Intern at Centerview Partners Summer Analyst -- NYC? Submit a Review

Run, don't walk, to get a summer internship at Centerview!

New York, NY | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

My deal teams that I worked with were very patient, supportive and trusting. They were willing to let me try something, fail at it without adverse consequences, and then train me on what I should have done. I learned so much, and really liked the way in which I learned it. Also, the global summer offsite was a really great way to get to know the firm and understand the outlook for the business.

There was maybe a little less emphasis on social events than at other firms (based on what I heard from friends) -- and I missed some of the events they did have because I was working. Not really a complaint -- I love that I had real work to do -- but the bankers at Centerview are fun, and who doesn't love a night out!

It's important to recognize that Centerview really does expect you to work like a full time analyst -- not that you will know as much, but they will look for energy, enthusiasm and intellectual curiosity in how you approach the job.

Advice to Management

Really nothing to add on this question -- I had a great summer!

Incredibly realistic and immersive experience

New York, NY | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Access to senior bankers, formal / informal mentorship, working with the best and brightest at all levels

Internship coordinators need to be communicate intern performance throughout

The very best place to learn as long as you have a positive attitude

Real life experience on marquis deals

people I worked with, deals I was staffed on

liked it all, even long hours are fine with the right people

be yourself because culture is king

Advice to Management

n/a

finance, work focused behavioral and case style questions

Interesting, hard work with bright, fun team

New York, NY | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I most enjoyed the generalist model, the colleagues I became friends with and the exposure to senior bankers.

I did not like the unpredictability of the hours because you never know when you'll have not a lot of work or a ton of work. This makes it hard to commit to plans in advance or have people visit you.

If you want to do investment banking, Centerview is the best possible place to go. Look at its deal flow and small number of employees - that means there is going to be really cool work for you to do. The small number of employees also means that people, senior and junior, will know you and you will be able to make a difference - not just be a number in a big bank.

Advice to Management

Training could be improved. It is all run internally which is great, but because the bankers were so busy they usually really prepared to teach us and didn't review the work we did.

They really just want to see if you're smart, have a good attitude, and aren't robotic. All the questions will be the same as other banks, but Centerview puts more emphasis on seeing if you can generally hold a conversation like a normal person and if you can solve problems. They have a brain teaser interview, which isn't so bad - just walk people through your thoughts process.

High quality work and high quality exposure to senior executives/mentorship

mentorship, exposure, clients

down time, unpredictable schedule

Incredible opportunities to take on as much work as capable of, senior people take notice and help you to grow in career

Immersed in the firm with hands-on work experience and a friendly atmosphere

New York, NY | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, the stimulating work, the autonomy, the amazing deals, the bonding bar tabs and lunches, the company offsite

The hours, occasional grunt work

They look for qualities that they think will make a good long term banker. This means it is very focused on how you can act, your ability to learn and your ability to take initative

Advice to Management

It was great!

Estimate the average spending on winter coats annually
Why banking?
What was your favorite class?
If a $100 bike appreciates 50%, how much is it worth next year?
What would you do in a zombie apocalypse?

Challenging ten weeks spent with very smart and outgoing people

New York, NY | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Firm culture, help was readily available, access to senior bankers

Long hours, as expected

Banking is definitely not for everyone, but if you decide that you want to try it, Centerview is the best place on the Street to start out. Terrific culture, large deals, and high compensation.

An outstanding summer experience in banking!

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Really being treated as a full member of the team and getting a chance to work closely with senior bankers

The skill set among Centerview analysts is very developed, and without the benefit of the full time training, it was harder to offer as much to the team (although they were aware of this, and very reasonable in what they requested.)

I couldn't think of a better way to spend a summer to see if you really will like banking (it turns out I do!) -- and I definitely can't think of a better firm to end up working for if you do!

Advice to Management

Everyone seemed very engaged and excited by the work. I do think spending additional time focusing on continuing, off the job development could be useful, although I struggle to give examples of what that could be.

Immediately included as an integral member of deal teams with meaningful responsibilities and client exposure.

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Providing both strategic and financial advisory to clients is a rewarding and fulfilling experience that enables you to develop more as a financial analyst and to be apart of meaningful day-to-day operations of the largest companies. The job requires hard work and heavy responsibility made up for by high compensation

Lean deal teams have their costs and benefits. Can mean heavy work at times

Clear choice if you're looking to learn all aspects of the business, not just to collect as many deal toys as possible without having a full understanding of the client and its needs. Centerview has worked with clients for decades without ever doing a transaction, but this builds the client relationships at deeper levels and results in Centerview being the lead advisor on all the largest transactions it is apart of.

Unrivaled Exposure to World Class Deals

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I cannot believe the incredible culture that pervades the firm. From being paired with a senior partner at the firm who will actually reach out and make a point of seeing how you are progressing, to having small group lunches with the founders and a former treasury secretary and even being given the responsibility of building out a full merger model for multi-billion dollar companies, I have been constantly amazed at the extremely high level the firm maintains in any event. This translates into a summer experience unrivaled by any my friends have had elsewhere.

Being a smaller firm with incredibly large a complex deals, Centerview really has a very lean feel to teams and workload. Though I think this is one of the main benefits of the firm and gives you exposure to upper level thinking as a summer analyst, the hours can be long and quite a bit is expected from your first day. The long hours are significantly improved because the quality of the surrounding people is top notch and whenever you are busy, the work is rewarding.

If you are willing to work hard and want to be at a firm that will let you think in new ways, I cannot encourage you enough to reach out to anyone you may know at the firm. Do anything you can to get your foot in the door because it is a small place with an incredible amount of applications, so speaking with one analyst will make all the difference.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. It works incredibly well.

Get Our Career Newsletter

Interview, resume and job search tips emailed directly to you.