Houlihan Lokey Internship

Date: 2013

A good broad based experience in a short amount of time

the real work - the actual working on live deals the officers are more than willing to sit down and chat and are very open

sometimes getting work that perhaps noone else wants to do

someone should consider the community feel here

Date: 2013

Great deal and client experience

I was able to work on real deals and interact with clients

Balancing everything can be tricky

Be true to yourself. This isn't for everyone.

Advice to Management

We all need to work to make this the best place possible and Houlihan should keep that individual feel approach

Date: 2013

Houlihan Lokey Offers Fun, Extremely Valuable Learning Opportunity Packaged Into 10 Week Program

The people I work with, the work I was doing itself, and the perks Houlihan provided. When you work a lot of hours in investment banking, it really is the little things that make all the difference.

It wasn't really a huge concern for me, but if I had to pick one thing, it would be the length of the internship. Because of the nature of Houlihan's lines of work (e.g. Financial Advisory Services works on a lot of deals that happen over a short period of time; Financial Restructuring Group works on fewer deals that happen over a longer amount of time), not everyone is able to see all aspects of a deal during their summer internship.

Houlihan is the kind of firm that likes to recruit people who "take the bull by the horns" and are "out-of-the-box thinkers." Strong technical skills and a willingness to learn are important.

Great Introduction into the Distressed World

The people and the nature of the work

It is banking, the hours are long

A great job if you're sure you want to do banking

Date: 2013

Worked hard with great people and enjoyed myself with the same great people

The group I worked with was fantastic. Overall, the summer intern program was great. The firm conducted weekly summer intern events that were a great bonding experience.

Ironically, more work. A designed and structured summer intern project to present at the end of the summer.

Make sure you get a long with the people you spoke with and a group of people that you think you would get along with.

Date: 2013

Valuable work experience that develops you into a well-rounded professional.

The breadth of what I was assigned to do, and the people here who form the great work culture that the firm is known to have.

Sometimes it's difficult to conceptually understand what you're working on, because everyone doesn't have enough time to explain.

Feel comfortable enough to voice your thoughts, and make yourself a valuable resource in every way possible.

Sensational people and experience

Love the culture

learning curve...which i knew more before i started but guess that is why i am an intern

Doing quality work gets you more quality work and builds your reputation...be passionate

Date: 2012

Structured 10-week program which gives investment banking interns a ton of live-deal experience and valuation exposure

High level of accountability and responsibility

M&A transactions are typically longer than the 10-week program, so interns are not able to see a deal unfold from start to finish

Start the recruiting process as early as possible. Networking is extremely important.

I found this review helpful (2 others have found this review helpful)

Date: 2012

Unbelievable experience with outstanding people

- Being given such responsibility as an intern was sensational - Working with outstanding people and a great staffer - The opportunity to really contribute - Leading to an offer - Our summer class wasfilled with great people

- Really nothing

Really thinking about the people you are working with and what you will be learning.

Advice to Management

We had almost all women in this past summer's class in my group which was very nice to see. They are always striving to do better and better which should continue to happen.

Date: 2012

A realistic snapshot of the financial restructuring world in a laid back, nurturing environment

Working directly with knowledgeable industry veterans; Working extremely hard, yet in a laid back atmosphere; Becoming a part of the social network of the restructuring group; Contributing to actual, high-profile engagements.

I felt as though experiences for different interns really varied depending on staffing. While I was fortunate to be staffed on high-profile, large deals, I felt as though others had a different experience if they were staffed on marketing or low-profile deals.

I would come in with an open mind willing to work hard and learn. The internship may be somewhat overwhelming at first - restructuring is a very complex niche and as an intern there is a very steep learning curve. I would try to ask as many questions as I possibly could and overcommunicate with my deal teams.