Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

Northwestern Mutual College intern

Columbus, OH | July 2016 | CURRENT INTERN

Mentors
Great work environment
No cap on the amount of success you can have
Great personal/ business growth

Very little guaranteed income
A lot of prep to get done before you can start the internship

Comments

It is a great environment to grow and push yourself to step outside of your comfort zone. The best thing about the internship is the amount of growth you see in yourself. It is personal and professional growth. You also have access to so many resources to help you be successful. You are rewarded for ALL of your effort and there is no cap on the amount of success you can have!

Incredible Experience

Columbus, OH | July 2016 | CURRENT INTERN

Great experience for anyone that is looking for a real life internship. This is not some internship that has you do everyone's dirty work and run errand. In this position, you are actually beginning your own business. This job is not for everyone though. You should be open to being uncomfortable and putting yourself out there. There is unlimited to potential to move up in the company through this internship and convert to full-time. The people here are incredible and I will take this experience with me forever. Not to mention that this is a top 10 internship nationally and it will look great on any resume. Not to mention the compensation is also limitless depending on how hard you work.

This is not a career path for everyone. You should be more on the extroverted side and open to being uncomfortable at times.

Comments

Make sure that you have people to reach out to for financial planning purposes. Anyone is a good candidate, just make sure you are more extroverted than introverted.

BEWARE OF THIS INTERNSHIP

San Francisco | July 2016 | FORMER INTERN

Zero uppers with this internship. Avoid at all costs! You will regret accepting this internship.

THESE PEOPLE ARE USING INTERNS TO SELL INSURANCE. YOU ARE FORCED TO SELL INSURANCE TO YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS.

The first thing asked of me, before I was even accepted, was to make a list of family members and friends I think I could sell insurance to. Days include sitting at a desk and cold calling people trying to sell them insurance. NM should be ashamed of themselves for using people and their families like this.

Comments

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME

I did... I'm trying to help people out there trying to get an internship.

Setting the Story Straight on the Northwestern Mutual Internship **PLEASE READ**

63005, MO | June 2016 | FORMER INTERN

Let me start off by saying, I actually accepted and tried this internship, unlike any false reviews you will find on the web merely bashing this opportunity.
Incredible opportunity for growth both personally and professionally.
Incredible sales experience and very respectable sales training.
Opportunity for unlimited and self-determined compensation (literally the world is yours, everyone needs life insurance).
Ability to say that you "started your own business/practice" (this sounds ridiculous looking at it from the outside, but you really do start your own practice)
You are starting your career in this field as soon as you start, this is not an "internship," this is the possibility to begin your career and build your practice while still in college.

Starting your practice in this industry is incredibly difficult and it requires a ton of willpower.
It takes a special amount of motivation to succeed at this.
Quotas and "expectations" are daunting at first.
Training can seem like a lot very quickly.
Starting with your "warm market" can prove awkward and difficult, but it is completely necessary for success.

Comments

I completed this review because I want to pass down real, true, and fair advice on this internship. There is a lot of bs out there on the internet about people who had terrible experiences and it seems like people either love this or absolutely hate it. A little bit on my experience with this internship.

I pursued this as a 2nd semester freshman, which proved to be much too early for me.

I interviewed with two different branches (this gave me a better understanding of the fact that some internships are run much better than others, depending on the branch)

I stressed and worried about my decision for 3 months during the spring, going back and forth on whether to accept in the summer. I ended up deciding to do so.

I went through the first week of training and phoning and I resigned the first day back of the second week.

Ultimately what it comes down to with this internship is "do you want success?" I was fortunate enough to be provided with a great mentor, college unit director and branch manager, I was surrounded by incredible people that wanted me to succeed and pushed me. I simply could not find the motivation to give 110% to make my internship a success. The story may have been different if I did this as a junior going to be senior knowing my workforce entrance is a short year away. I took this to get experience with sales/professional environment and to have a resume builder, and that simply is not enough motivation to succeed with the stresses of running a business. I ruined my first weekend by waking up stressed and it came down to me not wanting to be miserably stressed over something I didn't have the motivation to succeed at. This internship is not horrible, it is not "straight from satan." Anyone that tells you this is the "Cutco knives" of the insurance world is horribly wrong. To start in this industry, you must draw on your warm market, yes (friends and family), but when you get into the mindset that you are building a business and can give your all to

Get ready for an experience that will shape you personally, professionaly, and financially!

Irvine, CA | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The training and mentorship.
The challenge it brings forth.
Earn as much money as you work for.
The people we work with and are mentored by.
Values like integrity are frequently taught and are shown by example.
You learn soft skills (communication, prospecting, negotiation, etc.) and hard skills (building plans, learning about the insurance and investment world).

Requires a great amount of hours and hard work in order to make money doing it.
You are constantly challenged to push through the pressure asking for referrals.

You will learn so much if you just give it all you can in a minimum time span of 6 months.
Do what they tell you! It can be easy to second guess and go your own way. The firm is over 150 years old. Listen to their experience.
Pursue your goals, but never compromise the client's best interest!

Advice to Management

The supervisors should show a little more respect for the interns. Listen to the interns' concerns and help them with their perspective instead of just telling them to do the right things.

I really cannot remember much about their questions.
It is important to show you are personable, and can hold a conversation well.
Ask the interviewer questions.
Be engaging!

I took the challenge and it was the best decision of my life.

Minneapolis, MN | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexibility. Pay. Training. Building your own business. The people/culture.

Initially I did not like the fact that I had to do a lot of traveling. But that changed when I started scheduling meetings in the office. It also can get frustrating when people reschedule/cancel meetings on you last minute.

It takes a lot of hard work and dedication. But it is the best experience you could possibly ask for out of an internship.

Advice to Management

Better explanation/easier process through the onboarding/interview process (which I know is/was being worked on) to help get candidates through the process quicker.

What motivates me the most.
Where do I see myself in 3 years, 5 years, 10 years.
What was the biggest hardship/problem that I had to overcome and how did I do it? What did I learn from it? What would I have done differently?

A summer of personal and professional growth.

Minneapolis, MN | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Helping clients and learning a ton!

I worked a lot more than my other college friends.

Be ready to work harder than all of your friends.

Advice to Management

More help when transitioning from the internship to full-time.

Why would you be a good fit for this career and what are you most worried about?

Best Company in America Looking for Best and Brightest Interns in America !

Rochester, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

training, education, flexibility, comp.

nothing is bad

You get to run your own business and test drive a career. You will learn about your strengths and be coached by top class people.

Think outside of the mindset. Perfect

Tampa, FL | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

leadership excellence/commitment
the investment NM makes for its interns is outstanding
I found my family and can't thank them enough for their support

I hate making phone calls, but the training helped me get through it

Get ready to WORK.

Advice to Management

Hold the rest of the office as accountable as you do interns. Lead by example.

Best Real World Experience