Intern at Elliott Davis Decosimo ENVISION Summer Internship Experience? Submit a Review

Rewarding, unbeatable, amazing

Raleigh, NC | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, the work

I would like more feedback on my work

Don't be afraid to ask questions and network with as many people in the firm as possible. You may be an intern, but people value your presence and they want to get to know you both professionally and personally.

Advice to Management

The training videos could be more relevant to the day to day work rather than the broad scope they are at.

What are you looking for in a firm, what draws you to our firm, what are your best qualities, what do you like to do outside of work

See why Elliott Davis is the best firm to help you meet your personal and career goals while being introduced to the accounting profession.

Columbia, SC | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects included the opportunity to do real, valuable work while also getting exposed to EDD's unique culture and focus on work-life balance. There was a huge emphasis on community impact and client service, even within our relatively low-level work as interns. There were also weekly opportunities to go to lunch with firm managers and senior managers to discuss our thoughts on the internship, and to provide ideas on how the internship could be improved.

The only opportunity for improvement in the internship that I saw was that occasionally there is too much downtime during the week. Most of this is due to the fact that the summer is a slower time for audit interns; The tax interns seemed to stay busy constantly. This is more of an industry issue than an internship program issue.

Come into the firm with an open mind, and constantly evaluate whether you can see yourself working for the firm in the future. Communicate your personal goals to those you are working with constantly, as there is a lot of helpful advice to go around. Communicating your expectations and plan for the future early on will allow EDD time to work with you and provide you with an offer that you find exciting and in-line with your career plan.

Advice to Management

Some advice might be to offer more opportunities within the year for employees to be promoted, instead of just having annual reviews. Additionally, while the "perks" at Elliott Davis seem to far exceed those of their competitors, the pay seems to be a little bit below average, at least according to salary surveys. However, if you add the value of the perks to the salary, it may balance out quite competitively.

What attracted you to Elliott Davis?
What interests you about Public Accounting?
Where do you see yourself if 3-5 years?

An organization that values work life balance

Greenville, SC | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Various staff members would take the interns out to lunch every day and try to get to know us. We also had flexibility with what we could work on. If we wanted to work with a specific group or on a specific project, we were free to do so.

Because of the flexibility in the work that we could pursue, some interns got to do a little bit of everything while others had some tasks that they were not able to work on.

This is a great internship if you are willing to make the most of it and stay involved.

Do you generally prefer to get involved with extra-curricular activities or just focus on the work that is required of you?

Inviting culture makes work an enjoyable place to be

Columbia, SC | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Firm culture, helpful attitudes of those in charge, rewarding work.

I wish I had been busier. I love learning, and I was hungry for more. Also- the "training" could have been more hands-on and helpful to what we would be routinely doing.

Make sure you go around and ask for work. When you're busy, it's great!

Advice to Management

The intern training could be more helpful. I also wish there had been more work and less "play" things to do. I enjoyed the fun stuff, don't get me wrong. However, I would have loved to see more audit work.

Best Accounting Internship out there

Columbia, SC | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, pay, different events, full-time opportunity, balance of work/fun

Sometimes not enough work in the office.

Not wanting to work at a big 4 firm? Want to live in the southeast area of the U.S.? EDD is the best accounting firm for you!

Advice to Management

Better training, lack of diversity in the office.

Name an instance where you had to step up and be leader. Interview was not bad at all. Was more of just getting to know each other and having a normal conversation.

Greatest Internship

Greenville, SC | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

the relationships formed better co-interns and full-time EDD staff; they gave us real work to do

not applicable

While the Big 4 might be enticing, regional firms offer the same benefits in a smaller pool. I think it's easier to stand out and really contribute to the team in a smaller firm.

"Elliot Davis Decosimo Intern Learns Valuable Business Acumen while Building Strong Relationships and Having Fun!"

Chattanooga, TN | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best part about this internship was that we really got to learn about the firm. It wasn't busy season so there wasn't always tons of work during the week. But, there were so many opportunities to network with shareholders and managers, as well as other interns from other offices. I know I will have to time to learn the nitty gritty software things later, the soft-skill practice is what many of us need right now. Also, they knew we were still in college or coming out of so they made the summer fun with a trip to Greenville, SC and a beach trip at the end of the internship. Also, the Service Project was a major highlight. It showed how much the firm cared about the community and it was fun for us as well.

As I previously mentioned, there wasn't always a ton of work to do since it wasn't busy season. At times I was looking for work from other managers. BUT, everyone, even if they didn't have work, was pushing me to someone they thought would.

If you were looking to work at Elliot Davis Decosimo I would want you to know that they are very adaptive and looking to grow, but looking to grow smart. They don't want to just hire anyone or merge with any firm, they always make sure their values aline first. Also, maybe its just that southern hospitality, but everyone is so kind and easy to get along with, and its easy to meet new people with all the firm activities. All in all, its a mid sized firm with the resources of a large firm while still feeling like its own community.

Advice to Management

As I was just an intern Im not sure on the above specifics but I will say many of the shareholders that spoke with s were very young, so I do not know if there is an issue in advancement.

My recruitment was a little different since they usually don't recruit from my school. It was more of an oddity that one of their shareholders like my school and came for a visit. I seemed to have a normal interview, although it was more of a conversation than an interrogation.

Amazing opportunity to learn and grow professionally

Chattanooga, TN | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The inclusion from staff and managers; not only were we included in meetings, but we were invited to outside office events like TSCPA meetings, networking events, and lunches. I think that because this was held in the Summer, the staff wasn't as busy as normal, which was great. We were able to ask questions when needed and really learn as much as we could. It was such an amazing opportunity.

The only thing I might change would be the timeframe; it was a little difficult to coordinate and plan a community service project in the given amount of time.

I love that Elliott Davis Decosimo places a very high value on people and culture. I think that those are arguable two of the most important factors when looking at potential employers; there are endless opportunities to learn and grow within the firm, they allow you and encourage you to pursue your passions in the community, and place a high level of importance on work-life balance.

Advice to Management

I really cannot think of anything that I think the firm can do better. The firm offers everything that I had been looking for in an employer.

I was specifically asked about my education plans and my timeline for sitting for the CPA exam. Being able to provide hard deadlines or at least a general plan was crucial. I was also asked about my interests; tax versus audit, and various questions relating to that.

Friendly staff, community impact, and great client service

Charlotte, NC | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to know the people in the office (meals with every manager/senior manager and a shareholder dinner), getting a good look at bank and commercial audits

It was too short, I wish it had been the entire summer

See if you fit into this organization. It is all about the "feel" you get and that comes from both sides.

No behavioral questions, mainly just a conversation and is very relaxed.

You get to fully immerse yourself in the climate and culture of the accounting industry with amazing employees as your mentors.

Greenville, SC | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The hands on experience and completing assignments that added true value to the client

I truly enjoyed every aspect of the internship

This employer has true work/life balance and cares about you as a person . You will not be a part of a machine and your work will always be of value to them.