Nickelodeon Animation Studio Nickternship Program Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #14 Best Overall Internships

Intern at Nickelodeon Animation Studio Nickternship Program Internship? Log in to Submit a Review

Great experience within an even greater community
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

We were able to meet with industry professionals and leaders of the studio frequently. Hands on experience on a show. Great crew members who were very accepting and welcoming of interns.

I would have preferred the internship to be paid instead of for academic credit. Otherwise nothing.

It is a small but very welcoming studio. There are opportunities to get hired after the internship but not too many so be prepared to look at other studios after the internship. There are excellent opportunities to network and become close with your intern group.

Advice to Management

Because I was only at the studio for approximately 24 hours a week I am not sure what changes can be made. Perhaps more studio wide events? As someone who was hoping to get a job as a PA after my internship I would have liked to have more positions available for interns to try for employment. Also the studio said they would send out emails notifying previous interns of job postings prior to releasing the postings to the public and I have only received one email like this in the nearly 8 months since the internship. Maybe no positions have opened in that time but I do not think so. So more attention to this would be nice.

A great opportunity to meet with people who are involved in several facets of the industry, but you must make an effort.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The ability to have meetings with the current employees.

A lot of interns/competition

Meet with as many people as you can while here.

Nickelodeon is more than a studio for kids, it is a studio for adults who know how to make work fun no matter the situation.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Classes in different aspects of production (ie: storyboarding, post-produciton, CG, writing a resume, etc)
Meetings with top executives including president, the vice presidents, and show creators
Being able to attend a recording session

The internship was amazing but I would have loved to have been paid at the same time.

Nickelodeon has an amazing corporate culture. I never realized how important that was until I worked there. The atmosphere is extremely creative and always fun. The people that work there don't only become your colleagues, they become your friends. If I were offered a position in a strict and depressing environment now, I would turn it down because corporate culture really effects how you thrive at a company.

Advice to Management

I think compensation for interns would definitely help. I was very impressed with the promotion polices and hours of the company. Diversity was never an issue, creativity comes from every where. The great thing about the internship program is that the company trains you to become a full-time employee. All that you do in the internship is to prepare you for the possibility of an actual position at the studio.

My Nickternship: A Great Experience with Even Better People
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Nickelodeon Animation Studio is the greatest environment I could have hoped for. Everyone there is so passionate about what they do and so happy to be coming in to work every day, and that culture helped set the tone for my internship experience. I was treated like an equal, not as an inferior, and given a high degree of responsibility and independence. I felt free to ask questions and make connections around the studio. I always had a smile on my face.

I guess the only thing that could have improved my experience was if it was paid - or if somehow summer could be longer.

Be honest in your application - let Nick know right off the bat how excited you are about the opportunity! Don't be afraid to follow up or to demonstrate your interest as much as possible. And if you don't make it in your first time, don't be shy about re-applying.

Re-experiencing Childhood
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Interacting with the other interns
Being able to interview employees of all ranks
The activities that the internship program entailed
Being able to participate in other Viacom interns events

I wish that I could have been exposed to more duties and work in my department but couldn't due to confidentiality reasons. It would be nice to attend actual pitch meetings with the professional.
Also I was commuting almost 2 hours with traffic and so attending all the events was a bit difficult and also couldn't bond as soon as others because I wasn't living with most of the interns

Make sure to be open to all doors that could be an opportunity.
Get ahead by scheduling interviews with as many people as possible and getting involved with the company network

It was an invaluable experience in networking and learning about the animation industry.

Networking opportunities
Hands-on work
Weekly workshops/classes
Outside events
Individual meetings
Company events
Friendly company culture
Weekly screenings

I would have liked a little more interaction outside of my department.

The program offers even more than you think. Getting practical experience in you position is only half of what the internship is all about. The networking opportunities and the classes the program offers really make it unique.

A fantastic opportunity to learn from professionals in a hands on environment.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Ability to contribute to network shaping projects, a chance to meet and learn from skilled professionals, fun events and a welcoming cooperate culture

lack of compensation

The more put into the internship, the more you get out of it. Try to open your schedule in order to concentrate on nickelodeon and maximize the tremendous networking and work experience opportunity. Summer and right after graduation are the best times to intern.

Advice to Management

only being paid could make this internship better.

great networking opportunities and perks in exchange for minimal grunt work
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

willingness of employees of all departments to meet with interns, lots of fun studio events, Nickelodeon's intern-specific classes

The production I was assigned to had very little work for their interns to do on a daily basis. It wasn't unusual for me to have a maximum of 2 hours of actual work per day.

The culture creates a super cool place to work and you'll be surrounded by amazing artists, however it can be difficult to get hired on as an artist because they want most people to start working in production first, which can be draining.

Advice to Management

There could be more quality control across productions. Some interns assigned to productions had lots of work and lots of opportunities to attend meetings, some (like my production) had very little work for interns and sometimes wouldn't say a word to us during an entire 8 hour day.

Nickelodeon Animation Studio's Internship Program is one of the best internships availible in the field.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture at Nickelodeon Animation Studios is one of the best I've ever seen in a place of employment.

I wish there was more one on one time alloted with artists, but I understand that this is hard because everyone is working.

It's really one of the best places one could work at.

Advice to Management

As much as I loved this internship it really put me back financially, it wouldn't be that hard to offer minimum wage would it?

An amazing opportunity to gain professional experience and network.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The ability to set up meetings with anyone in the studio, including VP's and Executive Producers. The open, friendly, and collaborative culture of the studio. The opportunity for full time positions. Classes that expose you to the many departments that make up the studio and contribute to the overall animation process, from being to end.

The intership is unpaid.

It's essential to have an interest in animation and a working knowledge of content that the studio produces. Also, an attitude that reflects that of the studio; collaborative and open.