Moss Adams LLP Summer Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #23 Best Overall Internships

Date: 2013

The most information I've learned in the shortest period of time

the people, the opportunities, the continual learning, the networking, the pay, the communication, the interaction between different staff levels

the confusion about which hours should be charged, the lack of work in the beginning, the length (would have preferred 10+ weeks over 8)

Moss Adams is very accomodating to your office preference and personal schedule. Forum W allows you to have an alternative work schedule for when you are planning to start a family or have other obligations. It creates a work/life balance that is essential for any career. Some of the partners even shared with us their daily stress relievers such as working out, hiking, and listening to music. The firm allows YOU to decide when you think a promotion is in store and you are essentially competing againt yourself, rather than your fellow employees for a position.

Advice to Management

I feel that the training in Anaheim could have been more useful- I would have preferred to spend more time on the tax returns and programs rather than the outside activities. I understand that it is important to network, but I feel that the training aspect of it was lacking a bit.

Date: 2013

Enjoy a summer in beautiful downtown Portland working alongside smart, motivated individuals who want to help you learn and be successful.

The learning curve was immense, the location is perfect, the people are helpful and fun to work with, and the office is beautiful.

It was very tax heavy, which was fine, but I really wish there had been more audit work to do.

This is a growth firm that prides itself on a set of values they believe maximizes the firm's potential at promoting it's professionals and serving it's clients. I've found that this is something I cannot get from a big four firm, a small firm, or any other that I had interest in during recruitment. I was impressed that Moss Adams recruits students based on the firm's values, rather than just showing off with nice dinners and fancy offices.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have had some more in office support during the service projects because I appreciated being able to engage with staff on more than just work related things and the service projects are a huge opportunity to do that. Also, I really want to do audit and six weeks into doing work I have done almost nothing audit related.

Outstanding Internship with Promising Future Career

The people were so great to work with. All of the staff were always willing to teach me new skills or answer questions. They made me feel like I was a valuable part of the team and worth their investment of time

Uncertainty of whether I would get a job at the end or not, and uncertainty about what I was supposed to be doing all the time.

Give it a chance. I was a little nervous coming in because I didn't know anyone but I went in with an open mind and it totally worked out.

Advice to Management

Make it more clear about what interns are supposed to be working on if no specific projects are assigned.

Moss Adams: Best Career Decision Ever

The buddy/mentor system was incredibly helpful. I had never done much of the work required of me and people were so willing to help it made me far less stressed out than I would have been had they not been there to ask questions of.

Not every intern was exposed equally to the audit and tax side of the internship.

The culture of Moss Adams is great, and the work that is done is something you can become passionate about. The fact that Moss Adams is growing an there is so much more room for growth makes it an exciting accounting firm to be apart of.

Advice to Management

I think what is in place now is great. Making sure people are aware of the options that Moss has to offer, we provide a whole experince not just audit and tax work.

Date: 2013

Great experience with great people. It helped understand what public accounting is.

We were welcomed like full-time staff, and not like interns just passing.

It was too short.

If it is hte right firm size for you, it is a great place to work. Recommanded!!

Date: 2013

Learning what auditing really is

the best parts were getting to know the people at moss adams and figuring out what auditing is.

I was not a huge fan of the intern project.

Make the most of every day and week. The internship flys by and there is only so much time to meet people.

Advice to Management

The only thing that would have been nice is to be out at the client more, but i understand it is hard in summer.

Internship to Full-Time

Getting to experience both an audit and tax rotation.

On the weeks that I wasn't on an audit there was very little to do in the office.

Make your intern decision on the office environment.

Advice to Management

Organize lunches with the interns and the partners so that the interns can hear their stories.

Date: 2013

Real life audit work done by an intern

I actually got to do real work and see what the firm is really like. Nothing was kept hidden.

The training was great, but it was hard to keep up with it at first. Luckily, everybody at Moss Adams was very helpful and I was able to pick things up quickly.

Moss is a growing firm in LA and has the the competitive feel of the Big Four, but the culture and community feel of a smaller firm.

Steep Learning Curve

Meeting MA employees, getting to do hands on work.

No audit work.

You will be busy. Depending on the time of the year, there will be more tax versus audit and vice versa.

Hands-On Experience

Gaining experience at client sites, Being included as a member of the office (office parties, level of responsibility, etc)

The length. I feel that the internship would be better designed if it ran the length of the summer.

Don't be afraid to make mistakes and ask questions. Both are expected.

Advice to Management

It would have been helpful if a more structured system had been set-up for being assigned work. On the audit floor it was not unusual for most employees to be at client sites, leaving the interns with very little to do. We had lots of work when we were in the field but often very little when we were in the office. It might have been possible to fill this time with projects or training activities.