Evercore Advisory Summer Analyst and Summer Associate Program Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #1 Best Banking & Finance Internships  /  #2 Best Internships for MBA Candidates  /  #5 Best Overall Internships

Intern at Evercore Advisory Summer Analyst and Summer Associate Program Internship? Log in to Submit a Review

Realistic view of what investment banking is really like, great opportunities to contribute to the team, great culture
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

thoughtfulness of folks running the program in making it a rewarding/interesting/challenging experience (e.g., intentionally small summer class, dedicated summer staffer, assigned senior mentors (MDs) and associate "buddy")

Unpredictability of the hours, although I think this is general to the industry, not specific to the firm

Talk to as many people in the firm as you can to understand the culture, why they chose the firm, what's keeping them there, what they like best/least, how they value people

Gem of investment banking. Great experience and excellent working culture.

Learning financial modeling

Unpredictable hours

If you're going to go into the industry, know what you're getting yourself into. Within the industry, I would highly recommend Evercore because you get a real experience as you're given serious responsibilities and will learn from the best.

Best IBD internship, hands down!
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The firm's culture, the incredibly supportive colleagues, the hands-on approach to learning, a lot of responsibility, access and frequent communication with some of the best bankers in the world, and opportunities to do a variety of exciting and interesting work

Didn't really dislike anything - it was a great summer!

An internship at Evercore is a phenomenal experience - you'd be hard-pressed to match any individual aspect of it let alone the whole experience. You get unparalleled access to the best bankers in the world, learn all the basics of being an investment banking analyst, and are given a lot of responsibility. All this with incredibly intelligent, fun people and a very welcoming, collegial work environment.

Of course I enjoyed work today, I'm at Evercore
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

There are so many incredibly aspects of working at Evercore. First and foremost is the opportunity to work on great deals with LEAN deal teams. As an intern, you have an opportunity to play a significant role on your projects. On multiple deals, I was the only analyst on the team. I would work directly with my VP and associates in supporting them. I was able to participate in some tremendous deals and really feel like I added value to the client.

Furthermore, I can't say enough about how incredible the culture is at Evercore. Culture is one of those things that every bank says they have. Stock answer from anyone you talk to about culture is "Our culture is great, very fun and our structure is really flat." It's one thing to say that, but it's a completely different thing to get there and have it be even better than advertised. I was able to actually connect with the analysts, associates, and even VPs and Partners are more than just a work level. It was great to be able to talk with co workers on a personal level. I've got a couple of great representative stories that I feel really speak to the character of Evercore. First, on slow days during the summer it's an Evercore tradition to partake in some musical sporcle quizzes. While typically the quiz participants consist of interns having slow days and some analysts and a few VPs, one day a partner even stopped by where the interns sit and started answering a few questions. I was typing and all of a sudden I turned around to see this partner answering questions and I just laughed that I am able to work at such an incredible place.

The second story I think really speaks to the quality of people that Evercore hires. I had worked for a partner all summer on one deal. He is one of the best in the firm and is incredibly busy. On my last day, I went into his office to thank him for the experience and the opportunity to work for him. We ended up having a 45 minute conversation about my life and his life. I don't think you get that opportunity many other places. It was an incredible experience and certainly one I won't soon forget.

I had too much fun at work some days. But seriously, not a single thing I didn't like about it. Incredibly overall experience

I truly enjoyed going into work every day. I would say the best advice is to choose where you think you would be happiest, and where the personalities of the people who work there best fit yours. Evercore was that fit for me, and I believe that truly Evercore has the best and most caring people in the business. Upper level employees actually care about the full person and are interested in your interests and career goals.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Work hard, play hard
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work environment was amazing. I legitimately looked forward to going back to work every Sunday, which I think is pretty significant in any job whose regular workweek extends past 80 hours. Senior employees were very kind and keen on on teaching and would often set aside time to walk us through models and concepts that we might not have understood otherwise. Intern class was incredible. Never met a group of kids like them before - all incredibly smart and qualified yet actually fun - felt honored to be working next to them and developed some close friendships over the summer.

There was a lot of work. And there was a lot of mundane work as well. To be expected as it's the nature of the investment banking analyst job in general (not to mention summer internships), but it's the only complaint I can say I had.

This goes only to interns evaluating investment banking roles. At this stage of your career, you should be concerned with experience and learning potential first and foremost in evaluating any potential employer - I assume this goes without saying if you are considering entering a 2-3 year stint in investment banking post-graduation. Ask around, do your research and try to find out which banks have the best deal flow and reputations. After that, it all comes down to culture. I can't speak to the cultures at other banks as I haven't worked at any, but from my understanding they can range from downright nasty to your standard overly bureaucratic and borderline stiff F500 office environment. Since I think I've made my point on culture clear in my response above and you can just check the league tables for information about deal flow, I'll go ahead and end this monologue here by saying that Evercore is one of the few banks that manage to ace all of these criteria.

Advice to Management

Haha. More comp that is less tied to the rest of the street's performance and more on our own. Please?

Great opportunity to work on major transactions and pitches, with a lot of meaningful contact with senior bankers
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Opportunity to work on meaningful transactions and pitches, great culture and people, busy deal flow with lean deal teams

Firm is at an intermediate stage of growth where the generalist pool staffing model may no longer be ideal. Hours were very long because of heavy deal flow and lean staffing, but this definitely beats light deal flow.

Evercore is one of the best brand names among Wall Street deal professionals, and it has a lot of momentum going its way. However, I've noticed that many potential interns who aren't as familiar with Wall Street aren't aware of its reputation. Interns seeking a top ibanking position with a growing firm should give Evercore a very close look.

Live Restructuring Quantitative Analysis and Deal Experience
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Colleagues -- I was surrounded by incredibly intelligent and fun people. I also got a huge amount of hands-on experience and was able to see my work directly create value for clients and for the firm. Compensation was great as well.

The hours weren't "great" on an absolute basis, but within the industry of investment banking they're about as good as you can ask for.

The internship is incredible. It gives a great view of what you would be doing working full time for the firm. The company cares a lot about your experience, not just making you a cog in a machine, and it also provides some GREAT networking and social events throughout the summer.

An internship program that treats you like a second-year analyst on Day One.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The horizontal culture really showed me the entire deal process. The fact that I could go straight to a MD with questions without any hesitation speaks volumes about the firm's camaraderie and commitment to junior development.

Very hard to say- the internship was phenomenal in all regards.

Leverage fourth-year contacts that have interned, and most likely accepted a job offer, at the firm to understand the nuances of the firm and what differentiates the bank in a highly homogeneous investment banking industry.

The Evercore Experience: Work Hard, Play Harder. The best summer internship ever!

Culture
Mentors
Firm-wide events

The hours can be tough at times, but that's the life of a banker

Fantastic work culture
Everyone is so willingly to teach and help
The interns are all very close with each other and with the full-time employees
There are a ton of firm-wide functions such as a softball tournament, bowling, country club event, etc. No other firm has such regular, fun, inclusive events!
You get real analyst work and real responsibilities, allowing you to learn more than you expect.

Competitive, prestigious program that is one of the best kept secrets on Wall Street. Got work on landmark transactions with industry titans
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

- Ability to work on pure advisory mandates such as M&A as opposed to other less exciting products
- Opportunity to work on the biggest transactions each year
- Working closely with some of the biggest rainmakers on Wall Street
- Ability to go to a firm which is growing at an increadible pace while the rest of the industry is declining
- If you are a top performing summer analyst, having the ability to be the sole analyst on a deal by the end of your internship
- Working with some of the smartest people under one roof
- Collegial work environment where everyone strives to help each other
- Phenomenal exit opportunities to private equity, hedge funds, business school and other roles
- One of the highest, if not the highest, compensation plans on Wall Street

- 10 weeks can be a short time to really immerse yourself in the environment, but that's the norm on Wall Street

- Read articles about each of the bulge brackets as well as top boutiques like Evercore. What you'll notice is that all the big players are losing market share, while boutiques are gaining market share; with Evercore leading the pack
- People: Make sure you get to know the people at Evercore, as it really is a collegial culture

Advice to Management

- Would be nice to do M&A and Restructuring at the same time, and stay generalist for the entire analyst stint

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)