee retention rate.

Build your Career

Memphis, TN | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The flexibility, compensation, and recognition.

It takes driven individuals

It's very flexible

Interns grow personally and professionally while having an impact on their clients' future

Chicago, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting with clients and developing language and sales skills to encourage taking action towards financial security.

The fact that a lot of interns don't give it their all and end up leaving so much growth on the table.

I wish I knew about how accountable the leadership was. They want to see you succeed because they have a direct interest in your success. They are great people. You can be skeptical all you want, I was too, but in the end the impact we have is the real work that we do, and you will get to see that.

Advice to Management

Retention is tough with this internship, I would engage the interns through accountability structure with the new interns.

What do you want to get out of this internship?

Living the career, not observing somebody else doing it.

New York, NY | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

There was no easing in period, the internship is the career.

The freedom to do create your own calendar might be a little too lax for many students.

I think the NM training program is perfect.

Best real world experience to know if you want to become a financial planner, without the financial stress of being out of school.

Provo, UT | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

paid, flexible hours, great mentors, real life learning (not stapling and scanning), learning about a job before the social pressures of being graduated come.

It was hard seeing so many people filter themselves out of the internship as they realized it wasn't for them. But I made a lot of friends along the way!

Don't anticipate getting paid for 3-6 months because you can't force people to make decisions right away. Therefore, if you need money, come in with a 3-6 month emergency fund already built up.
Make friends with someone who has been successful, so that you can go to them with questions and they can have empathy when you are going through hard times.
Find as many ways to set goals and hold yourself accountable to those goals as possible
Do as much joint work as possible

Advice to Management

They should stress more shadowing experiences advisors to learn how to work with wealthy people earlier on.

I can't remember, that was 9 years ago

Best Internship in the U.S. that is open to all Students

Chicago, IL | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

the training and development

waking up early :)

Treat this like a full-time opportunity from day 1, it could be the best decision you make in your life

Advice to Management

nothing

Tell me about your journey thus far

start your own business today

Hartford, CT | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

the ability to have your own clients and build your own practice

commission can be hard in college

this internship was by far way better than expected. you play the role of a full time rep while still in school. it allows you to build up your client base before even graduating.

Help people live the life they were meant to live and achieve your own success along the way

Davenport, IA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

You are working in the full time capacity as an intern and building your own business

The flexibility is great but also bad if you don't manage your time properly

It is tough but rewarding work so give yourself a shot and it can change your life

Challenging yet rewarding, phenomenal professional and personal growth, and real world experience

Denver, CO | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Taking what I was learning in the classroom (as a financial planning major) and applying it to real clients scenarios. I can say none of my classmates had actual experience with clients like I did, they only knew how to deal with hypothetical fact patterns. It is obviously a lot different when there is a human being sitting across from you.

Having to balance it with school. It was tough to do both, but manageable when I set my mind to it and was efficient with my calendar. This was a growing experience as I learned to manage my time more effectively.

I wish I had known the scope of the company better. What I mean by this is the sound comprehensive planning this company does. I think many students see this internship as an insurance only deal, and while that is true in the beginning, it is so much more. For example, I passed my Series 6 and 63 in my senior year of college.

Advice to Management

Promoting Northwestern as a planning firm not just an insurance company like it used to be. Certainly insurance plays a big part in our company culture, but the opportunities here are endless and I don't think prospective students understand that.

I honestly can't remember since that was 2 years ago. They were pretty standard, such as "tell me about a time when".. things like that.