Intern at Nickelodeon Animation Studio Nickternship Program? Submit a Review

Alot of busy work, but warm and friendly people all around you.

Los Angeles, CA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The networking opportunities. Everyone was excited to meet us, the interns, and they were so easy to talk to, and arrange meetings with. Some even offered without me having to ask.

Some repetive work, of course. I sealed envelopes for all the rejection letters for the program that semester, and it took several shifts. Alot of work like that. But it's expected as an intern.

They like warm, extroverted people! Please don't be shy when interning here. Say hi to everyone.

Advice to Management

Employee retention. Shows end and it's hard to be placed onto another. And company transparency. Sometimes we don't find out about big decisions being made in the company until it's on the internet.

Hypotheticals: What was a stressful situation at a past job, and how did you handle it?

Personality: How would a friend describe you, in three words.

And usually a silly one, that still gives them insight: If you were a cereal, what would you be?

The internship that exposes you to the best people, greatest artists, and most experience in the industry

Los Angeles, CA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best part of the internship was being able to reach out to any artist or employee in the studio that inspired me and I wanted to know more about. Most people have an open door policy, which I haven't found in other offices, that made for a personable atmosphere.

I had a really little work load and was usually working on projects that were more arts and crafts related. I enjoyed some of the production related work that I did a lot but remember wishing that I was being challenged a bit more.

Nickelodeon is an amazing place to work because it gives you an incredible work life balance, introduces you to some of the most talented and friendly people in the industry, and provides opportunities for career advancement.

Nickelodeon: A Summer of Fun, Friends, and Finding Yourself

Los Angeles, CA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture at Nickelodeon is truly unique in the sense that the employees all value mentorship and strive to distill their knowledge onto the interns. Everyone is exceptionally kind, and willing to talk to you no matter how busy they are because they legitimately care about you. You just have to put in the effort to make the meeting happen.

Nickelodeon truly cares about their internship program, and it shows in the way it's run. I can only speak for the summer program, but without fail, there's always an event each week. Whether it be a lunch with artists, or a talk with show creators, or classes with some of the most amazingly talented people, you stand to learn from their experiences.

I didn't like that:
1. They don't provide housing (but if you were given the chance to intern, wouldn't you take it and find someway to make it happen?).
2. I couldn't work more hours (I was scheduled for 24 hours a week, and wanted to work more--but that's based more on a departmental need, I believe).

If you really want to intern here, write a quality cover letter (because they really do read it), and be different. Don't be afraid to show who you are. Nickelodeon receives hundreds of applications from all across the nation, so do something out of the box, and make it easy on HR by making your application extremely simple and readable (no crazy fonts, excessively long paragraphs, etc.).

Why Nickelodeon?

Awesome, fun, and valuable exposure to the animation industry

Los Angeles, CA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship were the relationships you were encouraged to build with everyone at the studio. Not only did I get to bond with my crew, but I also was able to set up informational meetings with other employees around the studio. This helped me expand my professional network before I even started working full time.

There's not much that I personally liked the least, but I know some interns have had trouble keeping their schedules busy on the day-to-day. Sometimes there isn't enough work to pass to the intern, so it seems like they aren't able to take full advantage of their time at Nick. However, I did not experience this myself, so I didn't mind the work level at all.

Assert yourself, but don't be too overeager! It's great to put yourself out there but there's definitely a boundary to avoid crossing. What worked best for me (and has worked for many other interns) is being outgoing and forward about your career goals, but don't overtly expect people to devote all their time to mentoring you.

Advice to Management

Pay production people more!

"Tell me about yourself"
"What made you want to work at Nickelodeon?"
"Do you have previous experience working with a team?"
"What were your other internships like? What did you learn from them?"

Hopping and Hoping

Beverly Hills, CA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The freedom to hop to new shows and become familiar with different crews.

It was rare to see more than 3 females in a writing room of 16 men. This really didn't have anything to do with my "internship" coordinators or anything related to my program, this is just a reality that I faced daily. It's disheartening to see a lack of presence/representation.

Be ready to network with as many people as you possibly can. It's drilled into your mind that "who you know matters" -- because it honestly does. Working smart is the key, though hard work (in general) is always noticed; be the kind of person that YOU would want to work with. Working in television is about having a strong ensemble & a reliable team.

Unbelievable opportunities for good-natured, hardworking young people at Nick Studios.

Los Angeles, CA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

At Nickelodeon, it feels like the entire studio is structured around creating an incredible experience for the interns. I personally got the opportunity to meet and learn from dozens of Nick employees spanning multiple fields about their job at Nick, career paths, and personal lives. Even the top executives in the studio made a point and seemed genuinely excited to meet with interns. The program itself included 20+ classes, lunches, game nights, and practice art tests, all orchestrated by people who genuinely care about giving the interns the best experience possible while at Nickelodeon. In my department, I was given work that was fun, creative, challenging, and felt genuinely valuable to my team. Overall, I met tons of incredibly talented and kind people, learned a lot, and did work that was fun and fulfilling.

The only real complaint I could make is that there simply were not enough hours in the day to take advantage of all of the incredible "extra-curricular" activities, (art tests, game nights, informational interviews, etc.).

Be prepared to work hard, be friendly and professional. And don't be intimidated by the very corporate sounding word, "networking". At least in my experience, networking at Nickelodeon simply felt like meeting cool people and making new friends. And if that still sounds intimidating, I'd advise you to step outside your comfort zone and challenge yourself. It is worth it.

An incredible chance to learn close-up about the industry of animation in a company that truly values its interns.

Los Angeles, CA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everyone from the President of Production to the PAs wanted to talk to and help the interns, allowing for both great networking and technical artistic learning opportunities.

There were a lot of outside-work optional activities and benefits, and I would have liked to know how all-inclusive the internship was from the beginning instead of finding out after I had made other summer commitments as well.

Nickelodeon has an incredibly open and friendly work environment, with some of the happiest and most cheerful employees I've ever had the pleasure of working alongside.

Advice to Management

A little more forewarning to the interns at the start of the internship about how time-consuming it will be and how many opportunities they will have would have better allowed me to allot the appropriate amount of time for it.

Why do you want to work at Nickelodeon? Why are you interested in Production? What do you see yourself as contributing to Nickelodeon?

Nickternship Program is a great place to learn, and a great step into the industry!

Los Angeles, CA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

What makes the Nickternship great was how the entire program was dedicated on learning anything about the studio, the animation industry, and the profession of being an artist. The program coordinators did everything they could to help mentor us, even though they have such busy schedules. This really shows how much the studio really appreciates their interns. In addition to this, everyone in the studio was open to talk to any intern willing to talk to them, and this just makes the studio so open and relaxing.

My one gripe about the internship was that there weren't enough classes available for my batch of interns, especially hearing about different classes from previous interns.

Nickternship is an amazing opportunity if you're into learning anything you can about the animation industry, or if you're unsure on what to pursue within the industry, this is also a great place to figure out what you want to do.

"How did you hear about the internship program?"

Nickelodeon Animation is great!!!!!!

Office culture, program leaders

too short!

great for creative people/artists

Incredibly eyeopening, educational and fun.

Los Angeles, CA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting, learning, and collaborating with industry professionals.

Not enough hours offered!

Be the BEST version of yourself and spotlight your strengths. Be open to learning and just be a human being.

Advice to Management

I understand LA's wage is a bit lower than say, San Francisco, but a higher wage would be nice. Especially since Nick is a HUGE company, I'm sure the CEO can spare a dollar or two in raising wage.

"What are you interested in and why?"
"Can you tell us a little about yourself?" (This is important as they're asking what you want to do with your life without talking about your tragic past, but I guess it's okay to bring those up too, comedically.