Intern at Elliott Davis Decosimo ENVISION Summer Internship Experience? Submit a Review

Great experience, great people, great company!

NC | February 2016 | CURRENT INTERN

I completed a winter internship which gave me the opportunity to get a lot of client-based work and truly get a feel for what working full-time for Elliott Davis Decosimo would be like. Everyone I worked with was supportive, humorous, and helpful. They were incredible about working with me and giving me some of the flexibility that I needed.

For a winter internship, I was expecting 0 downtime however, I did experience a chunk of time in which I found myself without client-based work. In hindsight, it gave me the chance to research more about the company, grad school, etc. Also, keep in mind you typically are not allowed to work overtime... I thought I might be able to rack up the hours during busy season. However, this gives you the chance to have long weekends occasionally.

Comments

Interning/working for a regional accounting firm vs. a "Big 4" has many perks - you are truly valued as an individual, you get to see and complete a variety of client-based work on multiple levels, and you really get to know a huge portion of employees that work for the company. EDD has been wonderful to me and I could not have imagined a better internship experience!

The Best (Work)place on Earth

Greenville, NC | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The variety in the work projects; the patience and compassion expressed by the people for whom I completed projects; the positive work environment; the after-hours community activities

Miscommunications/ gaps in software knowledge

Public accounting is basically the same wherever you go, so pay attention to the people and the culture within the firm(s) where you may intern. The people are what make/break a workplace environment.

Advice to Management

Software training for interns--sometimes I felt like I asked way too many questions, and it would be nice if there was some type of tax software "how-to" manual for beginners to avoid this.

What three words would you use to describe yourself? Explain how/why each one describes you.

Elliott Davis Decosimo is an exceptional accounting firm with a great culture and great employee.

Charlotte, NC | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I enjoyed the employees working at Elliott Davis Decosimo the best. They were all great people and made me feel a part of the team.

I liked everything about the internship.

I would highly recommend Elliott Davis Decosimo. The culture in the firm as well as the growth of the firm are appealing aspects.

Advice to Management

More diversity

What are you plans when you graduate college? Do you plan to get your CPA?

Great Company, Great People

Columbia, SC | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with, and the work environment

The amount of downtime that we have as interns.

It was a great experience with an excellent company.

AWESOME

Augusta, GA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting able to learn all areas of accounting and having unlimited opportunities available to me.

Nothing it was perfect!

Know that Elliott Davis Decosimo is a fantastic place to pursue your career dreams and goals.

Exciting Internship Available! Opportunity to Apply Knowledge Through Daily Client Work, Visits to Clients, and Job-Specific Training!

Other (US) | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was able to participate and actually use a big majority of my accounting knowledge to different types of Federal, State, Local, and International taxation (with respective forms and filings). I worked on (from beginning to end) 1040s, 1120s, 1065s, PT100s, FBARs, tax research (into FATCA and Vehicle Expense Deductions), as well as working with R&D tax credits and a large Real Estate project. I also had a huge amount of technical training with my managers as I worked on different forms, as well as almost daily manager lunches with different levels of management from the firm, discussing everything from work to personal life and the balance therein. I also received a lot of soft training with managers, such as how to connect and communicate with clients (through a few different tax-specific client visits).

I think the only con of the internship was that it wasn't longer. We worked for a total of 8 weeks, but I would have loved 12 weeks, or the entire summer.

I think one of the best things to keep in mind is that no one expects you to know everything about the field in which you're interning. Just go into the internship with an open mind, and a willingness to learn, especially at Elliott Davis Decosimo. They will take you, train you, and help push you past your expectations to help you exceed your goals of personal and career growth. Also, be willing to admit soon when you are lost and need help - you will save a lot of time, and it will help you perform better on projects (especially if you can get two or three done with a few questions in the time it might take to do one with no help at all).

Advice to Management

I honestly think that Elliott Davis Decosimo does a great job of this already. I believe the compensation to be incredibly competitive, the hours are great (they are willing to work with you on scheduling and illnesses, etc.); employee retention is incredibly high, and a number of outside CPAs have switched over to the EDD team, and contribute now to the high retention rate.

If I recall correctly, they asked a few different scenario based questions (how did I respond to a situation where there was no clear leader?), as well as questions concerning EDD and why I was interested in pursuing an internship with them.

A fun and enjoyable learning experience in a very inviting work culture

Charleston, SC | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

How friendly and helpful all of the employees and recruiters were.

There wasn't anything that I didn't like about the internship.

I would be personable and friendly to everyone because what makes Elliott Davis Decosimo so unique is how friendly their work culture is.

Advice to Management

I don't think there is anything that can be improved.

Why do you want to pursue accounting, rather than another field?
Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Much more than only a tax internship

Greenville, NC | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I got to learn about Elliott Davis Decosimo's community involvement as well as the Young Professional groups while working alongside fulltime staff.

Nothing. I really enjoyed the variety and the balance between work and professional development.

Elliott Davis Decosimo works very hard to provide a lot of great opportunities for their interns, make sure that you take advantage of them. From facilitating one-on-one manager lunches for the interns more than once a week to the variety of work that you're exposed to, take advantage of all of the opportunities that this internship provides.

Advice to Management

Nothing! I really enjoyed the time that I spent there.

What extracurriculars were you involved with in college?

I great experience to learn and grow

Richmond, VA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being treated not as an intern but an employee. Being given responsibilities to do real work and to learn. Not being afraid to ask questions or for help. Getting a better understanding of how to handle the work environment.

Not having enough work to do because its during the summer time

I dont have any prevalent information to share

A Rewarding Path into the Accounting Field wit Elliott Davis Decosimo

Charleston, SC | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Vertical communication within the firm made you a contributing member of the team. Also the structure in which they teach you functions and then allow you to prove on your own that you are picking up new skills everyday.

I do not have any cons to lst regarding my internship experience.

I would suggest that you evaluate the opportunities that will be given to you as an inter and that you feel that you are a good fit within the culture of the firm.