Intern at Nickelodeon NICKternship Program? Submit a Review

One of the Best Experiences of My Life

Los Angeles, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

being in the studio. Working with the artists and production staff. all of the intern opportunities, ie classes and meetings. The environment is very friendly. Everyone cares about the interns.

It wasn't a full time internship. i wanted to be there more.

Be prepared to meet some amazing people.

The NICKternship: Having the Slime of my Life

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

-Everyone is so kind and willing to have informationals with you, because most of them were once in our shoes as NICKterns
-The lunch informationals are AMAZING. We got to have lunch with so many amazing people, such as executives and show creators, and I was always pleasantly surprised to find out how kind and humble they all are.
-The bonding activities for the NICKterns, such as Game Night! It really gave us the opportunity to get to know each other.
-Just the culture and environment of Nickelodeon in general!

Nothing! I had an amazing experience here!

-BE KIND! Kindness goes such a long way, and you'll actually stick our more (in a negative way) if you're not a nice person
-Be proactive! If you've completed all of the tasks you were given, ask around to see if anyone needs help!
-Ask questions & be curious. Asking a lot of questions really shows that you are interested and you want to learn more about the subject.

-Tell me about yourself.
-What would you say is your greatest strength?
-What would you say is your greatest weakness?
-What is your career goal?
-Do you have any questions for me?

Nurturing Mentoring Environment In A Professional Studio

Los Angeles, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Hands on experience in respective departments, intern lunches with industry professionals, open studio policy to speak with anybody, welcoming work culture backed by longstanding animation history

Work cap on particular tasks

The current climate of the animation industry

What Nickelodeon character do you identify with?

Very informative, educational and satisfying

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to see the internal work aspects of an animation studio

Not being social enough or not being able to use opportunities to fullest due to lack of time

Get to know your work staff well, you being is more than enough so don't ask beyond reason, know all of the departments, learn all that you can and enjoy yourself at your job.

Advice to Management

In terms of training, start with the basics, but gradually raise the responsibilities once you trust the interns enough.

Are you willing to learn everything about the field?

Are you willing to cooperate with others?

Are you willing to do what is asked of you questions for clarification you need help?

Prepare to Learn!

Classes, community, facility, events

It's very intense

Be open to learning about everything, even if it's not things you were initially interested in

Advice to Management

N/A

Animation Major Scores Opportunity Of A Lifetime With Nickelodeon

Los Angeles, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, the experience and the opportunity.

Low level tasks.

Talk to and get to know as many people as you can.

These 3 months have taught me so much more than all my years of schooling

Los Angeles, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects were being able to talk with all these artists and people involved in the shows, and getting feedback from them on my work and giving me ideas on how to improve and what work to do to refine my skills.

What I like least is that it's too short

Don't overstep your bounds too much. Be eager, but don't try to jump into something you're not part of.

Nickelodeon Internship, where you can make your own assignments and experience

Los Angeles, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of this internship are as follows. First is that the entirety of the full time staff is fully willing to talk and meet with you. Even higher ups such as show creators, producers, and even the vice president of the company. Second, is that the department I worked with allowed me to essentially create my own projects to work on. In the begginning I got assignments like any other internship but with time they trusted me enough to make my own project which was very successful and thrived in the studio. This really let me show my employers what I was capable of and how good I was in my field.

The only downside of this internship is that for a computer science major like myself every single class, interview, and meeting set up by the administration in charge of all the company's interns was of no help or interest to my field. Except for one meeting about the development of VR and emerging technology all of them were of little to no use to me as a computer science major wanting to pursue a field in software design/programming.As such I had to seek out on my own time meetings with employees who would be able to help me learn about the field I was interested in.

My advice to potential interns is to not just sit at your desk 9-5 every day. Try to set up meetings with employees who are in a field you are interested and network with the company. If the meetings officially set up by the administration are of no help ro interest to you it is your responsibility to make your own meetings that do. The more people who get to know you the higher chance that they could hire you.In addition do not be afraid to voice your opinion and ideas. You will never know it could end up in a great new creation that will show the company what you are made of.

Advice to Management

In terms of advice to my supervisor and department they did an excellent job and were always very supportive and checkde up on me often. They made sure that the assignments I was working on were always something I was interested in doing. They even encouraged me to go to other departments I was interested in and learn from them if its something that interested me. It feels like everything they did was right.

In terms of the management of all of the interns I really wish they had more meetings and interviews with people in technology/computer science fields. 95% of the interns were art majors so it is understandable that the majority of meetings are catered towards them. However, when out of the more than 50 meetings scheduled for interns by management only one of them centers on something for the field not only that I am interested in but the field which I am currently interning and working in then something is wrong. I would strongly suggest that management look into having more meetings for the field of programming/technology/IT or remove this internship position entirely as it really did feel like all the things I learned from this internship were a result of me taking my own initiative to find those who had the knowledge I was interested in in the company. Some official meetings would have been nice.

What is your process when you are given a problem to solve using software?
What projects have you worked on in the past?
What programming languages do you know?
Why are you interested in working here?

Be a Nicktern if you want to have a fun, memorable, and most of all, educational experience in a professional setting.

Los Angeles, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to learn from actual industry professionals.

When I was an intern two years ago, there weren't many classes provided for my internship batch, compared to other batches. The Nicktern program definitely listened and has improved this significantly.

For anyone wanting to apply to this internship, PLEASE learn how to be professional. Nickelodeon is a pretty chill studio, but it is still very much a professional studio.

Even After Learning How the Sausage is Made, Intern Continues to be Star Struck

Los Angeles, CA | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect of the internship was being surrounded by talent and learning by proxy.

The only con about the internship was often I had minimal to no work, but that just gave me more time to meet industry professionals.

Put yourself out there: meet with everyone you can, and don't be afraid of putting yourself out there by showing your artwork-their feed back is invaluable!

Advice to Management

I would like to see Nickelodeon with a more clear sense of who they are as a network. A company mantra may make them more confident in picking up more shows, or be more clear about what kind of shows they want to produce here and therefore create more jobs.

What would you bring to the table for Nickelodeon?