Intern at Evercore Advisory Summer Analyst and Summer Associate Program? Submit a Review

Could not have worked for a more respected and culture-oriented firm

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people and deal flow

Few late nights but that's the nature of the job

If you want to do investment banking, there's no better place to do it than Evercore

The best finance experience you can get as a junior in college.

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Access to senior leadership, career development, working on complex financial models, working with extremely smart superiors and peers, team building activities, having a great summer analyst class, gaining client exposure.

The hours are long

Many extremely smart and talented people, lean deal teams, strong exposure to clients, ability to learn complex financial modeling, highly selective summer applicant process (maintain high GPA, having a previous internship and strong extracurriculars helps). People here are passionate about finance.

Advice to Management

Start promoting the top analysts to associate after two years.

A challenging environment that fosters the development of financial knowledge

challenging

well compensated

access to superiors

long hours

difficult work

Given the small size of the firm, candidates who excelled also took the initiative to seek out work during the summer.

Wonderful summer

Collegiality

Unpredictable hours

Great place to work.

Best banking experience I could have asked for

- People

- Work-life balance

- Hours were bad on certain days

- Work hard and learn a lot

Top quality investment banking with great people

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great people, broad exposure to all levels of the organization, generalist program

Long hours and unpredictable schedules, but that is the norm of the industry

Evercore is a great firm with excellent, high-caliber employees. As an apprenticeship model, Evercore is the perfect place to learn and harbors a culture of asking questions

I felt as though the firm did its best to make sure that I got what I wanted out of my summer experience and treated me well.

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The largest pro for me was that I was a generalist for the summer and had the opportunity to work with many different groups. Now I have a better idea of how each group operates and can request to work with the groups that fit me best when I return. The firm also did a great job on making sure that you were busy, but not too busy and if you were beginning to feel overwhelmed it was ok to turn down additional projects. Another highlight of the summer for me were the social events, which were frequent and allowed for close interactions with Partners.

I don't have any cons about the internship. The other interns and I were continually asked if we had any feedback regarding the internship program, and what small feedback we had the firm was quick to fix/implement (this is a big bonus of working at a firm with a smaller internship class).

Overall I had a great internship experience at Evercore. Two things that I think were great about the firm were 1) the firm is continuing to grow whereas some of the larger banks are contracting and 2) the firm has a spot for every intern that it brings in so there is no competition between the interns and the stress level regarding receiving an offer is greatly reduced.

Life at the highest pitch of intensity: The Evercore Experience

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with some of the smartest people I have ever met in an extremely friendly and intense manner.

Nothing - I enjoyed every minute of my time at Evercore.

You learn more at Evercore because more is expected of you - we hire the best analyst class on Wall Street and every single of our hires loves their time here. There's a reason we have the highest retention rate among all of our peers.

An IB internship where even at the junior level, one can produce meaningful work and work frequently with senior bankers

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The firm, above all, values its culture and employees. While the nature of the job often entails long work hours, Evercore prioritizes the betterment of its junior employees at all times. Throughout the summer, there were numerous corporate events during which we had the opportunity to get to know our co-workers (MD's and all!) on a personal level. While the investment banking lifestyle is not a walk in the park, Evercore makes it more than manageable by maintaining a culture that highlights mentorship and communication.

At the beginning of the internship, we were asked what industries we would like to work in during the summer. Based on our preferences, we were staffed on various projects. While the staffer kept tabs on how many projects we were working on at any given time, it was not communicated how analytically intensive said projects were. As a result, some interns received a great deal of analytical work from the beginning of the internship, while others had to wait until the very end to receive any sort of modeling experience. While it is difficult to assure all interns receive the same amount of analytical work (by their very nature, no deal is the same), a stronger flow of communication between the deal teams and the staffer concerning what type of work each intern was doing would be beneficial in the future.

No other firm comes close to comparing to Evercore in terms of easing one into the IB lifestyle with mentorship and communication. Some individuals will know from the beginning that they prefer a bulge bracket experience, in which senior banker interaction and a lean deal team experience is non-existant. However, for those open to all types of experiences within the investment banking field, I highly recommend such candidates strongly consider Evercore as a top choice. From speaking with individuals from all other firms (Goldman, Morgan Stanley, Credit Suisse, Lazard, Moelis, and Citi), no other culture promotes a similar level of intimacy and comfortability as Evercore. Individuals from such other firms will explain that "the people" is what makes the firm unique. However, these individuals will also explain to you that during their summer experience, they rarely worked directly with a partner or MD, and had to stay at his/her desk each night until his/her analyst left. At Evercore, there is no such thing as "face time." There is no grunt work that is done just for the sake of staying busy. All work is purposeful, and even at the junior level, one is given the opportunity to sit in on meetings with partners and is encouraged to state one's own opinion. Most importantly, there is life beyond the office - once work is completed, there is no need to stay in the office until your higher-ups finish their work. While other firms explain that their respective cultures are unique, I can assure that none is quite as enjoyable and open, but also hardworking, as that at Evercore.

Advice to Management

All facets of the company I experienced over the summer were top-notch. The one suggestion I have to the firm is summer training. Our training program was all done internally, and over the years has become more and more structured. While the program is almost there, there are still a few things that need improvement. Perhaps a small pamphlet/intern manual that describes how to go about completing firm-specific actions would be beneficial.

Interaction with clients and senior bankers is the norm. Work with some of the smartest students from the best universities.

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Evercore has a strong focus on culture and hires students who work extremely hard, are as intelligent as it gets, but aren't Excel robots

I had a great time - I wish the summer were even longer!

Meet as many people as you can, and work across as many industries as possible during the summer. If you want to work with someone or in a specific space, be proactive about telling your staffer - he/she will try their best to make it happen.