Nickelodeon Animation Studio Nickternship Program

COME AS INTERNS, LEAVE AS PROFESSIONALS
Santa Monica, CA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

-Environment, friendly, warm, welcoming.
-Free Breakfast every morning.
-Ping-pong breaks
-Meeting with executives and being given great pointers and tips
-Classes offered every week
-Networking events

Only that it didn't pay, and it only offered academic credit. But the opportunities they offered, and the classes and free breakfast every morning made up for it.

Nickelodeon is a very professional, yet laid back environment, where they allow artists to be creative, working in a creative environment.

Everyone here has a smile on and is always willing to help you out with anything. You're only here for a short time as an intern, use it to your advantage. Constantly meet with people, everyone has an open door policy where you can walk in whenever and talk and be given great career advice.

A very motivating and inspiring experience.
Los Angeles, CA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The most positive aspect of the internship was being able to connect and meet with employees of all different backgrounds and get feedback and advice from them. Everyone was there to help you succeed and help seek out your potential in your career.

A con to the internship is that it is unpaid. However, majority of internships are unpaid so it was taken into consideration when applying for the internship. A plus side of it being unpaid allows you to show your dedication to work hard and learn, which is why I'm sure there is such a high hiring rate of former interns.

The best advice I could give to potential interns is to have a positive attitude. Say yes to opportunities and don't hesitate. Always be considerate and be sure to write thank you notes after interviews and meeting with people! It goes a long way. Be the kind of person you would want to work with.

Advice to Management

Stay awesome. I had an incredibly healthy experience during my internship and it was because of the people. They wanted you to learn and they wanted you to have a great experience. Very positive work environment.

Amazing and educational opportunity
Los Angeles, CA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The opportunity to speak with and learn from all of the accomplished artists, designers, and producers working in the company

N/A it was better than I could ever have hoped for

Make the most of your experience- you get out what you put into this program, and if you make the effort there is no way you will be disappointed

Advice to Management

It would be great if there was a room/board stipend of some sort for people who are coming from out of town

Nickelodeon Animation Studio Internship was inspirational, motivating, and life-changing.
Other (US) | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Company Culture, Employee/Intern Events, Hands-on assignments, classes, and meetings with artists/employees.

The thing I liked least about the Nickelodeon Animation Studio internship is that it had an end date.

The company culture is very positive. Everyone at the studio seems very happy and welcoming. There is very good morale in the studio, and the company makes a point to appreciate both their employees and their interns.

Amazing experience with and amazing studio!
Los Angeles, CA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I got to network with, the mentors that took time out of their schedules to help me and talk to me, an opportunity to see the makings of an animated show first hand.

They had to restrict the amount of time you can work in the week. Would have liked to worked there more often

Keep an open mind and be able to work collaboratively.

Advice to Management

I think they are doing an amazing job

The most fun, welcoming, encouraging, eye opening, and information packed internship I could've ever asked for.
Los Angeles, CA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, the culture, the creative atmosphere, the willingness of everyone to share their knowledge/experience, the classes, the intern events.

There is honestly nothing negative I can say about my experience as a Nicktern. I interned over the summer semester, and was astounded with all of the events and classes that were planned for us to experience in just three months.

Meet with as many people as humanly possible. Everyone is very willing to share experience and advice with interns - it's a huge part of the culture at Nick. Speaking with industry professionals one on one, which is an incredibly rare opportunity in itself, is very important to discovering what you want to pursue and where to pursue it. Aside from that, coming into work everyday validates, in itself, why people love to be here.

Advice to Management

Not one complaint.

The BEST internship for creative-minded and focused students looking for experience in the entertainment industry
Other (US) | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

- Networking potential is amazing. I got to have informative meetings with employees in all of the departments such as Vice Presidents of Production, Senior Vice President of Development, and executives in current series. I also was encouraged to meet with other employees such as artists, production assistants, line producers and casting directors.

- The intern activities were a lot of fun and a great way to get to know my fellow Nickterns. We had an intern game night where we played team bonding games all night at the Nickelodeon Animation Studio. Our internship supervisor set up an intern meeting with the then President of Nickelodeon Animation, Brown Johnson, where we got to eat breakfast with her and ask her questions. We also had an intern meeting/lunch with Butch Hartman, the creator of successful Nickelodeon shows like Danny Phantom, The Fairy Oddparents and TUFF Puppy. The interns got to attend Nickelodeon events like their annual summer party at the courtyard of the studio as well as the art gallery that takes place the first Friday of every month. The interns got to take a storyboard class taught by one of the directors for Spongebob Squarepants. It was a month long class where we got to pitch our idea for the ending of an episode and then draw it out and present it to the intern group.

- The culture at Nickelodeon Animation Studio is very welcoming to interns. Everyone I met was so nice to me and they encouraged you to ask them questions. Interns are a part of the Nickelodeon family.

- Since Nickelodeon is part of the Viacom family, we got to attend a seminar on copyright protection given by the COO of Paramount Pictures and also a Viacom intern party on the Paramount lot. Nickelodeon interns can also watch films every Friday on the Paramount lot at one of their theaters.

- Nothing, it was all awesome.

- Almost half of Nickelodeon's employees at the animation studio are former interns. Nickelodeon is known for hiring former interns.

- Employees at Nickelodeon are more than willing to give you advice and they all have diverse backgrounds

- Nickelodeon provides you with hands-on training that can be utilized at other studios/networks

Best Internship Ever.
Los Angeles, CA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

This internship was an absolutely incredible experience. I went in knowing very little about the industry and what I wanted to do with my life. I came out with a career path and the contacts and advice needed to continue pursuing opportunities in the field. I don't believe there is any other internship out there that could have done the same for me. I'm really greatful for the experience of this internship. ( My favorite part ofthe internship was sitting in on a recording session! Thats where I discovered I want to be a Casting Director one day! :) )

I wish that the opportunity to do consecutive internships or multiple internships was still avaialble. Once I discovered what I want to do it would have been awesome to have had the opportunity to intern within that department.

Honestly, I learned more in the five months with Nickelodeon then I did in a majority of my college classes. The hands on and real life experiences from the internship made it a priceless opporunity. I do not believe I would be where I am today if not for this internship. I was dreading an internship my senior year and now I reccomend them to people because I give all the credit to Nickelodeon for helping me figure out what I want to do. Seriously best internship ever.

Fantastic Internship Opportunity Leads to Great New Connections and Educational Goals
Los Angeles, CA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I loved being able to network with (and get advice and feedback from) the artists who created my favorite shows as a kid. I've always admired their work, and to hear their stories and get their ideas about my own stuff was amazing! I also loved how we weren't treated as interns, we were treated like we were full-time employees

It wasn't paid, so having to take a class for credit at my school cut into the amount of time I could spend doing work at the studio.

Make sure to be thorough with your resume and cover letter, and also see if you can meet anyone who has gone through the program or works there. They can give you advice on it.

Advice to Management

Please reply to emails faster. Not getting a response for a long time (or at all) creates confusion, and it's counter to what we've learned about professionalism.

This internship was one of the most amazing experiences I've had, where I learned so much and made amazing friends and connections.
Los Angeles, CA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship are the connections, opportunities, friendships, amazing employees, working with artists, taking intern classes, and having meetings with various Nickelodeon employees. It was a friendly environment and a great place to work, learn, and grow. I always felt at home.

Needing school credit in order to attain the internship.

If you are interested in cartoons or working in animation, this is a perfect internship. The company allows you to embrace your silliness, individuality, and passion. The internship allows you to grow as an artist and to make valuable connections. It is a fantastic place to work.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if this was a paid internship and/or we did not need to pay for school credit in order to do the internship.