Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

Setting the Story Straight on the Northwestern Mutual Internship **PLEASE READ**

63005, MO | June 2016 | FORMER INTERN

Let me start off by saying, I actually accepted and tried this internship, unlike any false reviews you will find on the web merely bashing this opportunity.
Incredible opportunity for growth both personally and professionally.
Incredible sales experience and very respectable sales training.
Opportunity for unlimited and self-determined compensation (literally the world is yours, everyone needs life insurance).
Ability to say that you "started your own business/practice" (this sounds ridiculous looking at it from the outside, but you really do start your own practice)
You are starting your career in this field as soon as you start, this is not an "internship," this is the possibility to begin your career and build your practice while still in college.

Starting your practice in this industry is incredibly difficult and it requires a ton of willpower.
It takes a special amount of motivation to succeed at this.
Quotas and "expectations" are daunting at first.
Training can seem like a lot very quickly.
Starting with your "warm market" can prove awkward and difficult, but it is completely necessary for success.

Comments

I completed this review because I want to pass down real, true, and fair advice on this internship. There is a lot of bs out there on the internet about people who had terrible experiences and it seems like people either love this or absolutely hate it. A little bit on my experience with this internship.

I pursued this as a 2nd semester freshman, which proved to be much too early for me.

I interviewed with two different branches (this gave me a better understanding of the fact that some internships are run much better than others, depending on the branch)

I stressed and worried about my decision for 3 months during the spring, going back and forth on whether to accept in the summer. I ended up deciding to do so.

I went through the first week of training and phoning and I resigned the first day back of the second week.

Ultimately what it comes down to with this internship is "do you want success?" I was fortunate enough to be provided with a great mentor, college unit director and branch manager, I was surrounded by incredible people that wanted me to succeed and pushed me. I simply could not find the motivation to give 110% to make my internship a success. The story may have been different if I did this as a junior going to be senior knowing my workforce entrance is a short year away. I took this to get experience with sales/professional environment and to have a resume builder, and that simply is not enough motivation to succeed with the stresses of running a business. I ruined my first weekend by waking up stressed and it came down to me not wanting to be miserably stressed over something I didn't have the motivation to succeed at. This internship is not horrible, it is not "straight from satan." Anyone that tells you this is the "Cutco knives" of the insurance world is horribly wrong. To start in this industry, you must draw on your warm market, yes (friends and family), but when you get into the mindset that you are building a business and can give your all to

Former Financial Representative Intern

Boca Raton, FL | November 2015 | FORMER INTERN

Few internships offer pay, especially as a first year college student. As an intern, you are paid a weekly stipend and a commission based on your sales, though a large majority of your commission is automatically given to the Manager you work with. You can take the opportunity and run with it, making a large amount of money over a summer, but it comes with the downers.

They expect you to sell to your network - friends, family, peers - and there were multiple times where I felt taken advantage of. You are working the phones for most of the day, and when your network runs dry, you turn to cold calling. Frequently, I felt like the Manager was just using me for additional commission.

Comments

If you take the internship, make sure understand the downers. If you're okay with them, you have the potential to make good money over a summer. The internship is reputable as is the company, especially if it is on your resume as an underclassman.

Launching pad for a life of flexibility and limitless opportunity while being able to serve others.

Lincoln, NE | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexibility, income, and being able to truly experience what a full time career would be like.

The hardest part for me was being in the people business and figuring out that people are very undependable from time to time. When you are trying to help improve someone's life financially and they don't follow through on what they tell you they want to do was frustrating for me initially.

This is a great opportunity to learn skills as an entrepreneur and how to build a successful business. If you are a motivated individual who dreams of a career with unlimited income potential, complete flexibility in your personal life, and values helping people you can not go wrong test driving this career.

Advice to Management

Help paint the picture for the interns to know what is really possible with this career. Share examples of career advisors who started out in the internship program and are having amazing success.

top 5 best choices I have ever made!

Dubuque, IA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to impact peoples lives in a life changing way

the Commission part of things can makes things rough but if you work hard and keep your head down it pays of in the long run

Look at it as a potential career not an internship

Advice to Management

encourage the interns to be in the office more and make them earn the freedom.

Become a financial advisor with training and mentorship from the top advisors in the business!

Minneapolis, MN | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The mentorship and guidance from the successful full time advisors
The ability to earn a substantial income even as an intern
The freedom to control my own schedule
Doing something that truly benefits people

Not knowing if you were going to make money that week or month to be able to pay your bills

Be willing to put the work in and you will be successful in the business and make more money then most people out of college in full time careers

Advice to Management

Keep interns more accountable so they don't develop bad habits before they take the career full time

The interview was pretty relaxed they just want to get to know you as a person to see if you'd be a good fit for the office culture as well as good at the career

REAL EXPERIENCE AT IT's FINEST!

Chicago, IL | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I learned about financial planning and that is something helpful for the rest of my life!

I would have enjoyed spending more time with the senior advisors, learning their perspective on why they made the recommendation they made!

identify IF a full time oppty really exists PRIOR to the start of the internship!!!??!!

Advice to Management

we could be more diverse!

how would you handle the following situation? what is the toughest situation you have been dealt with? whats your biggest strength and weakness?

When you know your why, you can endure any how.

Peoria, IL | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexibility, opportunity to test drive the career, ability to make an impact, opportunity to learn about insurance and personal financial planning

Phoning was the thing I least liked doing.

Never quit. Realize how big of an opportunity this is, embrace it, and remember: when you know your why, you can ensure any how.

Advice to Management

Training more in depth in all phases of the career.

What are your strengths?
What are your weaknesses?
What are you passionate about?

hard work will yield great rewards

Columbus, OH | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

test driving the actual career

it was hard!

if you're going to do this, give it your best shot and treat it like a full time career. only way you'll know if its right for you

A true experience of what it would be like to be full time.

Princeton, NJ | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Impact we had on people. Independence. Potential for income was big! Lots of training and hands on experience.

liked it all!

go through the interview process fully and they will help you determine if it is a good fit for you.

Real life experience, great training, great compensation program

Boston, MA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Paid program, working with people, out in the field a lot

no real draw backs from my experience, I wish I had come across them earlier in my college career

be coachable, they have a recipe for success, use it!

ask for "track record of success"

How do you define hard work? and what are some examples of how you display?