Northwestern Mutual Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #1 Best Financial Services Internships  /  #5 Best Overall Internships

You will grow tremendously personally, professionally, and financially this summer - all while helping people you care about
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

real world experience

making phone calls (but who likes that? :))

If you want to have REAL experience then do this. If you want to have a mindless "job" over the summer do not try it - you will be challenged and will regret this.

The Road to Achievement
Memphis, TN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect of the internship is the actual experience itself. Interns are able to work as a full time rep as a part time student. I outperformed the majority of my office as a student. Northwestern Mutual also has various contest for its interns such as Winter Camp for the top producing interns during the fall semester. I ranked #9 for the contest and was chosen to speak at the contest camp held at the home office!

There is nothing I would dislike about Northwestern Mutual's Internship!

The opportunity to build your business as a college intern and graduate with a full financial practice is a strong opportunity. You are able to help people achieve financial goals while making good money in the mean time.

Unlimited opportunity to apply a financial education to a real world career while building a business and helping others
Buffalo, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The training and support from peers and home office coupled with the autonomy and unlimited opportunity to grow, continue your education and not have a corporate glass ceiling. Working for a company that puts investing in their employees and delivering value before anything else.

Our office was underdeveloped at the time so there was no director of the program or formal mentor structure like there is now.

Work hard, follow the trianing, ask for help and always keep learning.

What motivates you most in a career?

Tell me about a time where you were faced with adversity that you had to overcome?

Are you motivated by helping others?

Advice to Management

Have a better transitional structure from the employees that have success and hit early goals that continues while they are in the early stages of their career.

Got me where I am
Pittsburgh, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

This internship was the reason I got into this business. I am forever grateful for the opporutnity and feel so luck for having been in this program.

I don't have a bad thing to say.

Go into it with and open mind and DO what your supervisors suggest. Worst case scenario you will learn a great number of skills you can do with your next endavour. If you half ass it you will be dissappointed with the experience.

You're Options are Endless
Omaha, NE | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting my experience before graduation was key, setting up my business to be a well oiled machine.

None, I had an unbelievable experience.

Don't let your fears get in the way of your potential.

Why did you apply for this internship?

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to get the freshman and sophmores in as AFR's to learn the business.

What is Your Maximum Potential?
Minneapolis, MN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The ability to make as much money as you could imagine. It is really nice to not have a salary cap. I love the flexibility that I have to take off from work whenever needed or to make my schedule work better with a prospects.

There wasn't anything I didn't like about my internship.

Work hard and you will reap the benefits early

Real Life, hands on internship!
Princeton, NJ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

the training and hands on learning by doing joint work with veteran reps.

Hard to keep up while back at shcool. More for summer.

tyr it and you will know if the career is for you.

For those who are or want to be the best of the best, give Northwestern Mutual a shot. There's no downside.
Seattle, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The training is fantastic. Learning about such important topics like financial planning, budget analysis, and running a business can't be replaced. Whether or not an intern goes full-time with the company, they'll be a better person and more employable after the internship. The office culture is fantastic as well. I love the competitive nature because everyone wants to succeed as badly as they want to breathe, but they also want to see others succeed. They want to be the best by beating the best. Tons of great, fun people, and the internship strikes a perfect balance - for me - between professional and fun. The pay is unbeatable to.

It's such a copmetitive field, that there is a ton of turnover in the industry. It can be hard to befriend someone as you're watching them fail out of something that they want badly.

Some people simply aren't cut out for this career. It's extremely independent, and a lot of people don't like the fact that they're 100% responsible for their income and lifestyle. Others may not like that it's 100% commission based. I'd say try it and really submit yourself 100% to it before you decide it's not for you. The people who make this a career are really, really happy. It'd be a shame to not make the most of such a good opportunity.

First interview is very stereotypical, but less formal. Tell me about yourself. Strengths/weaknesses. What's your 5, 10, and 20 year plan. Tell me a time of adversity, etc. The second interview is super unique and really cool. They ask us to put together a powerpoint presentation covering a series of questions and trying to sell ourselves to the company. Things like: why this industry, why this company, what are your goals, what makes you different, what motivates you, what do you want from us, etc. This is where we ask them some questions as well to figure out if it could be a fit for us. The third interview is with our potential mentor to hear more about the career, expectations, and get a chance to really dig deep and as questions. They want to see from us the same things that anyone else does, but it's super cool to talk to a mentor rather than a recruiter during the interview process.

Advice to Management

Overall communication can be spotty sometimes. Whether it's requirements for a competition or conditions to get paid, they're not always as clear as possible. That's probably just a bureacracy issue, but it can be annoying. Other than that minor issue, I'd say keep doing what they're doing, finding great kids, and training them to be the best version of themselves.

Test drive a career and begin my practice with a running start.
Kalamazoo, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Experience, personal growth, connections made, and education.

Studying for the state licensing exams. No fun!

Give it a try. If you're interested in investments, insurance, sales, or financial planning, it's a great way to test drive a career.

Why do you want to work in an organization? What do you see as your upward mobility in your career path?

Advice to Management

Nothing

Great oppritunity to meet and help a lot of people in a very meanigful career.
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

helping people and flexible schedual.

I dont really have something about the internship that i didnt like. i thought it was very well put together.

Dont hesitate ondoing this just becauseit is commision. This is an amazing experience!!!

Have you ever been in a management situation? If so, explain.

Advice to Management

I truely would noy improve my og\rganization at all!!! my advice to management would be to keep doing what your doing.