Moss Adams Summer Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #23 Best Overall Internships

Steep Learning Curve
Portland, OR | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting MA employees, getting to do hands on work.

No audit work.

You will be busy. Depending on the time of the year, there will be more tax versus audit and vice versa.

Intro to Audit/Tax while developing meaningful relationships
Portland, OR | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people (full time employees) really seem to care about our experience as interns. They have all been open to questions and also patient with the interns when we have questions/learning something new.

There is nothing that comes to mind.

Ask as many questions as you can, learn as much as you can. And just try to meet people and build relationships.

It Gets Better
San Francisco, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people: I worked with many different types of people, some of whom I got to know fairly well, and felt an immense amount of training and support from. These are the types of people I want to build my career around. There were some who really took time out of their work day to teach me and show me how things should be done. People who understand the importance of and value in training those below them are people I can respect and want to work for.

The people: Ironically, the best part of my internship was also the worst. Unfortunately, I had an experience with a person that I struggled working with. This person was extremely critical to the point of near harasment, refused to give me work because I "couldn't learn it," and even made comments and assumptions about my religious beliefs that I found offensive. When I would come home at night, my wife noticed how depressed I was, and while this experience only lasted a week, it was likely the catalyst that caused us to change our minds about my pursuit of a career in public accounting.

Overall, my impression of Moss Adams is very positive. To a candidate considering a career in public accounting, there may be no better firm in respect to variability of work (exposure to lots of different industries and clients), ability to build your own career (advancement within the organization), and work-life balance. Moss Adams definitely expects much from its employees, but at the same time respects each individuals other life commitments. This is vital to the type of career I imagine most people are pursuing.

Advice to Management

My advice relates specifically to interns or new hires: I really like the idea of a "career coach" and have had a positive experience with mine. I know it may be difficult, but the real struggle for a interns and new hires is in their first few engagements. Therefore, if possible the first senior and engagement should be hand selected for that intern or new hire. It will set up the entire experience for their career. If the senior is not very sociable, too busy, or pushing to make their utilization rate what was budgeted, I can guarantee the intern or new hire will have a less than positive experience. Putting them on a client with a big budget, with a senior who is not swamped (and perhaps a staff who isn't either), and at a client where the intern or new hire can really get into the work papers by him/herself will make the most positive impression, build confidence, and be the first solid building block to starting his/her career.

Internship to Full-Time
Portland, OR | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to experience both an audit and tax rotation.

On the weeks that I wasn't on an audit there was very little to do in the office.

Make your intern decision on the office environment.

Advice to Management

Organize lunches with the interns and the partners so that the interns can hear their stories.

Summer of Tax and Audit
Portland, OR | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to do both tax and audit.

Sometimes there wasn't any work

The people are really great, the environment is great, but the compensation is average

Advice to Management

I like it the way it is

Informative
Phoenix, AZ | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Hands on experience and working with the MA professionals

Training was interesting, but did not help with the technical aspects of the job. It would have been nice to only have been training for several days instead of a whole week.

Get to know your co-workers, the people are the best part of the company and don't be afraid to ask questions

Advice to Management

There were glitches with the interview process - I was told I would be contacted for a second interview but never was. Three days before I was told the Phx office interviews were I had to contact the HR person to find out if I would be getting another interview. After exchanging emails I was finally able to set up an interview date, but was not informed of the interview time until three hours before my interview. Overall, it was unorganized and frustrating. Once I finally made it to the interview it was very professional and organized, but the recruiting process left much to be desired. Once starting, my end date was entered wrong and I my compensation was put in lower than the rate on my offer letter. Other than those glitches, everything has been wonderful.

Moss Adams: Work Hard, Play Hard, and Learn Hard
Anaheim, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

*gaining hands-on experience by working on engagements

*being treated like a full-time associate with the appropriate level of responsibility

*working with talented and friendly associates

*low workload during the summer

*DO try and make yourself known around the office and let others know when you are low on work

*expect to feel overhwlemed at first, but guidance and repeated application make for amazing learning opportunities

*have a positive attitude, no matter how boring or tedious the work may appear to be

The best possible way I could have spent my summer.
Los Angeles, CA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people at the firm made it very enjoyable. I was able to ask questions openly and be myself around all of the other staff, seniors, managers, and even partners. Everyone was really easy to get along with.

On one occasion I was given a particularly tedious task which is never fun but that's the nature of the job.

Moss Adams is an amazing firm and they go out of their way to be as accommodating as possible.

The best way to spend a summer!
Portland, OR | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I loved the social interactions I had with the other interns as well as staff members

I was most disappointed when it ended.

Don't focus on what an internship has to offer in the moment. Really think about what opportunities it offers for a full time position.

Advice to Management

Compensation is at a fair rate but could be a bit higher

An Amazing Experience
San Diego, CA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

-Getting to work closely with partners.
-Being exposed to several different clients.
-All of the employees were always willing to help or to explain something.

-Not always having work to do.

-Don't be afraid to ask questions when you don't understand something.
-Don't be afraid to walk around and ask people if they have any work for you to do.

Advice to Management

-It would be helpful to have "sample" audits for interns to practice with when they don't have any other work to do.