Evercore Advisory Summer Analyst and Summer Associate Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #1 Best Investment Bank Internships  /  #8 Best Overall Internships

Competitive, prestigious program that is one of the best kept secrets on Wall Street. Got work on landmark transactions with industry titans
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

- Ability to work on pure advisory mandates such as M&A as opposed to other less exciting products
- Opportunity to work on the biggest transactions each year
- Working closely with some of the biggest rainmakers on Wall Street
- Ability to go to a firm which is growing at an increadible pace while the rest of the industry is declining
- If you are a top performing summer analyst, having the ability to be the sole analyst on a deal by the end of your internship
- Working with some of the smartest people under one roof
- Collegial work environment where everyone strives to help each other
- Phenomenal exit opportunities to private equity, hedge funds, business school and other roles
- One of the highest, if not the highest, compensation plans on Wall Street

- 10 weeks can be a short time to really immerse yourself in the environment, but that's the norm on Wall Street

- Read articles about each of the bulge brackets as well as top boutiques like Evercore. What you'll notice is that all the big players are losing market share, while boutiques are gaining market share; with Evercore leading the pack
- People: Make sure you get to know the people at Evercore, as it really is a collegial culture

Advice to Management

- Would be nice to do M&A and Restructuring at the same time, and stay generalist for the entire analyst stint

Incredible Internship Experience: Lot of exposure to senior management, increased responsibility, outstanding corporate culture
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working at a smaller investment bank definitely had its advantages. I was able to work on a live, multibillion dollar deal during the summer. I was given essentially given the responsibilities of a full-time analyst. I was the one working in the financial model and I was the one who created presentations that were eventually placed in front of clients. The senior personnel at Evercore were also outstanding. Everyone was very eager to provide help and guidance throughout the summer. The culture of the firm is also incredible. Evercore really prides itself on culture, and that became very evident after spending a summer there. My social life during the summer revolved around people I was working with and really added to the overall experience.

I really don't have anything negative to say about the experience. Yes, the hours were long, but that is expected when working in investment banking. However, when you are surrounded with such fantastic people, the hours become much more enjoyable.

Candidates should have an extremely sound technical background, yet also need to fit within the culture of the firm. Evercore likes to hire people who are incredibly smart, yet down to earth.

Advice to Management

After several internship experiences, Evercore was by far my favorite place to work. The compensation is above the Street and there are additional benefits of working at a smaller investment bank.

The Evercore Experience: Work Hard, Play Harder. The best summer internship ever!

Culture
Mentors
Firm-wide events

The hours can be tough at times, but that's the life of a banker

Fantastic work culture
Everyone is so willingly to teach and help
The interns are all very close with each other and with the full-time employees
There are a ton of firm-wide functions such as a softball tournament, bowling, country club event, etc. No other firm has such regular, fun, inclusive events!
You get real analyst work and real responsibilities, allowing you to learn more than you expect.

A great learning experience, both professionally and personally
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The internship was a great learning experience, while enjoying the company of extremely smart individuals working on meaningful transactions

The ability to not fully control your schedule, but thats more against investment banking, as opposed to against Evercore. My teams were very understanding of commitments I had that were reasonable.

I would very highly consider culture at a firm before you consider joining it. It is important to join a firm that has a great reputation, but definitely do not discount the quality of the people and the culture at the firm

Advice to Management

I think we need a little more structured training program, but our program has made significant progress in the past few years.

No one will ever have this much fun working 100 hours a week
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people were by far the best aspect of the internship. Evercore has a robust corporate culture that is inclusive while still elite in its single-minded focus on rigorous analysis and superb client service. In addition to its superb personalized training for investment banking summer analysts, Human Resources also made sure to throw weekly events for us, and we all had a great time playing golf, softball, or just grabbing drinks with one another. Evercore also had an endless supply of Snapple a free bagels in the morning - little things to be sure, but important ones.

Anything negative about the experience was endemic to investment banking and not idiosyncratic to Evercore. I personally didn't mind the long hours and the massive amount of research, Excel and Powerpoint that we did, but I can see how some people might. To you I would say: banking is not for you.

Evercore is the best bank on the street. Period. Over the last three years, every single analyst who has received an offer has accepted it - I don't know of any other institution, forget about even investment banks, that can boast a 100% return rate. At the end of the day, everyone can talk your ear off about how great their firm is, but this is the only statistic that matters. It's not an opinion, it's a number, and our number is perfect.

A Very Welcoming Place to Get Exposed to Investment Banking
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Evercore has a very flat organizational structure. There was a culture of mentorship where interns were encouraged to ask questions to anyone, no matter the level of seniority.

Unfortunately, investment banking is a very time-intensive job with a certain amount of unpredictability. Evercore emphasizes a healthy work-life balance, but the nature of the industry still leads to a demanding work schedule.

If you are truly interested in pursuing a career in investment banking, Evercore is the perfect place to enter the industry and grow through its excellent culture.

An internship program that treats you like a second-year analyst on Day One.
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The horizontal culture really showed me the entire deal process. The fact that I could go straight to a MD with questions without any hesitation speaks volumes about the firm's camaraderie and commitment to junior development.

Very hard to say- the internship was phenomenal in all regards.

Leverage fourth-year contacts that have interned, and most likely accepted a job offer, at the firm to understand the nuances of the firm and what differentiates the bank in a highly homogeneous investment banking industry.

Of course I enjoyed work today, I'm at Evercore
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

There are so many incredibly aspects of working at Evercore. First and foremost is the opportunity to work on great deals with LEAN deal teams. As an intern, you have an opportunity to play a significant role on your projects. On multiple deals, I was the only analyst on the team. I would work directly with my VP and associates in supporting them. I was able to participate in some tremendous deals and really feel like I added value to the client.

Furthermore, I can't say enough about how incredible the culture is at Evercore. Culture is one of those things that every bank says they have. Stock answer from anyone you talk to about culture is "Our culture is great, very fun and our structure is really flat." It's one thing to say that, but it's a completely different thing to get there and have it be even better than advertised. I was able to actually connect with the analysts, associates, and even VPs and Partners are more than just a work level. It was great to be able to talk with co workers on a personal level. I've got a couple of great representative stories that I feel really speak to the character of Evercore. First, on slow days during the summer it's an Evercore tradition to partake in some musical sporcle quizzes. While typically the quiz participants consist of interns having slow days and some analysts and a few VPs, one day a partner even stopped by where the interns sit and started answering a few questions. I was typing and all of a sudden I turned around to see this partner answering questions and I just laughed that I am able to work at such an incredible place.

The second story I think really speaks to the quality of people that Evercore hires. I had worked for a partner all summer on one deal. He is one of the best in the firm and is incredibly busy. On my last day, I went into his office to thank him for the experience and the opportunity to work for him. We ended up having a 45 minute conversation about my life and his life. I don't think you get that opportunity many other places. It was an incredible experience and certainly one I won't soon forget.

I had too much fun at work some days. But seriously, not a single thing I didn't like about it. Incredibly overall experience

I truly enjoyed going into work every day. I would say the best advice is to choose where you think you would be happiest, and where the personalities of the people who work there best fit yours. Evercore was that fit for me, and I believe that truly Evercore has the best and most caring people in the business. Upper level employees actually care about the full person and are interested in your interests and career goals.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Invaluable experience with amazing deal exposure
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great corporate culture and deal exposure with access to the top bankers on the street

Hours could get long but that's just the nature of the business

If you want to do investment banking, there is no better place to do it than Evercore

Work hard, play hard
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work environment was amazing. I legitimately looked forward to going back to work every Sunday, which I think is pretty significant in any job whose regular workweek extends past 80 hours. Senior employees were very kind and keen on on teaching and would often set aside time to walk us through models and concepts that we might not have understood otherwise. Intern class was incredible. Never met a group of kids like them before - all incredibly smart and qualified yet actually fun - felt honored to be working next to them and developed some close friendships over the summer.

There was a lot of work. And there was a lot of mundane work as well. To be expected as it's the nature of the investment banking analyst job in general (not to mention summer internships), but it's the only complaint I can say I had.

This goes only to interns evaluating investment banking roles. At this stage of your career, you should be concerned with experience and learning potential first and foremost in evaluating any potential employer - I assume this goes without saying if you are considering entering a 2-3 year stint in investment banking post-graduation. Ask around, do your research and try to find out which banks have the best deal flow and reputations. After that, it all comes down to culture. I can't speak to the cultures at other banks as I haven't worked at any, but from my understanding they can range from downright nasty to your standard overly bureaucratic and borderline stiff F500 office environment. Since I think I've made my point on culture clear in my response above and you can just check the league tables for information about deal flow, I'll go ahead and end this monologue here by saying that Evercore is one of the few banks that manage to ace all of these criteria.

Advice to Management

Haha. More comp that is less tied to the rest of the street's performance and more on our own. Please?

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)