Intern at Elliott Davis Decosimo ENVISION Summer Internship Experience? Submit a Review

Depth insight into the accounting profession.

Charlotte, NC | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Plenty of work for interns and great involvement in the entire company and colleagues of all work levels.

Could have added another couple of weeks to the internship. As soon as one was feeling confident in a task it seemed like the internship was over.

Dive right into the work. Asking questions is perfectly acceptable and will definitely help in the long run.

Learning Different Aspects of an Audit and Why It's Important

Charlotte, NC | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The staff was extremely helpful and nice when helping us catch on. The work/life balance seemed to be exactly what the firm preached. Everyone at the firm generally got along and seemed to enjoy their job.

Often times I found myself with down time and had asked for work, but not much was available.

Future interns need to make sure they reach out for work opportunities or do employees above them to soak up as much knowledge as possible.

GREAT EXPERIENCE, BETTER PEOPLE

Greenville, SC | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

I would say the people! EDD really wanted to get to know their interns. They wanted to know if they could help us in anyway and as an intern it meant a lot. It showed that Elliott Davis really wanted to invest their time and energy in their interns because they know they are the future of the firm.

I can't pick out one thing I did not like!

I would just that candidate to just talk to as many people as you can in the office. They all have so much to offer and will take the time out of their day just to meet you. Pick their brain on some things you are interested in and keep the relationship but saying hey each day.

Advice to Management

I mean $18 was great as a junior intern, but I wouldn't mind getting 21 like the senior interns did. We did the same work so it didn't really make sense as to why I was paid less other than the fact I was a year younger

They asked where I wanted to be and why. Other than that it was just me talking about my self. We just carried a great conversation to the point where it didn't feel like it was an interview.

Great culture. EDD really cares for their employees. Real work experience. Wonderful internship.

Columbia, SC | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real work experience. EDD has a great group of people that make working there fun. They want you to enjoy the internship experience while also teaching you a great deal about the public accounting industry. I had an amazing time during the whole process from early recruiting through the conclusion of the internship. They offer countless opportunities for exposure to clients as well as managers and shareholders of EDD. I liked having access to higher ups at the firm that I could feel comfortable reaching out to or just to talk with in general.

There was only one thing that may have been on the lacking side that is an industry wide issue however. In the summers, due to the nature of public accounting, there may not be the most amount of work to be done. With that being said, there was never a "claw my eyes out I'm so bored" moment by any means. EDD did a great job of balancing work with other career development and community service activities that I believe enhanced the entire internship.

Be prepared to ask questions and make mistakes. It is bound to happen, but it's okay. The full time staff know it will happen and just want you to learn from it. They are very helpful and understanding about it all. They recognize that this is a learning process and want to encourage you to ask questions as well as on the side, getting to know the full time employees you may work with in the future.

The best experience in public accounting

People
Effort

Not much work

Be yourself and know how to work hard but also know get to know your people in the office.

Advice to Management

I do not think training videos are the most effective method of teaching.

You're going to love it, accounting is fun with this company!

Raleigh, NC | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, everyone was more than happy to help at every step of the internship with all sorts of tasks.

Being to work by 8 am in Raleigh could have been the death of me. Traffic is terrible, maybe flexibility in times would help.

Be ready to love the people even when work isn't your favorite place to go on a great summer day.

Advice to Management

Hours, here again. The traffic lends itself to be frustrating and then it should be more flexible as long as the hour requirement is met.

One of Nation's Top Internship Programs Lives Up to Expectations

Charleston, SC | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The office was very well organized and ready to handle us interns. We had a variety of projects to work on and were very rarely waiting to be given assignments. I got lots of experience doing things I felt were important to the firm. The office was extremely friendly and I felt right at home.

Honestly, I had a great experience here and I can't think of much that I didn't like about the internship. We had volunteering projects that I thought could have gone smoother in terms of organization but that's about it.

Go in expecting to work and give it your best shot and you will be rewarded. Ask questions and rely on others with more experience than you to help you.

Advice to Management

Training was more than a little boring. I think a set of official videos instead of recorded presentations might work better.

I don't recall specific questions, but some were along the lines of "Do you have any leadership experience?" and "What has been one of the biggest challenges you have overcome?"

Busy Season Made Bearable with the Best People

Charleston, SC | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects were the close relationships I was able to build. I could walk around the office and talk to everyone. Also, giving me work to do was a priority that was almost always fulfilled.

The clients are not the most glamorous, and the training is not as good as those firms with much more resources.

The firm has a great reputation in the city. As a small regional firm, their clients are obviously smaller meaning you will work on many instead of just one or two. EDD has many nonprofits on their roster, something you are less likely to see at a national firm.

Advice to Management

Renovate the office. Encourage more staff bonding to foster relationships outside of work. Improve training to cover technical accounting and auditing topics that are often forgotten when focused on field work.

Great experience, great people, great company!

NC | February 2016 | CURRENT INTERN

I completed a winter internship which gave me the opportunity to get a lot of client-based work and truly get a feel for what working full-time for Elliott Davis Decosimo would be like. Everyone I worked with was supportive, humorous, and helpful. They were incredible about working with me and giving me some of the flexibility that I needed.

For a winter internship, I was expecting 0 downtime however, I did experience a chunk of time in which I found myself without client-based work. In hindsight, it gave me the chance to research more about the company, grad school, etc. Also, keep in mind you typically are not allowed to work overtime... I thought I might be able to rack up the hours during busy season. However, this gives you the chance to have long weekends occasionally.

Comments

Interning/working for a regional accounting firm vs. a "Big 4" has many perks - you are truly valued as an individual, you get to see and complete a variety of client-based work on multiple levels, and you really get to know a huge portion of employees that work for the company. EDD has been wonderful to me and I could not have imagined a better internship experience!

The Best (Work)place on Earth

Greenville, NC | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The variety in the work projects; the patience and compassion expressed by the people for whom I completed projects; the positive work environment; the after-hours community activities

Miscommunications/ gaps in software knowledge

Public accounting is basically the same wherever you go, so pay attention to the people and the culture within the firm(s) where you may intern. The people are what make/break a workplace environment.

Advice to Management

Software training for interns--sometimes I felt like I asked way too many questions, and it would be nice if there was some type of tax software "how-to" manual for beginners to avoid this.

What three words would you use to describe yourself? Explain how/why each one describes you.