Intern at Houlihan Lokey Internship? Submit a Review

structured, well-rounded experience

Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

my favorite was they really tried to let me do a little bit of everything

really liked the people

sometimes i felt like i didn't get enough feedback

Houlihan Lokey is honest about the culture. what you hear is similar to your experience

Advice to Management

wish i got paid more

Amazing people and career experience

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everyone is really genuine. People feel vested and look after you

Making sure I had the right group to fit with and there was an opening but recruiting was sensational at keeping us all calm and focused

for mbas, think about what you really want

Advice to Management

Hiring more mbas where you can but not so many that you can't give offers

A. My internship experience was diverse from day to day which challenged me to keep learning and hustling to extract all the value I could o

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

A. The people were the best aspect of the internship. Employees, whether analysts or officers, were willing to take the time to ensure you were learning rather than just mindlessly completing tacks. The next best thing was the group of interns I worked with. They were all sincerely interested in helping the whole of us succeed.

A. The part of the internship I liked the least was I would ask for work in the morning and would never hear back, even after multiple follow-ups throughout the day. Communication was not good for key individuals.

A. When evaluating the firm, take note of the culture, individual personalities and other qualitative non-core business aspects of the firm. These are the things that will most likely drive your decision since the analysis is virtually identical across different firms.

Advice to Management

A. Compensation for hourly workers needs to include overtime pay since they are largely want to work along with the summer analysts to prove that the deserve a position. Without it, summer interns are lightly pushed out the door to observe compliance.

history - takes on investment banking and pleasantly surprised

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

definitely the people. you meet so many great and driven people. it's the type of environment you want to be in. both the interns and the full-time people

being in ny city for the first time and wanting to explore

apply to houlihan. it's not a place for everyone but if you are the right fit, it is going to be an amazing place. you should give it a look and don't be thrown off that it is not a bulge bracket. that is probably the best part about it.

A good broad based experience in a short amount of time

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

the real work - the actual working on live deals

the officers are more than willing to sit down and chat and are very open

sometimes getting work that perhaps noone else wants to do

someone should consider the community feel here

An intense, but ultimately very rewarding experience.

Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I appreciated the the responsibility I received. My work had a direct impact on the success of the company.

I would have liked to have completed a merger deal from start to finish.

Employees work long hours, so be prepared for that if you are considering this company or investment banking in general.

Houlihan Lokey Offers Fun, Extremely Valuable Learning Opportunity Packaged Into 10 Week Program

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I work with, the work I was doing itself, and the perks Houlihan provided. When you work a lot of hours in investment banking, it really is the little things that make all the difference.

It wasn't really a huge concern for me, but if I had to pick one thing, it would be the length of the internship. Because of the nature of Houlihan's lines of work (e.g. Financial Advisory Services works on a lot of deals that happen over a short period of time; Financial Restructuring Group works on fewer deals that happen over a longer amount of time), not everyone is able to see all aspects of a deal during their summer internship.

Houlihan is the kind of firm that likes to recruit people who "take the bull by the horns" and are "out-of-the-box thinkers." Strong technical skills and a willingness to learn are important.

Great culture

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people were great including the interns

Loved the summer intern events

I was really worried at the end about getting an offer but I did

Great experience and would definitely take an offer if you can get one

Great deal and client experience

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was able to work on real deals and interact with clients

Balancing everything can be tricky

Be true to yourself. This isn't for everyone.

Advice to Management

We all need to work to make this the best place possible and Houlihan should keep that individual feel approach

Great Introduction into the Distressed World

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people and the nature of the work

It is banking, the hours are long

A great job if you're sure you want to do banking

Get Our Career Newsletter

Interview, resume and job search tips emailed directly to you.