Nickelodeon Animation Studio Nickternship Program

4.6 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 88 Intern Reviews)

BEST. INTERNSHIP. EVER.
Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Definitely the people. Everyone at the studio is so friendly. The environment here is such an amazing one. Everyone is willing to help everyone, whether its the VP of Animation to an Intern. It's so easy to ask for help and learn here.

There wasn't much I didn't like about the internship. The only thing was that my department is very small (3 people).

My advice would just be to meet everyone you can. Everyone here is so friendly and willing to help. It's a great way to network!

Internship experience offers valuable professional experience, dedicated mentors, and great learning opportunities.
Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Access to informational meetings, mentorship within my department, professional development

Professional opportunities were not well facilitated by internship coordinators

Be mindful of making the most of your time during your internship. Maintain your role within your own department, and heed the advice of former interns and your supervisor - they will guide you well

Working on "Dora the Explorer" provided a crash course in the animation process.
Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The courses that Nickelodeon offered throughout the course of the semester were easily the greatest part of the internship. Additionally, my supervisors were great - very understanding with all the questions I had and seemed genuinely interested in my thoughts and opinions.

Some days were slower than others, and on those days sometimes I felt as if I wasn't needed.

Go in with an open mind and set up as many meetings with other productions and departments as possible. Don't me nervous about it, because I was, and I regret not taking more meetings and informational sit downs when I had the chance.

Awesome internship is awesome.
Santa Monica, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

All the things i've learned and the connections i've made.

That I can't work all the time.

They people here have always been friendly and helpful. From the most important people to the people lower on the chain of command. If you have a dream the people at Nickelodeon will do their best to try and help you accomplish it!

Advice to Management

The only problem i've had is that I can't work as many hours as I want as it's not in my productions budget.

Nickelodeon may not illustrate a full-time experience, but it's not an opportunity to miss
Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture and access to brilliant show runners, artists, managers, geniuses, hard workers, and the overall the kindest most helpful people anyone could encounter

It was a bit competitive amongst the interns. There wasn't much micromanaging over us, but there was a significant transition period for those in charge that led to that. Some interns snatched opportunities and didn't care to share it, and though it may be a dog eat dog world it made the kind/generous teamwork-like culture of Nickelodeon start to fade.

Enjoy everything the program has to offer, I had to commute and was attending numerous classes and I regret each class and opportunity I missed. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity and it is worth every second. You can gather information from almost anyone you desire and be sure to create friendships that will last because everyone at Nickelodeon is worth knowing

Advice to Management

I never experienced any issues or potential problems that would lead me to ask for them to change anything in this category

Priceless and unforgettable, this internship was a dream come true.
Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning about the industry and making contacts and friends by being inside of a studio in production was the best.

I did not like that it ended.

Be outgoing and friendly, Nickelodeon has a family-like atmosphere where people help people. Do not go in thinking what can I get for myself, rather think what can I contribute to the company. You will be repaid in experiences without even knowing it.

Advice to Management

Be more understanding of interns wanting to branch out and take on leadership.

Nickelodeon is more than a studio for kids, it is a studio for adults who know how to make work fun no matter the situation.
Los Angeles, CA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Classes in different aspects of production (ie: storyboarding, post-produciton, CG, writing a resume, etc)
Meetings with top executives including president, the vice presidents, and show creators
Being able to attend a recording session

The internship was amazing but I would have loved to have been paid at the same time.

Nickelodeon has an amazing corporate culture. I never realized how important that was until I worked there. The atmosphere is extremely creative and always fun. The people that work there don't only become your colleagues, they become your friends. If I were offered a position in a strict and depressing environment now, I would turn it down because corporate culture really effects how you thrive at a company.

Advice to Management

I think compensation for interns would definitely help. I was very impressed with the promotion polices and hours of the company. Diversity was never an issue, creativity comes from every where. The great thing about the internship program is that the company trains you to become a full-time employee. All that you do in the internship is to prepare you for the possibility of an actual position at the studio.

A great opportunity to meet with people who are involved in several facets of the industry, but you must make an effort.
Los Angeles, CA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The ability to have meetings with the current employees.

A lot of interns/competition

Meet with as many people as you can while here.

Great experience within an even greater community
Other (US) | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

We were able to meet with industry professionals and leaders of the studio frequently. Hands on experience on a show. Great crew members who were very accepting and welcoming of interns.

I would have preferred the internship to be paid instead of for academic credit. Otherwise nothing.

It is a small but very welcoming studio. There are opportunities to get hired after the internship but not too many so be prepared to look at other studios after the internship. There are excellent opportunities to network and become close with your intern group.

Advice to Management

Because I was only at the studio for approximately 24 hours a week I am not sure what changes can be made. Perhaps more studio wide events? As someone who was hoping to get a job as a PA after my internship I would have liked to have more positions available for interns to try for employment. Also the studio said they would send out emails notifying previous interns of job postings prior to releasing the postings to the public and I have only received one email like this in the nearly 8 months since the internship. Maybe no positions have opened in that time but I do not think so. So more attention to this would be nice.

great networking opportunities and perks in exchange for minimal grunt work
Los Angeles, CA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

willingness of employees of all departments to meet with interns, lots of fun studio events, Nickelodeon's intern-specific classes

The production I was assigned to had very little work for their interns to do on a daily basis. It wasn't unusual for me to have a maximum of 2 hours of actual work per day.

The culture creates a super cool place to work and you'll be surrounded by amazing artists, however it can be difficult to get hired on as an artist because they want most people to start working in production first, which can be draining.

Advice to Management

There could be more quality control across productions. Some interns assigned to productions had lots of work and lots of opportunities to attend meetings, some (like my production) had very little work for interns and sometimes wouldn't say a word to us during an entire 8 hour day.