Evercore Partners Investment Banking Summer Analyst and Associate Program Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #1 Best Banking & Finance Internships  /  #2 Best Internships for MBA Candidates  /  #5 Best Overall Internships

Date: 2013

Advising global business leaders while working with top notch talent

Office culture, emphasis on teamwork, high quality experience and industry exposure

Highly demanding industry requires long hours at work

The value proposition of an independent bank is unique to today's bulge bracket competitors.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the company's differentiating qualities in these respective dimensions.

Challenging and rewarding experience

Amount of responsibility I was able to take on; the types of deals I was working on; closed a deal over the summer; great culture; fun company wide events

The hours and working on the weekends was tough at times

Evercore is a great place to start your career as an intern / potential full-time candidate because the smaller environment aids in your ability to take on more responsibility and excel.

I... Hadddd... The Time of My Liifffeee

Interesting office, fun people to work with

Long hours characteristic of any other banking job

Learning is key, always know how your task fits into the big picture.

Evercore The Best Investment Bank

The best aspects were the ability to engage in discussion with senior bankers and hear there take on strategy and decision making.

Long hours. But, that is a factor of the job not the firm.

Perhaps work on your excel and finance skills before the summer starts.

Date: 2013

Evercore offers the best analyst experience

The best aspects of the internshp was the ability to work on awesome deals in a very tight nit group. Evercore is a very horizontally structured company so getting good senior exposure is very common.

Investment Banking is Investment Banking, you will work a lot of hours. But, Evercore is with out a doubt the best place to do IB.

Prepare to work hard. Always double check everything you submit.

Date: 2013

Great culture, interesting work, strong momentum

culture, variety of assignments, access to senior leadership

hard to meet colleagues from other teams (other than those staffed on the same assignments as you)

think about where you fit best, the momentum of the firm in the near-term, and where you will learn and grow the most; prestige is important, but a brand is only a brand

Advice to Management

more (formal) training, provide 401k matching

A Very Welcoming Place to Get Exposed to Investment Banking

Evercore has a very flat organizational structure. There was a culture of mentorship where interns were encouraged to ask questions to anyone, no matter the level of seniority.

Unfortunately, investment banking is a very time-intensive job with a certain amount of unpredictability. Evercore emphasizes a healthy work-life balance, but the nature of the industry still leads to a demanding work schedule.

If you are truly interested in pursuing a career in investment banking, Evercore is the perfect place to enter the industry and grow through its excellent culture.

Live Restructuring Quantitative Analysis and Deal Experience

Colleagues -- I was surrounded by incredibly intelligent and fun people. I also got a huge amount of hands-on experience and was able to see my work directly create value for clients and for the firm. Compensation was great as well.

The hours weren't "great" on an absolute basis, but within the industry of investment banking they're about as good as you can ask for.

The internship is incredible. It gives a great view of what you would be doing working full time for the firm. The company cares a lot about your experience, not just making you a cog in a machine, and it also provides some GREAT networking and social events throughout the summer.

Work hard, play hard

The work environment was amazing. I legitimately looked forward to going back to work every Sunday, which I think is pretty significant in any job whose regular workweek extends past 80 hours. Senior employees were very kind and keen on on teaching and would often set aside time to walk us through models and concepts that we might not have understood otherwise. Intern class was incredible. Never met a group of kids like them before - all incredibly smart and qualified yet actually fun - felt honored to be working next to them and developed some close friendships over the summer.

There was a lot of work. And there was a lot of mundane work as well. To be expected as it's the nature of the investment banking analyst job in general (not to mention summer internships), but it's the only complaint I can say I had.

This goes only to interns evaluating investment banking roles. At this stage of your career, you should be concerned with experience and learning potential first and foremost in evaluating any potential employer - I assume this goes without saying if you are considering entering a 2-3 year stint in investment banking post-graduation. Ask around, do your research and try to find out which banks have the best deal flow and reputations. After that, it all comes down to culture. I can't speak to the cultures at other banks as I haven't worked at any, but from my understanding they can range from downright nasty to your standard overly bureaucratic and borderline stiff F500 office environment. Since I think I've made my point on culture clear in my response above and you can just check the league tables for information about deal flow, I'll go ahead and end this monologue here by saying that Evercore is one of the few banks that manage to ace all of these criteria.

Advice to Management

Haha. More comp that is less tied to the rest of the street's performance and more on our own. Please?

Date: 2012

Great opportunity to work on major transactions and pitches, with a lot of meaningful contact with senior bankers

Opportunity to work on meaningful transactions and pitches, great culture and people, busy deal flow with lean deal teams

Firm is at an intermediate stage of growth where the generalist pool staffing model may no longer be ideal. Hours were very long because of heavy deal flow and lean staffing, but this definitely beats light deal flow.

Evercore is one of the best brand names among Wall Street deal professionals, and it has a lot of momentum going its way. However, I've noticed that many potential interns who aren't as familiar with Wall Street aren't aware of its reputation. Interns seeking a top ibanking position with a growing firm should give Evercore a very close look.