Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

Financial Rep Intern

11580, NY | April 2015 | Former Intern

Name brand recognition, good resume builder, learn some sales training and techniques

It's a sales position, you are forced to call your close family and friends and feed off of their contacts, have to make cold calls, don't really learn to many skills transferable out of sales. Plus it is basically unpaid with no base earnings, but you do get to earn commission off of any sales you make.

Comments

Definitely considering taking their internship for name recognition, if you are interested in insurance they have a pretty good reputation in the industry.

If you want safety, go else where, but remember nothing ever grows in a place of comfort.

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Pay can be great. Ability to network. control of schedule.

Not being understood by people not in the field or who have no prior knowledge of it.

Take this opportunity seriously, you will be playing with live ammo.

A real trial, for real life!

Knoxville, TN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexability with time and no limit on compensation. It was commision based

I wish I would have known about it earlier.

Put in your best effort up front to really gauge if this is something you could do the rest of your life

Real work experience while building your own business.

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real experience, builiding a client base for myself, learning professional skills that can be applied to any industry, and being held accountable for my own business.

It was largely commission based, but there were other stipends and financial incentives.

This company and business rewards high work ethic. What you put into this, is what you will earn out of it. It is incredibly rewarding.

Tell me about a time you had to overcome something and what you did to do it?

What is your biggest fear?

Describe your dream job.

Advice to Management

Be more upfront about the dress code during the hiring process. It would also be helpful to have a different training/orientation for interns with a certain level of experience instead of resending them back through training with new hires.

Great Opportunity to Test Drive a Career

Albany, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great on the resume. Realife & hands on experience.

nothing I didnt likeexceept I wish I started prior to senior year.

Seize this opportunity.

What do you want out of a career?

Advice to Management

Interns are like baby birds. They need attention or they will not make it. Continue to offer the excellent support servives.

Test drive a career and begin my practice with a running start.

Kalamazoo, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Experience, personal growth, connections made, and education.

Studying for the state licensing exams. No fun!

Give it a try. If you're interested in investments, insurance, sales, or financial planning, it's a great way to test drive a career.

Why do you want to work in an organization? What do you see as your upward mobility in your career path?

Advice to Management

Nothing

You're Options are Endless

Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting my experience before graduation was key, setting up my business to be a well oiled machine.

None, I had an unbelievable experience.

Don't let your fears get in the way of your potential.

Why did you apply for this internship?

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to get the freshman and sophmores in as AFR's to learn the business.

A competitive, fun, and challeneging way to learn the indusrty

Pittsburgh, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I learned more than I did in school. I was able to grow up as an individual while getting real life experience. I didn't have to grab coffee or do administrative work.

It was stressful at times.

Everybody should at least give it a shot. I never thought of this as a career when I started, but I gave it a chance and now I am here.

What makes you a good fit?

Advice to Management

I think it is fine the way it is. As long as you take the internship seriously and are coachable you will learn more than in any other internship.

The oppertunity of a LIFE TIME

Portland, OR | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

You get to test drive a career

Being self empoyed and having to learn to organized my own day. Not having someone telling me when it was due.

Test drive the career and get to know the carecter of the organization and find out if it will be a fit for you.

Got me where I am

Pittsburgh, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

This internship was the reason I got into this business. I am forever grateful for the opporutnity and feel so luck for having been in this program.

I don't have a bad thing to say.

Go into it with and open mind and DO what your supervisors suggest. Worst case scenario you will learn a great number of skills you can do with your next endavour. If you half ass it you will be dissappointed with the experience.