Houlihan Lokey Internship

4.7 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 20 Intern Reviews)

The best culture on Wall Street
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working in the investment banking division I found that the hours at this firm were amazing! It is all about getting quality work done and then going home. I loved the intern events that we had. We went to rooftop bars every two weeks, played golf, went bowling as group, and had an amazing party at the group head's house.

There wasn't much not too like at Houlihan Lokey. There could be a more formal mentoring process.

Culture is the most important aspect to think about when picking a bank. If you feel that you fit well within a bank, then that is the bank that you should pick. Houlihan Lokey prides itself in having the best culture and consistently ranks at the top in Vault's rankings. Another important aspect to look at is deal flow. Being one of the top restructuring shops in the world, Houlihan Lokey works on some of the largest deals.

gaining maximum exposure to the restructuring world
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

best aspects are the people are very friendly, the MDs are very understanding of your schedule and the analysts are helping you to become better

unpredictability of what projects you are going to be staffed on and the little control of the projects you are working on and the quickly changing timeline of the projects themselves

i think coming into the summer, your interest in the actual field is really important. restructuring is specialized and if you don't have interest, you won't really understand the tasks. given that a candidate has interest in finance and restructuring, houlihan is the best place to be. Always plentiful deal flows and you will learn very specialized technical knowledge you won't get anywhere else

Advice to Management

based on our internship class, continuing to work on diversity

Sensational learning experience with really nice people
Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learned a great deal about restructuring, deal execution and people management (last was to some degree)

our school ends late so while houlihan has a training program for everyone, i wish i could have started with everyone else

houlihan runs a transparent process and they really are what they say

Advice to Management

Chicago booth can start early with everyone else even though the school says you can't

A. My internship experience was diverse from day to day which challenged me to keep learning and hustling to extract all the value I could o
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

A. The people were the best aspect of the internship. Employees, whether analysts or officers, were willing to take the time to ensure you were learning rather than just mindlessly completing tacks. The next best thing was the group of interns I worked with. They were all sincerely interested in helping the whole of us succeed.

A. The part of the internship I liked the least was I would ask for work in the morning and would never hear back, even after multiple follow-ups throughout the day. Communication was not good for key individuals.

A. When evaluating the firm, take note of the culture, individual personalities and other qualitative non-core business aspects of the firm. These are the things that will most likely drive your decision since the analysis is virtually identical across different firms.

Advice to Management

A. Compensation for hourly workers needs to include overtime pay since they are largely want to work along with the summer analysts to prove that the deserve a position. Without it, summer interns are lightly pushed out the door to observe compliance.

history - takes on investment banking and pleasantly surprised
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

definitely the people. you meet so many great and driven people. it's the type of environment you want to be in. both the interns and the full-time people

being in ny city for the first time and wanting to explore

apply to houlihan. it's not a place for everyone but if you are the right fit, it is going to be an amazing place. you should give it a look and don't be thrown off that it is not a bulge bracket. that is probably the best part about it.

structured, well-rounded experience
Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

my favorite was they really tried to let me do a little bit of everything

really liked the people

sometimes i felt like i didn't get enough feedback

Houlihan Lokey is honest about the culture. what you hear is similar to your experience

Advice to Management

wish i got paid more

Enormous amount of responsibility
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The trust that senior bankers give you off the back, an opportunity to prove yourself, opportunity to function as a real-time analyst by half way through the internship

the administrative responsibilities but that is part of every position anywhere

takes the right type of person to take the level of responsibility given and for some, it can be overwhelming

this places takes a special kind of person to be a jack-of-all trades. (modelling, technical skills that you learn in school to the more basic tasks that you have to do to keep a deal moving

Advice to Management

hours ebbs and flows like any bank and not particularly bad

comp - depends on group - restructuring on par and competitive, cf is a little lower but competitive

Amazing people and career experience
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everyone is really genuine. People feel vested and look after you

Making sure I had the right group to fit with and there was an opening but recruiting was sensational at keeping us all calm and focused

for mbas, think about what you really want

Advice to Management

Hiring more mbas where you can but not so many that you can't give offers

A good broad based experience in a short amount of time
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

the real work - the actual working on live deals

the officers are more than willing to sit down and chat and are very open

sometimes getting work that perhaps noone else wants to do

someone should consider the community feel here

Houlihan Lokey Offers Fun, Extremely Valuable Learning Opportunity Packaged Into 10 Week Program
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I work with, the work I was doing itself, and the perks Houlihan provided. When you work a lot of hours in investment banking, it really is the little things that make all the difference.

It wasn't really a huge concern for me, but if I had to pick one thing, it would be the length of the internship. Because of the nature of Houlihan's lines of work (e.g. Financial Advisory Services works on a lot of deals that happen over a short period of time; Financial Restructuring Group works on fewer deals that happen over a longer amount of time), not everyone is able to see all aspects of a deal during their summer internship.

Houlihan is the kind of firm that likes to recruit people who "take the bull by the horns" and are "out-of-the-box thinkers." Strong technical skills and a willingness to learn are important.