Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Submit a Review

College Financial Representative Review

Troy, MI | June 2015 | FORMER INTERN

You learn a lot in training, and it is not only a great resume builder, but a great opportunity to learn a lot about financial products.

It's a lot more sales than made out to be, very much like selling insurance as that is their bread and butter

Comments

It is a great experience, but you really have to be prepared to be in a sales mode far more so than an analytical mode.

It's What You Make of It

Chicago | May 2015 | FORMER INTERN

A lot of training and industry specific information. Resume builder. Sale and sector specific experience and skills development.

You are thrown head first into selling financial instruments you don't yet understand to your friends and family. The expectations for leads and meetings outpaces improved training, so it truly is a blind sales gig for a rough stretch.

Comments

If you're going to do it, you need to be sure that selling to people you know is something you are capable of. It starts out really tough and if you're not prepared for that you will burn out before you establish a base.

Financial Rep Intern

11580, NY | April 2015 | FORMER INTERN

Name brand recognition, good resume builder, learn some sales training and techniques

It's a sales position, you are forced to call your close family and friends and feed off of their contacts, have to make cold calls, don't really learn to many skills transferable out of sales. Plus it is basically unpaid with no base earnings, but you do get to earn commission off of any sales you make.

Comments

Definitely considering taking their internship for name recognition, if you are interested in insurance they have a pretty good reputation in the industry.

Incredible sales opportunity to become a financial advisor with Northwestern Mutual!

Boulder, CO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The independence while still getting a lot of training and development. The unlimited financial opportunity to make more than any other interhship in the world

It was all up to me!

Your resutls and compensation will be directly correlated to your hard work, skills/development, and coachability.

What is your 1 and 3 year vision personally, professionally and financially?

Advice to Management

Make sure they know it is a sales opportunity, that is why it is uncapped financially and why their is so much flexiblity

In-depth look at a career. No other way to learn as much as by doing. Great chance to test drive what has become a phenomenal career.

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Seeing the industry from the inside out; gained more professioanal experience of learning how to treat others and be treated as a professional; by virtue of the role of a financial rep, you meet an incredibly large amount of people very quickly

There was less structure around my development at the time, but the program has evolved materially since then.

Everything my firm told me about this business has been true.

Want to be the only dad at 1:30pm soccer practice on Wednesday? Want to make a difference in peoples lives? Want to control income? Join NM.

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people within Northwestern Mutual actually cared to see us grow. They wanted the best for us.

The copy machine broke a lot...

Don't let the hard work scare you off. The amount of hard work anything in life takes is proportionally equal to the amount of return you get.

Most careers offer the same deal: Work hard, and if you want a promotion work harder. If you want more income and promotions work harder AND give up your time. If you still want more income and promotions work harder, give up your time, AND give up the option to be there for your family. As you go up the ladder you may gain money and career progression, but you sacrifice your personal and family success. it's painful any way you look at it. At NM, if you put your hard work in up front, you won't only gain income, you gain career significance, AND time to be there for your family. Do you want your pain now, or later? It's your choice.

To get offered my position I went through 4 interviews. I also took a aptitude test. I met recruiters, fiancial advisors, and my offices Managing Direct. They told me everything; the good, the bad. I saw ample plans, products. I learned how the company was structured.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in the company to make us relevant in the market place, so we can have more impact.

Test drive to a financial planning career

Ann Arbor, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real work experience

That I had to go to class with senioritis

Do as you're told. Work the system that has been in place for 150+ years.

Northwestern Mutual: Endless Opportunities

Fort Wayne, IN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Challenged me personally and professionally to get outside of my comfort zone and to make a difference in people's lives.

I wish I could've done it longer.

If you are driven and want to push yourself to maximize your God given abilities this is a great opportunity for you.

The real deal

Minneapolis, MN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Awesome mentors. Live bullet to the full time career. Positive energy and built in time for fun. Win for clients, win for the company/person if they choose to go full time, win for others who don't go full time as it leads them many times to their next career inadvertently!

People who don't stick in it the whole summer don't see the real picture of opportunity available

Mentors really do care about you, whether this is the career for you or leading you into your next job and being prepared for obstacles you might face

Harrison assessment

An opportunity to mature; personally, professionally & financially.

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Support, Office culture, Training, Entrepreneurial, Real life person to person interaction

It's hard work. If you're not ready to mature, it may not be a fit.

If you're looking for a career where income is relatively unlimited, you have the independence to design your own work calendar & make your own business decisions, & you want to make an impact on peoples lives, then the career at NM should be entertained. The internship program is the gateway into that career. We urge our college financial reps to testdrive this career to its maximum potential.