Intern at Northwestern Mutual Internship? Log in to Submit a Review

The most impactful, smartest decision in my life I have ever made was to join Northwestern Mutual as an intern in May of 2007
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Impact on peoples lives and bell-being, Freedom and Flexibility to be running your own business at such a young age, and unlimited income potential. This internship made me who I am as a person and helped me realize that I can get anything I want from life from focus and drive to help others

If you don't work hard, you don't get paid

If you want a rewarding career in life that will give you everything you've ever wanted in life, Northwestern Mutual is the place to be at.

Amazing opportunity to test drive a fantastic career and have a head-start coming out the gates.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real world experience, test driving a career, professional licensure and certification, lots of valuable learning.

There were many interns who were of high quality but also quite a few that were not and it would be nice if Northwestern Mutual would be able to screen out the ones who are not serious better...

As a true mutual and client-owned company Northwestern Mutual embraces core values of integrity and doing what is right for the clients. This culture is a really special environment to learn and become a part of.

Opportunity of a lifetime!
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting my "hands dirty" by acutally doing the job. I got to see first hand what financial planning entails for families and business because I got to do it.

Nothing. everytihng was great.

Do research into different companies and the lifestyle you want to have one day and see if they match up.

Advice to Management

Nothing, everything was great.

Northwestern Mutual provides its interns with the experience of working as a full-time financial representative with 100% support.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I love the company culture and the support staff behind it. With this internship, the only reason one could have problems is if they get in their own way.

The job itself is not the easiest as you have the same responsibilities as full-time representatives, but there are no complaints about the internship program itself.

No matter what, Northwestern Mutual will give all interns the opportunity to gain professional business experience working with clients of any caliber. The flexibility of the schedule and the additional growth opporutnities that they offer will constantly keep you on your toes and always learning.

Skills learned as a Northwestern Mutual intern accelerated my career path.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

First-Rate Training, True business experience, relationships with colleagues, pay

The daily discipline needed to be successful

This internship equips you with skills that are valuable in any professional setting. That is why employers see Northwestern Mutual experience as an asset on an resume.

Hands-on experience that gives your real taste of the full time career!
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The office location, the reputation of the company, and the resources provided to interns in order to succeed.

It was a challenge to be successful while taking classes full time.

Be ready to work hard, and reap great rewards!

Business experience in sales, financial planning and overcoming obstaces that I could not have found anywhere else

Compensation
Professional Skill Development
Networking and access to corporate culture/lifestyle

Could have used a bit more structure at the time. Was sometimes left on my own and had to ask for more support/guidance

This experience will teach you so much about yourself, the business of financial services and realtionship building skills that will be invaluable regardless of your full-time career

Personal and Professional Growth
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Development, mentorship, and ability to become a business owner

My location and lack of knowledge getting into it.

This job will test your mental strength and your ability to hold yourself accountable in what needs to be done.

Advice to Management

Diversity needs to be increased. The industry is gravitating towards diversity and I feel we need to improve on it.

Absolutely life changing. I viewed this opportunity as a career and not just a job after my internship experience. Changed my life!
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect of the internship was the fact that I had an opportunity to test drive a career with nothing to lose but opporunity cost and yet so much to gain after my success.

The title intern.

If you have a good network, enjoy independence, want to change lives and like a challenge then this is the career for you!

Advice to Management

More product specific training and better in network office recognition. Also, maybe more office activities so interns can get to know everyone better.

Northwestern Mutual: The Best Opportunity in Capitalism.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Cultivation of clients, helping people in a profound way and being paid for it.

Rejection from potential clients

The internship is an unparallelled opportunity for the student who wants endless opportunity and is self-motivated to position themselves in college for the rest of their life.

Advice to Management

There could be a larger stipend for interns.