Nickelodeon Animation Studio Nickternship Program

Working on "Dora the Explorer" provided a crash course in the animation process.
Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The courses that Nickelodeon offered throughout the course of the semester were easily the greatest part of the internship. Additionally, my supervisors were great - very understanding with all the questions I had and seemed genuinely interested in my thoughts and opinions.

Some days were slower than others, and on those days sometimes I felt as if I wasn't needed.

Go in with an open mind and set up as many meetings with other productions and departments as possible. Don't me nervous about it, because I was, and I regret not taking more meetings and informational sit downs when I had the chance.

Interning at Nick Animation was the chance to work and become friends with the people who inspired me to pursue TV, A dream come true
Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

They encourage interns to meet with people throughout the entire company, something other companies would 'not have time for'. People love meeting the interns, and making them feel like they are really apart of a team.

It was unpaid, but they recently decided to start paying their interns. But honestly, when you get to see people like Butch Hartman and Daran Norris everyday, the last thing you think about is getting paid to be there.

My best advice would be to make sure that you are a good fit for the company. Its not enough to just be a 'people person' you have to truly love what you do and have a passion for making television children will love. Whenever someone was having a stressful day they would turn to me and say 'we're making cartoons'.

Advice to Management

I honestly have no critiques for the management at Nickelodeon, they were nothing but great to me and my fellow interns. They offered classes and so much of their time to us.

BEST. INTERNSHIP. EVER.
Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Definitely the people. Everyone at the studio is so friendly. The environment here is such an amazing one. Everyone is willing to help everyone, whether its the VP of Animation to an Intern. It's so easy to ask for help and learn here.

There wasn't much I didn't like about the internship. The only thing was that my department is very small (3 people).

My advice would just be to meet everyone you can. Everyone here is so friendly and willing to help. It's a great way to network!

Internship experience offers valuable professional experience, dedicated mentors, and great learning opportunities.
Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Access to informational meetings, mentorship within my department, professional development

Professional opportunities were not well facilitated by internship coordinators

Be mindful of making the most of your time during your internship. Maintain your role within your own department, and heed the advice of former interns and your supervisor - they will guide you well

Awesome internship is awesome.
Santa Monica, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

All the things i've learned and the connections i've made.

That I can't work all the time.

They people here have always been friendly and helpful. From the most important people to the people lower on the chain of command. If you have a dream the people at Nickelodeon will do their best to try and help you accomplish it!

Advice to Management

The only problem i've had is that I can't work as many hours as I want as it's not in my productions budget.

Nickelodeon may not illustrate a full-time experience, but it's not an opportunity to miss
Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture and access to brilliant show runners, artists, managers, geniuses, hard workers, and the overall the kindest most helpful people anyone could encounter

It was a bit competitive amongst the interns. There wasn't much micromanaging over us, but there was a significant transition period for those in charge that led to that. Some interns snatched opportunities and didn't care to share it, and though it may be a dog eat dog world it made the kind/generous teamwork-like culture of Nickelodeon start to fade.

Enjoy everything the program has to offer, I had to commute and was attending numerous classes and I regret each class and opportunity I missed. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity and it is worth every second. You can gather information from almost anyone you desire and be sure to create friendships that will last because everyone at Nickelodeon is worth knowing

Advice to Management

I never experienced any issues or potential problems that would lead me to ask for them to change anything in this category

Priceless and unforgettable, this internship was a dream come true.
Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning about the industry and making contacts and friends by being inside of a studio in production was the best.

I did not like that it ended.

Be outgoing and friendly, Nickelodeon has a family-like atmosphere where people help people. Do not go in thinking what can I get for myself, rather think what can I contribute to the company. You will be repaid in experiences without even knowing it.

Advice to Management

Be more understanding of interns wanting to branch out and take on leadership.

Great people, great opportunity, and an overall great experience.

The people.

The management

If you want to be hired, you unfortunately do need to suck up. Be professional, smile to everyone, and take every opportunity. It really was a great experience, with the nicest people. But if you want to turn it into a full-time job, make sure as many people know your face and name, and that HR notices you.

Advice to Management

Actually getting paid would have been great. I was doing the work of a PA, but was not compensated like one. Also, I was told that any job opening would be announced to interns collectively, but that was a lie. They pick out those they like, and keep the others in the shadows.

Unfulfilling and disappointing
Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to occasionally work with the storyboards for upcoming episodes.

There was almost nothing for me to do and people treated me like I was a burden to them when I would come around and ask if they needed help with anything. It made me feel so unwelcome that I limited myself to only going around once a day and since even then they had nothing for me to do I just sat at my desk after restocking the kitchen each morning (which only took 20 minutes at the most).

Do not apply unless you have already graduated or will be graduating the semester you're interning because they will not hire you once you have left the studio and new interns have arrived. Getting any response from HR will impossible as they will treat you like they've never heard of you.

Advice to Management

Stop telling interns to only give positive reviews to this survey. We are told to "not do the survey and email HR instead if you are unhappy with your experience." What desperate college student attempting to secure a job in their dream industry is going to contact HR and say they've had a miserable time? None because then you're never getting hired. So you just keep your head down and lie about how great the experience was.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Gather round everyone for the most amazing experience of your lives.
Los Angeles, CA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people

The length of the internship.

Talk to everyone and remember their names. Go out of your way as much as possible.

Advice to Management

If you see someone who is an intern then ask them what their name is because they are most likely not thinking anything other than how to stay out of your way.