Evercore Advisory Summer Analyst and Summer Associate Program Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #1 Best Banking & Finance Internships  /  #2 Best Internships for MBA Candidates  /  #5 Best Overall Internships

Intern at Evercore Advisory Summer Analyst and Summer Associate Program Internship? Log in to Submit a Review

Great opportunity to work on major transactions and pitches, with a lot of meaningful contact with senior bankers
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Opportunity to work on meaningful transactions and pitches, great culture and people, busy deal flow with lean deal teams

Firm is at an intermediate stage of growth where the generalist pool staffing model may no longer be ideal. Hours were very long because of heavy deal flow and lean staffing, but this definitely beats light deal flow.

Evercore is one of the best brand names among Wall Street deal professionals, and it has a lot of momentum going its way. However, I've noticed that many potential interns who aren't as familiar with Wall Street aren't aware of its reputation. Interns seeking a top ibanking position with a growing firm should give Evercore a very close look.

An internship program designed to make you want to come back
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Incredibly intelligent peers/mentors, personal interaction with leaders in the industry, responsibility for high-profile deals, and a corporate culture that you cannot find anywhere else on Wall Street

Probably just the hours, but that comes with the territory

You will be doing the same work at all elite investment banking firms, so choose your employer based on the full experience that it will provide. Further, a firm's culture can make or break your investment banking experience. Evercore is known for having a great culture across the entire hierarchy

Work hard, play hard
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work environment was amazing. I legitimately looked forward to going back to work every Sunday, which I think is pretty significant in any job whose regular workweek extends past 80 hours. Senior employees were very kind and keen on on teaching and would often set aside time to walk us through models and concepts that we might not have understood otherwise. Intern class was incredible. Never met a group of kids like them before - all incredibly smart and qualified yet actually fun - felt honored to be working next to them and developed some close friendships over the summer.

There was a lot of work. And there was a lot of mundane work as well. To be expected as it's the nature of the investment banking analyst job in general (not to mention summer internships), but it's the only complaint I can say I had.

This goes only to interns evaluating investment banking roles. At this stage of your career, you should be concerned with experience and learning potential first and foremost in evaluating any potential employer - I assume this goes without saying if you are considering entering a 2-3 year stint in investment banking post-graduation. Ask around, do your research and try to find out which banks have the best deal flow and reputations. After that, it all comes down to culture. I can't speak to the cultures at other banks as I haven't worked at any, but from my understanding they can range from downright nasty to your standard overly bureaucratic and borderline stiff F500 office environment. Since I think I've made my point on culture clear in my response above and you can just check the league tables for information about deal flow, I'll go ahead and end this monologue here by saying that Evercore is one of the few banks that manage to ace all of these criteria.

Advice to Management

Haha. More comp that is less tied to the rest of the street's performance and more on our own. Please?

Live Restructuring Quantitative Analysis and Deal Experience
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Colleagues -- I was surrounded by incredibly intelligent and fun people. I also got a huge amount of hands-on experience and was able to see my work directly create value for clients and for the firm. Compensation was great as well.

The hours weren't "great" on an absolute basis, but within the industry of investment banking they're about as good as you can ask for.

The internship is incredible. It gives a great view of what you would be doing working full time for the firm. The company cares a lot about your experience, not just making you a cog in a machine, and it also provides some GREAT networking and social events throughout the summer.

A Very Welcoming Place to Get Exposed to Investment Banking
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Evercore has a very flat organizational structure. There was a culture of mentorship where interns were encouraged to ask questions to anyone, no matter the level of seniority.

Unfortunately, investment banking is a very time-intensive job with a certain amount of unpredictability. Evercore emphasizes a healthy work-life balance, but the nature of the industry still leads to a demanding work schedule.

If you are truly interested in pursuing a career in investment banking, Evercore is the perfect place to enter the industry and grow through its excellent culture.

Best of Both Worlds - Prestige & Culture at its Finest
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Summer analysts at Evercore are treated like full-time analysts. At the same time, no summer analyst is "thrown to the fire" - Evercore makes sure that the summers get enough training and mentoring to learn as much as possible, and to succeed. Evercore's culture is also great - there are many events throughout the summer so that summer analysts can meet Evercore professionals and get to know the firm. I walked away from my summer internship having learned a ton, and having developed real relationships with junior and senior bankers.

In my opinion, Evercore has one of the best internship programs on the Street. Any "cons" of the internship (i.e. long hours) would apply to the industry as a whole. If someone is interested in pursuing an internship in investment banking, there is no better place to do so than at Evercore!

A candidate should make sure to weigh both culture and prestige when choosing a potential internship, as well as the quality of his potential experience. Evercore has the best of both worlds - you will learn a lot, work with the best and brightest of the industry, and have a great time while doing so!

Advice to Management

The Evercore summer analyst program continues to improve each and every cycle - management and the recruiting team continue to work hard to ensure that each summer is better than the last.

Competitive, prestigious program that is one of the best kept secrets on Wall Street. Got work on landmark transactions with industry titans
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

- Ability to work on pure advisory mandates such as M&A as opposed to other less exciting products
- Opportunity to work on the biggest transactions each year
- Working closely with some of the biggest rainmakers on Wall Street
- Ability to go to a firm which is growing at an increadible pace while the rest of the industry is declining
- If you are a top performing summer analyst, having the ability to be the sole analyst on a deal by the end of your internship
- Working with some of the smartest people under one roof
- Collegial work environment where everyone strives to help each other
- Phenomenal exit opportunities to private equity, hedge funds, business school and other roles
- One of the highest, if not the highest, compensation plans on Wall Street

- 10 weeks can be a short time to really immerse yourself in the environment, but that's the norm on Wall Street

- Read articles about each of the bulge brackets as well as top boutiques like Evercore. What you'll notice is that all the big players are losing market share, while boutiques are gaining market share; with Evercore leading the pack
- People: Make sure you get to know the people at Evercore, as it really is a collegial culture

Advice to Management

- Would be nice to do M&A and Restructuring at the same time, and stay generalist for the entire analyst stint

An internship program that treats you like a second-year analyst on Day One.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The horizontal culture really showed me the entire deal process. The fact that I could go straight to a MD with questions without any hesitation speaks volumes about the firm's camaraderie and commitment to junior development.

Very hard to say- the internship was phenomenal in all regards.

Leverage fourth-year contacts that have interned, and most likely accepted a job offer, at the firm to understand the nuances of the firm and what differentiates the bank in a highly homogeneous investment banking industry.

The Evercore Experience: Work Hard, Play Harder. The best summer internship ever!

Culture
Mentors
Firm-wide events

The hours can be tough at times, but that's the life of a banker

Fantastic work culture
Everyone is so willingly to teach and help
The interns are all very close with each other and with the full-time employees
There are a ton of firm-wide functions such as a softball tournament, bowling, country club event, etc. No other firm has such regular, fun, inclusive events!
You get real analyst work and real responsibilities, allowing you to learn more than you expect.

The best firm to do the difficult job that is investment banking.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship were the quality of projects I worked on and the people I worked with. When working with senior bankers who are some of the most experienced and accomplished professionals in their field, I had the ability to meet with them regularly and learn from them. Most of my superiors were excellent teachers who were enjoyable to work with, which is not always at other firms in this industry.

The most difficult part was working long hours and managing multiple projects with hard deadlines. These drawbacks exist for anyone working in investment banking though, and relative to my peers at other firms, my hours were on average better and team members were more understanding of your need to work on multiple projects at once.

The most successful people in this industry have all had great teachers that helped them learn this business. Having an apprenticeship model as Evercore does, where you learn directly from some of the most successful bankers out there is a tremendously different experience than being another cog in the wheel that senior people don't even know. It is also a tremendous opportunity to work with these bankers on some of the largest and most prestigious M&A transactions in the world.

Advice to Management

It's hard to say what could be done better since the culture is great, training is strong, compensation is high, and there is very little employee turnover which indicates how happy people are with the firm.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)