Moss Adams LLP Summer Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #23 Best Overall Internships

Date: 2013

Great experience with great people. It helped understand what public accounting is.

We were welcomed like full-time staff, and not like interns just passing.

It was too short.

If it is hte right firm size for you, it is a great place to work. Recommanded!!

Date: 2013

The most information I've learned in the shortest period of time

the people, the opportunities, the continual learning, the networking, the pay, the communication, the interaction between different staff levels

the confusion about which hours should be charged, the lack of work in the beginning, the length (would have preferred 10+ weeks over 8)

Moss Adams is very accomodating to your office preference and personal schedule. Forum W allows you to have an alternative work schedule for when you are planning to start a family or have other obligations. It creates a work/life balance that is essential for any career. Some of the partners even shared with us their daily stress relievers such as working out, hiking, and listening to music. The firm allows YOU to decide when you think a promotion is in store and you are essentially competing againt yourself, rather than your fellow employees for a position.

Advice to Management

I feel that the training in Anaheim could have been more useful- I would have preferred to spend more time on the tax returns and programs rather than the outside activities. I understand that it is important to network, but I feel that the training aspect of it was lacking a bit.

Date: 2013

A great learning experience in a fun and enjoyable environment

Great culture, realy work experience.

Did not get to see an audit from beginning to end.

Moss Adams is a great place to work. It is a very inviting culture. There are also amazing professionals here who do great work.

Great Learning Experience about World of Accounting World and Moss Adams

The networking opportunities, the ability to learn about the world of accounting

There isn't anything that I really didn't like

Work really hard in recruiting to find a firm that fits you because getting an internship is the best way to learn about a firm.

Date: 2013

From Disneyland to Portland, A Portland intern has an amazing experience while learning a lot about Moss Adams and accounting

The best of aspect of the internship was working in conference rooms and the amount of tax work I received.

The inability to go out on a regular audit.

Make sure to evaulate the working enivorment of the company and that you see yourself fitting in it.

Public Accounting Assumes Your Intelligent and Throws You In the Deep End

actually working on returns and reviews/audits. the interns weren't given lesser tasks, we were treated as if we were first year staff.

towards the end, some of the work load slowed down.

get to know the staff and stay in contact

Date: 2013

My Moss Adams internship was a great way to discover what public accounting is in practice and see if I would enjoy it as a career.

The best aspect was working on actual audits at client locations. It provided the most hands on experience and activities while providing opportunities to ask experienced managers and staff questions.

The thing I liked least about the internship was the lack of work available from day to day. I enjoyed the work when there was work to do, but I often am left for hours without any projects to work on. Even after asking managers and staff for work, there often is nothing for me to do. This was frustrating because I want to learn but feel like my learning is stunted by lack of available work.

Moss Adams is great. The training experience for interns was a blast and provided access to so many people around the firm. If public accounting is your calling, Moss Adams is an excellent choice. They truly do provide big firm resources with mid-market specialization. Work-life balance is stressed at Moss Adams, and it is easy to see that everyone buys into that ideal.

Advice to Management

I think initial training for working with the firm computer system would be very helpful. Someone should sit down and walk through how to perform the tasks that will be required for the job. Also, for interns/new hires I think work should be set aside for the first few weeks so they constantly have something to work on to learn the system. Having to ask for work every day and rarely getting a response is very frustrating when trying to gain an understanding of what the job entails.

Date: 2013

Moss Adams: Experience and Learn about Public Accounting within an Amazing Working Enviroment

Networking with staff, team building with interns, being able to travel for audits, being able to work on taxes, helping me to decided which way to go (tax or audit).

In the audit roation, there were times with nothing to do and little work. I know it is hard to send us out on audits if they are full but it took away from the full experience.

Be friendly with the recruiters and show that you can blend in with the company culture. This is the key to be happy with any company you work for so make sure that you like the people in the company you are working for.

It Gets Better

The people: I worked with many different types of people, some of whom I got to know fairly well, and felt an immense amount of training and support from. These are the types of people I want to build my career around. There were some who really took time out of their work day to teach me and show me how things should be done. People who understand the importance of and value in training those below them are people I can respect and want to work for.

The people: Ironically, the best part of my internship was also the worst. Unfortunately, I had an experience with a person that I struggled working with. This person was extremely critical to the point of near harasment, refused to give me work because I "couldn't learn it," and even made comments and assumptions about my religious beliefs that I found offensive. When I would come home at night, my wife noticed how depressed I was, and while this experience only lasted a week, it was likely the catalyst that caused us to change our minds about my pursuit of a career in public accounting.

Overall, my impression of Moss Adams is very positive. To a candidate considering a career in public accounting, there may be no better firm in respect to variability of work (exposure to lots of different industries and clients), ability to build your own career (advancement within the organization), and work-life balance. Moss Adams definitely expects much from its employees, but at the same time respects each individuals other life commitments. This is vital to the type of career I imagine most people are pursuing.

Advice to Management

My advice relates specifically to interns or new hires: I really like the idea of a "career coach" and have had a positive experience with mine. I know it may be difficult, but the real struggle for a interns and new hires is in their first few engagements. Therefore, if possible the first senior and engagement should be hand selected for that intern or new hire. It will set up the entire experience for their career. If the senior is not very sociable, too busy, or pushing to make their utilization rate what was budgeted, I can guarantee the intern or new hire will have a less than positive experience. Putting them on a client with a big budget, with a senior who is not swamped (and perhaps a staff who isn't either), and at a client where the intern or new hire can really get into the work papers by him/herself will make the most positive impression, build confidence, and be the first solid building block to starting his/her career.

Date: 2013

Intro to Audit/Tax while developing meaningful relationships

The people (full time employees) really seem to care about our experience as interns. They have all been open to questions and also patient with the interns when we have questions/learning something new.

There is nothing that comes to mind.

Ask as many questions as you can, learn as much as you can. And just try to meet people and build relationships.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)